LeBron James' new Nike commercial offers glimpse of psyche if not shoes

Filed at 2:35 p.m. Monday

LeBron James' new Nike commercial features many, many voices in his head, a "Chuck" Barkley shoutout, a Don Johnson cameo and, gasp, a return to the set of "The Decision." He wears some cool outfits and eats some doughnuts. And he wonders aloud just what he should do. (Answer: not an hour-long special on ESPN. Maybe 30 minutes.) Anyway, this is kinda cool, kinda Kafkaesque. And I don't mean Mike Kafka.

Chad: 7 reasons the Heat won't win an NBA title

By Cindy Boren  | October 27, 2010; 5:05 AM ET
Categories:  LeBron James
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2010 World Series schedule: Giants, Rangers
Next: Lakers get hot, Heat does not ... but it's still a wee bit early

Comments

God, I am so sick of this guy! And people complain about Brett Favre being an egomaniac??

Posted by: fairfaxgoper | October 25, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Someone help him out! He is very confused!

Posted by: bstucki1 | October 25, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe u should just be u! Whoever the hell that is? A yankee, cowboy and ohio state fan who grew up hating cleveland but played the hometown hero while he was there! A guy who self proclaimed himself King James in high school! Who are U is the question! The moves u make define ur legacy! Maybe ur not the same guy who had the Decision but how do we know? We go by ur actions not ur words! Well one thing we do know for a fact is that UR NOT JORDAN! U told us that urself when u ran 2 Miami lookin for rings an switched from 23(Jordan) a number u never deserved to 6(Erving) another number u cant hold the weight of! Good Luck and maybe we'll figure out who u are when u do Prince! Oh yeah and we all know Dwade will have the ball with the game on the line! Somethin U never wanted!

Posted by: MDWILLWIN | October 26, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

That was probably the worst commercial of al time. That's good 30 seconds I'll never get back. Thanks!

Posted by: thedc_kid | October 26, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Great Commercial... Stop Hating..

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | October 26, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

What he should do is keep his mouth shut and play ball. GEEEZ! This guy needs attention more than a woman does!

Posted by: carterm1 | October 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

That was one of the best commercials to ever hit the TV. I'm not a Lebron fan but I like the way he and Nike politely told everybody its my decision to make. _ _ _ _ all yall. Very politically correct. Did you hear the shot they took at Charles Barkley but he has the nerve to be judge mental amidst all of the controversial things he has done over his career. Lebron did the same thing Barkley did when he joined Clyde Drexler, Scottie Pippen, Hakeem Olajuwon, and a host of others. He just didn't wait until he was old and a non factor.

Magic talking too but he played on Laker teams featuring the likes of Kareem Abdul Jabar, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Michael Thompson and a host of other all star worthy players.

MJ talking too. Yes he carried his team for years and didn't go anywhere before wining his multiple championships but the Bulls drafted Scottie Pippen who was arguably the second best all around player in the league many of the years he played in Chicago. Lebron + DWade+ Bosh = MJ+ Scottie Pippen+ HGrant. What is Mike really crying about? I'll tell you. He owns the Charlotte Bobcats and they have to play Orlando and Miami 4 times a year. LOL. What happen to the appreciation for competitiveness Mike? I've followed you since I was a baby and its one of the things I admired about you. Your willingness to overcome any obstacles to accomplish your goals.

On ego. The fans and the media are the ones that make athletes into prime ma donas, not the athletes themselves. Lebron took as much time as he wanted to to make an important decision that could affect the way his life plays out. I do that everyday I'm just not a millionaire so no one really cares. Lebron honored his lease to the Cleveland Cavaliers and moved on after his obligations were filled. The situation wasn't working out anymore and he needed a change of pace and scenery in life(e.g., new job). We, regular people, make decisions like this everyday also. Media make athletes lives bigger than the average person when the fact of the matter is the mans eats and _ h _ _ s like we all do. They also have appointment with the creator just like I do.

So what he didn't tell Cleveland fans he wanted to leave. Owners do it everyday. Look right in players faces and tell them that they are not on the trading block and the next day, their agent calls and says, "you just got traded". The owner tells the employer it was a business decision and this is a great opportunity for you while kicking you in the ass as you walk out the door.But the athletes has to get used to a new city, teamates, schools for children etc.

I'm a Wizards fan still aggravated by a certain non-traveling call in the year where it was probably our year so don't think I'm jumping to Lebron's defense as a Lebron fan.

I just like the way he put personal feelings aside for a second to handle business in a cut throat world based on what you've done for me lately.Haters get a life and KICK rock why you're at it.

Posted by: JWADE4 | October 26, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

F LeQUIT and Nike. Good luck selling anything LeQuit endorses outside of South Florida.

LeQuit will always be HATED in Ohio, new York, New Jersey, Chicago, Toronto , L. A. , the Midwest.

Nike. You have a problem. Stupid commercial.

Posted by: maryanncleveland | October 26, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

My God, this guy is such a punk.
I used to be a huge NBA fan but I haven't watched an NBA game in twenty years. Just have no desire to watch such low lifes as Bryant, Iverson, and now James.

Posted by: state82 | October 26, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The commercial is a conversation piece....I still am not a fan...haven't been since day 1 he stepped into the NBA....So keep on listening to your friends because 'They are your friends'..STAMPED

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 26, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Great commercial - agree!

Posted by: washwiz | October 27, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse