LeBron vs. Tiger: Which Nike ad just does it better?

When the images of two of of its biggest clients took horrific hits, Nike created commercials as part of the rehabilitation of Tiger Woods and LeBron James.

They may not have achieved that goal, but the dramatic, introspective ads have gotten a ton of attention. The ad featuring Woods appeared in early April, right before the Masters, and featured a voiceover by Woods' late father, Earl. James' commercial first appeared earlier this week, ahead of James' debut with the Miami Heat.

Which commercial do you think is more effective? And...do these even work?

By Cindy Boren  | October 27, 2010; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  LeBron James, Tiger Woods
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lakers get hot, Heat does not ... but it's still a wee bit early
Next: Justin Bieber gets Phil Jackson's championship ring ... on loan

Comments

The dumbness continues. What should LeBron do? Shut up and play basketball.

Posted by: johnsont47 | October 27, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to me that a for-profit company is so reliant on these athletes that when they need reputation rehabilitation, Nike will run ads that don't sell anything.

In neither case do I think these ads are effective in making Nike products associated with high-performance athletics.

Posted by: dcborn61 | October 27, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Going to have to disagree with you dcborn. The obvious reason is that public's opinion of LeBron James will directly affect Nike's sales of anything related to him. So why do they run an ad that "doesn't sell anything?" Because it sells everything. Nike knows that LeBron James is a marketable brand, and Nike also knows that the higher people think of him, the more $$ they'll spend on his products. And, according to Darren Rovell, it's working. He reported that 90% of twitter reactions were positive. The ad is a great ad. And johnsont47 - maybe LeBron would shut up and play basketball if American media would let him.

As a side note, I have no connection to Cleveland or Miami, and therefore have no bias. Simply an observer...

Posted by: ricerc | October 27, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I am from Cleveland. I don't like him. I think the Nike commercial was extremely well made, and I think he should shut up and play basketball.

Posted by: jinez1 | October 27, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@ricerc - "maybe LeBron would shut up and play basketball if American media would let him."

Hahahahahaha. Yeah, it was the American media that forced him to take out a 90-minute ego-special to announce "where he was taking his talents." All professional atheletes are cocky, but this reaches a whole new level of selfadmiration that it is disgusting. I really don't like Lebron James because he thinks of himself as the greatest, but he's not. The greatest players of all time won championships with "their" teams by beating the other greats, not by joining up to create a "superteam". He's a clown.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | October 27, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Watch me play (not so fast, Cleveland, I'm taking this to South Florida)"
"Root for me"
"Buy my shoes"
"Wear my jerseys"

But I'm not a role model.

"What should I do?"

LeBron...I DON'T CARE!

Posted by: fjc33 | October 27, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

hard to tell which is the bigger ahole. neither ad is captioned for the deaf to enjoy. fnike fwapo.

Posted by: bnglfn | October 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

A very well-made commercial, but Lebron doesn't answer the one lingering question: Why did he quit in Game 5 vs. Celtics and hence throw the series. The bottom line is whether LeQuit will still sell shoes; the answer is that his brand is ruined, like Tiger's, and Nike is just trying to save its investment. The sales numbers are all that matters. LeChoke is a great player on the court, but that's all.

Posted by: DavidEden | October 27, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

He,Lebron,ask the question what should I do?Tell the truth and own what you did.Stop acting like you are some kind of victim.I have four sons and I have been telling them all their lives,you have no control over the consequences.

Posted by: zillion216 | October 27, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Yawn. Look at me, buy my crap, pay me millions. Typical sports-entertainer bum. Lives in a bubble with his posse of "yes men". Lebron, you dumped on your real fans in Cleveland to go to Miami. When things go poorly for the Heat and you don't win the championship, your fairweather fans in Miami will turn on you. Everyone will want to know why did the team spend so much and still not win?

Posted by: ex-Navy | October 27, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse