Michael Vick has 'rib cartilage injury,' Andy Reid says

Michael Vick suffered a "rib cartilage injury" in the Philadelphia Eagles' loss to the Washington Redskins on Sunday, Eagles Coach Andy Reid said in a press conference today in Philadelphia.

"There are no broken bones, but it is up high, between the second and third ribs," Reid said, adding that the cartilage looks "cracked" and the injury is near the sternum.

LeSean McCoy suffered "a rib fracture" against the Redskins, he said.

Reid gave no specific timetable for Vick's return, saying he was week to week and adding that if he is as sore Wednesday as he is today, Kevin Kolb will run first-team offense during practice.

Vick, asked how he felt as he entered the Eagles' facility, said: "Better."

By Cindy Boren  | October 4, 2010; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Michael Vick
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kobe Bryant says he'd beat LeBron James in one-on-one game
Next: Report: Are Redskins seeking to trade Devin Thomas?

Comments

Buckle your chin strap against the Skins. List of players brutalized by the Skins.

Andre Johnson (ankle)
Stephen Jackson (leg)
Mike Vick (chest & ribs)
Asante Samuel (concussion)
Lesean McCoy (crushed rib)

Whose next?

Posted by: MadeRED | October 4, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Whose next?

Posted by: MadeRED |

loooool it is all about meat and potatoes baby.

Posted by: jm220 | October 4, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations. The Redskins are the toughest team in the league that will go 6-10. Do you get a trophy for that?

Posted by: Aerowaz | October 4, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Too bad they did not break his legs, arms
or neck - Michael Vick - animal killer.

They should have done to Vick what he did
to the poor, innocent, beautiful canines
he so viciously killed and abused.

Posted by: Sirius2 | October 4, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping that Haynesworth might step up and do a "Lawrence Taylor on Joe Theisman" on Vick and end his football career. Then, Albert would have earned every bit of the $100 million contract.

Posted by: RightWinger1 | October 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@ RightWinger1 and Sirius:

aaaaahhhhhhh shut it up.
You two probably pass over the homeless on a daily basis and devour your flavored, tortured chicken and beef without guilt. Stop putting animals above humans all because the dog has more personality. :>/

Vick paids his dues. $25 million plus jail time. Move on and get over it.

Hope to see Vick recover and its good to see he is at superstar status again.

Posted by: HURICARDO | October 4, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Too bad they did not break his legs, arms
or neck - Michael Vick - animal killer.

They should have done to Vick what he did
to the poor, innocent, beautiful canines
he so viciously killed and abused.

Posted by: Sirius2
----------------
Face it. You guys are in the minority and it's a little sad the way you keep repeating the same thing over and over whenver an article about Vick comes up. Give it a rest. The man has done his time and paid his debts for his crime. Most people except the extremists understand this.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | October 4, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Bodybag game for the Skins.....knocked the Eagles square in the mouth on the opening kickoff and continued to put Eagles on the sideline. It was beautiful to watch!! Hail!! The Beagles never recovered...love love love!!

Posted by: GMorg11 | October 4, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

HURICARDO, compassion and empathy (especially for helpless living creatures) is not a zero sum hierarchical equation.

Compassion for non-humans can and should coexist with compassion for humans. After all, they coexist with us and are at risk of being abused. If you want to play that "game" where does that end? No compassion for adult crime victims until all abused children are cared for and "fixed"? No compassion for victims of assault until justice is served for murder victims?

As for Vick, I still see his selfishness and lack of personal accountability. He's always talking about all the "bad stuff" that has "happened to [him]", not that he brought all this upon himself. Also in his interview with Jim Mora Jr., he acknowledged being "unprofessional", "immature" and not having a good work ethic, but "it wasn't 100% [his] fault." He was "only 25 or 26, you know".

And speaking of lack of empathy, I wonder if he is aware of the irony of his "redemption" despite stealing Arthur Blank's money or his second chance with the Eagles despite not being able to perform next week. After all, he could just have easily been shot, electrocuted, hung, or drowned for "not performing up to expectations". All actions he acknowledged personally "executing" himself on "underperforming" dogs. And they didn't even get $100 Million for doing a lousy job.

Posted by: bubbabobcat | October 4, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Man, people are rough. Let it go people, Vick paid his dues, you all must be perfect in every way to be so self righteous.

I think we dodged a bullet there with Vick going down. I have to think had he not been hurt, that game would have been closer, which would have been impossible considering Avant had the game won. Someone remind Rogers that knocking a ball down is not the same as a pick. Let's see if we can get the O going next week and keep it running through the game. let Big Al play, he makes plays.

As for th Eagles I guess they have to make a decision and apparently they'll get a good look at 12.5mil Kolb. Looked pretty shaky. I think Vick is back in a big way, so, I'm hoping the Eagles stick with Kolb

Posted by: anolecrab24 | October 4, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@bubbabobcat

you're an idiot, this was the real quote. You need to brush up on your reading and comprehension.

“I think about it a lot, Coach. I was selfish in some aspects. I didn’t dedicate myself. I didn’t listen. [You were] only trying to help me in so many ways. And I was just young. I can’t blame myself for that, neither. I can’t put 100 percent of the blame on me being young, because I was 25, 26 years old then. So you’re old enough to make rational decisions for yourself.” – Vick, when asked by Mora if he was conned by him

Posted by: njwright911 | October 4, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Vick paid his dues, and seems to have learned from his mistakes.

Some of the people commenting here seem plenty cruel themselves. I guess they wish that THEY were good at something.

Instead, they have made themselves the definition of powerless.

Posted by: Benson | October 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You want to know when Vick will have paid for his actions? When he gets the same thing done to him that he did to defenseless animals. Then we can say that things are square.

Posted by: buster_c | October 4, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Unless you're a TRUE Vegan I say shut it up.

I laugh at these comments especially the: "compassion and empathy (especially for helpless living creatures)" by bubbabobcat.

People hunt deer hang thier heads on thier living room walls. Hide in bushes and shoot baby geese from the sky, and stuff others all while they are not hungry. And even if you are hungry that beef u enjoy from Mick Dees came from a cow that was tortured, hung upside to bleed to death from a slit throat.

Don't get me wrong, what Vick did was cruel and hell of stupid but geeezzz, he paid his dues.

Do all of you seek the death penalty for all those who hunt fuzzy warm animals? And to add there is nothing fuzzy and warm about viscous pitt bulls :>/

I am all for animal rights but there are constraints to everything such as not placing animals over people. Come on.

Go VICK!

Posted by: HURICARDO | October 4, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

This whole bit from Vick supporters that he made a "mistake" and has paid for his crimes is one of the worst cases of justification through self-delusion that I have ever seen. The bottom line is that you don't want to have your Sunday disrupted by having to think about issues and morality so you make excuses. Be honest, you don't care what he did because you are completely self-centered and want to play out your adolescent hero fantasies through athletes without being bothered by pesky social concerns.

Has everybody made a mistake? Probably. But, we are not talking about mistakes (i.e., lapse/error in judgment), we are talking about FELONIES (i.e., serious crimes). Have most people committed FELONIES? Doubtful. And, everybody knows this and no rational person could confuse the two. So when people offer this, I find it hard to take them seriously. I doubt anybody believes it but just wants some lame excuse to quiet that nagging feeling that rationally they should not be condoning this by watching.

Personally, I find dog-fighting particularly heinous and offensive but to a certain point I don't think the offense matters. Vick actions were felonies. We can make this real simple - commit a felony, then lose your career. This is where people say it's unfair and that he has paid his debt. But, that isn't how it works in the real world. I am a law student, have a pharmacy technician license and am an adjunct professor. If I commit a felony (and some misdemeanors), then no bar exam, tech. license or university job. My dad was a cop; he would have lost his job. Wife is a pharmacist; she would lose her license. Father-in-law & step-mother-in-law are teachers; they would lose their jobs. Sister-in-law is a nurse, she would lose her license. Brother is an actuary; he would lose his job. My mother-in-law was convicted of receipt of stolen property for stupidly buying a hot computer from her stepson. She was immediately fired from her job as a secretary where she had worked for 18 years with no questions asked or opportunity for a 2nd-chance granted. After serving 4 months in county lock-up, she was released. She has a college-degree and lots of work experience. After 8 months of being out of lock-up, she still couldn't find a job. Now she works at a gas-station for about 1/3 of her previous salary with none of her old benefits. This is the way the world works, and again, everybody knows this. But, nobody is crying about how unfair any of this would be.

If anything is unfair, it is that Vick and his felon-football-player brethren don't have to live by the same standards that the rest of us do. If you support Vick, be honest about it. Admit that your game and "fantasy" team is more important to you than the society that we share. Admit that wins matter more than morals. Quit offering silly justifications about mistakes or 2nd chances. Admit to us that you are just that self-centered and shallow but being stupid & delusional in addition is pathetic.

Posted by: djkd25 | October 4, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HURICARDO | October 4, 2010 4:39 PM:

"And to add there is nothing fuzzy and warm about viscous [sic] pitt [sic] bulls"

Well that's all and great HURICARDO, but the rest of us aren't talking about thick liquidy bovines from Pittsburgh. And the rest of your rant suffers redundantly from the same fallacies of your original screed. So all levels of cruelty are acceptable unless and until it is 100% eradicated in total? And not that I condone killing living creatures for "sport", but Michael Vick engaged in cruelty in which he "trained" animals to harm and kill each other against their will for "entertainment" and profit.

And one final note H, how do you know that I only eat Kosher beef if any at all? Non Kosher beef slaughter is not how you have gruesomely described.

And as for njwright911, that's great you found the direct quote. And what part of "I can’t blame myself for that, neither" indicates he takes full responsibility for his actions?

Posted by: bubbabobcat | October 4, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

if you eat chicken, beef, pork, shut up.

Posted by: njwright911 | October 4, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Since Vick was injured, he isn't a winner and needs to be shot or drowned.

Posted by: veerle1 | October 4, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

To NJWright911:

I'm a vegan actually (for about 15 years). Don't wear leather either or use products tested on animals. Nor have I ever been convicted of a felony (or misdemeanor for that matter) and would fully accept that I would be disqualified from the bar and my career if I did (and wouldn't complain about the fact that I would have $250k in loans for a profession that I couldn't practice either). However, I fail to see what any of that has to do with my position since I didn't make any distinction between animal abuse felonies and other felonies in terms of being banned from the NFL or any other profession (they are PROFESSIONAL athletes after all). My wife and I would basically lose everything (which is a lot less than Vick had) if either of us were convicted of a crime and nobody would care about us or cry about how unfair we were being treated. So, it's pretty easy for us; we don't break the law.

Posted by: djkd25 | October 4, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse