Shawne Merriman place on Chargers' reserve-injured list

At least as far as the San Diego Chargers are concerned, Shawne Merriman will not play again this season.

The former Maryland linebacker has been placed by the team on its reserve-injured list because of a calf injury designated as minor (less than six weeks recovery time). When he is healthy again, the team must release him. He could then sign with and play for another team this season.

"I have been blessed to call San Diego my home for the past six years. I can't say enough about my teammates, the coaching staff and of course the fans who have made my career with the Chargers such an amazing experience," Merriman said in a statement released by the team.

"I am approaching this situation as an opportunity to grow as a player and to bring my leadership and talents to a new organization. I am ready for the next chapter in my career and I am excited about the opportunity to continue my journey with a new team."

Merriman, 26, was suspended four games in 2006 after testing positive for steroids. He underwent reconstructive knee surgery in 2008 and played in only one game; last year, he was bothered by other injuries and had only four sacks. He has five tackles in three games this season.

By Cindy Boren  | October 13, 2010; 12:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lana Lawless, transgender golfer, sues LPGA over birth rule
Next: Gilbert Arenas: "I screwed up again. I just want to say, 'Sorry' "

Comments

Let the Shawne Merriman story be a lesson to all youngsters: don't do drugs.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | October 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Love to Merriman is burgandy and gold.

Posted by: ScottChallenger | October 13, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope that the Redskins front office will try to get this man! I wonder if he fits the defense that the Redskins are playing? Any coaches (fans) have an answer for this? BTW, F-Dallas!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 13, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

We could use another rush lb... bring him home Bruce!

Posted by: DMoney28 | October 13, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Skins, go get him!!

Posted by: poeticfire | October 13, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo and Merriman at OLB is illegal; two grown-ups playing pin the tail on the donkey...

Posted by: bernard_thompson | October 13, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

The Merriman of 2010 is not the Merriman of 2006.

Cumulative injuries and the use of steroids have Merriman on a list of players I wouldn't touch.

He's damaged goods.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 13, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Why would you want this guy? His talents tanked once he stopped juicing. You guys think like Snyder.

Posted by: jbworldwide | October 13, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins can get Merriman for a bargain..WHY NOT!! Once he gets to be or close to 100% healthy..plus he'll play with a HUGE chip on his shoulder (i.e look at Brandon Loyd - Kyle Orton, the best receiver & QB ever..SARCASM!!) I say make it happen and bring him HOME - ("56" in the Burgandy n Gold..sorry Lavar!!)

Imagine Orakpo on one side and Merriman on the other (in the 3-4 defense)

Orakpo + Merriman = (O.M.G)!!!

r.S

Posted by: rizz0123 | October 14, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

We want Merriman for the rest of the season to see if he would fit Haslett's concept of the 3-4 for the next 3 years. He can play with his hand in the dirt too. Or would you rather see Andre Carter out there again?

Posted by: karlw171 | October 14, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

SKINS SIGN HIM ASAP.... w/ him on one side and ORAKPO on the other we will kill O LINES

Posted by: kj0413 | October 14, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

If the Redskins did get Shawne Merriman you could say that "ah the Redskins and Synder are back to there old ways!" However I don't believe that because Merriman in burgandy and gold makes sense depending on the price. The Redskins have a glaring need at outside linebacker and there dept at the position isn't impressive. You of course have Orakpo at outside linebacker but then there is really nobody. You have a 4-3 DE Andre Carter playing out of position, and now basically benched for an athletic defensive linemen Lorenzo Alexander who in my opinon is better fitted to play DE in a 3-4. Adding Merriman at outside lineback in a 3-4 scheme that he is accustomed to would fit and make sense. He is 26 years old and has had injuries young in his career and can bounce back from. For the right price, this would be an intriging move. The Redskins use to make deals the other way/ send a 2nd round draft pick to Miami for a 3-4 DE/Outside Lineback that is 34 years old and try to make him fit a 4-3 scheme he has never played in. That is Synder. Picking up Merriman wouldn't be close to that. That sounds like filling a need if the the price is right. Book it Bruce.

Posted by: TheReporter | October 14, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Grab Dude!

If his price is right take him!
Please!
I believe the wheels are about to fall off the Skins D so they will need back-up now!

Posted by: shamken | October 14, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse