Posted at 10:20 AM ET, 11/30/2010

Drew Brees is Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year

By Cindy Boren

drewbrees.jpg

For the third time in six years, an NFL quarterback is Sports Illustrated's choice for Sportsman of the Year. And, no offense to Tom Brady or Brett Favre, but this QB takes the award to another level.

Drew Brees, who led the New Orleans Saints to victory in the Super Bowl, will be presented with the award Tuesday in New York, becoming the fifth NFL quarterback to win the award (Terry Bradshaw in 1979, Joe Montana in 1990, Brady in 2005 and Favre in 2007).

Brees, 31, wins the award for more than merely being a Super Bowl champion. He helped lift a hurricane-ravaged city to a rebirth that happened to coincide with his own career renewal. As Brees has said of coming to New Orleans after his shoulder surgery and its Hurricane Katrina: "I needed New Orleans just as much as New Orleans needed me."

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

"It's an unbelievable honor, for everything that it stands for," Brees said on "Today." "And it just makes me reflect back on the last five years in New Orleans, and the teams that I've had the opportunity to play for. And it's just been a special, special journey."

I just wanted 2 say congrats 2 my buddy @drewbrees 4 being named SI Sportsmen of the Year - Can't think of a more worthy recipient! WellDoneless than a minute ago via web

By Cindy Boren  | November 30, 2010; 10:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Councilman Jack Evans wants FedEx Field replaced
Next: Derek Anderson gives Dennis Green a run for his money after Arizona Cardinals' loss

Comments

C'mon Man! It's Drew Brees NOT Drew Bledsoe!!!

Posted by: lek91091 | November 30, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Bledsoe? Bledsoe?

Good Lord the WaPo is incompetent. Cindy Boren should be forced to write obituaries for a month for that crap. But she's probably screw that up too.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 30, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

this is easily the 3rd error in wp.com's reporting this morning...frustrating to see a lack of attention to detail in a field supposedly dedicated to accuracy.

Posted by: cm44 | November 30, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Should have been Coach K for the NCAA and World Championship wins.

Posted by: Corn_Laden | November 30, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Drew Brees is very deserving of this award.

There is a minor typo in the first sentence of the second paragraph. It should be "Brees," not "Bledsoe."

Posted by: coffeeclutcher | November 30, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Drew Brees told old retired NFL players to go to he11 with their old broke down @ZZes!!!! "I need all my money" (before he won a Super Bowl) .....

After winning a Super Bowl it is profitable for Brees to be a really nice guy. Drew Brees is a fake, a fraud and a phony. ("Just ask Mike Ditka & the NFL PA")

Posted by: gokusc1 | November 30, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

After winning a Super Bowl it is profitable for Brees to be a really nice guy. Drew Brees is a fake, a fraud and a phony. ("Just ask Mike Ditka & the NFLPA")

The NFLPA AND the Owners should give a little more the retired players. The situation is a classic story of American greed and akin to many others that are collectively bringing this country to its knees. Sorry for being so severe, but this is happening. I'm a Republican BTW ... so don't go calling me a socialist. How's that for some flame bait?

Posted by: gokusc1 | November 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I must confess. As a Sacramento native and a former life-long 49ers fan, after being a tourist trapped in the Superdome during Katrina & the levee failures, I switched my loyalties to the Saints. Drew is quite deserving of this award, as are tons of individual volunteers who have done so much to help restore NOLA and the Miss. Gulf Coast.

Paul Harris
Author, "Diary From the Dome, Reflection on Fear and Privilege During Katrina"

Posted by: patriotpaul | November 30, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse