Posted at 4:05 PM ET, 11/18/2010

Michael Wilbon is leaving The Post

By Cindy Boren

Michael Wilbon, who has graced The Washington Post with his writing for almost 32 years, is leaving us.

Of course, the news isn't really a surprise; he became a big-cheese TV star a few years back and ESPN and Disney would like more of his time. You can't blame them for that, but we're sad nonetheless. I knew the world had changed for him when, as we walked down the hall at the 2002 Super Bowl, we saw Mike Ditka. I wondered if Wilbon would stop Ditka to say hello. Turned out it was the other way around. Frankly, we've been on borrowed time ever since.

So, congrats, Mike, and hugs. And do pardon us if we hang on like Van Gundy with Mourning. You made us all so much better.

Here's the full statement from the Post:

"In many respects this should come as no surprise to anyone here, but it doesn't mean that making this announcement is any easier. The ESPN/ABC rocket ship that Michael Wilbon has been riding the past several years has finally left our orbit. Wilbon will soon be leaving the Post - a place he has called home for nearly 32 years - as he takes on an even greater role for his networks and their parent company, Disney.

Mike is many things. Talented. Gracious. Smart. Witty. He'll tell you that despite his increasing fame and renown, in his mind he still considers this newspaper to be the only place he's ever worked. So this decision did not come easy for him. In fact, he long hoped that he would not have to make it.

We'll have occasions to toast Mike in the weeks ahead. But for now, let us just say that for a kid from Northwestern who began as an intern here in the summer of 1979 and went on to amass 5,982 bylines in Sports (before ArkType stopped counting with the arrival of Methode), 34 bylines on A1, 7 bylines in Metro, 3 in Style, 2 in Business, 2 in the Magazine and 1 in Outlook, it's been one heck of a ride. We'll make him earn a few more bylines before the end of the year."

Marcus Liz Raju Matt

By Cindy Boren  | November 18, 2010; 4:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Mississippi State booster was offered payment plan designed to get Cam Newton to sign
Next: Former Indiana player A.J. Moye recovering from stroke in Frankfurt

Comments

Where's the "Soccer" tab under the Twitter lists?

Posted by: T_Walter | November 18, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Mike. Well, this ought to make some hateful commenters very, very happy. It seemed like Wilbon was the most reviled of all of the sports writers at the Post for some reason or another. Well, he has a beautiful career and best wishes to him.

Posted by: forgetthis | November 18, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this is the last we hear from him.

Posted by: JohnWallDance1 | November 18, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Who next? Kornheiser? Oh, wait...

Posted by: bsumner | November 18, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Major loss to the Post--no two ways.

Kornheiser and Wilbon.

Now an inseperable pair in the cosmos---like Butch and Sundance, Burns and Allen, Siskel and Ebert, Batman and Robin, Click and Clack, Frodo and Sam, Burr and Hamilton, Lennon and McCartney, Lewis and Clark...and on and on...

As an Old Guy, it's beginning to feel like the last six minutes of Six Feet Under.

Posted by: Bluefish2012 | November 18, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

If this means I won't have to read his trash talk about Ovechkin anymore, or his defense of Tiger Woods, then adios with pleasure.

Posted by: pirate1 | November 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I guess there'll be no more Wilbon for me since I refuse to watch ESPN. He'll missed for his insightful comments and excellent writing. Even when I disagreed with him I enjoyed the writing.

When I worked at The Post he was one of the few "celebrity" journalists who would take the time to say hello to the regular folk in the elevators or the cafeteria or just anywhere you happened to see him in the building. All around good guy from my brief personal impressions.

Posted by: Solnoir | November 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The columns and the chats will be missed. I hope that Mike will allow someone to take the best of his columns and compile them into a book, or two, or three. As a kid I loved reading the books of old columns by the likes of Red Smith adn Jimmy Cannon. As an adult I would love rereading the best of Wilbon, who has been by far my favorite sportswriter since I first read him in the summer of '89.

Posted by: merryslav | November 18, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see him go, but glad the Post isn't going to be doing their usual stupid thing of continuing to pay columnists who've stopped writing for the Post because of their outside work. Maybe they'll become a profitable arm of the company now.

Posted by: prokaryote | November 18, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

In my list of inseperable pairs, this paper/website being the Washington Post, who can leave out Woodward and Bernstein or Graham and Bradlee?

Posted by: Bluefish2012 | November 18, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

We'll soon see if there is a quota for black racists at the Post Sports department, based on whether someone steps up to fill Wilbon's shoes.
Good riddance.

Posted by: pcalver1 | November 18, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Bluefish,

You missed Harden and Weaver, true Washingtonians. Everything else works just fine.

Posted by: Geezer4 | November 18, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Obvious racism is at play.

Posted by: sjp879 | November 18, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I said "good riddance" to Wilbon after reading his "My upbringing was better than guys like Sean Taylor" therefore "I'm better than guys like Sean Taylor" type of comments when Sean Taylor died.

Posted by: gitouttahere | November 18, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess it's not surprising to see a scattering of racial comments mixed in here, but hey, this is America. And 40 years ago it would have been much worse.

Too bad about Wilbon's departure, since he, Boswell, Beyer and Sally Jenkins are the true class acts in the Post's sports section. One thing I always respected about Wilbon is that unlike so many opinionating blowhards, he was the first to admit to his limited knowledge in sports that were outside his main interest.

And when it comes to football, basketball, and the human psychology of the modern athlete, there's seldom been a sportswriter with greater insight. Best of luck to him, and my condolences to the Post.

Posted by: andym108 | November 18, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I remember when the Post sports columnists were: Boswell, Wilbon, Kornheiser. How's that for a rotation? Never missed a word of any of them. Now it's down to just one - dang.

Posted by: jjennings2 | November 18, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Can Wilbon take Mike Wise with him ???

Posted by: sj9096 | November 18, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean they can fire Mike Wise because the quota is now change! PLEASE!
Good news is with wilbon leaving there's no need to have pick up the paper to see the don't ask don't tell headline for the past 3 years on my way to sports!

Posted by: jdb70 | November 18, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Mike. I will certainly miss reading the insightful, thoughtful columns that you've written for the Post all of these years. (Although I certainly won't miss going to battle for you and trying to defend you from many of the racist jerks on the comment post board of those columns who--ironically--unfairly and inaccurately labeled you a racist.)But I wish you all of the best in greener pastures my Brother!

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | November 18, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow. No more Wilbon at the Post soon. While he has been an irregular presence in terms of his columns at times, I've always enjoyed his appearances in the Chat House. No Kornheiser and no Wilbon. The Sports section just isn't the same. It's like the Agatha Christie book "Ten Little Indians" - and then there was one (Boswell) (no disrespect to Sally or Andy Beyer, but Sally is a relatively recent addition and Beyer just does the ponies).

Posted by: gkronenberg | November 18, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Shame on all those who use Wilbon's departure to hiss their racist views. Good, bad or otherwise, the quality of Wilbon's body of work, not his skin color, speaks for itself. I, for one, will not miss the bullying and thin-skinned responses Wilbon often offered in his chats. There's nothing wrong with having a strong opinion, but to deliver those opinions by using bluster and false bravado suggests a less than agile intellect.

Posted by: rukidding1 | November 18, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The soap opera queen of Washington sports has FINALLY left the building. Take care Mikey.

Posted by: dcperspective | November 18, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

@gitouttahere, I'm with you. "Good riddance" was the first thought that came to my mind too. I stopped reading his column after seeing his response to the Sean Taylor murder. I never forgave him for his callous, superior attitude after the murder and have no interest in his work at ESPN. Again, good riddance.

Posted by: LindaL1 | November 18, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys - don't upset yourself about some of the comments in here. There's a Wilbon line I use all the time. I don't know if anyone said it before, but he's the one I read it from first:

"It don't take long to figure out a man's agenda."

So true, so true!

Posted by: terry_rudolph | November 18, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Michael, for all the money you made me because I usually laid wagers against your opinions about how games would turn out, or how some team is hopeless or another is unbeatable. Thanks again.

Posted by: TripleH44 | November 18, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I grew up reading Wilbon and for many years he was by far the best reason to read the Post, but over the past decade he became too close to the athletes he covered and lost the perspective of the fans.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | November 18, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations on your next stage, Mr. Wilbon! I've read your columns for years and will miss your perspective, but am glad to hear your daily opinion on PTI. To those here who've posted the ridiculous "good riddance" comments, you sadly are unable to value or appreciate the talents of true columnists.

Posted by: missDC1 | November 18, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is a big-time sports broadcasting talent. Having said that, I always felt that he gave black athletes a pass on their transgressions. I'll never forget a column he wrote when Florida State star receiver Peter Warrick was arrested. Warrick went into a Dillards dept store, paid $20 and came out with $400 worth of merchandise. He was arrested for shoplifting. Wilbon actually defended this scum in a column and said that "he was only trading on his celebrity status." It made me sick to my stomach.

Posted by: 2360623185 | November 18, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fitzroysq | November 18, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

No Kornheiser, No Wilbon, when there is no Boswell, I guess I cancel my Post subscription. Why else would you buy the Post?

Posted by: kinsman_bob | November 18, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance. Let's see how the mouse house likes it when he flippantly throws around the race card at his convenience.

Posted by: pwilly | November 18, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Please take Courtland Milloy and Eugene Robinson with you. The three of them are the biggest race baiters in journalism.

Posted by: MKadyman | November 18, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

it's been a long time since wilbon was a practicing journalist, but for a time he was second only to boswell as a wapo sportwriter/columnist who could actually write well.

Posted by: george32 | November 18, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is most entertaining. I will miss his work in the Post, I have to admit. I just hope they replace him with someone who is actually willing to admit that the Nationals exist. He became too much of a national writer to even deign to be a Nationals writer. We need more than just Boswell to write columns about the hometown baseball team.

Good luck Mike, and ignore the knuckleheads.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | November 18, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

don't let the door hit in you in arse..Wilbon was never about DC or its teams and i for one had grown tired of his constant criticisms of OUR teams. I'm happy that he has decided to move on. I only wish we could get Tony back.

Posted by: ralston21 | November 18, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Northwestern alum Mr. Wilbon does have a certain charm and sense of humor. Oh well, thanks to ESPN/ABC, sports fans will still be treated to his hometown Chicago and all other points east of the Mississippi sports commentary bias.

Posted by: Eureka1 | November 18, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I am sad and will miss your work, Mr. Wilbon. I apologize for the racist jerks here.

Maybe you could a guest column now and then? How could you just up and stop writing? As a writer, I think that would be too difficult. I think you'll have to write something. Maybe on your own site?

Posted by: Win2 | November 18, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I am not an avid reader of the sports pages, but I always read Michael Wilbon. The quality of his writing far outstripped many of the other columnists at the Post.

Good luck, I will miss reading your column, and please come back from time to time!

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 18, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Mike, I will miss your work at the Post but hopefully they will let you type up a few for espn.com. Keep telling it like it is and don't let these jealous regressives change you one bit.

Posted by: gbraxton7 | November 18, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Quick favor, everybody.

Can we please retire the insipid, trite, stupid phrase "It's been a great ride" (and all its dumb variations) once-and-for-all.

It is just so lame. It is the "high five" of farewells.

OK? Show of hands?

Posted by: SwellLevel5 | November 18, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I have been reading Wilbons work since my days at UMD. Saw him develop into a star and have had a chance to meet him at a Skins game. He just "gets it." He understands the fans perspective, the owners perspective and knows when to blast in that cold objectivity that homers hate. Hopefully, they will let him drop a few lines on espn.com. Godspeed Mike! Don't let these jealous haters change you one bit. Keep telling it like it is.

Posted by: gbraxton7 | November 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

to the open minded reader, Mike Wilbon was always a pleasure - didn't always agree with him, but always appreciated his insight or knowledge. Fortunately, the Post still has a stable of great sports writers - still my favorite section of the paper (okay, escapism is part of the reason)

Posted by: humbleandfree | November 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance Wilbon you racist.

Posted by: thorhero | November 18, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

This is actually a moment I have been waiting for. He was never a DC fan and always took up bashing our own while defending outsiders. He made a conscious decision to stop reading anything he writes... now, I wont have to make that decision on a daily basis everytime I read the post online. He is a good writer, knows his stuff but the way he writes is supremely arrogant and often in a know-it-all persona. It should be mentioned that those traits are what got him to the top but along the way he lost my respect and credibility when it came to reporting on our local teams and players...

Posted by: Samuraise | November 18, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance! After the way he handled the sean taylor death and his ill informed articles about ovechkin, I'm really not gonna miss this guy.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. See ya!

Posted by: kld34 | November 18, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

First Tony, now Mike. This is truly sad news.

Mike, this fellow Wildcat will miss your insight, and dare I say it, "black perspective" on stories. You and Tony have had the guts to tackle issues of race in a thoughtful and honest way that most so-called "news journalists" never would touch. I am one white sports fan who appreciates reading your perspective, even when I do not always agree with it or understand it.

For these racial pinheads, WHO ELSE is supposed to give us a black perspective other than an African American writer? Or are we just supposed to pretend that stories involving people like Donovan McNabb or Tiger Woods or Michael Vick never have a racial component to them?

Posted by: jaypem | November 18, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Can't say that it comes as a surprise but I always hoped this day wouldn't come. I've read Wilbon, Kornheiser and Boswell since I can remember and its a shame its down to one. Hopefully Wilbon has some time to write for espn.com once in awhile. You will be missed.

To all the racists and homers that seem to dislike the man and his writing so much did you ever think to just not reading his articles. I guess you have nothing better to do with your time than spew hateful nonsense.

Posted by: mwood9 | November 18, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

He was alright. Nothing special..Kornheiser was the best sportswriter this leftist rag ever saw, or ever will see.

Posted by: wewintheylose | November 18, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see WAPO start pruning the racists! If only Eugene Robinson would be next Id believe that this oboe fine paper actually stood for something honorable.... Instead they hire guys who play the race card in every article... Wilbon was the poster child... Good riddance scumbag!!!

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | November 18, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

That's awesome!

Posted by: jamesacarroll | November 18, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I will surely miss your writing and thoughts whatever they were...Best of luck, I think you have done a great job.

Posted by: davidboyle1 | November 18, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh thank god at last

Posted by: Nemo24601 | November 18, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Though he'd become more erratic and the quality had declined in recents years as he became overextended (and his skin a bit thinner), this is really quite a loss. The ranks are getting thin at the Post. Boswell was the best before and still remains so. Kornheiser hadn't been good in YEARS (had he even been good? campy, yes, but insightful? well-researched? not really), so nothing really lost there. Steinberg is the best of the young bucks. Hope he gets groomed. But with all budget cuts and the gradual leaning of the newspaper industry, one wonders how long a paper even like the Post can survive. Really sad.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | November 18, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Take your seat at the Hall of Fame, Mr. Wilbon ... for lifetime achievement.

And take a bow. The best of the best.

Most memorable Wilbon column? His page long forceful rebuttal to John Feinstein's (perceived to be racist) Post op-ed (yes, it was not in the sports section) trashing Tiger Woods as he was about to win the British Open several years.

The Feinstein oped, as we recall, said something to the effect of: Tiger will never be a champion like Nicklaus regardless of how many majors he wins. When the Community was outraged by Feinstein's (perceived to be) barely coded bigoted rant and demanded a response from somebody, from ANYBODY, Wilbon did not hesitate to answer the people's call and ripped Feinstein a new one with a searing, well reasoned column.
____________

Clearly I don't get what's going on at the Post. Folks like Froomkin and Wilbon go. Folks like Cillizza and Broder stay. Bizarro World stuff. Oh well.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 18, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Wait. Wait. Can we rethink this? Can Mike stay and Sally Jenkins go?

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 18, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

all the "racists" here, in my reading of these comments, are all calling Wilbon racist. But if it is racist to call Wilbon racist, then what does it make you when you call me racist? Not very bright, for starters. Notice that it doesn't matter who I am and what my race is in this little experiment.

Mr Wilbon, you have earned the right not to care anymore. Good luck.

Posted by: sorenoid | November 18, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Will miss you Wilbon. Good Luck!

Posted by: bbirdy202 | November 18, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon, for years, said he would "never" leave "The Post."

For him to go, had to be a force out, regardless of how it is explained. Yes, he has his health issues and the big bucks of the Mouse but.....his heart was "The Post."

The next generation is Mike Wise. He's every bit as good as Tony and Wilbon. However, "The Post," isn't so smart as to keep him. He'll be going to ESPN soon enough, himself.

Boswell....if you love baseball, you love his genius but that's as far as it extends with him. He has no gravitas apart from it. The rest of the new/next generation of sports columnists here: Tracy etc., IMHO, are second stringers who couldn't even make it as bloggers.

One had to see this coming the day that Rachel Nickles left after she was married. She was the A-lister of the up and comers.

Posted by: tcmits | November 18, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so!

Congrats to Wilbon. I'll miss criticizing your articles, la cool-aid drinker extraordinaire.

Posted by: boblas | November 18, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

If you want to read one of Wilbon's better columns, check this out. It's one he wrote a few days after his 2008 heart attack.

Posted by: 2360623185 | November 18, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I say good riddance!!! O Lord have mercy, does this mean we don't have to listen to this moron's vitriol anymore? when are they going to axe PTI? Party at my house when they do that.......yes I am serious

Posted by: garmistry | November 18, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MKadyman | November 18, 2010 6:37 PM
__________________________________________

Crap. You beat me to it. My sentiments exactly.

Posted by: hisroc | November 18, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

With Wilbon leaving, who's going write the regular column blaming race for every misfortune that befalls black athletes?

Posted by: stratman1 | November 18, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

The idea that race is NEVER an issue is as ridiculous as the idea that it's ALWAYS an issue. I never had a problem with Wilbon about race; I think he discussed it intelligently when it was appropriate, and I don't think he brought it up when it wasn't an issue.

However, my problem was Mr. Wilbon's celebrity status and how it interfered with his journalistic chops the last few years, which is the same thing that happened to Kornheiser, whose "old guy radio" should be called "rich guy radio," because he, like Wilbon, can't stop talking about all the great stuff he gets (for Kornheiser, it's limos and free tickets to plays, and club seats at Redskins games). For Wilbon, it's the non-stop mentioning of all his celebrity athlete buddies, like Barkley, Magic, and McNabb. How can he write sensibly about McNabb if they hang out?

Finally, I do agree with those who think Wilbon too readily defended athletes who had "character" problems with women and crime. I got very weary of the "I only watch to see great athletic feats; I don't care what they do off the field" argument.

Wilbon's journalistic ethic was very much eroded; TV does that to good journalists, and he was a decent one at one time. No more--it's best that he move on to becoming more and more a TV guy, and leave the journalism to those who still believe in it.

Posted by: preacherskid | November 18, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I am super sad. I grew up reading Wilbon's columns, and found him to be an awesome sports journalist. One of the finest. What a loss for the WP. Wilbon, best of luck to you, and I hope to see more of your work on a national level. Thanks for all of the sports insight and entertainment. A big fan...

Posted by: Tdub1 | November 18, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

wilbon's a good competent analyst but was corrupted by the lens of victimization. everything was about race to him, and black brotherhood was way more important than any DC sports team. I just hope that some of my negative comments drove him off. good riddance.

Posted by: batigol85 | November 18, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Disagreed with a lot of what he said. And I ultimately think the "changing of the guard" will bring in more pro-hockey people in DC.

So, I think this is good news.

That said, the man had an admirable run at the Washington Post. Congrats is due.

Posted by: CF11555 | November 18, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Mike...I enjoyed reading your columns!

Posted by: TBONE86 | November 18, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I've been reading Wilbon for 20 years. He's had a long newspaper career that changed drastically once his non-newspaper celebrity status became entrenched. I soured on much of his writing as his knowledge base moved from narrow-and-deep (with an emphasis on the local) to wide-and-shallow (as he became a devotee to the "national" sports beat, which his PTI gig probably demanded).

Something changes when a writer develops a non-written public voice -- he seems to start writing in that voice. Or at least I start reading in it. I don't think this development served Wilbon's writing, if it did his career and checking account.

I won't miss the Wilbon I've been reading in recent years, but as he leaves the Post it's worth remembering his whole career as a news man, particularly if this moment doubles as the death of his professional relationship with the written word. He was, for a very, very long time, an excellent reporter and columnist, extremely hard working and usually very careful with his facts. I wish him the best.

Posted by: AndJuan | November 18, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank God that racist homer is gone. He and John Thompson have caused more racial tension and a deeper divide that O'bama. Take his Mr. Potato Head self and milk ESPN where i can turn him off like I do Joe Thiesman and that bald poodle kornheiser.

Posted by: doyouktt | November 18, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

wow, ever since Wilbon turned on this city, i have commented on how he should go back to Chicago. Wilbon, sorry, but you are not one of ours. Your criticism of Ovechkin, and everything else you stood for is not Washington. I am so glad you are gone. I will still boo you every time I see you at a Washington event. You were never ours. Good Riddance.

Posted by: tony28 | November 19, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I had no idea this guy was still around. LOL. Good luck buddy, I hope you can talk coach Thompson and blubber mouth Mitchell along with their boy Wise to join you.

Posted by: hock1 | November 19, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

He's leaving with a perfect record intact. He's never been right about anything..

Posted by: wewintheylose | November 19, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

What a lovely tribute from Cindy and the Post, and well-deserved. I'm surprised that Mike would leave writing to talk about cagers on TV but it sure was fun to run into him teaching Mr. Tony about hockey at a Caps game back in the day, and one thing has not changed - Mike is always gracious and welcoming when "we littles" said hello. Thanks for the great times, Mike! Keep enjoying yourself! And with Boz, Tracee, Cindy, Steinberg, Jason, Adam, Katy, Eric et al. the Mike leaves a strong, entertaining Sports section behind him.

Posted by: flynnie321 | November 19, 2010 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to see you go, Mike..i always enjoyed your work and appreciated your perspective. On another note, could this be a harbinger of an ESPN DC?

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | November 19, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

He may be a "lot of things" but loyal is not one of them.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | November 19, 2010 4:36 AM | Report abuse

Hate to see you go Mike. Good luck and thanks for all the great work you've done at the Post over the past 32 years. I, for one, will miss your columns. I do hope you will continue writing in some form or other.

Posted by: prestoj | November 19, 2010 5:29 AM | Report abuse

This decision really made sense because Wilbon is really no longer a sports journalist. His sense of objectivity in nearly all his columns has melted away over the years.
Now he can spend 100% of his time being a LeBron and Tiger jock sniffer.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | November 19, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Does that make Boz the last man standing? Unless he lives in LA and just emails his text to the post. Does it really matter these days? You could live in Tahiti and still write sports columns for any paper.

Posted by: richs91 | November 19, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

It's too bad Michael Wilbon never publicly apologized or corrected himself for saying/implying that Sean Taylor was killed due to his gang like/thug activity. He went on the Redskin Report with that attiutude, and a day later it was reported it was a random robbery/murder. Wilbon never apologized. Too bad, the only blemish on his great career.

Posted by: mooneymaher | November 19, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Respect! Going to miss his articles. I didn't always agree with him, but he always had interesting articles and was a heck of a writer. He was probably the only reason why I look at the Washington Post.

Posted by: HAWK7 | November 19, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

No disrespect to what was surely lots of hard work, but I found MW's columns to be a turnoff (though I certainly didn't read all 6000 of them). He seems to be one of the people who hype sports in a way that I find distasteful. Athletes are important in a country, but not to the degree that MW and TK promote. I see them more as advertisers for sport than serious reporters. IOW, entertainers themselves.

Posted by: thetensionmakesitwork | November 19, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Bon Voyage, it's been long overdue. It's been well over 5-6 years now since I've stopped reading anything he wrote. Self-centered, self-promoting....and the list goes on and on. Keep him on TNT, that's pretty much all he is good for anymore. And he is good at that, I will give him that.

Adios....

Posted by: alwaysaskinsfan | November 19, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness. Can he please take Mike Wise with him when he goes?

Good luck Wilbon.

I myself realized only too late how terrible a writer and journalist Wilbon really is. Very pleased to have him out of my morning paper. I might actually sign back up for home delivery now that Wilbon is out. If they Wilbon takes Wise with him, I will even sign up for weekends.

Posted by: fred_p_harris | November 19, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I want to wish Michael Ray Wilbon all the best. I don't know if Ray is his middle name, but that's what "stat boy" calls him

I really hope his, Cubs, Bears(another) or NW Wildccats win a championship in his lifetime. It would be a nice article to read.

Posted by: coachbcmc | November 19, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Thank you God.

Posted by: jeadpt | November 19, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

I think people are taking Mr. Wilbon's columns way too seriously. He's a writer, and he's writing what "he" thinks that's all. If you do not agree that's fine. I have agreed with some articles and disagreed with others. If you want to talk about race why don’t you mention the name of your beloved football franchise the Redskins? If they called them the Washington N- words there would be a congressional hearing. It means the same thing to a Native American. And no I’m not Native American for all you racists wondering what race I am. Get a life losers. Good luck Wilbon.

Posted by: gridlockindc | November 19, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Ehhhh...I prefer watching him on TV (and listening to his rants) to reading his columns (and reading his rants) anyway. At least on PTI there is a clock counting down how long I have to listen to each rant.

Posted by: Rainier1 | November 19, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rainier1 | November 19, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Health,happiness and prosperity!

Posted by: ohwell1 | November 19, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance, you useless racist Wilbon. Ignorant crap like you should go in the trashbin, not the TV.

Posted by: rlcjr | November 19, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Michael, I want to thank you. You are a great writer and upholder of journaistic integrity. I don't always agree with you, but that's not the point. The point is you are a journaist, and a darned good one at that. I know what it's like to be over-committed. I am a graduate student. And, well, who can turn down the money of the TV world. But, it won't be the same because I don't watch TV nor do I care much about the NBA. I do, however, look forward to reading your Chat House on line. Is there a way you could still do that with the Post? You wouldn't have to write any columns, but could be a guest Chat House leader once a week, just to touch base with us, your loyal readers and followers -- and often critics.

Thank you and best wishes!!

Posted by: Bozeman1 | November 19, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Thank you and best wishes!!

Posted by: Bozeman1 | November 19, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I've been reading and watching Wilbon for twenty years now, and he can simultaneously be one of the best or worst sports commentators in the business. His biggest problem is that it appears he views any and all subjects -- sports and non sports related -- through the prism of his race. If a sport is dominated by African Americans then he's as knowledgeable and involved as can be. If it's not then he's clearly disinterested, and shows no more understanding than the average man on the street. Wilbon has probably memorized the name of every NBA player active since 1972, and could rattle off a hundred obscure NFL stats from the last decade. But at the same time he wouldn't know last year's AL Cy Young pitcher if he sat next to him on the bus.

Posted by: joeschwind1 | November 19, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Who is Michael Wilbon again? Anybody? Sorry the name doesn't ring a bell.

Posted by: jrw1 | November 19, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Solnoir wrote: "I refuse to watch ESPN."

And you actually think anybody grants any credence to your opinion about anything related to sports?

Really?

Posted by: kemp13 | November 19, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

There is a God!! I used to love reading Wilbon but he soon became a legend in his own mind and his schmoozing with athletes enabled him to write an unbiased column.

Posted by: mygr8kidz2 | November 19, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Ooops, "'disabled' him to write an unbiased column"--sorry about that!

Posted by: mygr8kidz2 | November 19, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Sip897 -- that was a classic. Thank You

Posted by: crabcorrector | November 19, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean he will have more time to take me suit shopping? Such a snappy dresser.

Posted by: meglulofs | November 19, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

This is a good trend. With the constant whining about declining revenue in the newspaper business, losing high-priced columnists who spend most of their time elsewhere (blathering on TV or the Net) and gaining some cheap reporters who might actually spend a little time "reporting" is a positive.

Posted by: jacobson98 | November 19, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Best luck to u MW. I've always enjoyed the columns, even when I didn't agree, because they're well-articulated & thought-provoking. LOVED the Chat Room, to my surprise! Hope u keep that up in some capacity.

MW, u will be missed.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | November 19, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I will miss his writing style, I will not miss his self-righteousness and hypocrisy. Example: When Sean Taylor was killed, Wilbon made it a point to say in print that Taylor was at fault for his own murder, due to the company he kept...you know, Thuglife and all that. Oh, and Wilbon is from Chicago, he knows from Thuglife and low lifes, etc.

Then it comes out that actually the assailants were people Taylor did not know, but who came to his home at his sister's invitation for a birthday party.

Not quite the Thuglife Wilbon portrayed...and yet to this day he has not backed off a bit from his assertion that Sean Taylor was at fault for his own death.

The writing I will miss...the other characteristics-not so much.

Posted by: BwanaWannabe | November 19, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Used to love him, but that kind of faded. He was at his best when he talked common sense about sports. It was refreshing. Lately all the bravado has just made him unreadable (for me anyway). I wish him well going forward, but I won't miss him -- I was avoiding his column anyway.

Posted by: Diamondback1 | November 19, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, the wrong Michael is leaving the Washington Post. If only this were an announcement of Mike Wise's and/or Sally Jenkins' resignations...

Posted by: baskert | November 19, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Good Riddance!!! The man is a racist.
I refuse to even read his trash any more

Posted by: NDIrish2 | November 19, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Take that race hater Robinson with you!

Posted by: mjandrews8 | November 19, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

The Joy boys - Walker and Scott. Kornheiser and Wilbon were the same thing in sports. (Minus "Robin Hood of Rock Creek park."

Posted by: therev1 | November 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The Kings are dead! Long live the Queens!

Sally Jenkins is Wilbon and just as rashly opinionated. Just look at how she threw McNabb under the bus earlier this week.

Tracee Hamilton is Tony K but with WAY, WAY, WAY more sports knowledge to go along with the humor.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | November 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

And today's his birthday. So happy birthday, Mr. Wilbon.

Posted by: forgetthis | November 19, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Come on folks, give him some "dap"!

Posted by: Observer691 | November 19, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

With the departure of Wilbon the WP's Sporrts section is now the worst in the country. Only thing saving it from the worst on the planet is Boswell.

at one time you could read a young Wilbon, a slightly older TK and Shirley Povich along with a chaser of Boswell.

Now you ahve nothin Hamilton is god awful and Jenkins is only there to meet a quota. She is awful and mails it in from NYC. Sorry she should be forced to live here in the DC area or termiante her with extreme prejudice.

Posted by: sheepherder | November 19, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

As much as I agree with the criticisms of Wilbon - he often sees issues of race where none exist, he name-drops at every opportunity, and he can't be objective with certain athletes - he is entertaining. Clearly, everyone here reads his work and/or watches him on TV often enough to know why they hate him.

Mike, congratulations and good luck.

Posted by: tomsing | November 19, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

FugitTheHaters.

I am sorry to see you go. The others sports writers are not always as interesting..

I always thought that it would be only a matter of time.. You will continue to do well and make your parents, children prouder.
Now who will post find to write your point of view?

Posted by: Tobor58 | November 19, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I will give Michael Wilbon his due. He is an excellent wordsmith who stands by his convictions. However, it doesn't take a careful reader to discern his obvious racial biases in virtually everything he writes. If you are oblivious to this, well, that's not a crime, but don't start calling me a racist. I'd prefer the term "intelligent reader".

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | November 19, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I do not live in the DC area anymore so I do not get to read Mike's columns on a daily basis. But now I get to see him more on live TV and this will be great. As for the most reviled writer on the Post staff, for my money it is still Sally Jenkins for her treatment of Tiger this past year. I may never forgive her for that. Anyway, the Post will certainly miss your talents.

Posted by: jdhenry2 | November 19, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

He always defended black athletes even when they were obviously wrong. He could not overcome his heritage to become a fair broadcaster. That fault keeps him from being great.

Posted by: sportsfan2 | November 19, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Enjoyed Wilbon columns and still enjoy his show with Tony K. He has an astute mind
for all sports he covers.

He has been accused sometimes of being biased when it comes to race ,but that I n understand . We need to move on with that observation.

He brings an enjoyment and enthusiasm to his coverage. Good luck and I appreciate your work

Posted by: vaparrot | November 19, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so, Mike!

Posted by: SilverSpringer1 | November 19, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

As a reader of Mike Wilbon's columns for at least 15yrs now, I can truly say I'll miss picking up a paper(or clicking on the site as of late) and reading this brotha's insight on not only sports but life as well. To be honest he's one of the main reasons I continued to pick up a paper and read it and that went from just reading the sports section to reading the whole paper thru the years. As a 33yr. old black man, I can honestly say that Wilbon has been somewhat of an inspiration to me. When I was younger-and still do for that matter- and didn't know off the back what a word he was using in one of his columns meant, I would go grab a dictionary and find out and that inspired me to expand my vocab. Even though I dont know him personally, I definitely look up to him for being an intelligent, articulate and well spoken black man...All that said, Thanks Mr. Wilbon for all your insightful articles through the years...Good Luck to you man!!!!

Posted by: dspower33 | November 19, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

MICHAEL WILBON'S GREATEST HIT'S PART 1

Michael Wilbon, Nov. 1: "I don't believe for a second Donovan McNabb's gonna be here next year now. Not a second. Done."

-------------------------------

Michael Wilbon, Nov 16: "The McNabb signing makes perfect sense."

-------------------------------

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

MICHAEL WILBON'S GREATEST HITS PART II:

Jan. 3

"If it is determined that there was [the threat of gun play], Arenas has to be suspended. Beyond that, smart team counsel would look seriously into trying to void what's left of Arenas's $111 million contract.

"...when the drama exceeds the productivity to this extreme, especially when we're talking about guns, Arenas has got to go."
--------------------------------

Jan.5...In a column titled "Al Sharpton speaks wisely about Gilbert Arenas"

Wilbon again and again praises Sharpton's involvement in trying to get David Stern to throw the book at Arenas. He said, without any evidence to back it up, that "members of his team no longer want to play with Arenas" and "he might very well forfeit the remaining $80 million his massive contract."
----------------------------------

Fast forward to Jan. 14, Wilbon writes:

"We've gone too far now...We've made Gilbert Arenas Public Enemy No. 1, which is absurd.

"...is Arenas so evil that all the merchandise bearing his name and number has to be pulled from Verizon Center? And from the NBA Store in New York? And from NBAStore.com, where you couldn't even customize a jersey and have Arenas's name on it? Is what he did so heinous his likeness has to be scrubbed off of every building in downtown Washington, like he's Al Capone?

"I like Gilbert Arenas, always have...overwhelmingly I've found him an enjoyable person, reasonable, engaging, always a good listener and usually a good spirit about him. I generally don't read blogs but often enjoyed his, and I'm not talking about the occasionally outrageous portions, but the 80 percent meat-and-potatoes stuff where Arenas would talk about basketball and the league itself, dissect players and their personalities and give us his take on professional basketball or his team or living in greater Washington.

"I've spent too many hours talking to Arenas over the last six years to think he's beyond reclamation, that he has to go into exile. There's much too much intelligence and goodwill, skill and legitimate personality to, as folks used to say, just throw the baby out with the bath water.
-------------

Yes folks, Mike Wilbon really wrote "now, the baby (Arenas) needs to go out with the bath water." on January 4 and just ONE week later, on January 13, he writes about Arenas "there is much too much intelligence and goodwill, skill and legitimate personality to, as folks used to say, just throw the baby out with the bath water. "

So in just a week's time, he goes from saying the baby should be thrown out with the bath water to saying there's too much intelligence, goodwill, skill etc to just throw the baby out with the bath water. Wow, just wow.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations Mike. While I may not have always agreed with your columns over the years, I've certainly enjoyed them immensely. ABC/ESPN's gain is certainly the Post's loss. All the best.

Posted by: monk4hall | November 19, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"Arenas will never play for the Wizards again. No more Agent Zero heating up hibachi-style at Verizon Center. It's over...Soon enough, the divorce will be official, each party will have another chance to get on with their lives and we'll find out whether either can do better the next time."-Mike Wilbon

--------------------------

"That's the problem with our business. A lot of people throw a lot of crap on the wall, and never come back and say 'hey, I was wrong on that.'" -Mike Tirico (a real journalist)

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Thank God. He won't be missed. I hope he goes far away.

Posted by: dcnationals1 | November 19, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

MICHAEL WILBON'S GREATEST HITS PART III

March 24, Michael Wilbon on Andray Blatche: "He's exactly what a rebuilding franchise doesn't need, which is to say a knucklehead who thinks putting up big but meaningless numbers for a bad team makes him Wilt Chamberlain...You cannot win with a player like this"
--------------------------

March 11, Michael Wilbon on Andray Blatche:

"When the dust cleared from the trades, Blatche looked over his shoulder and didn't see Butler, Jamison or Butler. Blatche is now the senior member of the Wizards...And I'll say this for the kid: He's made not just the most of it; he's in the process of changing his career because of it.

"Yes, it's only (16) games and we need to see a lot bigger sample size after four years of underachieving. But we also have to look at what Blatche can do over a stretch of games. The Wizards coaches and executives very quietly hoped he would jump from a nine points and five rebounds per game kind of player to, say, 16 and 7 or 17 and 8.

"But look at what he's done in points and rebounds since the trade: 33 and 13 (vs. Minnesota), 18-11 (vs. playoff-bound Denver), 24-6 (against playoff-bound Toronto), 25-11 (vs. playoff-bound Chicago), 24-8 (against a terrific Memphis frontcourt), 26-18 (vs. New York) and 36-15 (vs. New Jersey).

"With the chance to play, Blatche is finally doing what the team has asked him to do for awhile. Word is he's in the weight room regularly, is practicing harder, trying on the defensive end. In the victory over the Nets the other night, Blatche became the first Washington player to have 15 baskets and 15 rebounds in a game since Tom Gugliotta did it for the Bullets in November of 1992. In that same game he became the first player this season to post numbers of at least 36 points, 15 rebounds, four assists, two steals and two blocked shots in one game. Nobody had done it in a Bullets/Wizards uniform since Elvin Hayes 35 years ago.

"...Blatche doesn't have to worry that Wizards management, including the team's trainers, only worries about the star players. Hell, he is the star player...

"Simply, Blatche didn't know how to be a professional basketball player, which is to be blamed largely on the NBA for ever having allowed kids to make the jump in the first place.

"But all that seems so unnecessary to talk about now. With making the playoffs not an option and the team starting over from scratch, it's intriguing to follow a 23-year-old who is 6-foot-11 with this skill set. It's like finding a free agent in your own locker room. One player who can fill up a stat sheet makes an inordinate difference in basketball. Whatever we thought of Blatche...it's not just fair to reassess, it's mandatory." -Mike Wilbon, March 11

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

MICHAEL WILBON'S GREATEST HITS, PART IV:

Excerpts from Michael Wilbon's Oct 7 column:

Below are various comments from today's Mike Wilbon column on Gilbert Arenas:

-"I believe Arenas can be a productive player in the NBA again"

-"Arenas has had a decline in play"

-"Go ahead and tell me what Arenas has that's extraordinary? Talent? Not anymore."

-"Arenas has some very good, if not great, basketball left in him"

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

MICHAEL WILBON'S GREATEST HITS PART V:

January 17, Michael Wilbon: "Gilbert Arenas will not be with the Washington basketball franchise next year. Will not. Period."

---------------------------------------

March 17, Michael Wilbon: "Reclamation projects can be successful, which means, no, I haven't ruled out the notion of Arenas playing for the Wizards again"

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon is a race baiting jackass. No loss.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

MICHAEL WILBON'S GREATEST HITS PART VI:

January 28, Michael Wilbon: "Of course, Arenas is going to play again in the NBA, just not here. ... We're talking about a player who, after missing most of two seasons, was averaging 21 points and 7 assists per game. When the free agent dust settles by, oh, August of this summer, teams that have failed to execute a free agent makeover (while leading their fans to think just that would happen) will be increasingly interested in a 28-year-old guard who doesn't have the wear-and-tear of the last three years. The bet here is a half-dozen teams will wind up being interested in Arenas by mid-summer. And to facilitate that transition to a new team it might be in Arenas's best interest to let the team void his contract. Probably no team is going to want to take on the remaining chunk of his contract over four years. But at, say, $7 million a year, interest in Arenas would jump."

March 27, Michael Wilbon: "He'll play in the NBA and average 20 points a game for somebody, who will pay him $70-some million over the next four years"
----------------

Wow, so in about 2 month's time, Arenas's stock rose from $7 million a year to $17.5 million per year, according to Mike Wilbon. Without any explanation for how it could jump by over 10 million per year. Wow, just wow.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Michael Wilbon is leaving the Washington post and I am sad. I hate being sad, because when I'm sad I'm prone to bouts of crying. I call them my blue bawls. I'm crying right now. Good Luck to you, Mike. We'll miss you.

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | November 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

MICHAEL WILBON'S GREATEST HITS PART VI:

Michael Wilbon, in the aftermath of Sean Taylor's death:

"There’s a ton of speculation about the details of his condition and the details of the incident, but this isn’t a blog and we’re not going to get into wild guessing and speculating here"

And.......Mike Wilbon, on how Sean Taylor had it coming:

"I know how I feel about Sean Taylor, and this incident isn't surprising in the least, not to me....Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it."

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon will be sorely missed in these parts. I started reading the Post when I was in High School and instantly was attracted the artices writing by Kornheiser and Wilbon. Even before I knew what they looked like, I always looked forward to reading their cloumns. While I am very happy for them and their success outside of the Post, I am also very saddened of their departures. Wilbon was a voice who did not mind speaking about the issues of race, while others would have rathered him shut up. I appreciate his honesty and candor even if I disagreed once or twice. Continue to speak the truth and continue to excel in this world.

Posted by: poeticfire | November 19, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Awesome news! Generic national articles (repeating PTI comments and stories), mailed in from wherever, with a heavy dose of racism won't be missed in the slightest.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | November 19, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance, to Mike "The Race Card" Wilbon.

Posted by: Defund_NPR | November 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah!

Posted by: AHappyWarrior | November 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey Barno what's wrong did Wilbon blow you off or give you a shoulder check to get your ignorant A*s out of his way.

Maybe one day you understand but its doubtful.

Posted by: sheepherder | November 19, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So what you're saying, Cindy, is that Washington Post management's long-time signature line about how "we don't count bylines" has just been b.s. all along, huh?

Posted by: dude_too | November 19, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance. Can we get someone who doesn't play the race card in every single column to take his place? Please?

Posted by: shanks1 | November 19, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Sports reporting has gone downhill ever since the reporters became equal or bigger stars than the folks they cover.

Posted by: FLvet | November 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

You've got an ironic ID, sheepherder.

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | November 19, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Thank God! Him writing for the WaPo is like me writing for the Winnipeg Free Press (yes I had to look up what newspaper runs in Winnipeg, just like Wilbon probably had to look up what county FedEx Field is in). Have fun being a pundit on the TMZ of sports, our favorite World Wide Leader ESPN.

Posted by: pjkfromffx | November 19, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I have read every article that you wrote over these many years. I did not always agree but they always made me THINK....

Thanks for all the words...

Larry

Posted by: lstepp312 | November 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

A lot of people on this thread are upset by Wilbon's supposed racism.

I'm not black, but I understand that there's a journalistic need to understand the black man's point of view.

Look, racially speaking, things still aren't right in this country. Civil rights have improved but the brokenness and inequity that are the result of slavery stubbornly persist.

Wilbon was and remains a courageous voice, an oracle who refuses to sugar coat the way things are. No Stepen Fetchit he. If he makes us uncomfortable that's a good thing. We need to be uncomfortable until full social equity is achieved.

Posted by: Bluefish2012 | November 19, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

About time, Wilbon. You ceased being a journalist when you took part in that LeBron James sham and admitted that you didn't ask questions that might embarrass ESPN. Journalists ask questions "without feart or favor." Remember? You cast your lot right then with ESPN and walked away from journalism. You're now just another sadly untalented entertainer.

Posted by: ChicagoGuy2010 | November 19, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance.

WIlbon was a racist moron.

Posted by: EnoughISEnough | November 19, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

32 years to late

Posted by: dillonthomas | November 19, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bluefish2012 | November 19, 2010 12:08 PM

The Jews suffered through a Holocaust. Japanese were interned during WWII, and now Asian communities thrive throughout America. Just sayin'.

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | November 19, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't bother me a bit to see Wilbon gone. His infatuation with all things Chicago got old years ago. He could turn almost anything into a racial issue whether it really was or not. He won't be missed by me.

Posted by: worgadd1 | November 19, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Good Bye Wilbon!!

I liked some of what you had to say, but your constant attacks on Leonsis, Ovechkin, and the Caps was uprofessional at best. Did the WP or you not know that the Caps were always open to diversity and promoting hockey in the inner city?? The Caps are the only winning team here, and Mr. Wilbon you do nothing but try to take them down!

Posted by: SkiBikeLax | November 19, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

He lost my respect forever shortly after Seaon Taylor's death. It was not so much because of his ill-considered column, but for his refusal to admit that it was ill-considered and to apologize for it.

Given his Chicago bias, Arizona residence, and lack of interest in getting behind many local sports, I do not regard this as a great loss to the Post. Those who want his style of over-publicized "journalism" will still be able to find it many times over through other channels.

Hopefully this opens the door for a young voice with real ties to our area, who can put down meaningful roots in the D.C. sports community using the cachet that a WashPost press pass will provide.

Posted by: wahoo2x | November 19, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised at Wilbon moving on. His other commitments were obviously just too much to compete with.

For all of you haters out there who can barely conceal your bigoted viewpoints on race, sports, society at large, Wilbon is one of the most articulate journalists out there today. That fact must threaten you somehow, as you choose this thread to come out with your vitriol and inane comments. You just make yourself more obvious to the rest of us.

I won't miss Wilbon the personality, as he'll be visible in other arenas, but I will miss his insightful commentary on all things sports. It was a joy to pick up the paper and read his columns all these years.

Posted by: dug2008 | November 19, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

There's a joke here somewhere...

A Jewish guy and a Black guy walk into a bar.....

Posted by: weaverf | November 19, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"For all of you haters out there who can barely conceal your bigoted viewpoints on race, sports, society at large, Wilbon is one of the most articulate journalists out there today. That fact must threaten you somehow" -dug2008

Yeah, you can't criticize Wilbon without being a racist. Shanahan can't bench his QB without being a racist. You can't criticize the president without being a racist. And you certainly can't point out the racism of others without being a racist yourself, right Dug2008?

It's pitifully ignorant folks like you Dug2008 that will always keep racism alive in this country.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Well said Bluefish2012

Posted by: gridlockindc | November 19, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dug2008 | November 19, 2010 12:51 PM

Signed,
Michael Jordan

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | November 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

A great sportswriter. May he live long and prosper.
I've been reading the Post's sports page since first grade (50+ years ago) and he was my favorite in all that time.

Posted by: jjj33 | November 19, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

This is great news. His arrogance will NOT be missed.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | November 19, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the commentor who asked if Wilbon can take Mike Wise with him. I will definitely miss reading Wilbon's columns and ever more his chats. Mike Wilbon is one of the reasons I wanted to be a sportswriter growing up. Mike Wilbon encompasses everything a true sportswriter should be about.

Posted by: jcreech1 | November 19, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

One less racist columnist. Couldn't happen soon enough.

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | November 19, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wilbon will be missed but for me more for the back and forth between he and Kornheiser. As a elementary school kid in the 80's it was the banter that got me beyond the comics and into other parts of the paper beyond the sports page. During those times Tony and Mike would really go back and forth via the pen. It was not always as friendly as PTI but always just as good if not better. Yet after Tony's departure his writing kinda lost its edge but still insightful and good. Anyway we bid you adeiu. Just remember when you ride out in the sunset to keep going. That is best way to get to next chapter its sunset. Good luck Mike.

Posted by: VAMacMal | November 19, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wilbon will be missed but for me more for the back and forth between he and Kornheiser. As a elementary school kid in the 80's it was the banter that got me beyond the comics and into other parts of the paper beyond the sports page. During those times Tony and Mike would really go back and forth via the pen. It was not always as friendly as PTI but always just as good if not better. Yet after Tony's departure Mike's writing kinda lost its edge but was still insightful and good. Anyway we bid you farewell. Just remember when you ride out into the sunset to keep going. That is best way to get to next chapter and the next sunset. Good luck Mike.

Posted by: VAMacMal | November 19, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Now I disagree with all the "racist" accusations that are being thrown about.

But I did lose all respect of Wilbon after the Sean Taylor story.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

who cares?

newspaper sportswriters are so 1987

with all the blogs out there, the opinions you read on this iPad App are no better formed or insightful than those read on any other

if Wilbon was 20 years younger, he'd be struggling in the world of blogs, begging for advertisers, if Kornheiser was 30 years younger, he'd be a struggling in the world, begging for food

Posted by: tgt111 | November 19, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Mike in your future endeavors. Enjoyed your stories and Q&A though I did not always agree with your point.

But Boswell must stay; he is our generation's Shirley Povich.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 19, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Though I have not always agreed with you, I have enjoyed reading you work. I will miss reading your column. It has always been great reading. I didn't remember that you came to The Post in 1979. It was my first year out of High School. Hopefully you have mentored some to take on the reigns. I will continue to watch PTI to receive your insight. Best of life to you

Posted by: pri1ce | November 19, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The best sportcasters DC ever had was Glenn Brenner and George Michaels R.I.P. The best sportswriter was Michael Wilbon.
You'll be missed.

Posted by: One9 | November 19, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon checked out as a sports writer years ago. He became a Master Of The Obvious, a male version of Sally Jenkins, complete with the signature man purse.

Good for you, Mike. You and the Disney mouse have a lot in common.

Posted by: howjensen | November 19, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse