NFL is investigating spitting allegation concerning LaRon Landry and pregame fight

By Cindy Boren

The NFL is investigating Philadelphia Eagles center Mike McGlynn's allegation that Washington Redskins safety LaRon Landry twice spat at him in the teams' Monday night game at FedEx Field.

The league is also looking into the teams' pregame dustup, an NFL spokesman confirmed. The investigations are routine whenever there is an allegation or a fight. Last week, it investigated an alleged incident between Le'Ron McClain and Channing Crowder. (As a point of reference, Redskins fans will remember that Sean Taylor was fined $17,000 for spitting on Tampa Bay's Michael Pittman in a January 2006 playoff game.)

"He spit in my face, and that really fired us all up," McGlynn told the Philadelphia Daily News. "We were really looking to put the afterburners on them. It's good to see. We came out and scored 60 points, almost. ... We want to play the game with all the respect in the world. When people come out and disrespect you like that. ... I think there just has to be more respect for the game than that. That's just a terrible thing. We just looked at it as, 'Hey, keep pouring it on them.' "

Landry responded with an adamant denial: "This is my answer: When would I ever be in touch with the center? I never blitz the 'A' gap."

He was told that McGlynn said the incidents occurred during extra points and replied: "Extra points? Still, when would I ever be in the 'A' gap? Extra points I'm on the end. With that said, that's your answer."

Landry was in the midst of the pregame fight that broke out as the teams headed to the locker room after warmups. It appeared the confrontation started between Landry and Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson. The Eagles contend that the Redskins were mocking Jackson, who has a history of concussions.

Landry tweeted this morning:

To everyone who's truly redskin fan/fan of mine... Knows I never been a dirty player/never will!!! Supposedly I spit on the center if there's any truth to that I would have been flagged or the guy would have some sort of reaction!!! I just play hard and do anything to help the team win... As for as D. Jack that's my guy been home boys for awhile so to y'all who wanna read blogs/the Internet find out the truth to stories/not a writer trying to stir confusion!!! Tough lost as a hold... Still have a lot of fball left... Hail to the skins!!! Good morning!!!

By Cindy Boren  | November 16, 2010; 5:33 PM ET
Categories:  NFL, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Vick's jersey from game against Redskins is headed to Hall of Fame
Next: With Chad Pennington, Chad Henne out, Dolphins move on with Tyler Thigpen and Wildcat

Comments

Landry is a punk thug.

Posted by: bal503 | November 16, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about the above thinly-coded racial slurs, but he certainly has a way with idiomatic English:

"Tough lost as a hold."

He kinda has the 22%-off-axis speech patterns of a Russian mobster now living in Jersey City . . .

(and the twitter machine/auto-complete may not be helping any)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 16, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Landry please teach DHall to tackle and keep mouth shut

Posted by: rayjay1 | November 16, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

i actually believe landry when he says that he was never involved directly with the center....

he has never had any incidents like this before and to accuse him of this twice as philly's reason to pour it on is ridiculous.

Philly was still passing in the 4th quarter after already having 59 points and leading by 30.

if landry had blitz in the 4th quarter and injured mike vick, then andy reid would have look like a fool for leaving him in there so long....

mike vick should have never been in the game that long.....andy reid and philly wanted to pour it on the skins and they lied on landry as an excuse to do it...

Posted by: docdwb | November 17, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Lack of class and respect have always been part of Philly & their fan base. I would not talk about respect for the game if I was running up the score, after the fact reporting smells bad. What would you do if someone spit in your face I think I would be thrown out of the game????

Posted by: mdepo | November 17, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Tampa Skins play-off game & ther was no doubt what Sean Taylor did Pittman went after him right away, as anyone telling the truth would.

Posted by: mdepo | November 17, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

C'mon. A guy supposedly spits in another player's face (twice) and the so-called "victim" (who is significantly larger BTW) does nothing in response? No retalliation, no waving of the arms at the officials, etc... I'm calling BS.

Posted by: jfmayer | November 17, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

There has to be pretty clear video evidence of expectoration...that's also why Taylor was fined. There was video showing it. I don't think anyone has come up with the conclusive angle on Landry, so I don't think anything is likely to come out of it. I'd say any punishment would be more likely to come from the pregame fight, but I'm not sure who'd be to blame there. I'd say that nothing comes out of this, but if the NFL is looking into the incidents, it's news.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 17, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The league will be particularly vigilant about investigating this because of the heightened awareness about the dangers of concussions, too.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Keep on keeping on Laron! Dominate and punish!!

Most of the sports writers around here are not from here so screw them.

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | November 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I tend to believe Landry on this one. If someone spits in your face, you react, you don't wait to say something about it. The Eagles poured it on, and they kept on even after the game was pretty much over. The only thing the Redskins can hope for is a re-match in the playoffs or total revenge next season. It Shanny and the coaching staff are smart they will use this to their advantage much like George Allen would. Never let the players forget about what happen on November 15, 2010. If they are ballers with pride, they will raise up and dominate. We will see what this team is made over.

Posted by: aviator3 | November 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, allow me to translate: The League will be particularly vigilant about investigating because the politically correct powers that be can't have people making "lights out" gestures at people whose feelings 'might' be hurt by said gestures. It's okay to be nicknamed "Lights Out" and have a tattoo that says "Lights Out" if your name is Shawn Merriman, but by no means can anyone else actually make a gesture that implies that tonight will be lights out for your opponent.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Philly ran the score up. I watched the game tape and Landry was never near the center the entire game. Eagles fans remember this "REVENGE is a DISH BEST SERVED COLD".

Posted by: classicskins | November 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

the schoolyard bullies got their a**es kicked.. GET OVER IT.... He spit the EAGLES PUMMELLED them on National Television... HA HA HA AH

Posted by: gcottrill | November 17, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Landry is an exciting player (like Troy Polamalu, but severely lacking in the intelligence and class department).

Landry is simply an enormous liability to the Redskins. He makes at least one critical mistake per game and he has to be one of the top 3 least intelligent players in the NFL. The Redskins might as well spot their opponent 7 points when Landry comes on the field.

Posted by: diehardlib | November 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

diehardgenius,

I remember people like you once saying the same things about a man named Sean Taylor.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse