Report: Cam Newton left Florida amid academic cheating allegations
Updated at 1:48 p.m.
Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs has released a statement in response to the latest allegations concerning quarterback Cam Newton:
"In the past 24 hours, a lot of allegations have surfaced that date back two years ago and further," Jacobs said. "These allegations and rumors about Cam Newton are unfortunate and sad because they seem intent on tearing down the reputation of a young man who has done everything we've asked him to do. Cam has been and continues to be completely honest with us. Cam is, by all accounts, a great kid.
"Any discussion of academic records is a clear violation of federal privacy laws. We will not go down that path or stoop to that level as others have apparently done. We will, however, emphatically say that Cam is eligible to play football at Auburn University both academically and athletically. I am proud of this young man and the progress he has made to be a better football player and a better man. We are truly blessed that Cam is a part of the Auburn family, and we support him 100 percent."
Updated at 12:02 p.m.
Florida Coach Urban Meyer denied being the source for the Foxsports.com story on Cam Newton.
"Our entire focus right now is on preparing for our biggest game of the year against South Carolina," Meyer said in a statement released by the school. "For anyone to think that I or anyone on our staff may have leaked information about private student records to the media doesn't know us very well. It's a ridiculous claim and simply not true."
Filed at 10:04 a.m.
Cam Newton, the Auburn quarterback who is the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy, was involved in three instances of academic cheating when he was a student at the University of Florida, FoxSports.com reports, and faced possible expulsion.
Newton was a student at Florida in 2007 and 2008, then transferred to a junior college in Texas and moved on to Auburn. Thayer Evans writes that Auburn officials did not return messages seeking comment on the reports and that Newton's father declined to comment.
"I wasn't there," Cecil Newton Sr. said. "I cannot confirm or deny. At a time like this, I'm taking a defensive posture."
After an ESPN.com report last week linked Newton to possible NCAA violations, he passed for a career-best 317 yards and four touchdowns against Chattanooga on Saturday.
"I haven't done anything wrong," Newton said of the earlier allegations. "I'm an Auburn athlete, and I'm still playing for Auburn. I love Auburn, and that's all I've got to say."
| November 9, 2010; 10:04 AM ET
Categories: College football
Save & Share: Previous: Wade Phillips not to blame for dallascowboys.com's poor performance
Next: Dan Hawkins fired: Colorado gives quarterback's dad the boot
Posted by: jonesru | November 9, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | November 9, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse