Will Wade Phillips be fired by Jerry Jones?

By Cindy Boren

Updated at 11 a.m.

Wade Phillips, according to sources who have spoken with him today, doesn't think anything is happen regarding his future as Cowboys coach today, Fox's Jay Glazer tweets.

The Cowboys emailed members of the media to say that Phillips' press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m. (CST).

Updated at 9:35 a.m.

Dallas Cowboys owners Jerry Jones will meet with Cowboys coaches this afternoon at the team's Valley Ranch facility, Albert Breer of the NFL Network reports.

"There are a lot of people here who are certainly going to suffer and suffer consequences," Jones told Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com. "I'm talking about within the team -- players, coaches who have got careers. This is certainly a setback. I know firsthand what it is to have high expectations. I think unquestionably that our expectations were thinking we're something we were not, possibly looking at what might be relative to a Super Bowl. All of those things have certainly contributed early.

"But we have so many things that we need to correct and address, as this game so vividly exposed and previous games have. I've got a lot of work to do, got a lot of decisions to make. And it's not just one, two, three or four. There are several decisions. I think everybody in this country would agree that there's a lot wrong with this team that we've got to address, and I'm certainly the one to address it."

As for what the Cowboys' problems may be, Jones said: "I can't put my finger on it because I don't have enough fingers."

There's always a chance Jones lets the whole lot of 'em keep coaching. It's not like there are a ton of alternatives. You can't sell Jason Garrett to fans, Jean-Jacques Taylor writes.

Filed at 8:39 a.m.

The Wade Phillips watch is on. And this time we mean it.

The Dallas Cowboys suffered the fifth-worst defeat in their history, falling 45-7 to the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau and even Phillips had to admit the obvious:

"They whipped us about every way you can whip somebody. It looked like we were fighting hard early, but once it caved in it caved in on us. We looked like a bad team, with bad coaching. That's the way we played.''

There is outrage about the possibility that Phillips might not last the season. Outrage, in the way that it's Bash the Cowboys While They're Down Day in Washington or, as it's also known, Monday. (See Facebook, ""Keep Wade Phillips in Dallas Forever" presumably as coach of the Cowboys from Andy Eckert).

Redskins fans are nothing if not helpful.

Luckily for Wade Phillips, his inevitable firing should happen before all the Mall Santa job vacancies are filled. Closed door, open window.less than a minute ago via Twitter for iPhone

By Cindy Boren  | November 8, 2010; 8:39 AM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DC Sports-o-Meter Live: Who had the best, worst week in sports?
Next: Georgina Bloomberg, daughter of NYC mayor, injured in riding accident

Comments

Jerry Jones should keep Wade Phillips as head coach, unless Dave Campo is available again. The same way the Republicans should nominate Sarah Palin for 2012. I just love a good disaster !

Posted by: B_Al_Zebub | November 8, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

What is most amusing here in Dallas is the way the loyal,die hard fans of americas team have turned on them and wanting blood,,the area proves it is a lot like the US where everyone is from elsewhere.Next of course is the constant drone of the past ,that they never seemed to quite understand that everyone else in the country doesnt love their football team and cheerleaders like they did.

Posted by: gonville1 | November 8, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

He's in his last 48 hours there............

Posted by: Carlpaguy | November 8, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

As a Bills fan and a Cowboys hater, I am glad that Cowboys fans feel my pain.

Posted by: maggots | November 8, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Jerry Jones is the #1 problem, but you can't fire the owner.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | November 8, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ANTGA | November 8, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

KEEP WADE!
PLEASE!

Posted by: Tobor58 | November 8, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

On the list of best things to happen as a Redskins fan is the Redskins go to and win the Super Bowl.
The second best thing on the list as a Redskin fan, is exactly what is happening in Dallas this am and this season. It doesnt get any more satisfying!!!!

Posted by: davemichelle09 | November 8, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Bills fan - at least your team tries to be competitive. They could pop up like the Raiders or Rams and win some games. The Cowboys have quit.

Posted by: B_Al_Zebub | November 8, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I hope their players have quit on Jerry Jones period - not just Wade.

Posted by: ANTGA | November 8, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"I grew up a Cowboys fan - during the last 5 - 10 years of Tom Landry's days. But this owner makes it impossible for me to continue to be a Cowboys fan. I thought Al Davis was the worst owner in football - I was wrong. Al Davis is an old man who probably is dealing with memory loss and other issues that come along with old age. Jerry, however, is just plain egomaniacal, self-absorbed, thinks he can do anything better than anyone else, has no shame, will never admit shortcomings, etc.

I wish he would replace Wade as coach so he can finally realize he is NOT a football mind! He's the owner, which is the money man and the one who puts football people in charge of football operations. I actually hate the team now and will continue to hate them until Jerry dies and the team has someone who cares more about the team than himself. "

An ardent Redskins fan, I'm not going to pile on...even though I certainly could. Let's leave it at an understated I'm OK w/ things.

The above post is praiseworthy nonetheless. It could be repeated verbatim for Dan Snyder (although last year may have FINALLY kicked some sense into him) and Peter Angelos. It really does stink following your favorite team when you can't stand the owner and can't do a thing about it.

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | November 8, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

...aaaaaaand Wade is gone. I guess Jason Garrett will be getting his audition.

Posted by: arizona4 | November 8, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse