Posted at 9:16 AM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Ben Roethlisberger to have surgery to fix his broken nose

By Cindy Boren

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will undergo surgery today to repair the broken nose he suffered in the Steelers' victory over the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday night.

bensbeak.jpgRoethlisberger's nose was sporting a wicked dogleg (photo via Larry Brown Sports) after meeting with the fist of Haloti Ngata in the first quarter of the game. Roethlisberger, who managed to play Sunday night despite a foot injury, will miss no time after his surgery today.

"I just knew it was bleeding, and then when I got to the sideline I could tell just by the look on everyone's face that something wasn't right,'' said Roethlisberger. "I looked real quick. I don't know, I look like I just went 12 rounds with [Manny] Pacquiao.

"We just find ways to get it done. It may not be pretty [meaning the win], obviously, look at me, but we get it done.''

By Cindy Boren  | December 6, 2010; 9:16 AM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who had the best week in D.C. sports?
Next: Don Meredith dies; former Dallas Cowboys quarterback was 72

Comments

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, I heard Ngata did this in the name of drunk college girls everywhere.

Posted by: Swamoma | December 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

What a warrior. Kudos to Ben Roethlisberger. Amazing job. Terrell Suggs is a beast but a good defense isn't enough to win a a good old slug fest. I'm surprised because Baltimore has all the tools to be a good offense as well. I had them as the best team in the AFC, I guess I was wrong. Edan Aharony

Posted by: EdanAharony | December 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

With a face like that, no wonder he has to give alcohol to girls under 21 for some good times.
Couldn't happen to a nastier guy!

Posted by: jiboo | December 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind seeing R-berger take some well-deserved punishment, but I hope for the sake of fairness that Ngata gets hit with a fine (along with the guy who sidelined Heath Miller). If someone had broken Tom Brady's nose, he would have been flagged, fined, and perhaps even suspended. Fair is fair, or at least it used to be.

Posted by: writinron | December 6, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ben is a warrior! Let the haters say what they'll say, I pity the fools. Great win. The refs blew a lot of calls, but what else is new? The Ravens did 2 helmet to helmets that didn't draw flags.

Posted by: hopeurhere | December 6, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Harrison farts near a QB and draws a flag and a fine, Roethlisberger and Miller take shots to the head and nothing happens. Seems fair.

Posted by: MDPensfan | December 6, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

For all of the little Ben haters out there, wishing ill will on him is really immature. If this had happened to unibrow.....I mean Flacco, Baltimore would be in an uprage. So quick to judge..considering he wasn't charged or convicted. Can we say the same of other NFL players? Murders even?

I sure hope both offenses to Ben and Millare are fined just like the rest of the league would be fined.

Posted by: Stolynn | December 6, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully they'll cut his wing wang off too while he's in there.

Posted by: cbtole2 | December 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I watched Ben come off the field with a nose facing 3 different directions, obviously broken. Then the tv announcers said that according to the Steelers coaching staff it wasn't broken. Shades of Bill Belachek!

Overall, that was one of the best games I've seen all season and both sides were playing rough.

Posted by: treadlefish | December 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Looked like a clean hit to me!! He deserves his butt kicked for his actions off the field.. However drunk college girls dont put up much of a fight. Real Class Act!!

Posted by: softballfools | December 6, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

busted nose--no matter-Dude is some kinda ugly!

Posted by: budgriff1 | December 6, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Big blowhard. He couldn't go 2 rounds with Manny.

Posted by: allenwrothenberg | December 6, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

big as he is he couldn'nt go 2 rounds with Manny Pacquio.

Posted by: allenwrothenberg | December 6, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse