Posted at 12:57 PM ET, 12/ 9/2010

Bob Feller placed in hospice care; Hall of Fame pitcher battling leukemia

By Cindy Boren

Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller has been transferred from Cleveland Clinic to a Cleveland hospice.

Feller, 92, was given a diagnosis of acute myeloid leukemia in August and has had numerous health problems, Bob DiBiasio, the Indians' vice president of public relations, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. He experienced vertigo during chemotherapy and, in October, was given a pacemaker. He recently entered Cleveland Clinic with pneumonia and thrush, an infection of the mouth and throat.

Feller, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1962, won 266 games and pitched three no-hitters.

By Cindy Boren  | December 9, 2010; 12:57 PM ET
Categories:  MLB
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NFLPA's DeMaurice Smith plans to meet with Roger Goodell to discuss fines
Next: LeBron James' South Beach home sets him back $9 million

Comments

3 No Hitters? That is impressive

Posted by: RainForestRising | December 9, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Sad to see the beginning of his end. Feller is really the last of the old, old, OLD time ballplayers - he pitched to Lou Gehrig when he was 17! - and a class guy. I was hoping he could hold on for one more opening day, but it doesn't look good.

Great life, well lived, Godspeed.

Posted by: mr_bill_10 | December 9, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I met him many years ago in Cleveland. He had huge hands, and calloused, like claws. A sweet guy. I wish him well.

Posted by: jslaff | December 9, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

All around great guy, great ballplayer, and WW2 vet. Godspeed Rapid Robert.

Posted by: joebmd63 | December 9, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

you also have to keep in mind that he missed 3 or 4 of his prime years while serving in WWII. he probably could have had at least 50 more wins and many, many more strikeouts. One of the all-time great ball players.

Posted by: shmiller1971 | December 9, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

All the best, Bob.

Posted by: rg019571 | December 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

shmiller1971...that happened to a number of great ballplayers. Country first.

I saw him pitch when I was very young. That man could handle a baseball. To a long life, well lived.

Posted by: mortified469 | December 9, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I met him on the streets of Cooperstown, where he held baseballs in his huge hands and signed 'em up for a crowd. I also remember the size of his ears. I remember thinking I should be so lucky to be of his health at age 80. He was vibrant, upbeat, glad to be there, talked happily with baseball fans. A noble sort of person. God's Peace be with him and his familia.

Posted by: Meepo | December 9, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

He played before my time so I read the Wikipedia write up and according to the author, he was the first major leaguer to sign up after Peal Harbor and was awarded many medals for his heroism. That says it all for me. He was not only a great ball player but he IS a great American.

Posted by: kageees | December 9, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

my best...thanks for the memories

Posted by: rotorhead1871 | December 9, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

He was in the booth at Nats Park a few years ago, and he was absolutely captivating. I could listen to him all day.

His enthusiasm for the sport is contagious.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 9, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse