Posted at 6:25 AM ET, 12/ 1/2010

Devin Thomas: 'I wasn't up to speed' with the Redskins

By Cindy Boren

After a couple of seasons in which nothing much happened for him on a football field, the last few weeks qualify as a whirlwind for Devin Thomas, who is playing for his third team in seven weeks.

The No. 34 overall pick by the Redskins in their disappointing 2008 NFL Draft, Thomas, now with the New York Giants after a brief stop in Carolina, will see his former Redskins teammates Sunday.

"I just feel like different situations cause that to happen," Thomas told Zach Berman of the Newark Star-Ledger last week. "Things are a little bit unstable in Washington, and it didn't work out quite that well there. In Carolina, they have other issues to worry about other than receivers."

Picked ahead of notable wide receivers like DeSean Jackson, Eddie Royal and Mario Manningham, Thomas struggled amid criticism of his commitment to study and practice. The breaking point probably came when a teammate tweeted a photo of him sleeping in a team meeting and, when he left DC, he told Hail! magazine that he never really got a shot here. How much of a chance he'll get in New York is uncertain; the Giants have eight WRs on their roster.

"I definitely was surprised," Thomas told Berman of his Oct. 9 release by the Redskins. "When things happen like that, other opportunities present themselves. Right now, for me to be here, is a blessing. Unfortunately, I wasn't up to speed with [the Redskins], but they had other things going on."

Thomas was inactive last week, but he'll have a chance to play Sunday.

"I'll be ready to play," Thomas said. "That's for sure."

By Cindy Boren  | December 1, 2010; 6:25 AM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Widow of Pat Burns is robbed hours after his funeral in Montreal
Next: University of Miami AD meets with Jon Gruden to discuss Hurricanes' job

Comments

The last thing I'm worried about playing the Giants is being burned by Devin Thomas.

Posted by: dcborn61 | December 1, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

This is a typical move by a coach to get some inside info on a team they have to play twice in the next month. Fortunately for the skins, Thomas slept through most of the team meetings so he probably didn't pick up on much of the offense. Maybe he can film another music video while he's in NYC.

Posted by: dunganjd | December 1, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Coaches love mind games more than anything else on the planet. Except for Belichick. He loves his hoodies first, then mind games.

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 1, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

This guy is in complete denial of his lack of talent at the pro level, unbelievable.

Posted by: staylight317 | December 1, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

That's right, Devin. It's never your fault. You didn't get a fair chance in DC, Carolina isn't worried about finding talent at WR, what else is next?

That attitude is what got him released by the Redskins and Panthers and probably why he isn't getting much playing time in New York.

Posted by: Sean_Walsh21 | December 1, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Thomas' problem was never lack of talent. His lack of commitment to excel was expensive and a bad example to the younger crop of receivers.

He'll float around, making more money than I ever will without really trying. I think football is honestly NOT his priority. He can play, though. I've seen it. I doubt he'll be doing any endzone dances this weekend, though.

But, you never know. This game is probably gonna rival the Philly game as far as Redskin car wrecks go.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 1, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Coughlin will kick him to the curb in about 3 or 4 weeks. This kid is a loser with tons of talent......but dumber than a box of hammers.
Think Mike Tyson after making over 400 million in his career when he said " hey, I gots to fight again. I gots kids to feed.." How would you like to try and coach that?

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 2, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Great news! Now we may have a chnce to beat the Giants.

Posted by: boomer5 | December 2, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I wish these writers or whoever are responsible would stop renaming the titles of these articles. I'm really getting tired of reading the same crap twice. And yes a good article becomes crap when it gets renamed to get more hits. Thats some bs.

Posted by: torch282 | December 2, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

You skins fans are bunch of dumb idiots. The NY Giants is a real football organization and they know how to develop talent that other teams don't want. Unlike the Redskins. For example the skins cut middle line-backer Antonio Pierce 5 years ago, he then went on to lead the Giants defense to a Super bowl in 2007. The Giants have 3 of the hottest receivers in league(Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, & Mario Manningham). All were acquired through the draft and the Giants coaching staff did an excellent job developing them into the receivers they are today. In case you dumb idiot fans didn't know, Tom Coughlin was the Giants receivers coach under Bill Parcels when they won the Super Bowl in 1990 so I think he knows a thing or two about developing unwanted talent. Can the skins say the same?

Posted by: verjj | December 2, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Didn't get a chance? Oh, please. If you're sleeping on the job, you get fired, no matter where you work. I hope Mr. Thomas learns that lesson when he's out of football next year.

Posted by: tmkelley | December 2, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Of course! that's it!
It was all Washington and Carolina's fault for not appreciating your greatness! It had nothing to do with the fact that two of the NFL's greatest coaches said "thanks but no thanks" within the span of 7 weeks. If Carolina has issues other than wide reciever, I'm sure they must be loaded with talent...........oh wait they're starting over the hill steve smith and three rookies. And yet, Devin could not even get on the field.

I never have much hope when the Redskins play the Giants in New Jersey, but if Coughlin is seriously dumb enough to start this guy even as a slot reciever, perhpas there's hope yet.

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 2, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Another "It's-Not-My-Fault-I-Failed" guy. Take some personal responsibility for your lack of success. I'd get "cut" by my employer if he saw me sleeping in meeting as well, and guess what? I'd deserve it. Not exactly afraid to see him lining up on the other side on Sunday and I doubt any of the 'Skins DB's are either.

Posted by: jpd721 | December 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure he's just some poor misunderstood youth. It's obviously the Redskins' fault they made the meeting so boring he just HAD to sleep through it.
Isn't this the guy who tried to blame his recording or music video career for his release too?
Dude just got whacked by the worst team in the NFL...I'm pretty sure if he was going to get on the field and get his opportunity it would have been there.
Has to be running out of excuses soon...

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 2, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The most sickening things is....

Picked ahead of....

DeSean Jackson

Eddie Royal

and

Mario Manningham

Redskins = WTF???

Posted by: sharkproof | December 2, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Verjj, Your comments are to the point but, damn son!! Did you actually attend elementary school? Did they teach English? " You skins fans are a bunch of dumb idiots" comment is the best example of "It takes one to know one" I have ever seen. Tighten UP!! And don't advertise stupidity.

Posted by: obxtacy313 | December 2, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse