Posted at 7:49 AM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Jayson Werth's deal with Nationals reverberates through baseball world

By Cindy Boren

The Nationals' signing of Jayson Werth to a seven-year, $126 million contract is being met with wide-ranging reactions. Chief among them? Shock.

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick points to Mike Rizzo's past experience with Werth as a key factor, but questions how well he'll do outside the Philadelphia Phillies' lineup and points out that the Nationals still need a first baseman.

If you're the Washington Nationals and you're christening Major League Baseball's winter meetings with a contract that much of the industry views as extravagant -- if not mind-blowing -- it helps to have a certain comfort level as a base.

Still, the deal blew the minds of executives arriving for baseball's annual winter meetings, which begin today. More from Crasnick:

One executive for a West Coast team had just picked up his room key when he happened upon a group of front office and media people shooting the breeze in the lobby.
"Did I hear right on the Jayson Werth contract, or was I hallucinating?" the executive said.

Sandy Alderson, general manager of the Mets, mocked the Nats, saying, "It makes some of our contracts look pretty good. That's a long time and a lot of money. I thought they were trying to reduce the deficit in Washington, D.C."

Har, har. ESPN's Keith Law says the move smacks of panic.

Phil Sheridan, who's watched Werth over the years in Philadelphia, likes the deal -- for Werth and agent Scott Boras, not so much for the Phillies or the Nats.

[The Phillies] lose a really good player and key contributor to their superb three-year run as the class of the National League. But it is worse for the Nationals, a dead-on-arrival franchise that is gambling Hall-of-Famer money on a guy who may very well be a product of his place in the Phillies' powerful lineup.
You realized the depths of the Nationals' delusion when general manager Mike Rizzo described Werth as "a centerpiece of our ball club" in announcing the deal.

Granted the Nats overpaid, but how are you feeling about the deal? If you're going to give a guy a contract that's too fat and too long, is this the right guy?

Fired up about Werth, he is going to be a great addition to our line up. Definitely a guy who is going to help us get where we want to be.less than a minute ago via web

Let's let Ozzie Guillen have the last word on Werth: "I wish I was his agent. Or his wife."

By Cindy Boren  | December 6, 2010; 7:49 AM ET
Categories:  MLB, Nationals
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dez Bryant suffers ankle fracture on kickoff return in Cowboys-Colts game
Next: Who had the best week in D.C. sports?

Comments

As we suffer through the irreperable Redskins, we kind of thought the Nats had their heads screwed on straight and were trying to build a team. Well, now lunacy from the Nats. I don't know how much of this mismanagement the Washington sports fan can take. My 13 year old daughter, who loves the Nats, is heartbroken that Dunn is gone and Worth is here. One young disillusioned fan-how many more?

Posted by: johnsont47 | December 6, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I know that they shouldn't have let Dunn get away and paid him lest than Werth. still they listen to the fan after the fact and just may really tried to win and not turn a profit if the fan stop coming they get no money and they all wealthy any way so might as well be like the Yankees and go for it. there money in DC and you win THEY WILL COME. just look at the Caps. heck go for that pitcher in Texas too. ( don't keep other player name on my mind. )

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | December 6, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Any 7-year deal is lunacy, unless the name is Pujols. This reminds me of the Cubs panicking and signing Soriano for 8 yrs after the 2006 season. Werth's a nice player as a complementary part on a championship team, but not as your main man. I'm still regretting they let Dunn go. Werth's a good player, I hope he helps, but Nats become very right-handed and still have a gaping hole at 1st base.

Posted by: section3091 | December 6, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

This is just a dumb dumb deal. A 7 year deal for a 31 year old that has been an All-Star once??? I bet he hits 18 homers next year.

Posted by: rockotodd | December 6, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

All of these shills - especially Keith Law who has hated the Nats for years and is a Redsox fan- fail to answer the basic question. What they're saying is that the Nats should have been "responsible" and seen him go to Boston on an "acceptable" contract instead. They're saying that big time free agents don't belong here.... That only THEIR favorite teams are allowed to seriously bid. Rizzo overpaid because he had to. If Werth signed with the Redsox on this contract few would have batted an eye.. ARod's deal was for TEN years! Nothing but praise.... Bunch of hypocrites. What Law represents is a jilted lover who is fuming and crying that life ain't fair... Good for the Nats!

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | December 6, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Right now it doesn't look like it but this is a good move for the Nats. JW is way way better than Dunn at every aspect of the game, and if people thought Dunn was worth what he was asking this is a solid deal.

Posted by: bob29 | December 6, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why someone on a World Series-winning team would make the move to a cellar dweller. (Unless it's about the $$$, which I've been trying to convince people for years it's not about with most pro athletes. Thanks for making me look like a doofus, Jayson.)

Posted by: bucinka8 | December 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

he'll be traded at the deadline or at the end of august to a contender for a young outfielder and prospects.

Posted by: boblesch | December 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The only lens to view this deal through is whether it makes the Nats a better team on the field. By that standard this a home run deal as Werth is a five tool player that you can plug into the middle of the lineup. As a Nats fan that has seen the ownership continually underspend in a major market, I'm relieved to see they are finally willing to do what it takes to be a competitive team in the major leagues.

For fans to complain about the size of the contract is asinine. Who else better could the Nats have targeted? Why would a good player choose to come to the Nats unless we are the highest bidder? It costs big bucks to compete with the best. The Nats will never be a respected and successful franchise unless they are willing to compete financially, which in DC should not be an issue.

Posted by: hotasice141 | December 6, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't make any sense.

The Nats problems (in order):

1) Pitching
2) Pitching
3) Pitching

and so their response is to sign a really good defensive outfielder with a little bit of pop in his bat?

And then pay $126M for the privilege?

Posted by: Skeptic1 | December 6, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Horrible move. It's like the Haynesworth signing - what kind of production does he have to get to merit that kind of money? He'd have to be an All Star or it's a bust.

Posted by: Aerowaz | December 6, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Is Danny Snyder now running the Nationals? I believe the Nats are overpaying Mr. Werth by about $50 million.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | December 6, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

If they had gotten Werth for 4-5 years for less money and kept Dunn, I would have been excited, assuming they got a starting pitcher. But the size of the contract almost reminds me of the Albert Haynsworth deal from our friends Vinny Cerrate, Jim Zorn, and Danny Snyder. That said, as far as contributing to the Nats and being a good human being, I have no doubt the Jason Werth will be a good addition. I think it was about 2 to 3 years too long and about $3-4M a year too much, but, hey, I'm not Rizzo or the Lerners.

Posted by: Tex4 | December 6, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

How about changing the real name of Washington's baseball team to what they really are "NADS" especially after this move, everyone knows pitching wins ball games!

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 6, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

A few things to remember:

1) Rizzo is going to have to overpay to sign anyone of substance;

2) Not only is Rizzo paying to have Werth on our team but also to NOT have him on theirs. It works on two levels;

3) Signing Werth now, before the winter meetings begin, shows other quality players that the Nats are serious about getting better NOW. Maybe now you don't have to overpay as much for the next guy;

4) There WILL be a next guy. Can he afford Crawford? Would he be interested in playing in the same outfield as Werth? Can you imagine...

Posted by: Mathonwy | December 6, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

How about changing the National's new jersey to the real name of Washington's baseball team. The front of the jersey should read "NADS" especially after this move, everyone knows pitching wins ball games. I guess now they are set to Win the pennant!!! NOT!

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 6, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Food for thought:

When was the last time a Washington, DC - sourced professional athlete was acquired by another team for a high 8, 9 or even 10 digit salary?

Can't remember.

This city is a dead end - talent only goes one way, there is little to no talent development here.

Posted by: drnosewater | December 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Jayson Werth will be OK for the Nats. Now they have to go after 1B Carlos Peña and another Starter pitcher.

Posted by: GUALLUBO | December 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

So long as Nyjer Morgan is starting in center field, it won't matter who is in right field. The liability is Morgan. Heck, you could stick my cripled, lazy, crazy, basement-bound aunt in right field and it won't matter.

Deal Morgan. Get a real centerfielder. Until then it just looks like desperation and more marketing gimmickry.

But why should we expect less from Ted et al...?

Posted by: medic2010 | December 6, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It was too much and for too long, but the Nats needed to make a statement - their season ticket base is dwindling and their on-field product is languishing.
All that said, Keith Law is a pretentious, arrogant, hater, wind-bag.

Posted by: jeadpt | December 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

So typical of D.C. public figures - whether politicians or pro athletes - totally overrated and overpaid. Danny Snyder gives a 5-year/$72 million contract to a washed up, erratic QB who can't and won't likely take 'Skins to the Superbowl before it is up. Now, the Nats ante up with deal with Werth who? Yup, that's D.C. for ya!

Posted by: TalkingHead1 | December 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Dumb. Too long, too much. Enjoy the losing, friends.

Posted by: Jerkstore | December 6, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What a sick society--that any athlete can be paid so richly, or that we can blow billions on gambling every year while real human needs exist.

Posted by: dan1138 | December 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Stupid, stupid, stupid move! How can the Nats justify spending that kind of money on an outfielder that we really didn't need and let Adam Dunn go?! The team is already inundated with outfielders. I thought they were so desperately in need of a 1st baseman! And they signed him for 7 years! STUPID!!

Posted by: burnie4241 | December 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

for years the trolls who haunt nats' blogs have been crying: "waaaaaah! the lerners are cheap b*st*rds who won't shell out for talent! waaaaaah!"

but let the nats sign jayson werth and, without missing a beat they're crying "waaaaah! they paid too much for too long! waaaaah!"

of course they usually they add helpful suggestions about how they should have signed him for five million less and three years fewer, so it's not as if they're not trying to be constructive.

if werth plays like werth is capable of playing, for a solid five years or so, the results and the money will be there. if he doesn't, it was a bad bet. 'cuz that's what it is, is a bet.

i think it's a pretty good one considering the hand the nats are holding. i'm looking forward to welcoming him to d.c.

Posted by: stoat1 | December 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

best reaction of was the lovely bunch of sour grapes from the mets' g.m., who can't afford the ante because of all the bozos they've thrown money at.

the problem was never the money, of course, it was the bozos.

Posted by: stoat1 | December 6, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If it pisses the rest of the league off, it must have been a good deal. Most MLB teams would rather the Nats be their farm team for prospects or an easy team to beat on their schedule. They resent another competitor entering their territory.

Go Nats, don't take any s- and keep going for it!

Posted by: cabraman | December 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

It only irritates the rest of the league because they paid so much for an above-average outfielder, it drives the market to ridiculous heights for really great outfielders.

That certainly isn't good news for fans in cities other than Boston, NY, Philly & LA.

Worse, it limits what the Nats can do to acquire some decent pitching. Answer: there will be no other acquisitions of note because they blew all the money on a right fielder.

Its the mark of a perennial loser to do something like this. Its a sop for the fans, not a move to building a real MLB roster.

But hey, go enjoy the Nats right fielder.

Posted by: Skeptic1 | December 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The Yankees do it all the time.

Posted by: Theone9 | December 6, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Good move, bad price...but if you are as rich as the Lerners and want to win while the Patriarch is still alive, you do what you have to do.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | December 6, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

This is a no-brainer great move for the Nats. Would anyone not have traded Dunn for Werth? Adam Dunn was a great contributor in 1/4 of the Nats games; a wash in another 1/4; and a negative factor in the other 1/2. This signing will lure other free agents and frees up a few outfielders to trade. Great move! Go Nats!

Posted by: T77elvo | December 6, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully it works for the Nats (starting to like "Nads") but it is a lot of money for someone who may not make an impact on the field to the extent the money deserves.

Posted by: tojo45 | December 6, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Excellent power and average, good leather, bazooka for an arm. Solidifies the outfield. That leaves the Nats with some trade bait--Nyjer, Willingham.

Posted by: maldo16 | December 6, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

While there are obvious risks, the question I ask is whether doing this deal is better than doing nothing (which I was afraid was going to happen this off season). On that basis, I think the deal is a very good one. Is Werth being overpaid? I don't know what that means. Could the Nats have gotten him (or an equivalent talent) for less? I doubt it. Why would a big time free agent come here, if not for a lot of money? Also, the Nats have a lot of salary room given the size of the market, and the fact that they will not have Dunn's contract to contend with. Is seven years too long? We will find out, but at least there will be some stability for a while. Is having Werth in the line-up better than having Dunn? I think the answer is clearly yes. Dunn, while exciting to watch, was very poor at moving runners up, or otherwise contributing offensively in meaningful situations. I also think this signing gives the team some flexibilty in the outfield (which really needed an overhaul). I am hoping that, with Werth a mainstay for a long time, Bernadina can move to left or center, we can get rid of Nyjer Morgan (please), and/or maybe derive some value from a trade of Willingham. I am hoping that this is just the first of number of moves that adds some front line pitching (they will never get a Cliff Lee, however),and a decent fielding and hitting first baseman ( I like Derek Lee). I doubt that this will be another Soriano situation, because Werth is a better ballplayer.

Posted by: myecies10613 | December 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myecies10613 | December 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

As a fan, why should you care what he is paid, you do not write the check. Does he make the line-up better, yes or no?

Posted by: bestowens | December 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myecies10613 | December 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Great pickup that will add value to the Nats lineup and for defense. Since we aren't the Yankees or Red Sox, we have to overpay. That reality fans.

And try to see the glass half full versus always half empty. Life is too short.

Go Nats.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 6, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

To much money?
To many years?
Good deal for Nats?
Bad teams must overpay to lure free agents.
Will it make a difference?
Short term probably not. Long term--maybe but not unless Nats sign at least 2 starting pitchers.

It's all about PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING!!!

GO OVERPAY FOR SOME GOOD STARTING PITCHERS!!!

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | December 6, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

They could've signed Dunn for 4 years at less than half the money, and used the remainder to sign another good player. Just ridiculous.

Posted by: dhenken1 | December 6, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

With that kind of money, he should be able to afford a barber.

Posted by: rmlwj1 | December 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Well if you're going to shell out that kind of money it's imperative that it be done on a guy of high quality and character. There is NO character risk here - this is not Albert Haynesworth. That removes a lot of risk. Packing it in after signing the deal just isn't in Werth's makeup. I'd FAR rather overpay for a guy of quality with lesser stats than give a guy like Manny Ramirez a huge deal. I rather like our odds on this....who's to say, in a few years it may look cheap!

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | December 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I am excited about this deal. He doesn't have the pop that Dunn had, but he hits for a better average and he adds many of the skills that the teams is trying to focus upon (speed, defense, etc.) I worry with others who fear it is for too much and for too long, but remember, this is baseball, where the Yankees can go spend 250 million a year if they feel like it. This signing does not blow our budget. If the team is willing to spend, they can still go get a 1st baseman and whatever pitching is available. Question is, even if we are the high bidder on a guy like Lee, does he want to come play here and lose for a couple more years?

Now, if the team stops here and says they have spent their money, then I don't like this deal.

Posted by: MrDumberton | December 6, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe all the bad-mouthing that's going on with this Werth contract. For all the years that we've complained about the Lerner's being cheap, now we see them actually spending enormous gobs of money, and all we do is complain about them overspending.

Don't get me wrong, 7 years, 126$ is way too much for Werth, but the Nationals were never going to be able to become a team that could get exceptional players for reasonable contracts before first being a team that landed reasonable players for exceptional contracts. They've gone after the big fish before (Texeira, Sabathia), but merely competing with Yankees/Red Sox money isn't enough when you can't (yet) compete with Yankees/Red Sox legacy and W/L record.

The extra money and years over Werth's market value that the Nationals just spent on him isn't just money down the drain, it's an entrance fee into baseball's elite club of high-spenders. It shows that the Nats will be right there in the sweepstakes for every elite free agent available. And it sends a message to the fans, as well as all of MLB, that Nationals ownership is dedicated to spending the money to become a winner.

I, for one, have never been more excited to be a Nats fan.

Posted by: jmorrisa | December 6, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Nice player. Way overpaid. He was about the 4th best player in the Phillies every day lineup. The world has indeed gone crazy.

Posted by: randysbailin | December 6, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Werth will be the Jason Bay of the Nats

Posted by: Thecrazyone | December 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The Nats had to do what the Nats had to do. They had to go in early, before the Yankees and Red Sox got involved, and make a deal Werth couldn't refuse. It's a good deal for the Nats. He'll make up about 85-90% of Adam Dunn's productivity and if we sign a 1B or move Morse to 1B and have him play everyday he'll add 20-25 HR and 80 some RBIs as well. Yes, they still need pitching but I'd say look for a well thought out trade coming up - maybe Willingham for a #2 or #3 starter - or something along those lines. This will be a very good move for the Nats also in that it will raise the interest of all the other top line free agents as well to take the Nats seriously. All the execs at the winter meetings are posturing about this being a bad deal only because they were beaten to the punch. All of them would have done the same deal.

Posted by: AsstGM | December 6, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Now, if we can just get the Wizards to take Elton Brand off our hands!

JW is a solid player, but don't know how boras get these kinds of contracts.

Posted by: bigD3 | December 6, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Why are Nats fans so upset about this contract? This is baseball. There's no salary cap! Like others have already mentioned, the only way the Nats could and will get major free agents is to overpay in $ and years. Once the Nats become a respectable franchise, they can deal at market value. That's still a ways away.

Werth is a solid player and person. His age is misleading as he didn't play consistently until he went to Philly. If the Nats can sign Adam LaRoche to fill the void at 1B, they will have the second best lineup in the division.

Pitching is obviously still a major issue. One step at a time, Nats fans. Getting an innings-eater like Millwood would be great (just don't peg him in as the #1 starter, a la the Orioles).

Posted by: CanOCorn | December 6, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I like the deal!

It's too bad they weren't willing to drop this kind of cash before!!!

For those of you complaining about signing Werth it comes down to one simple concept.

Are we a better or worse team with Jayson Werth on the field?

Duh, we are better.

Some of you live in LA-LA land when you talk about the Nats and free agency. We are a BAD BASEBALL TEAM and we need to drop some extra cash to get good players. DC is not thought of as a good sports town (like New York, Philly, Boston etc) and we need to do something to lure good players here.

Newsflash, we will not be trading Nyjer Morgan (and others) for front line players because NYJER MORGAN SUCKS.

Great move Nats!

I'm on board and I'm gonna buy a partial ticket package!

Posted by: IReadTheBaltimoreSunWhenIWantToReadGoodSportsWriting | December 6, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

In our position, we have to over-pay a few guys to get serious talent in here. Hopefully the young guys will fill the gaps.

Posted by: shanks1 | December 6, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Nothing makes me more confident about free agent signings than when the media roundly criticize them. I am now more confident than I was yesterday that Jayson Werth will be a superstar for the Nats.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Signing Werth doesn't cost me a dime. (It might affect ticket prices but I don't buy tickets.) The Lerners will pay him, not me. So I'm for it--we get Werth and give up--a draft pick?

Posted by: BPupp | December 6, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

first of all, i'd basically cut the entire wide receiver corp, replace 3 of the starting 5 offensive linemen, get a couple of quick linebackers, and stout defensive linemen.... then I'd think we may have the makings of a contender....

.... oh wait, this isn't a redskin thread? Nevermind, let's make a couple of trades with the orioles..

Posted by: tommycat | December 6, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnsont47 | December 6, 2010 9:20 AM

BASEBALL DOES NOT HAVE A SALARY CAP

Let me repeat myself so that you can understand it...

BASEBALL DOES NOT HAVE A SALARY CAP

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BPupp | December 6, 2010 4:59 PM

Yep - second rounder. Though we have two first rounders and a sandwich (between rounds) in next summer's draft - so it's not an enormous loss.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Hello loyal National fans...As a Philly fan it hurts to see Werth go...I was curious to see who the National fans felt about the deal so I came here...I have watched Werth play pretty much every game here in Philly and there is a few things I can say...

1. He was valuable due to the fact he was a right handed bat in a left handed line up. When you are looking at a spot to pitch to someone Ultey, Howard or Werth, teams were pretty much in trouble. Pitchers were forced to throw strikes to him when these guys were hitting...

2. I feel one of the posters was right. Most fans (when a team is not productive) gets upset when their org does not spend money, now they did and you are upset. Let's be honest, for a good caliber player you need to linger more cash to draw them to this type of team...The real value on werth is maybe a 5 yr deal somewhere around 90mil (still a little steep)...

3. Werth as "the guy" may fair, but that is a lot of money for a guy who has NEVER been "the guy"... No offense to Werth, he was great, but he was replaceable. A replaceable guy is not really worth $126MM...

4. What you wil get for $126... 20 doubles, 15-20 steals, .280ish avg, 85RBI and about 15-20HR... This is decent, but not $126 decent. He is a character and will liven up the locker room and add some "flavor" to it, but the bottom line is he is a GREAT supporting cast member and an unproven/unknown "the guy" player...

I do wish Jayson the best of luck and I hope that he earns his contract in Washington. He was one of my favorties, but I can not see him giving the Nationals the best chance to win now (esp with Strausburg's injury)...

Posted by: PhillyPhan950 | December 6, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I remember Jayson Werth from 1997 draft when he was selected by the Baltimore Orioles. Interesting. Now he comes home to the area (DC-Balt) where he originally came from.

What's your take on the signing, Cindy? Have a feeling you don't think it was a smart one. But you'd definitely liked to have just a measly one percent of Werth's contract, don't you? :)

Posted by: RedCherokee | December 6, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Philly Phan, to be fair Werth has averaged around 30 hrs the past two seasons and had 46 doubles with a higher OPS than Zimmerman and improves our dreadful team defense... Would any Nats fans question giving Zimmerman this kind of bread? Think about it... Werth has been on some great winning clubs and been a great postseason clutch performer. Glad to have a winner in town.

Posted by: jeffbo_80 | December 7, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

OK it's time to put a stop to this insanity. All Baseball owners need to get together and agree to put a salary cap on this thing called Baseball. Players are in the most injury free sport out there except for bowling maybe. The salaries that are being paid are so disgusting and pathetic it's sickening to watch. I say 3 million a year is it if you dont want to play for that quit or get let go. Then a 7 year contract still puts you in an elite group of income levels. Doctors who spend the first third of their lives going to school to be a greatly needed part of society dont come close to that kind of money. Frankly the athletes of today do not deserve or does their profession warrant this kind of money. Try it my way for a few years and see the same people who are trying to be pro-athletes will still sign up and play and the average Joe can again enjoy going to a game with the family. I say we should all boycott Baseball for a while til they see it for what it is ridiculous. One more thing most players that recieve this kind of contract never give enough back to the team to deserve it look at A-rod. Hey Yankees get some of your money back!!!

Posted by: kr_woodall | December 9, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse