Posted at 2:47 PM ET, 12/13/2010

Sal Alosi says he 'just wasn't thinking' when he tripped Dolphins player

By Cindy Boren

alosi.jpg
Sal Alosi's knee meets an onrushing Nolan Carroll. (Opposingviews.com)

Updated at 4:37 p.m.

New York jets strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi apologized again today, saying that he "just wasn't thinking" when he tripped Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll as he ran by Alosi on the sideline during the Jets-Dolphins game.

Asked why he stuck his knee out, Alosi said: "If I could go back and do it again, I'd sure as heck take a step back. It was just a situation where I wasn't thinking."

It has not been determined whether the Jets or the NFL will discipline him. As to whether he will remain with the organization, Coach Rex Ryan said, "As soon as we know officially what it's going to be, we'll get it out there." Ryan declined to say whether the offense was a fireable one and added that "the organization and NFL are working on this collectively." He declined to go into specifics.

Alosi, the Jets tweeted, didn't offer to resign. However, "whatever disciplinary actions, are, I'm going to accept them," Alosi said. Before taking a few media questions, Alosi, 33, read a statement:

"Once again I'd like to apologize to Nolan Carroll, [Dolphins] Coach [Tony[ Sparano, [Jets owner] Mr. [Woody] Johnson and the entire New York Jets organization. It's an honor and a privilege to work every day and coach every day in the National Football League. I come in contact with a lot of good people in our building every day -- players, staff, coaches -- and I let everybody down with my actions. My actions were inexcusable and irresponsible.

"I'm extremely thankful that my actions yesterday didn't result in any significant injury to Nolan or any other player."

By Cindy Boren  | December 13, 2010; 2:47 PM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NFL Network to show Vikings-Giants rerun tonight
Next: Tampa Bay linebacker Geno Hayes arrested after victory over Redskins

Comments

1 month suspension with no pay.

Posted by: jackson641 | December 13, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

One of the reporters should have tripped him as he left the podium.

Posted by: blackmanhl | December 13, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable lack of sportsmanship and intent to injure. Should be suspended rest of the season for sure. What kind of example does this set?

Posted by: steve20082008 | December 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm no Miami fan, but what does it say about the Jets organization that:

1) They haven't punished this d-bag yet
2) They haven't fired this d-bag yet

He's admitted he did it twice now, so you can't say that you're reviewing the television videos or anything.

What an absolutely classless organization.

Posted by: mika_england | December 13, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

He should be fired. No question at all. He assaulted a player on the field.

If this happened outside of football. If you tripped a co-worker, and potentially injured them, what would happen? You would be fired, escorted out of the building and possibly criminally prosecuted.

Posted by: dbouw | December 13, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

The Jets seemed to of put their biggest coaches in a line at the corner of the coaching box, so if an opposing players is pushed out of bounds on a punt, he'd land into them and be out of the play.

How's that for sportsmanship?

Fine him, and once he pays the fine, fire him.

Posted by: kenk33 | December 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Fire him.

Posted by: America2010 | December 13, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Besides the complete lack of class and sportsmanship, what stands out about this are two things:

1)It would not have any effect on the game He intended to injure the Dolphins player.

2) He is a strength and conditioning coach whose purpose is to prevent injuries in players. And here he is doing something that could have caused a serious one to that player.

Coaches like this are a dime a dozen, The Jets should "jettison" Alosi and get a responsible adult in that job.

Posted by: phoaglan1 | December 13, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Guess NFL is just so busy trying to figure out what to do about the Favre "sexting" incident, that they just don't have the time to deal with this latest incident.

This is a no brainer - suspension for the rest of the season, at least.

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | December 13, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Suspension for remainder of season.

Extra duty as a tackling dummy during OTAs mini camps next season.

Posted by: mustang946 | December 13, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if he had injured this player, or ended this player's career. I guess he'd feel that the justification that he was "just not thinking" would still cut it. I'm not a Jets fan, but if they have any integrity as a team, they will get rid of this jackwagon. They should have done it already.

Posted by: CAmira5 | December 13, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Takes a monstrous act to make Woody Hayes look classy, but I think Alosi just pulled it off.

Maybe Fox News needs a sports commentator.

Posted by: mattintx | December 13, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

He did show good sportsmantrip.

Get it?

Posted by: kenk33 | December 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

It appears that's not a real tight shop Rex Ryan is running there.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 13, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

He did show good sportsmanstrip.

Get it?

Posted by: kenk33 | December 13, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I believe he's a Jets employee. NFL should suspend him for the rest of this season and half of next season. Jets should make it a moot point by firing him. Totally classless and the fact that the Jets haven't acted by now is disappointing.

Posted by: dallenva | December 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm not passing on this anecdote to excuse Alosi. I also realize the anecdote harkens back to a different era. I just want to remind all that football is a game, meant to be played and viewed for FUN--even with all the billions being thrown around!! The anecdote: There's an ancient film sequence--shown on TV--of a Dallas Cowboy from long ago sticking his foot out and tripping an opposing player who was galloping for the goal line. The Tripper: Dandy Don Meredith; R.I.P! I KNOW pro football is a billion-dollar business, so punish the man but LIGHTEN UP!! Don't take away his career because of an unwise impulse!! If we fired everyone who yielded just once to impulse and committed a close-to-harmless act, the unemployment lines would be 50 miles long!! And don't tell me how the player could've been seriously injured; we're talking about a game where huge mobile masses of muscle hurl themselves at each other at full speed on purpose!!

Posted by: Postdotcom1 | December 13, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Fire him. No question about it.

Posted by: mcaicedo | December 13, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

At least Woody Hayes had the guts to step out and punch the guy.

Posted by: Garak | December 13, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes it was unsportsman like conduct but what bothers me most is that the player could have been injured and not only that but a career ending injury.
The Jets haven't acted, but what I am really waiting for is to see what the NFL is going to do.

Posted by: jscroggin | December 13, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

If he were a player he would be suspended. But hey, they did nothing to the Oakland coach when he assaulted and assistant breaking his Jaw so I dont expect too much from the NFL on this. Maybe the fact that it was caught on tape may force their hand.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 13, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

. . . yeah - I know . . .

. . . but I gotta say it . . .

Snyder's gonna hire him . . . .

Posted by: palmtree2001 | December 13, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

If it is a one-time offense, I would let him off with not much of a penalty. If it is part of a longer-term problem with this coach that's another matter. Everyone deserves a chance to make a mistake, but you have to learn from it.

Posted by: JeffRandom | December 13, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JeffRandom | December 13, 2010 7:15 PM |
==========================================
I have to disagree with you on this one. If this were on the field and between two players then okay give the tripper a penalty and continue the play. After all, both the fin and the jet are on the field and know what to expect.

This was a cowardly cheap shot from the sideline as the player was running down the field; the player wasn't expecting it and therefore wasn't prepared for it.

While perhaps it was a "thoughtless moment" on the part of a coach, I believe it is part of the climate created by a big mouth braggadocio, frustrated coach who just had his head handed to him the game before in a total beat down.

Alosi should get the pink slip. There is no excuse for his behavior and he could have cost the player his career.

Posted by: krankyman | December 13, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame him,I would have tripped his *ss too! In the moment!

Posted by: mradams | December 13, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with most of the posts here. I'm a pretty follow the straight and narrow path type of guy, but there are two situations where I did something really stupid without thinking, which I can't even mention. So, I'd give this guy a second chance.

Posted by: Playitagainsam | December 13, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I do feel some sympathy for Alosi. Granted that he was standing a little to close to the line, I don't think anyone would expect Carroll to step that far out of bound. Maybe what he did was a defensive reaction. I would allow him some doubt but the fact that this was caught all on tape will just haunt the poor guy for the rest of career. This is why I think the fine and suspension is enough. There was a poll a few hours ago asking if the punishment was fair, http://my-take.com/poll/do-you-feel-it-was-fair-for-the-jets-to-suspend-the-coach-for-tripping-the-dolphins-player and from the results people besides the super fans agree with me too. If Alosi felt that bad about it, he does have the option to quit but considering the recession I wouldn't begrudge him for holding on to his job for along as he can.

Posted by: ElsieW1n | December 14, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse