Posted at 1:31 PM ET, 12/17/2010

Theismann on McNabb: The handwriting's 'in paint and it's in very big letters'

By Cindy Boren

5jerseys.jpg
From DC Sports Bog on those heady post-Easter days.

Think there's a chance Donovan McNabb returns to the Washington Redskins next year? Former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann doesn't. He was asked in an interview with the NFL Network's Randy Moss if the handwriting was on the wall for No. 5 after being benched by Mike Shanahan in favor of Rex Grossman.

"I don't think the handwriting is on the wall, I think it's in paint and it's in very big letters," Theismann said. "Donovan McNabb will not be a Washington Redskin going forward. ... I think he's [Shanahan] made that very, very obvious."

Speaking with Moss before the Shanahan press conference, Theismann said the move was one "of desperation" and one that "didn't happen overnight." He was asked for his reaction to the statement by Fletcher Smith, McNabb's agent, that the move was "disrespectful."

"That's baloney from a mouthpiece. That's the way I look at it. Did people forget that Donovan got benched in Philadelphia just a couple of years ago? Was that disrespectful? ... This is not unprecedented in Donovan's career.

"I will say this, [Smith] is extremely accurate in his description of the way in which Donovan has handled every one of the situations that have come before him. He has handled them with class, with integrity and you have to have the utmost respect for Donovan McNabb, the man, the way he has handled these situations. But it is not Donovan the man that is being replaced. It is Donovan the quarterback, the player, the guy who hasn't been able to play to the level that I'm sure he wanted to play to and the Redskins wanted him to. That's who is being replaced. This is not disrespectful. This is football and if you don't perform you're not going to be on the football field."

Click here for more of the interview.

By Cindy Boren  | December 17, 2010; 1:31 PM ET
Categories:  NFL, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb benched; Rex Grossman to start: Your reaction
Next: Rex Ryan maintains innocence on Sal Alosi tripping incident

Comments

There is only ONE question to ask here --

Did McNabb EARN a position on the team, much less a starting position?

The clear answer to that is a resounding NO. If he plays, it is only as a hand-out, as a gratuity to him. The quality of his play has not earned him a spot on this team.

Posted by: ooyah32 | December 17, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Why is Joe T commentating on thursday night football... hurts listening him trying to do his job.

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 17, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

So Joe the answer to the Redskin fans is Rex Grossman?? Grossman give you almost no chance to win this game at all - McNabb was Shanahans pick his decision this is not a Haynesworth(Buttersworth) situation

Posted by: agarnett1000 | December 17, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

This was old news before it was even posted. McNabb is not returning next year.

Even more annoying, I agree with Joe T. That's just ridiculous.

Posted by: messykat | December 17, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

At what point does the coach get kicked off the football field? He clearly has not performed either.

Posted by: TonyG186 | December 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Update: McNabb will be the No. 2 QB behind Grossman this weekend.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 17, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Whereas Grossman has earned his chance to start? One play, one turnover, one touchdown for the opponent.

Posted by: kguy1 | December 17, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Tough to disagree with anything Joe said.

Posted by: CapsNut | December 17, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't think McNabb is coming back either which doesn't help the franchise.
Grossman can't start, Beck can't start.

So next year's team doesn't have a starter or back-up. Add that to all the other holes on the team and next year will be just as bad as this one.

With all the problems why not plan on keeping McNabb and filling in the other holes and making a move for a qb when it could make a difference? I'm not looking forward to Derek Anderson at QB.

Posted by: Pensfans | December 17, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

It is obvious that the Redskins will use the Falcons/Rams strategy of drafting their starting quarterback for next year; and if an interim quarterback is needed it will be Rex Grossman.

I only wish we hadn't traded two much needed draft choices before implementing this strategy.

Posted by: atkissonjim | December 17, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I can think of two more who should not return next season. Neither coach has earned their keep.

Posted by: cymp65 | December 17, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I can't argue with benching him but why not start the unproven Beck as opposed to Grossman? We know what we are getting with Rex. I'd like to see what the unproven guy can do.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | December 17, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

There is only ONE question to ask here --

Did McNabb EARN a position on the team, much less a starting position?

Posted by: ooyah32 | December 17, 2010 2:14 PM |
*******************************************

Who has EARNED a position on this team then?

Their amazing O-line, receivers, defense?

The better question to ask is: Does Grossman give them a better chance to win games or do you think that Grossman could be the answer for them in terms of building for next year?

Posted by: redclaws | December 17, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Another BRILLIANT move by Snyder and Co. Did we only have to give up two draft picks for McNabb? One was a second round pick (37th overall) and one was a third or fourth rounder. I'm surprised we couldn't find a way to deal a first rounder.

Way to build a team there Danny! The circus continues . . .

Posted by: dcnationals1 | December 17, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think McNabb is coming back either which doesn't help the franchise.
Grossman can't start, Beck can't start.

Posted by: Pensfans | December 17, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

shanny just said on espn 980 grossman and beck will be looked at the last 3 games, good, bad, or indifferent. as a 40 yr. fan of this franchise, i can only say that the baffoonery continues. there is only 1 man who could really turn this around, bill parcells, and he won't come within 100 miles of redskin park. the misery continues, i'm sorry to say.

Posted by: miked4 | December 17, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan continues to throw people under the bus while he tries to mask the fact that he and his coaching staff (particularly his son) are incompetent. He continues to treat people with disrespect. I hope Donovan McNabb does not come back because he deserves better than the treatment he has received under Shanahan.

Posted by: Amelgepo | December 17, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Fire Shanny hire Grimm not because i'm living in the past because he deserves it

Posted by: southportwave | December 17, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Why is anyone even remotely blaming Mr. Snyder for benching of Mr. McNabb and the starting of Grossman/Beck?

Everyone was thrilled when Mr. Snyder selected Mike Shanahan to be head coach and Bruce Allen to be General Manager, when Mr. Snyder made both Mr. Shanahan and Mr. Executive Vice Presidents and stepped back from being involved in the decision making, and when Mr. Snyder gave Mr. Shanahan complete authority and final decision making for all coaching and personnel matters among other things (making one wonder what Mr. Allen's role is), and when the Redskins traded for Mr. McNabb.

Now people are upset at Mr. Snyder? Why? He did what almost everyone wante done; he stepped away from the day-to-day activities, the involvment with the players, etc., and he gave you an Executive Vice President (two, actually) and a General Manager to make decisions. Now what do you want from Mr. Snyder? To get involved in this latest issue?

dungarees2@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | December 17, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes there is ONLY one question to ask here, but it's not about Donovan McNabb per se or the next game or even the rest of the season. It's "what are the right decisions to make the Redskins a credible, competitive football team in 2012 or 2013 (at the earliest)?" Until those running this circus understand that they will be doomed to failure. How benching and alienating Donovan helps this team down the road is beyond me. Maybe it shows that the "coddling" of star players era is over (a la Haynesworth) and everyone will be held accountable from now on. I guess that's good, but it seems equally likely that it just pisses off half the locker room. Maybe that doesn't matter either . . . It just seems odd--if they'd made a couple of field goals last game would he be starting? Are they trying out Grossman because they want to see if he's a credible stop-gap next year . . .

Posted by: Bass1 | December 17, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The whole Shanahan family needs to go, Kyle with those pee wee leauge plays and Mike not willing to admit he time has been up

Posted by: tlj-dc | December 17, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

For all of you who don't care for Joe T. when he was the QB of the 'Skins, in the offseason he would bring his kids to a McDonalds next to where I worked and when I approached him, he was as friendly as could be. He talked to me as if he had known me for a long time. I also went up to Riggns one time while he was on an ice rink with his daughter. Not out with his wife at dinner, on an ice rink. The way he treated me, I was hoping he would come out on the ice without his little girl so I could kick his skates out from underneath him. I have played hockey all my life and I could have knocked him down with ease as he could barely stand up. What an arrogant jerk.

Posted by: TJDemo | December 17, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Joe is right. This is football. Even if Shanahan just wants to see if Grossman will do better one week, that's fine. You replace players and see what combinations work best when things aren't going well. It's not disrespectful. There's no entitlement to be on the field.

Posted by: OintheSierras | December 17, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks that Grossman is the answer is not qualified to manage a fantasy league much less coach an NFL team.

Posted by: oldnova | December 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Theismann is absolutely right about the whole situation. The Shanahan bashers need to just put a lid on it. If you don't perform then you don't play. Simple as that and I have been a McNabb apologist all season long.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 17, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

You people are so funny acting like you've got a clue about football. The issue here is the Redskins stink, and they are not going anywhere near the playoffs, so the idea is NOT to try and do anything to win the remaining 3 games. The idea is to evaluate what you have on the bench, and see if they will be here next year. You've got to determine who is staying and who is going, and fill in the holes. Get a clue people.

Posted by: Ireland2 | December 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Lawerence Taylor

Posted by: 20bello | December 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Lawerence Taylor

Posted by: 20bello
Drug addict and rapist.

Posted by: TJDemo | December 17, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I won't argue that McNabb has done a great job with the Redskins (he hasn't), but does anybody seriously think that Grossman can win against Dallas? I don't. I'm not saying that McNabb would do it either, but he would have a better chance than Grossman.

Posted by: CAmira5 | December 17, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember where and when Theisman gave my favorite "TV announcer" quote? "I've know that since I was infantile."

Posted by: polysciprof | December 17, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 17, 2010 3:23 PM
=========================================
So doesn't that mean the we need to Bench Shanahan?

Posted by: Angryman | December 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

TJDemo, yeah, but Riggins would have tracked you down afterwards and broken your body into a hundred pieces.

Posted by: nuzuw | December 17, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I liked Billy, not Sonny. I liked Schroeder, not Theismann. I liked Rypien not Williams. I liked Ramsey, not Brunnell. I liked Todd Collins, not Clownble. I like McNabb, not...

The move to remove McNabb may be the worst decision the Skins have ever made.

Tho, I didn't like Theismann, I will admit he was the last really good QB the Skins ever had. McNabb is better than he was.

HUGE mistake to give up on McNabb. This team has far more severe problems to deal with, like an inept defensive coordinator, an inept offensive line, an inept running game, and you put this on McNabb's shoulders.

Give me an f- break!

Posted by: dc1020008 | December 17, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

TJ Demo...agree with you about Riggo. Great football player, ugly azswhole otherwise...

Posted by: dc1020008 | December 17, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc1020008 | December 17, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Trade McNabb to the Vikes for a 4th round pick.
Trade Haynesworth to the Titans or Lions for a 3rd round pick.

Trade your #1 and your extra 3rd and 4th round picks to move up and draft Luck.
Let Luck watch Grossman for a year, then start him.

Spend the rest of the next 2 drafts on O and D line.

Championship by year 3. Book it.

Posted by: jgarrisn | December 17, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

This is simple ... Let Grossman get the s--t beat out of him for the next two seasons. Meanwhile, draft a QB of the future and get a O Line in front of him. That way by the time the Line is ready the QB will be ready. This team is in such a huge hole its going to take that long just to be RESPECTABLE!! This week doesn't matter. Just start thinking about the future!!

Posted by: Monkman63 | December 17, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

It baffles me that all these so called football experts are ignoring the basic problem with the offense which is: (1) The line has stunk for years and for most of the year!(2) The running backs are old or have been injury-proned! and (3) The wide receivers have also aged and have been ineffective. What is McNabb supposed to do? Throw to himself and then run for 20 yards?? I mean come on people. He's not the problem, management has been and still is the problem.

Posted by: poeticfire | December 17, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

How about benching Kyle instead? His play calling has been a disaster all season long. Starting Grossman makes no sense whatsoever. If you really want to go away from McNabb go ahead and start Beck. I don't think he can play either but at least give him a shot.

Posted by: mburix | December 17, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 17, 2010 3:23 PM
=========================================
So doesn't that mean the we need to Bench Shanahan?

Posted by: Angryman | December 17, 2010 4:08 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If anybody out there thought the Redskins had the talent to compete for the playoffs then you don't have a clue about football. The Redskins are losing because they don't have enough talent. They don't have enough talent due to years of mismanagement by Snyder/Cerratto. Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan need several years to turn this around. There's no quick fix. Patience is the most important thing for Skins fans. The Skins finally have competent football people in place but it takes time. If you want immediate gratification then you are no better than Snyder and you should root for Snyder to take the reins again. Then you will get what you deserve.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 17, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

If I'm McNabb, I'm happy to get this ish over with and prepare to go to the Cardinals or Vikings, playing for the Redskins is a punishment.

What this really shows me is that the tentacles of Dan Snyder are long-HE made the trade for McNabb happen moreso than Mike Shanahan, otherwise Shanahan wouldn't do this to his "handpicked" QB.

Or Shanahan actually made the trade, it was disastrous and he has now proven that player-personnel decisions should be taken out of his hands.

I think the former-Snyder as he's prone to do went and procured a player he THOUGHT a coach would like (ie.,Patrick Ramsey being hoisted upon Steve Spurrier to Spurrier's chagrin, Jason Campbell & Haynesworth being forced upon Jim Zorn) and used the force of his personality to accomplish his usual sabotage of a new Redskins coach.

Some of you are furious with Shanahan-I think you need to train your fustration on this with Snyder, after all we just blew two more draft picks, needlessly for this nonsense, helping to ensure the rebuilding is going to take just that much longer.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 17, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Shanny= coach and football director. He makes the decisions. This has nothing to do with respect. If you play football, you run the risk of being cut every game. I don't understand this whining about not treating McNabb well. That's horse hockey. If McNabb wants to be the starter, I would suggest playing better. Period.

Posted by: bsdman | December 17, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Rexy will look like Vick on Sunday

Posted by: AllDCSports | December 17, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nuzuw
You are right, IF he was sober. I saw him many times in public and he was blasted. His brother used to drink with him and other 'Skins at a place in Fairfax City until one night when his brother stumbled into traffic and was killed.
PS: While Riggins is much bigger than I, I served in the military during the Viet Nam era and at least had some idea of self defense learned thru training in boot camp.

Posted by: TJDemo | December 17, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The majority of you posters don't have a clue, this is all about Mike Shannahan using McNabb as a scapegoat for the ineptitude of Kyle Shannahan,just for the record the O-line isn't any better than it was last year,the running back position has been in shambles for at least 3/4 years, wide receivers? a joke other than Santana Moss(who is undersized).The last time this team made any halftime adjustment was when? exactly, they haven't. Kyle Shannahan was handed the job as O-coordinator based on what? what are his credentials? McNabb can hang his hat on 5 NFC championship appearances as an Eagle, what can this Skins team hang it's hat on, even including the return of St.Joe Gibbs. Mike Shannahan is arrogant and a liar why else would you hire a D-Coordinator to change a top 10 defense to a scheme that your personel is not suited for and then that defense becomes the laughing stock of the league. Dan Synder is the real culprit in all of this bringing in a washed up Mike Shannahan, and again the Skins fan suffer. This franchise set Jason Campbell up for failure and thank God he's in Oakland where he has an O-coordinator that at least has JC's future in mind, in a way this is good for McNabb he need's to get the hell out and fast.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 17, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

From day one Shanahan has said that he doesn't care who the player is, if he's not performing he won't be playing. In the case of the QB situation here, that's a bit extreme perhaps, but so are all these calls that it's the end of McNabb in DC. It's one game for right now and as someone else posted, it's not unprecedented for 5.

Perhaps it seems to many as a slap in the face, but these are grown men and they know how things go. It's a business. Shanahan knows what he has in McNabb by this point of the season. They're not going to the playoffs, so he's going to see what Grossman and/or Beck have.

In the three remaining games, you are just not going to see a sudden change in McNabb - he's not suddenly going to "get" everything that Shanahan wanted him to do and become Superman. So sit him down, rest up his bones for a bit. If you ARE going to unload him, don't get him hurt.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | December 17, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

... the point of all this being: it's way too premature to say it's the end of McNabb. Trying to accurately predict what the Redskins are going to do is like going to a roulette table and saying, "Hm... totally random chance of hitting one of these 38 numbers... it's gotta be 12! I just know it!"

Posted by: fan-o-matic | December 17, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

For a refreshing change, Joe nailed it.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | December 17, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan bashers do not bash him because he is benching McNabb. We bash him because

1. He gave up a 2nd rd and 3/4rd pick to get McNabb in the first place and sell the fans on his being the superstar the team has always needed. (Andy Reid trades you a QB from within the same division-not hard to figure out that one)

2. Our defense is the worst in the league because of a switch in alignment (not even going to mention AH)

3. The failure of the organization to obtain a quality receiver in free agency

4. Do we have a young up and coming QB taking McNabb's place (See Kolb, Kevin at that time)? Nope it's none other than Rex Grossman.

5. Having free reign to finally begin a rebuild but letting ego get in the way (If we drafted a young QB and began a rebuild, the conversation now would be centered on the improvement of said player and team, instead a whole year of progress is seemingly wasted)

I blame the organization for this mess. They were the ones responsible for bringing D McNabb here in the first place. Let's not lose sight of that.

Posted by: dabwilldo40 | December 17, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

2 draft picks for this? As a life long fan and native Washingtonian, I'm sick of it!!!... I live overseas and have to get up in the middle of the night to watch the Skins lose, consistently...the Skins suck, Snyder needs to go and while I can't root for any other team, I will no longer support them until this culture of losing changes!!!

Posted by: NEDCnative27 | December 17, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

You guys are thick.

McNabb is NOT the answer. He's not the answer for the remainder of 2010. He's not the answer for 2011. He's not the answer for 2012.

That does NOT mean that Grossman is the answer. He isn't. But someone has to play the position, and Beck hasn't had the practice reps to start.

Newsflash -- this season is OVER. Starting Grossman has nothing to do with this winning this season. But NOT starting McNabb has everything to do with positioning the team to start winning next year and the year after that.

The acquisition of McNabb was a DISASTER. And the cutting of a credible back-up like Todd Collins was a mistake.

Now it is time to clean up the mess that was made bringing in McNabb. And that starts with sitting his butt on the bench.

Posted by: ooyah32 | December 17, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

To all those who are bashing Shanahan, if the ship hasn't been righted by the end of the 2012 season then I'll jump on the bashing bandwagon. However, Allen and Shanahan are trying to clean up a decade long mess and it isn't going to happen overnight and it won't come without their own mistakes along the road (McNabb). Hate was spot on. If you want this fixed overnight then you are absolutely no better than Danny boy has been for the past ten years. These guys need to get their system in place and rebuild. F@ck reloading, we've done that for a decade now.

Posted by: croftonpost | December 17, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

There's no way the team signed McNabb to that bazillion-dollar extension without Ego-han's opinion. This smacks of a major behind-the-scenes power struggle between Ego-Han and Bruce Allen or Ego-han and Little Danny or both.

Ego-han is doing almost as much to destroy the franchise as Vinny Cerrato did ... and that's saying a lot.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | December 18, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

You guys don't get it. Mcnabb was part of a win now logic that obviously isn't going to work. Shannahan saw this team and realized the obvious this team has no depth and no youth, which by the time it hits december the skins will always fall apart. I mean duh, is this not obvious to anyone else? So instead of win now Shannahan has decided to grow and develop young talent (honestly he should've done this from the beginning) which will start with a top round pick next year. And what he needs is Grossman or Beck to hold down the fort for six of seven games next year, till the new guy of the future is ready.

Mcnabb's contract makes the guy extremely tradable, I kind of figured all this would go down once I saw the contract. Mcnabb will be gone and will get a second or third for him easily, seeing how his contract is doable.

Last year's rookie quarterbacks sucked only Sam Bradford was a legit starting quarterback, all the other quarterbacks aren't. Period. So why draft a bust? Why not wait till you can get a quarterback that'll actually be good and fit the system? Pure stupidity. The same stupidity that has ruined this franchise to be honest.

There weren't any real free agents last year, the collective bargaining agreement, did you guys forget? All the talented players where restricted free agents and would cost us a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick. Not worth it for a wide receiver to be honest.

Shannahan is not destroying this franchise, this franchise has been destroyed since 2003, where have you been? Shannahan is rebuilding finally, and is going to build this franchise from the ground up, which means you have to make some tough decisions but in the end it will be worth it. And yes he is throwing this season to get a higher pick in the draft so he can get an Andrew Luck, Ryan Mallett or Cam Newton. And yes Grossman is not the answer, but neither is Mcnabb. Its time to destroy and rebuild. Its the only way to get true success in the end.

Posted by: culprit59 | December 18, 2010 4:16 AM | Report abuse

OMG, we have got to have some of the dumbest, if not THE dumbest fans in the league. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about the NFL could have seen this coming a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. McNabb's extension and the $ amount was a FARCE. The actual contract was for peanuts, and the HUGE portion it was tied to an option that the Skins hold and must act on right AFTER the NFL combine next spring! HELLOOOOOOOOOOO McNabb was NEVER going to see that money morons! Nor was there any chance he was going to be here next year unless he lit up the world in the second half of the season. He didnt do that, to say the least, and more accurately his play has been below average at best. His inability to hit wide open receivers with 6 yard passes is laughable. He throws every pass at the same speed, which is to say 100 miles an hour. Watch how many times he will throw a bullet on a screen pass only to have the pass bounce wildly off the hands of the running back. He has no touch at all on short passes, he never did in Philly and he doesnt still. He is a terrible west coast QB. Getting him was a mistake, but it was a gamble the skins took to see if he could be the man, or at least the man for 1-2 years. He is a total class act, but a washed up QB, and all this talk of disrespect and "how can they start Grossman" etc is just idiocy. Anyone watching the skins this year with an objective eye can see that McNabb looks terrible, has to be the worst short range passer in the league by far, and a huge reason we are atrocious on 3rd down efficiency. He hits more receivers in the feet than the he does the hands, always been that way. I wish him well but his time here was a failure.

Posted by: opticlguy | December 18, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

What's the big deal? This is football...a coach makes the decisions as to who is performing and who is not. It is obvious to everyone in football that McNabb is performing at a very poor level . Statistics don't lie. Nice guy, class guy but his days as a premier quarterback are way over. Let's look to the future and stop picking up retreads that are long past their prime.

Posted by: ferg2b | December 18, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Washed up? You must be thinking about Brett Farve. McNabb has 3 years left in the tank. But he needs a decent supporting cast.

One man does not make a team. Yes, quote his stats. Sure. Stats don't include dropped passes. Tom Brady misses open guys. But he has a supporting cast that makes plays.

We don't. Not since Snyder bought the team.

Put Donovan on a non-dysfunctional team and he'll be a solid QB. Remember the same banter about Campbell?

How's he doing in Oakland?

Washington is a hell hole. And you can't carry a team of average & unmotivated players on your back. No superstar could thrive here. We don't have an environment for that.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | December 18, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse