Posted at 10:48 AM ET, 01/12/2011

Antonio Cromartie says very bad things about Tom Brady

By Cindy Boren

Updated at 3:03 p.m.

Antonio Cromartie isn't stepping back from his comments about Tom Brady.

Saying "no reason to," Cromartie told reporters: "I hope he throws the ball 10 times my way."

Updated at 11:20 a.m.

There's good old-fashioned trash talking that leads to a stellar performance and a huge upset and then there's ill-advised trap-flapping, the kind that causes an opponent to leave the yapper in flames like a BMW in an Atlanta snowstorm.

newsbp.jpgWhich, after the New York Jets play the New England Patriots on Sunday night, will describe comments made by Antonio Cromartie about Tom Brady?

Cromartie, Jets cornerback, was asked what kind of guy the Patriots quarterback is and replied, "An a------...[bleep] him."

Cromartie, Rex Ryan and the rest of the Jets didn't care for the way Brady pointed to the Jets sideline after passing for a touchdown that gave the Patriots a 38-3 in their 45-3 beatdown of the Jets on Dec. 6. "That's what I think about him. I don't really give a damn about him," he said. "I don't have to play against him. I play against the receivers."

The danger is that Brady will, um, light him up. When he isn't taking in "Lombardi" on Broadway rather than watching the Jets' wild-card game, Brady, like the rest of his team, has been content to let Ryan and Bill Belichick do most of the talking. Even the rest of the Jets aren't buying into Cromartie's talk. "...If I beat the [stove-top stuffing] out of his receivers, he can't throw the ball," Cromartie said.

Brady's response? A verbal shrug.

"I've been called worse," Brady said today. "I'm sure there's a long list of people that feel that way but he's a good player, [Darrelle] Revis is a great player. They've got a great secondary. They're one of the best defenses we face. We're going to spend a lot of time preparing for them.

"What they're capable of doing over there, shutting down the Colts offense like they did was pretty impressive because we know how good that offense is, but we're going to get ready to play."

So far, Cromartie's comments aren't reflecting favorably on him. He and Ryan are leading a New York Daily News poll asking whether his description most aptly applies to him, Ryan, Brady or Belichick.

Matt Bowen: Cromartie had better have his "big boy" pads on

By Cindy Boren  | January 12, 2011; 10:48 AM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Denver Broncos turn coaching search into reality show
Next: Jets place Damien Woody on injured reserve with Achilles' injury

Comments

Brady's a jerk.

I don't like the Jets but I sure hope they play well enough to beat the Pats this weekend.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Brady's a jerk.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I gather you are not much of a football fan. For future reference, It's very easy to look up players and what position they play. He's a corner back, not a safety. Or you could use the broad term "Defensive Back."

Posted by: louis63 | January 12, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

She's an editor, not a sports writer, which is why I don't understand why people listen to her in the chat rooms & blog columns.

Posted by: wisdom80 | January 12, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Unless I'm missing something, Ms. Boren refers to Cromartie as a cornerback, not a safety. And if you don't think any one should listen to or read her comments in chat or on her blog posts, can I just point out that you do. Today, for example. If you don't like it, don't come here and be critical. Just another petty, angry message bored poster. There are way to many on this whole site who do nothing but spew negatives. Its pretty sad.

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 12, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wisdom80
----------------------------
Then what are you doing here, oh ye of low IQ?

The Jets, their fans and their coaches are all buffoons. Well, most of their fans. The kind of drivel one hears from players who have won something is bush league but from players who have not done feces, it is ridiculous. And very funny. I doubt the Pats are angry, more likely they are laughing at such foolishness.

Posted by: chopin224 | January 12, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Up until this point I did not dislike the Pats or like them, merely respected them as the good team they are but in light of all the attention sportwriters are paying to anyone who dares talk about them I say f brady, f bellicheck! No one should be in awe of them. What have they won lately? And yes, Brady does talk smack, we saw that a couple of years ago when he taunted the CB for the steelers. He has no more class than the Jets.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I love blogers who want to be editors. Who cares what she said. If you want perfect writing and editing go read a column by George Will. This is sports.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Brady is a spoiled superstar player that gets the Jordan treatment. Even Brady's taunts are seen as cool leadership. Sad how society loves its athletes more than real life heroes.

Posted by: jercha | January 12, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Taunt or talk smack/trash?

Everyone talks smack/trash during the game, but hey, I'd be pissed if I was Cormartie as well, Brady's ended 2 or 3 of my Super Bowl runs in the past.

The only thing that Brady doesn't do is talks trash outside the field, something that the Jets obviously love to do.

Anyone who thinks guys like Montana, Elway, Warner didnt talk trash during the game is obviously an idiot.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 12, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

If i'm A.C. i don't tug on superman's cape i just do my film study and pray that Brady is off his game(not likely)sunday look the way the Pat's beat the Jet's the last time they played i wouldn't say one word if i'm the Jet's.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 12, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I see Rex Ryan has one of his fathers traits. Stupidity.

That same stupidity seems, to be running ramped through the Jets locker room.

I don't like the Pats or Brady. But only a fool would pour gas on this fire.

The jets are going to get there a&&es handed to them Sunday. 45 to 9.

Posted by: Defund_NPR | January 12, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the avid football following writers of the washington post are quite biased against the Jets and their style of entertaining fans. Keep in mind their season started with a documented mini series which pumped up the heads of every player on the roster. However, it seems our sophisticated upper class tend to lean toward Brady and his flowing brown hair and subtle kind words. Bottom line is that this is a game played in the dirt. You get mean, you get angry, you practice day in and day out sweating and bleeding, you get emotional and you use the reporters that barge into your locker room or storm your presence, to your advantage. So if your a fan of football, deal with a little trash talking because it is part of the game. Columnists like Cindy Boren and Sally Jenkins seem very intelligent and well versed in the world of NFL Football however, such one-sided views bashing one team over another don't seem to reflect the views of every reader nor do they support the fact that, after all... It is just a game.

Posted by: Mannlax6 | January 16, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse