Posted at 11:39 AM ET, 01/24/2011

Bengals refuse to grant Carson Palmer's request for a trade

By Cindy Boren

The Cincinnati Bengals have answered quarterback Carson Palmer, who reportedly wants to be traded.

Bengals president Mike Brown confirmed Monday that Palmer requested a trade last week and added, "we are not trading Carson."

"He is key to our plans, he's central to us," Brown said, via Joe Reedy's Bengals blog. "He was told that and that we count on him going forward. He was told that we are not in a position to trade him."

Palmer, according to ESPN's report, is prepared to retire if his request for a trade is denied. He may just have to do that. Palmer, who's awaiting the birth of his third child, was unavailable for comment.

"We'll just have to see how it plays out," Brown said. "We'll reach out to him and understand the things that are in his craw. Maybe there are things we can do that will appeal to him. We'll try to and see whether we can get it fit back together again in the future."

Brown also added that the team is not hiring former Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress.

By Cindy Boren  | January 24, 2011; 11:39 AM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Jay Cutler has torn MCL
Next: Sidney Crosby will neither play in nor attend the NHL All-Star Game

Comments

I think the bigger story is that Cleveland is making personnel decisions for Cincinnati. ;-)

Posted by: freakzilla | January 24, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Ha! Typed Brown refuses, then reworked it and then ... chaos ...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | January 24, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Booooo, Cindy. You fixed the headline and now my comment looks stupid.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 24, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I actually fixed it the instant after I hit publish, then looked at your comment. I am truly sorry that this reflects poorly on you. :) You rule and I am saying that to everybody publicly here and now.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | January 24, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone stated definitively why Palmer wants a trade? My Spidey Sense says Palmer is tired of having to constantly appease a particular Dynamic Duo.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 24, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Awww. Thanks, Cindy. I'm puttin' that on my resume.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 24, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

To be fair, the whole Brown franchise/Brown family/Bengal franchise thing has always been a bit confusing to me. Setting aside the mystery of why Cincinnati has an NFL team.

When contraction time comes, maybe they can meet in the middle and become the Columbus Somethings. ("Browngals" being a non-starter, methinks.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 24, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla, you're probably right about the prima donna WRs as a recent irritant, but I think after eight years (if I have that right) he's probably sick and tired of playing for the Bengal Tigers.

And I'd imagine that's reciprocated to some extent by the fan base. But I dunno.

I don't want to see the Redskins trading for this dude, is what I'm trying to say here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 24, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Just take the letters from "Bengals" and "Browns" and turn them into an anagram.

I give you the Columbus Gnawn Slobbers.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 24, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Or ditch the Bengal moniker altogether and pander to the fan base of the most popular football team in the state by calling them the Ohio Browneyes.

I'll see myself out...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 24, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to know what the Browneyes' game-day giveaways are.

Posted by: catsrtasty | January 24, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse