Posted at 7:54 AM ET, 01/14/2011

Cam Newton decides to enter NFL Draft

By Cindy Boren

Cam Newton, the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback who led Auburn to the national championship, will enter the NFL Draft.

"This decision was difficult for me and my family," Newton said. "It's been a blessing for me to be a part of something so great. Any time you win games it's a big deal, but for this school to win a BCS national championship, what a way to make people happy. Auburn is a special place that I can call home."

In Newton's only season as a major college starter, Auburn went 14-0 and beat Oregon in the national championship game Monday night. Newton led Blinn College to a junior college national championship, too. Can he make the step to the NFL? Let the burgundy-and-gold conversation commence.

By Cindy Boren  | January 14, 2011; 7:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Patriots' Wes Welker toes the line in comments about Jets
Next: On paper, the Jets are a winner over the Patriots

Comments

Picking a first round quarterback that isn't the consensus #1 or #2 pick is always so risky. If only there was recent example of an Auburn quarterback from an undefeated team going in the first round of the draft to the Redskins—oh wait...

Posted by: dralison | January 14, 2011 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Gulp.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 14, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I must say, I believe Cam is making a bad decision; but i also don't believe he is making it On his own. Of course he is excited to go pro and make millions of dollars a year, but his main reason for going pro is his father/families influence over him. As we all know, Cameron is a very talenter young man. But just imagine how much more talented he could be

Posted by: Juvantemcm | January 14, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I must say, I believe Cam is making a bad decision; but i also don't believe he is making it On his own. Of course he is excited to go pro and make millions of dollars a year, but his main reason for going pro is his father/families influence over him. As we all know, Cameron is a very talented young man. But just imagine how much more talented he could be if he stuck around and learned more about the game. I am a true Auburn fan and I have been for many years. I just don't think Cameron realized what he is doing. He is making a very premature decision that may be based on nothing more than greed. Cam you are smarter than than, or at least I though you were. Patience is a virtue, my brother!

Just to clarify, I am not against Cameron's decision because he is leaving Auburn, but rather because he is leaving college football.

Posted by: Juvantemcm | January 14, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Cam Newton = Vince Young = Tim Tebow = Years of futility for whoever drafts him

Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 14, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Now that Auburn doesn't have to protect him, I'm curious to see what is uncovered. In fact, people from Auburn may be peeved and say too much, resulting in the vacating of the bowl game victory (I do not consider it a national championship if half the teams never have a chance of playing for it, even if they go undefeated) and his Heisman. Just sitting back and waiting. I'm guessing he'll go high second round once the character things start spilling out.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 14, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Cam Newton = Vince Young = Tim Tebow = Years of futility for whoever drafts him

Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 14, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

*******

At least Tebow shows that he actually cares about improving. No, I'm not a born again Christian Tebow apologist.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 14, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Kellen Moore is a better passer, and the option won't work for Newton in the NFL. Cam Newton certainly has a lot of potential, but his current style makes him a much riskier draft choice than others.

Posted by: diehardlib | January 14, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Wonder if this was the quid pro quo with the NCAA? We keep you eligible this season and you turn pro (officially) right afterwards.

Posted by: joecct77 | January 14, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

C. Newton=J. Russell=V. Young, big athletic, distracted, and don't fit well in NFL. I think Young may eventually if he gets his head on straight, but not Russell or Newton.

Posted by: crossroadsnow | January 14, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: crossroadsnow | January 14, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Funny how Mr. Heisman, Mr ESPN (although it criticized his NFL prospects) and Mr. BCS title holder who wasn't going to get the draft status as the RUNNER UP Luck decides to be even more selfish and leave Auburn proving to me he knew what daddy was doing. Funny I thought Cam was going back to Auburn UNTIL I heard Luck stayed at school then I knew. That's why all these guys are running to the NFL because the people expected to leave school decided an edu was more important. I feel so sorry for some of these dilusional athletes drinking too much of their I LUV ME Kool-Aid.

Sadly I think Cam's karma will catch up to him. Most polls don't think he will be successful at the next level if he stays a QB and that's not good. Funny someone posted he might rejoin Tebow as his BACK-UP hahaha or worse Luck drafts next yr higher and richer...OUCH!

Poor Auburn a tainted athlete, win and year. I hope it was worth it.....

Posted by: MDlady2 | January 14, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I certainly believe Cam knew. His father and his agent knew and he didn't? Odds are in my view that money changed hands. Incidentally, I believe college football players should be paid, so I can't entirely fault them, but I think it goes to character. JMO.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 14, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I am usually a Redskins fan, but they have done so much to shake my faith this year that I'm really not into them that much right now. Cam Newton is in a tough position. The NCAA and the colleges make millions off him and the rules say he and his family can't benefit because he's supposed to be a student/athlete. That rule is as hypocritical as the BCS system, but it is what it is. For his sake, I hope the Redskins do not get an opportunity to pick him. He's already gone through the meat grinder and coming here would just be more of that. The coaching staff will throw him under the bus if he does anything less than everything that they want. The fans will slam him and ridicule him if he doesn't win games. The defenses will be loading up to pound him because we may still have a porous offensive line. And worst of all, he may have to play clipboard holder to Rex Grossman because Rex has a firm grasp of the offense that the Shanahans run. At another time I would wish we could get him. This year, I pray that that doesn't happen to him.

Posted by: Carole5520 | January 14, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

what a surprise!

Posted by: surlydoc | January 14, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dralison | January 14, 2011 8:26 AM | Report abuse

picking a qb in any spot in the first couple rounds is always risky dude!

Posted by: deadskin | January 14, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse