Posted at 10:22 AM ET, 01/ 7/2011

Jason Campbell: 'I was the scapegoat' in Washington and 'it really stung'

By Cindy Boren

His Oakland Raiders team, at times with him and without him, went 8-8 ... two games better than his former team, the Washington Redskins. That fact wasn't lost on quarterback Jason Campbell. In an interview with Jamie Mottram of Mister Irrelevant, Campbell was asked if he thought he was treated fairly in Washington, talked about Donovan McNabb's struggles and, in the eternal battle of In-and-Out vs. Five Guys, says issue with the people who say "a burger is just a burger."

A couple of quick hits. Mottram asked Campbell if he got a fair shake in Washington.

Campell: No, I don't. Just because the fact that last season I put up really good numbers, and my star running back was out. Clinton Portis was out for most of the season. Then Ladell Betts came in and got hurt. We lost Chris Samuels. We lost our right guard and our right tackle.
So you're still out there fighting hard in every game ... (something I didn't pick up) ... and there were a lot of close games we should've won.
The fact that I was the scapegoat for all of that, it really stung a little bit. It was tough.

On the difference between the Raiders and Redskins:

The biggest difference is the hunger the guys [in Oakland] had this year.

By Cindy Boren  | January 7, 2011; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Harbaugh's top options San Francisco 49ers, Stanford
Next: Jim Harbaugh to coach San Francisco 49ers

Comments

Now if only we could get Steinberg to admit he was wrong about Campbell.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 7, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"Scapegoat" implies that he was singled out as the reason why the Redskins have sucked during the time he was with the team. I don't think that is the case. His suckiness was lumped in the larger suckiness pile with the rest of the team. I think most fans liked Jason Campbell. But he, like the rest of the team didn't not meet the challenge. Yes, it "stings" to be told you are part of the problem. But to be a scapegoat would mean that people felt he was THE problem..which is not the case..not by a long stretch.

Posted by: mmcghee701 | January 7, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

And BTW, the comment about hunger..wasn't that always the question about Campbell here. That he never, never, ever showed passion. Wasn't Campbell who said that he didn't feel you had to be vocal to be a team leader? In the time he was here I don't recall him ever doing a Tom Brady-like rant on a sideline at his team mates. "Hunger" is never a term I would use for Jason Campbell.

Posted by: mmcghee701 | January 7, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Snyder/Cerrato certainly seemed to have it in for Campbell by Zorn's 2nd year. First they went hard after Cutler, then they went hard after Sanchez.

I think Snyder's feelings on Campbell were readily apparent, and probably not lost on Shanahan. I can imagine a job interview where Shanahan agreed with Snyder that his first course of action would be to seek a big name franchise QB not named Campbell.

Campbell played under adversity exactly as he described, losing key pieces of his offense, but I'm sure he will be harshly criticized in some quarters for saying so.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 7, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I'd use the word "edge." You never got that from him. Hugely likeable, God knows he is indestructible physically, but I kept waiting for him to show some fire.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 7, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Jason you've or to be kidding me! No the team you played for sucked and because you are average at best it compounded the problem. You not only lost your starting job but you would've never been playing had gradkowski not gotten hurt. And to say the raiders played with hunger when that's the trait we redskins fan always complained that you, the leader of the team, never ever displayed! Dude please!!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | January 7, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is like Grossman, a guy whose career in the NFL will be made as a backup and spot starter.

He is not the future in Oakland, at least not if the team is serious about resurrecting itself to contender status.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | January 7, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Campbell got scapegoated just like McNabb is being scapegoated now. Until this offensive line gets better, it won't matter who you put under center, they will not be successful and neither will this team. Campbell isn't great, but he could get the job done with the right weapons and of course, protection.

Posted by: poeticfire | January 7, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

True, Jason had to endure a lot of unfair criticism when he was with the Skins, but he wasn't singled out and made out to be the "scapegoat." After all if he was made out to be the scapegoat, why would Zorn have been fired?

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | January 7, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Campbell was the scapegoat last year. It's not even a question. He played for an injury-riddled, talent-depleted offense that was being coached by arguably one of the worst 5 head coaches/offensive coordinators in memory. Now that Campbell has a smattering of talent around him with an innovative coordinator, his offense put up the 4th most points in the NFL.

McNabb is not a scapegoat, however. McNabb had every opportunity to succeed here in this system; he simply couldn't. When Rex Grossman steps in and unequivocally outplays you, then you don't have a leg to stand on.

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Stop whining JC. Don't you get it? You were the reason we lost the close games, either with an interception, an overthrown or underthrown pass, and the most egregious of all was your inability to readjust your throws with a defender trying to bat your pass. You would still throw even though the guy is in your face and jumping in the air. Glad you're gone.

Posted by: renegade2 | January 7, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Please people... In addition to his lack of "fire" or "passion" could also couldn't stop complaining about his tendency to always "check down" and go for the short completion.

While he's not a great QB, only average, he certainly was scapegoated here.

Posted by: CapsNut | January 7, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Jason was not THE person that was "scapegoated" for the Redskins miserable season(s). I have really not heard much talk that Cambell was the problem here after he left. Everyone knows that the Cerroto/Snyder combination and the hiring of Jim Zorn as head coach was THE reason for the Redskins' problems.
Jason, you disappoint me. You sound like a whiner with this comment.

Posted by: bringbackimus | January 7, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Stop whining Jason. True, you may have been made out to be the scapegoat, but baby when you play the QB position in football that just goes with the territory. A U.S. president has to assume responsibility and endure daily criticism for the country's problems even he they may be no fault of his. For the last two years, Obama has had to endure constant criticism and blame for the current state of the U.S. economy, even though it was a dilemma he inherited and didn't create. And his annual salary here in Washington is peanuts compared to the one you made while you were here in D.C. Who ever told you that life is fair?

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | January 7, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

renegade2 said:
"Stop whining JC. Don't you get it? You were the reason we lost the close games..."

This year, we lost 6 games by 4 points or less. Who can we scapegoat now?

Posted by: Alan4 | January 7, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

PEOPLE,
To say Snyder was not a supporter of Jason Campbell, is crazy, snyder wouldn't know NOT know a good football player if he hit Snyder in the head and for that matter Snyder wouldn't know a great Coach (firing Norv after the team was winning, and lost in the 2nd rd of playoffs vs. TB the previous year - PLUS, Novr has the ONLY winning record under Snyder's watch)....or a GREAT GM if they all hit Snyder in the head!
Jason Campbell was NOT the problem, the problem was everythign else, the NON consistant ownership moves, al lthe "herky Jerk" stuff that Snyders thinks, jsut becasue he has money, he knows Football -- we as Redskins Fans, with history with this team, we know wahta GREAT Owner does, we lived through Jack Kent Cooke and Bobby Beathard, Charley Casserly, Joe Gibbs #1 -- PEOPLE, That crew I just named, that is the ONLY crew in the HISTORY of the NFL to win Super Bowls with Different QB's, with Different RB's, Different WR's - PEOPLE look at all the 4 time winning Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers, Patriots today, those teams were/are winning with the same QB, at least - much easier to do in the NFL - NOW make those teams work with Different QB's, Different RB's and Different WR's, I GUARENTEE those teams DON'T win the Multiple SB's that they won!

My 14yr old son never lived through those Redskin Teams of the past, he only knows LOSING - any I don't know, if I woned the team, I surewould get in there and say "HEck, I ran Billon $ companies, how hard is it to ru na NFL Football team - duh!" Well, unfortunately that is what we have, and I honestly believe it will be a long time (and I hope and pray I am wrong in this) before our Redskins wil lwin anything again....I belive we are too damaged right now to get out of our own way - it has been what 10/11yrs of this type of stuff rom the Owner Snyder, yea, maybe now he will get it right, but we still ahve to flush through the lost picks, the lost players who we spent MILLIONs on that never panned out! Does anyone honestly belive Ablet Hanyesworth could be or EVER was a REGGIE WHITE - Hell NO! AH was never built to do what Regggie White did, Reggie played with passion and played hard everday, AH only played hard for the money, which Snyder gave him - DUMB move Albert EinSnyder!

I hate t osay, JAson Campbell is better offtoday than he ever was with the Redskins, he brought the Raiders back i nthe clsoing minutes t owin a few games, he stuck with it...HECK, I belive what happened to McNabb has completly LEGITIMIZED what Jason Campbell did, isn't McNAbb supposedly a Hall of Famer - and look what he did with probably a better cast around him thatn what Jason had!! Enough Said, it starts and ends at the owner, NO one trusts him, no one will run through brick walls for him, no one will jump into a fire for SNYDER, me included, he is a waste and he has damn near killed the beloved Redskins I grew up loving and still love today becasue I do have the memories of all those great teams and player!

Posted by: talbottj | January 7, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@talbottj: I think your cat ran across your keyboard and posted something in your name on this chatboard.

Posted by: FireBradleynow | January 7, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmcghee701 | January 7, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

No offense, but you must be new to the WaPo message boards. The previous 3 or so years, there has been a constant, nonstop, scapegoating of Jason Campbell by countless dimwits on the Redskins Insider and DC Sports Bog. We were always told that if we had a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady with the very same Redskins team, we'd be a contender. THAT, by definition, is scapegoating Campbell.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 7, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Does anyone honestly belive Ablet Hanyesworth could be or EVER was a REGGIE WHITE - Hell NO! AH was never built to do what Regggie White did, Reggie played with passion and played hard everday, AH only played hard for the money, which Snyder gave him - DUMB move Albert EinSnyder!"
___________________________________________

You even admit yourself that the Haynesworth bust was Synder's fault. I mean, would you play with passion and play hard everyday after some fool deposited $21 million into your bank account?

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | January 7, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talbottj | January 7, 2011 12:21 PM

That damn near was flawless. Only thing I would give Snyder credit and grief for is the constant change. Owners who spend money foolishly lose. Owners that don't spend money lose. There has to be a balance, and the discovery of an identity. The steelers are a grind it out hard nose football team across the board. The patriots are a very maticulous football team. The colts are a air it out Payton Manning running the show machine, but what is the skins identity? we need to have an identity. that will determine who you draft. It will determine the free agents that you bring in, and will help you be consistent. I beleive winning ball games allows an owner to take his hands off the team. But it's the putting your hands in on the team decisions until you start the winning that is the problem. Shanny like to run the ball, his son likes to pass the ball already we have a problem. Is the line that they develop going to be a predominant pass or run blocking line? Are we going to be hard nose not a nother yard on defense or are we gambling for turnovers high risk high reward defense? We still don't know and that what bothers me.

Posted by: Hackersk | January 7, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Jason, you are a really, really good backup quarterback. Or a so-so, starting one. Clinton has lost a step, true, but that didn't affect your skills. The loss of Chris Samuels may have. That I will give you.

Zorn was not a great head coach either. He may be the best quarterback coach in the game, but as a head coach he was wishy-washy. Shanahan, despite the mistakes he has made, gives the players a vision, a goal, and the "hunger" you speak of.

And, speaking of hunger, Five Guys is the clear winner in the burger war. Although In-and-Out makes a great burger, Five Guys is better.

Football is a business. Don't think so? Ask Ralph Friedgen. Jason's numbers never added up. True the OL could have been better......al la Archie Manning. But the true is you didn't show the flashes of genius that a great QB needs and your most valuable asset is your arm, not your head in the game.

Posted by: steven09 | January 7, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

21 million in my bank account? Yeah, I'd play my guts out. Why the hell wouldn't you? To keep it relative, these guys all make millions of dollars. So you tell me if your boss gives you, say, $400,000 a year ( I'm assuming is a huge, huge raise for you..) you'd not go to work and get fired? WTF?? I'd be so thankful I never had to worry about finances again ( or my family..) that I'd play like a wildman and try to make the HOF.
As far as Campbell goes, he was an average QB on a bad team with us. Now he's an average QB on an average team with Oakland. He'll be a career backup....

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 7, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah..I think Jason got ripped off, but to say the difference between the Raiders and Redskin's was the hunger the Raiders players had is stupid. Hey Jason...they only won 2 more games...that's not hunger. We could have gotten lucky and had the same record. As long as Snyder is owner, this team is doomed. I just hope I'm alive long enough to see the return of the team the Skin's USED to be.

Posted by: Stolynn | January 7, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Nothing against Donovan, but it really hurt to see Jason leave. If he were with the right team, he could be Hall of Fame eventually.

That is if all of the offensive schemes and coaching changes haven't ruined him.

Best wishes Jason!

Posted by: TomGarth | January 7, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

psps23......I don't see any better from Grossman. He throws to many interceptions. He doesn't impress me any more than Jason. He's no Montana, Elway, Brady, Peyton or even Flacco.

The young guy at Stanford impresses. So does Danny O'Brien.

Posted by: steven09 | January 7, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Remember when Redskins fans, when comforting themselves after another wasted season, could always say, 'Well, at least we're not the Raiders.' I guess the script has been flipped, with Raiders fans saying, 'We may have the looniest owner in the league, but at least we're not the Redskins.' Thanks Mr. Snyder!

Posted by: rodeorob | January 7, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Now Campbell is HOF material???? Wow....what's in your egg nog??

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 7, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is a mediocre quarterback who needs the stars and planets in alignment to succeed.

If he were on the 91' Redskins, he'd probably be good.

He should shut his lips though!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 7, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Jason, you're better off with the Raiders. Godspeed!

Posted by: katedog | January 7, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

In Campbell's years here, can someone tell me how many different Offensive Coordinators and QB coaches Campbell had? In other words, how many differenct schemes did he have to learn?

Am I correct that he also had four different OCs at Auburn? He may have another different offensive plan next year, now that the Raider HC has been dumped.

Outside of truely gifted QBs, how realistic is it to expect a pro QB to excell and lead when he is mastering yet another offense nearly every year?

I hope someone provides the specifics, which I cannot recall. I wonder what role constantly changing new offensive schemes played in keeping him from becoming a better QB?

Alternatively, has/will Campbell always been/going to be a grade b-/c- QB, regardless of whether he had stayed with one scheme his entire pro career (stable franchise, whether starting or not) versus constantly having new OCs and HCs teaching new and different offense/passing schemes?

Posted by: wevans3 | January 7, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell stats speaks for it self ! he's only "GOING TO GET BETTER" with Oakland due to he has 2 young pro-bowl material running backs,a much younger & better O-line, A very young an getting better by the game Defense. An "PLEASE" lets not talk about special teams or punter & place kicker. P.S. also, one helva offenses mind play calling "COACH" in Hue "Soon to be Head Coach" Jackson !!

Posted by: Raidersfan2 | January 7, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Very true that JC is an avg QB...but that hasn't stopped avg QB's from winning SuperBowls and playoff games before (see Rypien, Mark or Brunell, Mark). The issue at heart is the general manager, player personnel director, and owner invested a decade's worth of money in avg-to-crappy players and coaches....which leads to an avg-to-crappy team for so long. Let's face it, these guys and this organization hasn't done jack to earn fan allegiance since 1993. 18 yrs of avg-to-crappiness and we still pay some of the highest ticket and parking prices in the NFL. We know what's wrong w/ them...what's wrong w/ us?!?

Posted by: poster18 | January 7, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Hunger" is never a term I would use for Jason Campbell.

Posted by: mmcghee701 |

Now if only your opinion of him actually mattered.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 7, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lwilliamson1 |

YOU ARE WAY OVER THE TOP!!! We are talking about a QB speaking on how he was treated as a player by management and fans while playing sports. He was not talking about how he is treated in life by society. I am sure he appreciates his existence as much as you do yours. You need to stop whining yourself.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 7, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is a mediocre quarterback. He proved it multiple years in Washington and he proved it again this year in Oakland. You don't win with mediocre QB's.

Posted by: Rational_Man | January 7, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes indeed. McNabb took your place Campbell as the scapegoat and the next quarterback to take McNabb's place won't last half a season behind that line. It's funny how bad they trashed the Zorn's Redskins offense for losing games. Look at Haslet's defense they are worse than the offense now. Raiders used to be the laughing stock of the NFL now the Washington Sport Franchises are. Washington teams are always heading to the lottery year after year. While they're previous players are constantly moving on to better success.

Posted by: bonggong | January 7, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to allow Jason Cambell a little bitterness and attendant hyperbole here. Scapegoat, though? Well, hardly. The Redskins haven't truly had a contending team since Gibbs left in '92. (Funny, isn't it, that after all the game-passed-him-by stuff we heard about Joe II, two of the Skins' three playoff teams since '92 have been his?) Campbell was never given a fair shot here. Although some moments might Make One Wonder (the best thing that happened to the Skins in 2007, in purely objective terms, was Campbell's season-ending injury), he had an inordinate load placed on his shoulders by coaches that made him adapt to new systems each year, with a carousel of offensive linemen and receivers. The Great Quarterbacks tend to have - isn't this a funny coincidence? - a consistent cast of supporting characters. Even Brady - who are his receivers this week? - has consistently had maybe the game's best O-line and a strong defense and accurate kicking on his side. Not to mention a genius coach - he says so himself! - who builds the offense to suit Brady. And even this year, he has two blossoming tight ends and Welker.

Jason Cambpell didn't succeed here for one simple reason: his teams didn't.

Posted by: poorskins | January 7, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Scapegoat??? Really!! Give us a break Campbell, you were and still a total failure but while in Washington you were not a scapegoat, the rest of the team was the scapegoat for all your failures- Don’t you remember? It was the OL for you getting sack after one half hour of looking for open receivers running wild all over the field that your myopia (see I am excusing you again) didn’t allow you to see. Dont’ you remember? It was the coaches, the hall-of-fame coach, the special QB coach, the talented and well known OCs brought in to help you that failed, it wasn’t you. Don’t you remember? Don’t you remember? It was the receivers faults for all your interceptions. Don’t you remember? It was the fact that you had only six years to learn a professional game and that was too short of a time.
Come on Campbell, you know better, the Washington fans had scapegoats, but you weren’t one of them no matter how much you failed.

Posted by: hock1 | January 7, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I here a lot crap on here about Jason Campbell. I am going to stand up for him. I have been a redskin fan all my life born and raised in DC. I just moved to Sacramento for my job in Novemvber. I watch the Raiders. Since it did not make any sense to get DirectTV with the season near the end. He is right though. Both teams seem to have a curse (owner) or something. The raiders are far more intense when playing. The Skins always fall apart at the end. The raiders are always in the game. It is just intensity and not talent. What did Tryon say yesterday? You all can keep defending our team but the rest of the world doesn't see that way. Oh by the way anybody has anything to say negative to me is just a hater and you can kiss my **s. Other than that have a nice day.

Posted by: ksykes3 | January 7, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh by the way Oakland has two deep threats as well as on ok Tight End. Oakland also has a good running back as well. Everybody gets hurt. AFC West sucks compared to the NFC East. JC is good out here in the West. The teams are very similar. JC is good here though. I saw 6 sack and at least one INT returned for a touchdown against KC last week. The D in Oakland is carrying the team. Redskins are good on D but they do not have that.

Posted by: ksykes3 | January 7, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hell yeah the guy was a scapegoat!

I'm glad that he has landed somewhere he can do well.

Posted by: priceisright | January 7, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Campbell needs a real uptempo system to be effective. Gibbs did this for a couple of games in '08 and Campbell was brilliant. I kept waiting for Saunders or Zorn to go to the no- huddle, give Campbell some simple sets and let his athleticism do the rest.

Problem is the typical NFL offensive coordinator is a control freak that only lets a Bret Favre or Payton Manning call his own plays. Add to this the changing of personnel between downs and the various signals sent in from the sideline then then endless checking down and the ball isn't snapped until the is 0.5 seconds on the play clock. This kind of set- piece quarterbacking isn't Campbell's forte.

One of these days some bright coach is going to tell Campbell to run the 2 minute drill all the time and let him call his own plays. Campbell will take that team to the Superbowl.

He's got a great arm, he's tough, he can run and has great natural football rhythm. He just needs the right system.

Posted by: stev2008 | January 7, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

To mmcghee701:

You confuse the words "hunger" with "passion."

Get a dictionary and read it. There is a difference between the two words. You obviously don't understand the distinction AND missed the point of Jason Campbell's quote entirely.

Posted by: twilson66 | January 7, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell was talented but SOFT! He never displayed true leadership and lost the respect of his team by letting Snyder and Co. slap him around repeatedly. They went after Cutler and Sanchez right in front of his face while he did nothing but have an "aw shucks" attitude. Campbell needed to grow a pair and stand up for himself.

Posted by: vcmd1verizonnet | January 7, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

With Jason Campbell-4 wins. 1st year without him, 6 wins. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: danjuno | January 7, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey ksykes3......I'm in Sacramento too and a 30 year Skins fan. Come to Players sports bar on Sunrise and watch our games on Sunday. Don't get stuck watching the Raiders!! Players is great, with good food and super waitresses...one even dropped her top last year!! And they were nice!!!!
See you in Sept...

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 7, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

See you in Sept...

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 7, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

See you in Sept...

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 7, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Campbell was right, he and many other players have been and are scapegoats for an organization that has sucked for 25 years. Wake up, it's no longer the 80's, the Redskins are just plain sorry. It's 2010 and the Redskins fan base that thinks this organization is good is living in the 80's. It's just been wishful thinking every year for about 25 years. Time flies people, and the 80's are long gone.

Posted by: Theone9 | January 7, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

That's intereting Redskin apologists. Campbell is on par w/Grossman...Haynesworth is a bust and McNabb is overrated. WOW! You guys are that stupid? Grossman is horrible. He gives up two TDs before he gets one. Campbell did very well in Al Davis Land. That's Big. Like McNabb, he never said anything while he was here. A gentlement and a professional throughout. Haynesworth will always require a double team. Teams were happy Shanahan wanted to play Sheriff and bench his most dominating player. For you Redskin historians, you obviously forgot the training regimens of Slinging Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgensen, the Over Hill Gang and Hogs' Tool Shed. Since when does a 300+ lb D Lineman need to run 300 yards? Is he going to the Olympics? What's he going to do, carry the torch into the stadium and light the fire? And as for McNabb, are you going to sit here and tell me Kyle Shanahan's playbook is more complicated that Andy Reid's? Remember, Bill Walsh begat Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden and countless others who've achieved success. Mike begat Kyle. That's it. Before Denver, Mike's claim to fame was being the only coach to rile Art Shell up enough when they were coaches in Oakland that Shell almost whipped his ass for getting mouthy. Can you see that picture in your mind? Ugly, isn't it? Shanahan is a joke. His excuses about benching McNabb were ridiculous. His posturing w/Haynesworth is childish, at best. Imagine if Phil Jackson had taken that tack with Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman or Ron Artest. Players are not robots. The days of blind obedience are over. Especially obedience to losers like the Shanahans.

Posted by: ktaylor15 | January 7, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Riggo2 I will be there. I work in roseville off Douglass near a sunrise avenue. Is that the sunrise you speak of?

Posted by: ksykes3 | January 7, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ksykes3 | January 7, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling Jason Campbell may end up a pretty good quarterback after another year or two. He started fantastic for the Redskins, but the writing was already on the wall. The offensive line was deteriorating and Snyder was investing in players that had no character and were on their last leg, paying them a ton of money which brought down the cohesiveness and morale of the rest of the team. When that happens, you get sulkers and narcissists and everyone loses interest for anything but the salary. The thing about Jason is he has incredible character and work ethic. I'm betting he's already trying to understand his weaknesses and will fix them. I'm hoping to see him become a great quarterback.

Posted by: Playitagainsam | January 7, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins stuck with Campbell much too long. It was always about not hurting Jason's confidence so he could develop. The only ray of light I can recall was when Todd Collins came in for him and they went on a winning streak. Collins showed Campbell how to win with a bad offensive line. Then a decision was made to go back to Campbell so his confidence wouldn't get hurt and because he was the future and they went back to his roll as looser with "good numbers" - read meaningless completions.

Posted by: mhenrikse | January 7, 2011 6:41 PM | Report abuse

How about some raw truth here?

Sorry, Jason, you weren't the R1 QB Washington hoped for when they gave up picks to trade up and select you.

Campbell defines the "serviceable" QB and has failed to make the leap to elite QB.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | January 7, 2011 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow, never really pegged Campbell as a narcissist, but I guess it goes with the territory of playing a (really pretty stupid) game for a living.

I think he was waaaaay down the scapegoat line, far too many ahead of him to mention.

Posted by: soloman5000 | January 7, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Campbell stinks. Yes there are TONS of problems in the Redskins organization, but that doesn't make him a good quarterback. This year he had a better line, better running game, better receivers, and just about the same season he's always had. His season with Oakland was a microcosm of all of his seasons; an absolutely miserable game followed by an adequate performance. At no point did Campbell "win" any games, those few he was responsible for (five?) were game management wins, 185 yards passing and no touchdowns in the air. Heck, I'd take Beck before asking for Cambell back.

Posted by: tkoho | January 8, 2011 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Good lord, some of you spew the same s*** out of your mouths now that you used to when Campbell was actually here.

Believe it or not, Oakland has a worse (by FAR) receiving corp than Washington and a comparable offensive line. Their RB situation is leaps and bounds ahead of Washington, but that's it. The fact that any of you morons think Zach Miller, Jacoby Ford (who is an impressive gadget player/return man, not unlike Brandon Banks), Chaz Schillens, Derrius Heyward-Bey, and whatever other junk they have at WR are "more talented" than Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Anthony Armstrong, and Brandon Banks shows that your bias against Campbell (and the Redskins in general) is woefully deluded. Only one player over there - Ford - would even see time on the field in DC.

Yes McFadden and Bush trump anything the Redskins have in the backfield, but Oakland's offensive line is far, far worse than Washington's in pass-protection. Oakland gave up 44 sacks in 491 pass attempts. Washington gave up 46 sacks in 605 pass attempts. The sacks per dropback are atrocious in Oakland as compared to DC and the rest of the league. And it doesn't (and hasn't) made a difference which QB was back there in Oakland. Gradkowski, Boller, Campbell all had the same rates of sacks, as did every QB in prior years with this line. Their pass-protection is awful. Significantly worse than our line.

Yet despite their poor situation at WR and O-line, Campbell led their offense to being 4th in the NFL in scoring. He had a better QB rating than the invulnerable Donovan McNabb, despite playing behind a worse line in pass-protection and playing with worse, less experienced WRs. Both were in brand new systems, and both had innovative coaching staffs running their offenses, so that dog won't hunt in favor of McNabb there.

Yet, despite all that, you still have idiots posting things like this:

"With Jason Campbell-4 wins. 1st year without him, 6 wins. 'Nuff said."

Sometimes, logic like that makes me embarrassed to be a Redskins fan. And some of you are trying to say Campbell wasn't a scapegoat here...

Posted by: psps23 | January 8, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmcghee701 | January 7, 2011 10:59 AM |

*******************************

Wrong.

Remember when we got McNabb? Remember how we were instantly going to compete for the division? Remember when it was going to be Sanchez? Remember Jay Cutler?

If only the owner had a boner for O Linemen like he does QBs, we'd be pretty dang good by now.

Hey, "owner had a boner." I'm a poet and didn't know it!

Posted by: Thinker_ | January 10, 2011 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Let me explain the difference between Oakland's "hunger" and DC's "hunger":

Darren McFadden vs Clinton Portis

Richard Seymour vs Albert Haynesworth

Nnamdi Asomugha vs DeAngelo Hall

TJ Ford vs Santana Moss

Oakland's core talent is dedicated, willing to lay it on the line to make something happen. In other words, they've got Pride, I would call it, more than Hunger.

You wont find McFadden nursing a concussion for 9 weeks because his team isn't very good. You wont see TJ Ford, a rookie, watch a ball sail into a defender's hands and hope somebody else makes the tackle.

DeAngelo Hall is more interested in making the Pro Bowl than winning a Super Bowl. Asomugha has been to plenty of Pro Bowls. He wants to win games.

There's just a difference in personnel. We're getting there, to be honest. The more young, hungry guys we get to replace older, complacent guys, the better we'll be.

Jason is not a Hunger guy himself. On a good team, he shouldn't have to be. You'd take a robotic, medium, QB if you have a vicious O Line and a maniac workhorse who loves to pound LBs and Safeties at RB.

But, when you are starting Quenton Ganther at RB, Fred Davis is your best receiver, your O Line is the worst in the league, and your head coach is actually below your prima dona RB (the one standing on the sideline smiling through a 5 game losing streak), and a bingo caller is calling the pass plays and the RB coach is calling the run plays... well, good luck to ya.

You just don't want to be the punter on take two of the swinging gate on Monday Night Football. If you ask many of the genius expert fans, they'd probably say it was Hunter the Punter's fault for "holding the ball too long."

PS - Rex did his Campbell impersonation vs Osi, too, didn't he? Get used to it. Believe it or not, it was one of his better career games. That guy will make you wish you had Campbell back, for sure. Prepare to dread Sundays. Rex the hex in effect! You can run and tell THAT, homeboy!

Posted by: Thinker_ | January 10, 2011 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Well, TJ Ford is pretty good, too.

Posted by: Thinker_ | January 10, 2011 4:03 AM | Report abuse

psps23...

I'll agree with you about Oakland's line in pass pro to start the year off, was THE worst in the league. By far.

But, they got better. I'd say by year's end, they were as good or better than Rex's. Minor point.

Cable got fired, basically for benching the only QB with a winning record on the team (Campbell), Oakland went 6-0 in their division, and they beat the stuffing out of the Kansas City Quiffs to end the year.

Campbell also led the Raiders to their first 3 game win streak in 8 years. He's not that bad. Especially with a run game, full grown receivers, and a real offense to run.

Funny, they play on the West Coast, but you don't see them running West Coast Offense for Dummies like Dim Zorn was. Nothing makes me happier than a pound your face in running game and passes that get your safety moving backwards.

Anything else is loser football. This year, in the Super Bowl, it will be no different. Run the ball, throw the ball far. Defense, stop the run, have a great pair of safeties. Champs.

Posted by: Thinker_ | January 10, 2011 4:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm reading some of these posts and I'm wondering; what team were some of you people watching? You spend $100 million on ONE guy and don't address the O-line? There were several games (last year AND this year) that the DEFENSE lost. Leads going into the 4th quarter and the D collapses. Offense can't run the football to burn up clock. Campbell WAS a scapegoat. Just like McNabb. Put Brady back there and you'll get the same result. Unless we get a QB who can scramble (most times for his life) (if we don't upgrade the O-line) and make plays, we'll get the same results. Until we get guys on D who can actually TACKLE and CATCH the ball when it's thrown to them; same result. Until we get guys on O who can catch the ball when it's thrown to them; same result.....We ran Brad Johnson out of town and how'd that work out. He got a ring. We ran Ryan Clark out of town and brought in Adam (who?) Archuleta. How'd that work out? He got a ring. What's old, is new again......same results.......

Posted by: amontgomery1 | January 11, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse