Posted at 4:26 PM ET, 01/13/2011

John Fox might be eyeing Redskins special teams coach Danny Smith

By Cindy Boren

Now that John Fox has been hired to coach the Denver Broncos, might he make a hire from Ashburn, Va.?

"Two strong possibilities to join John Fox's staff - Jim Mora as defensive coordinator and Danny Smith (Redskins) as special teams coach," Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network tweets. "Mora has head coaching experience and Fox has recently been in contact with him. Fox wanted to hire Smith last year and Skins blocked it. But Smith did not sign an extension with the Skins and would be a free agent. Would be the makings of a strong staff."

Smith has been the Redskins' special teams coach since 2004 and one prized player, Brandon Banks, weighed in on the report.

If I lose Danny smith as my special coach I'm gonna go crazy and that's a fact!!!!!less than a minute ago via Twitter for iPhone

By Cindy Boren  | January 13, 2011; 4:26 PM ET
Categories:  NFL, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Fox reaches agreement to become Denver Broncos' head coach
Next: Patriots' Wes Welker toes the line in comments about Jets

Comments

Somehow... I think a lot of fans will say "Good Riddance!"

Posted by: tony325 | January 13, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's see... a kicker that can't kick, a holder that couldn't, and years of Randle-el. Have fun with the snow shovel!

Posted by: HeavyGEE | January 13, 2011 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I have never understood the hype around Danny Smith. The Redskins special teams have been perpetually awful for the past 5 years. Terrible punting/kicking, terrible holding, average coverage.

I do have to say though, that our coverage and return units were good this year, although that was almost entirely centered around Lorenzo Alexander and Brandon Banks.

Posted by: WhoSays | January 13, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Take my special teams coach... please!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 13, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"Somehow... I think a lot of fans will say "Good Riddance!"

Good riddance.

Sorry, but he's the last link to many bad Skins teams and his ST really sucked save Banks.

Never been impressed with the guy, I thought he would have been out the door even if he was under contract here.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 13, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Hope they got plenty of bubble gum in Denver

Posted by: rickyroge | January 13, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

He is not a great coach but has more fire than anyone else.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Wayne Sievere. If you dont have the talent you dont have good special teams. Duh!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 13, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong but we didn't have our ST let up for a TD on kicks all year, did we?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 14, 2011 5:59 AM | Report abuse