Posted at 6:26 PM ET, 01/17/2011

John Harbaugh: 'We'll take over Washington D.C.'

By Cindy Boren

harbaugh1.jpg
John Harbaugh's wardrobe is a clear indication of his plan for global domination. (Doug Kapustin / Baltimore Sun

Not to be overly alarmist, but John Harbaugh may be planning an invasion of Washington D.C.

Maybe it was some combination of the end of his team's playoff run and the possibility of a nice fat contract extension from the Baltimore Ravens that got Harbaugh talking about Ravensland's annexation of Redskins Country. He was asked Monday about that extension and, John Eisenberg of csnbaltimore.com told Rich Tandler, "he kind of got into his Buzz Lightyear 'to infinity and beyond' mode."

"I'm looking forward to a lot of things in the offseason I'm excited about being here. I really am grateful and appreciative to be the head coach of the Baltimore Ravens; to be associated with Baltimore football. Now three years here, being part of this fan base, it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life. I love the Baltimore Raven fans. We're reaching out and trying to get more. We're trying to take control of this whole area. We'll take over Washington D.C. while we're at it. And head up into Pennsylvania and grab all those fans, and over to West Virginia and Virginia. Come on and be a Baltimore Raven fan because this is an exciting organization and exciting football team."

Seems pretty obvious that he's just really, really excited about the Ravens and there is no reason to worry. Or maybe that's just what he wants Washington to think...

By Cindy Boren  | January 17, 2011; 6:26 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marcus Trufant, John Carlson released from Chicago hospital
Next: Nalbandian outlasts Hewitt in five sets at Australian Open

Comments

Puh... no way would I forsake a team that blows, has an insanely racist name, and plays for a city that's less of a city than a tax-sucking federal machine... no way, I say, would I leave them for a team that tends to win games and whose name is a literary allusion. Gaaayyyyyy.

Posted by: shocked-n-saddened | January 17, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

"We'll take over Washington D.C. while we're at it. And head up into Pennsylvania and grab all those fans, and over to West Virginia and Virginia. Come on and be a Baltimore Raven fan because this is an exciting organization and exciting football team."

Any word if he gave an Howard Dean type scream after this speach?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 17, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Setting aside the DC thing -- about which, you know, whatevs -- but I'd love to hear more about this plan to head up into Pennsylvania and grab all those fans. I'm sure one thing Eagle and Steeler fans could agree on is that there's no friggin' way that happens.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 17, 2011 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Bring it on! I aren’t scared!

Posted by: stoneface1 | January 17, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I have too much class to ever be a Ratbird fan.

Posted by: CapsNut | January 17, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

John - You have to have a good team first to get Skins fans. You're better than the Skins now but you are clearly on the decline!!!
Steelers can kick your butt any day!

Posted by: pb_in_ec | January 17, 2011 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has to seriously worry about the possibility of the Ravens raiding fans from Skins territory.

I live halfway between the Ravens and the Redskins. I am a lifelong Skins fan. Have bled burgandy and gold since 1983. But, honestly, I'm getting jaded now. I'm finding myself less interested in trying to relive the glory days - twenty years ago now - and just wanting good football. The Ravens aren't really my team, but they're a stable organization and I don't have to worry about the coach and his son and the rumors about the quarterback and the bingo caller, the owner's BFF throwing away draft picks, etc. This reality show called the Redskins is starting to get old. And if I am starting to feel this way, being a fan even through many tough years, I know I'm not alone.

Maryland is home to two football teams. One has been a perennial playoff team and won the Super Bowl not too long ago. And then there are the Redskins.

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | January 17, 2011 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The Steelers already own DC

Posted by: Loggie1 | January 18, 2011 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey Ravens, get rid of that wimpy logo, only some crab eaters would make a bad @$s bird logo look so silly. Eradicate all the purple from your uniform and the MAYBE you can talk about sucking up fans from historic teams that are all over the region.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 18, 2011 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Note to Coach Harbaugh, you'll overtake nothing with your cruddy offense...

Posted by: MSealDC | January 18, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

No thanks, I won't be cheering for any team with Sir Stabs A Lot as their inspirational leader.

Posted by: frenchyb | January 18, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I live in Pennsylvania and there are more Ravens and Redskin fans in my area than there are Steeler and Eagle fans. I can understand what he's saying, as Central PA is less than 1.5 hours away. Ultimately though, the bottom line is winning and losing. The team that is winning always seems to have the most fans at that time! Since Dan Snyder has mostly ruined me for my football life, I may just be one of those fans John Harbaugh can convert!!!

Posted by: epwolff | January 18, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

There is no way that I leave the Skins after 48 years as a fan and root for the Cleveland Ravens (a.k.a. the Baltimore Ravens) - a vagabond team in the wrong town. Now if Harbaugh really wants to do us a favor maybe he will make Danny boy an offer he can't refuse to join the Ravens!

Posted by: Warecrawford1 | January 18, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm a convert to Raven Nation. I'm done with the Deadskins and their losing culture, bad decisions, racist name, greedy owner, awful suburban stadium. Done. Go Ravens!

- Josh in D.C./Arlington

Posted by: jmarks09 | January 18, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, Washington D.C. belongs to the entire country with all the transients here. He's definitely not talking about Virginia as it is firmly Redskin country but Snyder has ignored and should be worried about the Ravens claiming even more of the Maryland side of the Washington D.C. suburbs. Montgomery County might be a battleground for tired Redskins fans and the remnants of Howard County and Anne Arundel Skins fans have to be dwindling.

Posted by: raybell84 | January 18, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder singlehandedly killed the Redskin fan experience, the team's legacy (that other men built), and new generation fans all in one fell swoop. So it's no surprise Harbaugh plans to jump all over that. Let him bring home a Super Bowl and Snyder's Skins are done.

But I'm loyal to the Skins. Those Super Bowl years gave me some of the best memories (and tailgaiting) of my life. But if I were 20 years younger, no doubt I'd ditch Snyder's dysfunction, drama, stupid decisions, losing, and head to Baltimore.

Posted by: katedog | January 18, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

As a 50 yr. old who grew up in P.G., I can tell you that the Redskins were near religion in the Metro area. Traffic was light and stores uncrowded anytime the Skins played. I don't have to tell you all now that that fervor is dead. The victim of one Daniel Snyder.

I could see myself switching to the Ravens if it weren't for the fact of how they got here. As Irsay and Indianapolis raped Baltimore, Modell and Maryland/Baltimore raped Cleveland. In fact, I still refer to the team as the Baltimore Browns.

Having said that, I can assure you that there is a lot of fruit to be picked from the D.C. area, some of it quite low hanging. If I were the Browns...err Ravens...and needed to sell tickets, I would certainly go after the D.C. market.

Posted by: tmcandrew2 | January 18, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I have been a B&G fan since 1963. I went to the 1st SB win under Gibbs in Pasadena. But, folks, what Harbaugh said is already happening. There are many people who were strictly B&G fans who now root only for the Ravens. I watch every B&G game and cheer for them like crazy, but I like the I pull for all Baltimore teams because i worked in Baltimore for awhile and they are such nice folks, I can't root against them. So the trugh hurts but with Napoleon running the team, they will never be great again.

Posted by: TJDemo | January 18, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Ravens have earned the right to grab Skin fans. I find myself watching the blue/purple every postseason and its catching on. I wish the WP sports section would write about the Ravens during the regular season. Mr Snyder doesn't own the post yet right?

Posted by: Kate4sports | January 18, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

A guy who is surrounded my three teams is going to take over the entire area? At best he might be 4th in the Washington Metro area behind the Skins, Steeler fans and Cowboy fans. That statement as good as his offense was against Pittsburgh.

Posted by: flyfishnforbass | January 19, 2011 5:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flyfishnforbass | January 19, 2011 5:08 AM | Report abuse

No thanks. Redskins fan for life. Nothing's changing that. I hate the Ravens and I'm glad they lost. Now go mind your own business Harbaugh.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 19, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Wonder where this guy gets this arrogance? No need: he's a mythical "Michigan Man". They are better than everyone else. Just ask them.

Redksins forever.

Posted by: stevec3 | January 19, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

When the Mayflower backed up in 83 who did crackmore fans root for after that? NOT THE SKINS. So I'll be damned if I'll ever root for the barney purple. Also harbaugh should worry about trying to beat the Steelers and the Colts in the playoffs instead of this. P.S. Ray rice just fumbled again.

Posted by: frogfamily | January 19, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Poor Skins fans. So desperate. Trust me, no one wants you ingrates at M&T.

Only if Haynesworth was as fired up as you jokers over Harbaugh's random comments.

Have fun with Snyder and Shannyhanny! Looks looks like they are off to an outstanding start.

Losers.

Caw!

Posted by: matt_1124 | January 20, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Typical of Baltimorons....only jump on the bandwagon of WINNING teams. I remember in the late 90's, NOBODY was talking about the Ravens, everything revolved around the Orioles. Now it's the exact opposite.

Baltimore is more concerned with crack and STDs than they are about sports. It's just easier to root for the team that's winning and pretend the other doesn't exist.

I'd rather be a loyal fan to a losing team than just root for winning teams all the time. I've noticed alot of Heat jerseys on the drug dealers on the B-more street corners lately....shocker.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | January 22, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse