Posted at 12:23 PM ET, 01/ 9/2011

NFL wild-card weekend live: Ravens-Chiefs, Packers-Eagles

By Cindy Boren

The second day of wild-card weekend means that today figures to be the last day of peace and quiet before Rex Ryan starts lobbing verbal grenades in the direction of the New England Patriots and quarterback Tom Brady. Perhaps Brady lobbed a nonverbal grenade of his own, reportedly taking in "Lombardi" on Broadway rather than watch the Jets-Colts game Saturday night. Or maybe he really just likes theater.

"He does write big checks," Jason Taylor said of Ryan on CBS's "NFL Today," "and we have to go cash 'em."

It's too soon to obsess over that. Today, the Baltimore Ravens and Kansas City Chiefs play, followed by the Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles. After starting so smartly by picking the Seahawks to win Saturday, I now think it's entirely possible that I finish wild-card weekend with a 1-3 record; I'm taking the Ravens and Packers. (I grew up a Chiefs fan and I'm not picking against them in some sort of weird, reverse-180 double-whammy jinx thing. I think the Ravens, despite an aging defense and the family crisis Ed Reed is dealing with, have a modest run left in them.) Feel free to set me straight, or mock me, in the comments.

OT reminder: The new rule debuts this weekend.

To reseed or not to reseed: Speaking of the Seahawks' upset, does that make you more inclined to favor reseeding teams?

Asomugha contract voided: The contract of the Oakland Raiders' Pro Bowl cornerback Nndami Asomugha has voided and he will become a free agent without the Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, ESPN reports. A clause in his contract causes it to be voided if he does not achieve incentives, and he did not, playing in 14 games in 2010. The contract also said that if he fell short of his incentives, the Raiders would agree to not designate him the franchise or transition player.

Your NFL tweets live here with #nflwp:

By Cindy Boren  | January 9, 2011; 12:23 PM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Football Hall of Fame announces 17 finalists for Class of 2011
Next: DC Sports-o-Meter Live: Who had the best week in sports?

Comments

Well, I'm not terribly thrilled with what I'm seeing from KC on this drive. Ravens and Flacco look good, tho.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 9, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Flacco might end the day in a straight-jacket in a padded cell.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Chiefs win, if for nothing more than to just make Danny Carey happy.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 9, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Words cannot describe the regard in which I hold Eric Berry. And the regard in which I hold the Chiefs for their draft last April. Todd's gotta lost the mullet in the making, tho.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 9, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Weis is going to have to start working on his mullet if he's going to Gainesville.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Weis with a mullet is a pretty objectionable image.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 9, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Say this about Zorn: he's got Flacco sliding.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 9, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Cundiffed! Does that word get by the censors?

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 9, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse