Posted at 4:22 PM ET, 01/30/2011

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco upset over firing of Jim Zorn

By Cindy Boren

At least one member of the Baltimore Ravens is unhappy about the firing of quarterbcks coach Jim Zorn last week and that person is quarterback Joe Flacco, who said he feels "a little bit like I'm being attacked."

"I'm not happy about it, they know that I'm not happy about it," Flacco told the Carroll County Times Saturday during the annual Polar Bear Plunge (yikes!) at Sandy Point State Park. "It's not news to them. They know I'm not happy about it, and my feelings aren't going to change. I'm not going to be happy about it, for a long time.

"This year will be what it is. We're going to be successful this year. I would have just liked him to be a part of it. He would have liked to be a part of it, and I think it would have been good for him to be a part of it."

Flacco had the best season of his career, passing for 3,622 yards and 25 touchdowns with 10 interceptions and 93.6 passer rating.

"I also feel like a little bit like I'm being attacked," Flacco said. "You fire the quarterback coach. Usually when your fire a position coach, it's because you're not really happy with how that position did. And when I look back on my season and our season as a team, I mean, we won 13 games.

"I felt like I had a pretty good year and you're firing the quarterback coach? it's kind of an attack on me, I feel like. You know, it is what it is. It's not that big of a deal for me to feel like it."

Flacco wasn't shy about telling the Ravens how he feels. (One report alleged insubordination led to Zorn's firing. "I'm disappointed and they know I'm disappointed. I don't think it was a good decision, and they know that. I expressed that throughout the whole time it was going on, I expressed how much I didn't think it would be good for us.

"My opinion isn't going to change. I think Jim was a great coach, I think he was great for our team. I think he was great for me. That's how I feel about it."

By Cindy Boren  | January 30, 2011; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Pro Bowl memory: Sean Taylor's hit on Brian Moorman
Next: DeAngelo Hall, Pro Bowl MVP, wins Cadillac but no trip to Disney World

Comments

flacco's mediocre---he's making millions for mediocrity. Stop the whining and start winning big games.

Posted by: Socialistic | January 30, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

We'll probably never know the true story, but this feels like a power struggle between Cameron and Zorn. Both have been head coaches and there probably was a fair amount of ego in the film room.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 30, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

the timing was strategically after other teams had pretty much fleshed out their new staffs. Zorn now thinks he's a coordinator. A natural reaction. There was probably some friction there. Someone had to go. Good luck to Z-man. He'll have no trouble getting another job.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | January 30, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Insubordination is a pretty big word to throw around. Why hasn't Cindy followed up on that. That's the story that I am interested in.

Posted by: bobilly1 | January 30, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Socialistic posted:

_________________________

I guess those 4 playoff wins-all on the road-in the past 3 seasons don't count.

Posted by: Fitz157 | January 31, 2011 8:20 AM | Report abuse

after that playoff performance, who didn't see this coming?

Flaco, you SHOULD think they are attacking you. You stunk.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 31, 2011 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Flacco sure does repeat himself a lot. We know you wanted him "to be a part of it", and we know you are "not happy about it". You don't have to repeat yourself over three times.

Also, Zorn was/is a boob.

Posted by: thekels | January 31, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Socialistic posted:

_________________________

I guess those 4 playoff wins-all on the road-in the past 3 seasons don't count.

_________

Posted by: brian1va1 | January 31, 2011 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Some people just don't think their comments through at all before the hit the "submit" button. As a Redskins fan who has no rooting interest in the Ravens, I have to laugh at the two fools (brian1va1 and socialistic) who are criticizing Joe Flacco for being "mediocre" and for not winning the big game. The guy is a 3rd year pro who in those 3 years has taken his team to the playoffs every year and played 7 playoff games, none of which he played poorly in. If his receivers had simply caught a couple of perfectly thrown balls in the Steelers game, they'd probably be in the Super Bowl right now. It's not his fault a TD was dropped late in the game, nor is it his fault a perfectly thrown 4th and 18 throw in the final minute was dropped.

So puuulease. Give me a break about blaming Flacco for not beating the Steelers...as if that automatically makes you a terrible QB.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 31, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Steelers and New England gots Baltimore number when it come playoff time.

Simple as that!

No burner on offense and defense is old.

Posted by: SOLVBACK | January 31, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a ravens fan, but I'd be happy to have Flacco on my team. He is young, and when that receiver set gels he can be very very dangerous.

Posted by: gconrads | January 31, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Nope, not really. Those 4 wins are more than outweighed by the fact that he is 0-6 lifetime in head to head match-ups (regular season and playoffs combined) against Big Ben, and only 2-6 against the Steelers overall. Until the Ravens and Flacco actually... you know... win something, all they are is a bunch of trash talkers who haven't shown any ability whatsoever to back it up when it really matters."

Donovan McNabb played mediocre this season. Joe Flacco played well. Ben Roethlisberger played great.

There's a scale between mediocre and great, you know. Joe Flacco doesn't inhabit the lower end.

Posted by: j762 | January 31, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

So where are the Baltimorons now telling us how classy and well-run the Ratbirds are???

To recap, the Ratbirds facing an internal power struggle (which happens all the time) trash a man's reputation in hashing it out and in the process piss off their franchise QB.

Sounds like just another day of the week in Ashburn.

Posted by: CapsNut | January 31, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse