Posted at 11:50 AM ET, 01/17/2011

Report: Brett Favre submits retirement papers to NFL

By Cindy Boren

Brett Favre has submitted retirement papers to the NFL, according to FoxSports.com.

News of Favre's retirement should always come with a complimentary grain of salt. This time, though, it seems more likely that he will permanently vacate the premises after a disappointing, injury-plagued 20th season.

In early December, he said, "I'm done, I'm done" and, when asked if he meant it this time, replied: "I remember the same question, the first part of the year, everyone said, 'Well, ....' I said, 'Time will tell,' but like I said, I'm done. I'd love to, as I said when I came back I'm here to win a Super Bowl, we had big expecations, it hasn't gone the way we hoped up to this point, but again, my career speaks for itself. I think it's been a great career. I don't know how the remaining games will unfold but that's it."

After leading the Minnesota Vikings to the NFC championship game last year, Favre, 41, was coaxed into returning this summer by teammates. Instead of advancing a step further, the Vikings went 6-10. Favre was bothered by a procession of injuries and his NFL-record string of consecutive regular-season starts ended at 297 games last month. If the report is accurate and his intent sincere, Favre would have finished his career with a brief appearance in a "Monday Night Football" game in which the Chicago Bears knocked him out with a concussion.

Off the field, Favre was constant tabloid fodder. He was investigated by the NFL for alleged sexual harassment of Jenn Sterger (by sending lewd photos and inappropriate voice-mail messages) when both were with the New York Jets in 2008. Favre later admitted to leaving the voice messages; the NFL fined him $50,000 for not being forthright with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Recently, two former Jets massage therapists filed suit against him and last week, his sister was arrested.

By Cindy Boren  | January 17, 2011; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  Brett Favre
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bart Scott on Tom Brady, Patriots: 'They can't stop a nosebleed"
Next: Marcus Trufant, John Carlson released from Chicago hospital

Comments

What exactly is the significance of filing his retirement papers with the league?

I assume it moves him onto the Vikings' "reserved/retired" list or whatever, so it frees up a roster spot. But it doesn't prevent him from coming back next September, or make it more than a matter of paperwork, does it?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 17, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

One of these days, he'll really mean it.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 17, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not buying it. 41 is the new 31.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 17, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

This news comes three seasons too late. Brett Favre should have stayed retired after his original announcement following the 2007 season. Otherwise, his name wouldn't be sullied by a combination of on-field performance and off-field scandal.

Posted by: austinrl | January 17, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Just think, he COULD have gone out as a mavelous,respected star and hero! But, because he refused to face the facts of the aging process, here we are: a failed, scandal making has been! How sad!

Nobody wants to get old, but it's sort of inevitable! Brett, you didn't do this act well at all!

Posted by: Maerzie | January 17, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Brett went out on his own terms and no matter what Brett's football legacy is still in tact. If OJ Simpson and Lawrence Taylor's football legacy still has survived with nary a dent I think Brett will be ok. I applaud any athlete that goes out on his terms and not the terms sportswriters or fans preffer. Wether we're talking about a player fans think left too soon (Barry Sanders) or too late (Brett Favre). They did it when they were good and ready.

Besides going out on your own terms is extremely rare in pro football where more often than not the game kicks the player out.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | January 17, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

>>yawn<< Boy, cry, wolf....

Maybe a team needs to give him a front office job. Then he can't play. ...Can he?

Posted by: bucinka8 | January 17, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

6thsense, I agree completely. He did it on his terms and that's the way it should be.

austin, 3 seasons? The guy was in the NFC championship last year and had one of the best seasons of his career. This last year he may as well have stayed retired, but the problem with trying to go out on top is that you never know where the top is. Even if he'd have won a superbowl late in his career and then left, he'd always have to wonder if he could've won a second superbowl or even a third.

Posted by: bill3 | January 17, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

now starts the countdown for Brett's wife to kicking him out. He's done earning the big-money. If she's smart, she'll take her cut now and leave him to his bimbos.

Posted by: bigD3 | January 17, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse