Posted at 7:00 PM ET, 01/ 5/2011

Vince Young will be traded or released by Tennessee Titans

By Cindy Boren

The tempestuous relationship between Tennessee Titans Coach Jeff Fisher and quarterback Vince Young will end with either the trade or release of the quarterback, according to Tennessean.com.

"As you are aware, we have been engaged in a series of internal discussions over the last month about the future of our football team," Titans owner Bud Adams said in a statement released by the team. "We have two critical decisions to make - the direction of the coaching staff and the future at the quarterback position.

"They are separate issues to me and will be dealt with separately. Today, I informed our general manager Mike Reinfeldt to move forward with plans to begin the process of identifying the next quarterback for our franchise. He will inform Vince Young's agent that Vince will not be on our roster next season.

"I want to offer my personal thanks to Vince for all of his positive contributions to the club. These kinds of decisions are never easy and this is especially true for this particular player. I certainly wish that things would have worked out better, but I think it is best or the franchise that we move on at this point.

"I also informed [Coach] Jeff [Fisher] today that I was continuing the evaluation of the coaching staff and I am hoping to make a decision soon."

Young suffered a season-ending thumb injury in November and underwent surgery. In addition, he has been demoted and banished by Fisher at times this season as their relationship headed for the rocks. Young is 30-17 in five NFL seasons, 13-14 against teams that finished at .500 or better.

"That's crazy. That's something I would never have expected," Titans running back Chris Johnson said in a phone interview with ESPN. "That's a guy always I looked at when I was in college ... that's somebody I always wanted to play with and ... if I could get the opportunity to play with him it'd be a great thing. He'd be a great teammate."

Johnson said he didn't see the split coming because Young "produced a lot of wins" and because it was something between the two of them. "I'm at a loss for words," Johnson said. "I'm not sure that I have the right answer on why this situation happened."

Young will be gone, but, as Adams indicated, Fisher, who has a year left on his contract and is the NFL's longest-tenured head coach with 16 full seasons in the books, is on notice as well. Fisher had no comment Wednesday on the Young news.

Reinfeldt, in a statement released by the team, said:

"I talked with Vince's agent Tom Condon today and informed him that Vince will not figure into the club's plans for next season. Under league rules, Vince's contract cannot be terminated until February 7 when waivers begin for the new season. Similarly, he cannot be traded to another club until trading begins on the first day of the league year. Until then, Vince is welcome to rehab his injury either here at our facility or elsewhere.

"I let Mr. Adams know that we will explore all of the options that are available to us to solidify the quarterback position for the upcoming season."

Now...where's the best spot for Vince Young?

By Cindy Boren  | January 5, 2011; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Leach thought he and Maryland were a good match
Next: Would Vince Young, Redskins be a good fit?

Comments

--------------------------
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Looks like Fisher's time might be up.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 5, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

He's only got a year left...with labor strife coming, perhaps he figures might as well keep him?

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 5, 2011 7:39 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins should sign Vince Young!!!!

Posted by: b7810 | January 5, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young will either be chased around Nashville by guys in white coats carrying butterfly nets or be signed to a long-term contract by Dan Snyder.

Either way, I won't be surprised.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | January 5, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Please, Please, Please Shanahan....DO NOT sign this head case!!!!

Posted by: mcwop | January 5, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

You mean the head case, Kyle? Already done.

Posted by: pjohn2 | January 5, 2011 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins should trade Haynesworth for Young. The Redskins have been the best soap opera in football or anywhere else. Shanahan getting Young to play his system should allow the enjoyment to continue and save what may be a dull season of normal mediocre football. It should also keep a Titan tradition going.

Posted by: jhough1 | January 5, 2011 9:44 PM | Report abuse

McNabb for Young???

Posted by: charley42 | January 5, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Please keep Snyder away from all NFL news this off-season. Otherwise, he'll do something dumb like signing Vince Young or trading ALL of the 'Skins picks for Luck.

Don't get me wrong, Luck's a heck of a QB but the 'Skins have more holes than a golf course.

Posted by: Grendel13 | January 5, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Sign him, Danno...another has-been for your Redskins collection.

Posted by: JCM-51 | January 5, 2011 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young to the Redskins? What, do you people never learn? Another malcontent? Are you guys masochists or just simply morons?

Posted by: hock1 | January 5, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Bud, butt out and let your coach run the team. No need to be like other over-reaching owners.

Posted by: jen288 | January 6, 2011 6:54 AM | Report abuse

I see people attempting to be humorus.

He might fit in Phonix plans.

Posted by: shamken | January 6, 2011 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I live in Nashville and follow the Titans pretty closely. Vince Young is a clown. If you like Haynesworth's antics, you'll love VY. His teammates don't respect him, the coaches hate him and he has the emotional maturity of a 5 year old.

Look for Dan Snyder to give up a 2nd round draft choice to get him by the end of the week!

Posted by: randysbailin | January 6, 2011 8:06 AM | Report abuse

________________________________________

You seem to be a clown, did you not just see that Chris Johnson their best player give the guy a ringing endorsement. Fisher seems to be the guy that has lost the locker room here. He benched Young last year and started 0-7, when the owner forced him to play Young down the stretch they went 7-2. The guy is 30-17 as a starter. Name the number of quarterbacks in the NFL that have a better winning percentage. When he was benched this year they were over .500 and slumped down the stretch.

Posted by: impartial1 | January 6, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

When will fans recognize that the ego of NFL coaches far exceeds that of 99% of the players.

Posted by: impartial1 | January 6, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

If you want a leader at QB, You do not want VY. He's a big baby. If you want someone to play another diva role in the soap opera that the Redskins have become, then by all means, sign him. We are glad to see him go.

Posted by: howlin1 | January 6, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse