Posted at 8:15 AM ET, 01/ 6/2011

Would Vince Young, Redskins be a good fit?

By Cindy Boren

It's over between Jeff Fisher and Vince Young, which raises the question: Where will Young play next year? For followers of a certain Washington D.C., football team that may be seeking a change at quarterback, the question is far more local. So let's kick this debate off now.

Young, who will either be traded or released by the Tennessee Titans, is coming off thumb surgery and a string of difficulties with his coach. Fisher was intractably stubborn; Young was exasperatingly inattentive to detail (that'd go over pretty well with Mike Shanahan and, besides, the last guy from Tennessee didn't work out so well).

But he does have a 30-17 regular-season record when he starts and the highest winning percentage of any Oilers/Titans quarterback (.638 to Steve McNair's .580).

"Things happen for a reason. I tried my best to win a Super Bowl for them. I tried my hardest, I really did,'' Young told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. "I just wish Coach Fisher would have trusted me a little bit more. That was the only issue there.

"I like Jeff Fisher as a person, as a coach and everything. I just didn't feel like he trusted me. In the five years I was there ... I feel like he was continuing to treat me like I was a young man when I'd really grown up a whole lot. I just didn't feel like I had the trust and the love that any other quarterback around the league had. I was always looking over my shoulder. I didn't feel like I was his guy the whole way.''

The Tennessean was unable to reach Fisher for comment.

By Cindy Boren  | January 6, 2011; 8:15 AM ET
Categories:  NFL, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vince Young will be traded or released by Tennessee Titans
Next: Report: ESPN, NFL close to nearly $2 billion-per-year deal for 'Monday Night Football'

Comments

The theory is to eliminate the head cases, not to replace one with another. There is no clear and convincing evidence Vince Young will ever have his head in the game and the Redskins need to pass.

Posted by: i2igems | January 6, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

The only good fit for Vince Young is a straitjacket. Or maybe the Raiders. I'm sure Al has a spare one he can borrow.

Posted by: will_ga | January 6, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Definitely no. Bad Karma between the Ttans and 'Skins (i.e. Fatso). However, the Titans should try to pursue McNabb.

Posted by: boyn4884 | January 6, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

There's no way it would work with him and the Shanahans. If they thought McNabb was unfocused...Vince Young is Mr. Magoo. But you never know about coaches -- all of 'em. They have utter faith in their ability to coach guys up.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | January 6, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

No need to even debate this one. if McNabb cannot work here Young has no chance. Besides Young isn't that good anyway.

That is Young's core problem. the guy still thinks he is great based off his play at Texas. He has no concept of "ESTABLISHING" himself at the NFL level. for some reason he and many other NFL QB think they are just a hair behind Manning and Brady.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 6, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I can't wait to see Vince go crying to the Boy Owner the first time Shanny criticizes his drop-backs: "Now, now, Vince, we'll take care of this; don't you worry about a thing." "Jeeves, get the 'copter!"

Posted by: trebor0012 | January 6, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Tennesse is not going to release vince young , just like how redskins wouldn't release McNabb or Haynesworth. With the redskins trying to trade Albert haynesworth and McNabb this season, Tennessee seems like their likely partner. The titans have been trying to trade for Haynesworth for the right price and now they are trying to get rid of one of their own disgruntled player in Vince Young. It might not be a straight up trade, but i see a trade happening between Tennessee and Washington this off season, that will most likely include Vince Young, Albert Haynesworth and probably McNabb and draft picks.

Posted by: beede81 | January 6, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beede81 | January 6, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Should the skins pursue Young?. My answer is not just no---BUT H______NO

Posted by: rayjay1 | January 6, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Should the skins pursue Young?. My answer is not just no---BUT H______NO

Posted by: rayjay1 | January 6, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Trade Hayenesworth for Young, then shop Young around. Might get a bit more for Young in the trade market than for Haynesworth.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 6, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

VY is winner. In fact, pretty much all he does is win games and get benched by Jeff fisher. He'd never work out with Shanahan.

He will wind up in Seattle w/ the man he single handedly beat in the Rose Bowl. Carrol doesn't give a damn about off the field. He'll take VY in a second. And as much as I can't stand Pete Carrol, he'll win with him too, just like everybody else who starts him at QB.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | January 6, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is better than Vince Young, why on earth would we downgrade to someone that we know will not work. Vince will be on suicide watch the moment he gets here.

Posted by: Eman8 | January 6, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I say Trade Kyle Shanahan for Vince Young They are both head cases!!!!!! We need to draft a Quarterback

Posted by: bert3 | January 6, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

“...he single handedly beat …” in reference to Young’s play in the Rose Bowl.

Come now. You are kidding right? He did not strategize the game plan, he did not call his own plays, he didn’t catch the balls, he didn’t block, he might have scrambled a little but he was not a runner, he just executed the plays he was told to do, period. I would say he played a good game but was only one part of the team that won.

The ability to play great in college does not always translate to the pro level, so lets keep think in perspective.

Posted by: hock1 | January 6, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Vince Young playing for the Redskins would be a disaster. It's easy to foresee more quarterback and coach problems if that happens. It's a TERRIBLE idea.

Posted by: CAmira5 | January 6, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about Young, but I do know JRussell will be in camp next year!

you heard it here first

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | January 6, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If any player has ever single-handedly beat a team, it was Vince Young in the Rose Bowl. He was as clutch a player as I've ever seen in that game, and his game winning scramble was a true thing of beauty.

But I agree that that doesn't necessarily translate to success in the NFL. We can look to the 30 - 17 regular season record to determine that...

Posted by: crashinghero | January 6, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

You know who we need to get from Tennessee? Jeff Fisher! I was hoping he would get fired after starting last year (0-8?), but of course he righted the ship in the second half. The guy is flat-out a winner. He's the one who Snyder should be throwing money at.

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | January 6, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Would Vince Young be any worse than the man both Snyder and Shanahan coveted? (Jay Cutler)

Posted by: Alan4 | January 6, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Fisher will die of laughter if he can foist another head case off on the redskins. This discussion makes interesting blog material, but, my God, if the Redskins did this I would seriously have to consider rooting for another team after 50 years.

Posted by: sportsfan2 | January 6, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins could use another diva head case with a history of feuding with coaches.

Posted by: spidey103 | January 6, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"The theory is to eliminate the head cases, not to replace one with another."

Exactly.

Tennesee is one of the WORST disciplined teams in the NFL and it showed when the Skins played them this past season. Case in point: Fat Albert Haynesworth.

Fisher is a TERRIBLE coach and a AWFUL disciplinarian. For God's sake do not bring any more head cases to this team.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 6, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, what league have you been covering the last two years? To answere the question "not just no, HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rmcpks73 | January 6, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the 'Skins should try to get a good QB instead.

Posted by: js_edit | January 6, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I would not trade for him, but I would offer a 1 or 2 year FA incentive laden contract if he is cut. I bet if we don't The Cowgirls will.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | January 6, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

NO chance...Lance....

Team Shanny's beefs with McNubb are his pace & his grasp of their offense. Vince Young had one of the lowest Wunderlic scores of any potential NFL quarterback in the history of the league administering the test...after taking the test TWICE!

Translation, his aptitude for learning & problem-solving are VERY low. Oh yeah, that's JUST what the 'Skins need more of. Vince LOMBARDI couldn't coach Vince Young up...

Posted by: CLBinTX | January 6, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Deion Sanders
Jeff George
Adam Archuleta
TJ Duckett
Jason Taylor
Devin Thomas
Malcolm Kelly
Jim Zorn
Albert Hanynesworth
Donovan McNabb

Yes oh yes, what would 2011 be without Vince Young?

Posted by: dcnationals1 | January 6, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

30 wins and 17 losses and he can't get his coaches trust. Well if he wants to have an opinion and talk to his coach about the gameplan he should look elsewhere.

Besides, we want Cam Newton.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | January 6, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

It will not work. If Vince thought Fisher treated him like he was young, he would really act out under the treatment of the Shanahans. They even tried to treat McNabb, who is long in the tooth in football years, like he was young. If the suggestion ever comes up, Young should throw a tantrum immediately and remind them why they shouldn't trade for him. BTW, I don't think he's a bad QB. He's already did his football penance, he deserves a chance to go to a team that wants him.

Posted by: Carole5520 | January 6, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Deion Sanders
Jeff George
Adam Archuleta
TJ Duckett
Jason Taylor
Devin Thomas
Malcolm Kelly
Jim Zorn
Albert Hanynesworth
Donovan McNabb

Yes oh yes, what would 2011 be without Vince Young?

______________________________

don't forget JaFata$ssss Russell as their back QB

and maybe they can still Ryan Leaf to be their project QB LOL!!

Deadskins ain't getting my hard earned money anymore, that's my resolution. I cancelled my season tickets wooohooooo the fans should really boycott the games, but that won't happen. I'm just one of the minority that finally woke up and refused to buy a product that has deteriorated the last decade and yet the company still insist its fresh and ready to make an impact.

UP YOURS SNYDER!

Posted by: datruth21 | January 6, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: frediemac1 | January 6, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Good talent. Bad leader, worse attitude. Pass!

Posted by: anw821 | January 6, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

One word and a punctuation. NO.

Posted by: omegamgt | January 6, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

He would fit the way the Redskins have been doing things. But no!!! the Redskins should not get him.

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | January 6, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Why would he want to come here?! The Shanahan's don't respect any player who's not kissing their backsides. Big Papa is an egomaniacal dictator and Little Shanny is too stupid to know what he doesn't know. Young and Fisher are both to blame for what happened in TN. There are too many overblown egos in the NFL. It's all about getting paid.

Posted by: Misty630 | January 6, 2011 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Signing Vince Young would be an incredibly stupid move. He's immature, a head case, unreliable, won't play with pain, unpopular in the locker room and overrated as a player. It is for all of these reasons that I believe that Dan Snyder will bring him to play for your Washington Redskins.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 6, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth for Young, straight up.

Posted by: steven09 | January 6, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Listen please, trade albert for vince..keep him on the roster for a year then if it doesnt work out release him whats that gonna hurt?

Posted by: jeye18 | January 6, 2011 8:30 PM | Report abuse

there is absolutely no need for another dummer than dirt QB on this roster since we rid ourselves of 3 and Out Campbell...

this team is dead team walking for 5+++ yrs to go..so just take the time to do it right...

Posted by: GRIMReaper55 | January 6, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse