Posted at 11:35 AM ET, 02/22/2011

Doug Williams criticizes NFL 'fraternity,' returns to Grambling State to coach son

By Cindy Boren

Doug Williams acknowledges that coaching his son in his second stint at Grambling State may be a challenge, but it has to be easier than navigating what he calls the NFL's good ol' boys "fraternity."

Williams resigned over the weekend as general manager of the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL in order to return to Grambling State and criticized front-office opportunities for minorities in the NFL. He spent six seasons in the Tampa Bay Bucs' scouting department (from 2004 until last May) and hoped to become an NFL GM.

"The good ol' boy network is alive and well,'' Williams said in an interview with tampabay.com. "But it's changed from the good ol' boy network to the fraternity. I always find a way to overcome and just keep going forward. I look at it this way, you've got guys sitting in the front office that never coached. I just didn't coach college, I coached high school. If you've got the patience and time to coach high school, you can do other jobs. There are guys who learned the [football] language and never got their hands dirty, per se. They can't go back and get their hands dirty again.

"I'm not frustrated at all. When I left the [NFL] the first time, things happened for me.''

Williams, Super Bowl XXII MVP with the Redskins, originally succeeded Eddie Robinson at Grambling State and went 52-18 with Southwestern Athletic Conference championships in 2000 and 2001. His son, D.J., will be a freshman quarterback at Grambling, which is also Williams' alma mater. "I'm not looking to play him this year,'' Williams said. "He needs a little work. He needs to get bigger. He's long, 6-4, 190-pounds, a little bigger than Josh Johnson. I asked him could he handle it, he told me yes. That's all I've got to know. A man's word is his bond.''

By Cindy Boren  | February 22, 2011; 11:35 AM ET
Categories:  College football, NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Justine Siegal makes baseball history by throwing batting practice
Next: Should Redskins take a quarterback with the 10th pick in NFL Draft?

Comments

How many "non-Black" people run BET?
I didn't know, just because you coached or played, it made you Front Office Executive Material??

There's always an excuse for somebody's failures, & in this DC Metro Area, you can always blame it on your skin color!!

Posted by: Trophyjeff | February 22, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

So, the NFL is the white man's BET? I don't get it.

The NFL has publicly recognized it has a problem with promoting qualified minority applicants for front office or head coaching gigs. Doug Williams is the NFL's loss and Grambling State's gain. Good luck Doug - would love to see you back in DC someday!

Posted by: sporesmoldsandfungus | February 22, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

How many black GMs does the NFL have? There were five as of 2009, but I can't find more recent stats.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 22, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Doug "one game (though what a game it was)" Williams always has an excuse.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | February 22, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

The man's got the chops and the reputation to back up his words. It is the NFL's loss. That said, I guess I'll be adding Gramblings schedule to the list of games to watch this year. Anything's better than the "Great Dan Snyder Worldwide" circus...

Best of luck Doug!

Posted by: cf6driver | February 22, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Doug has a big arm but a small brain. Deal with it son..

Posted by: wewintheylose1 | February 22, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Accusing the NFL owners of racism simply because you haven't quickly moved up the ranks to NFL GM is beyond the pale. You better damn sure have some concrete evidence of racial discrimination if you're going to make an outrageous accusation like that, Doug. Otherwise, you should never get a job in the NFL again after this stunt.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 22, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I like Doug Williams but this is b.s. He coached high school and thinks that qualifies him to be a GM?

Posted by: johnfchick1 | February 22, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Lots of racial hatred going on here. Put on the shoe!

Posted by: therev1 | February 22, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

John,

He was a Front Office guy for 6 years in Tampa, and played the game, knows how to scout. Thats his qualification.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 22, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

What exactly has Doug Williams done as a scout that qualifies him to now be a GM of a team?
Normally, guys go from being scouts to something like director of player personnel then assistant GM then GM.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 22, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"How many "non-Black" people run BET?"

Last I checked BET is not Black owned, they are owned by the same company that runs VH-1, Comedy Central, and MTV. Viacom.

Posted by: cnewso01 | February 22, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Doug Williams can't hold Ozzie Newsomes jock strap. To me this sounds like nothing more then sour grapes.

I think they should have a talk, Ozzie paid his dues significantly longer then Mr. Williams did.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 22, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

BET might not be black owned... but I bet you there is no "whitey" running the show... the Johnsons sold out..... I like and respect what DW did for the game but because you were i nthe scouting dept does not give you the the leg up to be in line for GM positions... like a poster said, normally, you work your way up to Director of player personnel to AGM then hopefully GM... it is always easy to drop the race card, regardless of the situation... so sad that it is being pulled here.

Posted by: rvanags | February 22, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't want to work with rapists, child molesters, dog killers and people who habitually shoot themselves in the foot, either. Better to go back to College Football where Colleges save money by not printing game brochures. They just give out directions to the nearest US Post office.

Posted by: fregameeate | February 22, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I wish Doug and DJ good luck at Grambling. I would love for him to pull in some big time recruits and make a little noise down there. It was a thrill to meet Doug before the Alumni parade at the "Russ Grimm" game. I root for the Redskins and I root for their kids to do well, in sports and in life.

Posted by: oconnra8 | February 22, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I was caught off guard when i heard Doug Williams was going back to Grambling. I thought he was already in line to get an NFL front office job. He had worked with Tampa as a scout and had head coaching experience as a HS and college coach. Add that to his on the field experience I'd see him a prime candidate. His story sounds like one similar to Bobby Mitchell who was in line to become the General Manager of the Redskins about 20 years ago.
Not sure if the Good ole boy network is still running the show but not by looking at the statistics. Maybe Doug just doesn't interview well, he's not exactly the most eloquent of speakers. Wish em the best of luck at Grambling... again.

Posted by: RobAnthony | February 22, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Doug Williams might not be skilled enough to run an NFL front office but that doesnt dismiss tthe validity of his argument. I think Pittsburgh's Rooney would agree with him.

Posted by: ryjufox3 | February 22, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Gee wilikers, just what does this say then about the NFLPA leadership?

Posted by: iliwai34 | February 22, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Where in the article did Doug say it was a racial thing. Looks like to me he said it was a good ole boy network/frat. The numbers back up his statement. How many NFL GM's are minority's.What about heads of scouting? What about Asst. GM's?

Posted by: bmt-enterprises | February 22, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Where in the article did Doug say it was a racial thing. Looks like to me he said it was a good ole boy network/frat."

Are you willfully ignorant or just ignorant? Sounds to me like you are being willfully ignorant. What exactly do you think "good ole boy network" means? This is like John Feinstein saying "Mike Shanahan is using racial coding" and then claiming he never accused him of racism, as if you can use racial coding and not be a racist. As if you can say the good ole boy network is still alive and then claim he's not talking about anything racial. Give me a break.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 22, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Apparently there's a good ole boy's network amongst NFL player since 70% of them are African-American.

Posted by: randysbailin | February 22, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Dark Thoughts, by Jon Entine
Dark Thoughts. by Jon Entine. If the NFL is 70 percent African-American, why are there so few black quarterbacks? And while we're at it, why is the NFL 70 ...
www.jonentine.com/articles/dark_thoughts_recon.htm

Posted by: Rockvillers | February 22, 2011 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes it is a good ol boy frat. IMO, they should let him in. It will either be the best thing for the NFL or the man will work his way out of the frat. Why not at least open the door?

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 22, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"Doug Williams has to look out for Doug Williams, 'cuz if Doug Williams don't look out for Doug Williams, nobody else is gonna look out for Doug Williams." A quote from the world's greatest third person personality.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | February 22, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Let's stop with BET comments Bob Johnson is a white man's negro; always was and alway's will be that's why he sold his booty shakin, Steppin Fetchit, negro drive by brain washing video network to viacom. Oprah Winfrey has more white's working for her than any black person alive. Doug paid his due's and should be in someone's NFL front office hell if Matt Millen could hang around and ruin Detroit for the last umpteen years at least Doug Williams deserves a chance.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 22, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Doug has a point.

Exhibit A: Kyle Shanahan. Doug's forgotten more about football than Kyley will ever know.

Exhibit B: Any of the Schottenheimer kiddies who are coaching.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | February 22, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Who cares! Until we get some Black team owners we have to deal with the status quo. This is not an EEO thing... you work at the pleasure of the owner.

If Doug wants to be a GM, as a Black Man, he has to pucker up. If he doesn't want to he can do the college thing.

Notice he went back to a Black College. It is what it is.....

Chuck will be Chuck....

Posted by: Special_One40 | February 22, 2011 7:50 PM | Report abuse

White people own BET. Stop using it to make a point.

Posted by: rcvinson64 | February 22, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

How many "non-Black" people run BET?

Posted by: Trophyjeff
___________________________________________

Last time I check TrophyJeff Viacom owns and runs BET> So what exactly are you talking about also you assume that all black people agree with BET position on various topics

Posted by: agarnett1000 | February 22, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

When I think of Doug Williams, the first, second, and third things I think of are the greatest quarter of football in Redskins history. If he thinks there's an old boy network, I'm not going to argue with him.

Posted by: eric22 | February 22, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Of the 32 NFL teams only the Baltimore Ravens have a black GM.

Posted by: waterboard | February 22, 2011 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Doug speaks the truth. I watched two hours of NFL this year and my 17 year old didn't watch a minute. He doesn't know the name of any player. The NFL and their farm teams of the NCAA have a big problem. We don't buy tickets and we don't watch. It's one thing to be competitive and another to be good.

Posted by: citizen625 | February 22, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I admire Doug Williams for his athletic skills and for winning the superbowl. But when people pull the race card these days I just shrug. After 3 to 4 decades of affirmative action when someone still tries to tell me that race is the factor of them not getting the job I just laugh inside. People should concentrate more on their educational skills and less on their skin color.

Posted by: steven7753 | February 22, 2011 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I was really looking forward to seeing how the Va Destroyers did in Va Beach next fall. Too bad Doug couldn't keep that commitment, but undoubtedly the pay's much better at Grambling.

Posted by: michael49 | February 22, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | February 22, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse
-----

If you have a labor pool that is so largely minority, and so few of these persons are promoted to middle and senior management, that should suggest to you that your organization has a problem, if you are curious about equity.

Out of the thousands of players and scouts and junior coaches and executives of color who have moved through the league in recent years, I find it hard to believe so few of them were qualified to be promoted to the next level.

Denial =/= river in Africa.

Posted by: Potomac50 | February 23, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | February 22, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse
-----

Denial =/= river in Africa.

Posted by: Potomac50 | February 23, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | February 22, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse
-----

Denial =/= river in Africa.

Posted by: Potomac50 | February 23, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the triple-posts. Stupid computer.

Posted by: Potomac50 | February 23, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse