Posted at 7:44 AM ET, 02/17/2011

Michael Vick cancels 'Oprah' appearance

By Cindy Boren

Of all the moves Michael Vick has made, this is one of the more curious ones.

He has bailed on Oprah.

The Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback -- the NFL's comeback player of the year -- canceled the taping of an interview (subject matter: doing time for his part in an illegal dogfighting ring, his return to the NFL, his work with the Humane Society and his future) -- with the queen of gab.

"After careful consideration, I will need to postpone the taping of the Oprah Winfrey interview. I admire and respect Oprah and hope to be able to participate in an interview in the future."

There's a report out of Philly that quotes sources saying the Eagles pressured Vick to cancel. Maybe he decided it was a bad idea to do the interview so close to the Westminster dog show. Maybe it's connected to getting the Eagles' franchise tag.

In any event, given that her show is going off the air, a rebooking might not be likely. Joe Flint of the Los Angeles Times thinks Vick is making the right move in keeping a low profile. "Going on 'Oprah Winfrey,' though, to be given some sort of blessing by the queen of talk is too much too soon," Flint writes. "Part of what Vick needs to learn and show is humility, and going on a popular TV show to say look at me now is not humble."

By Cindy Boren  | February 17, 2011; 7:44 AM ET
Categories:  Michael Vick
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Pujols, Cardinals: No deal at deadline
Next: Lakers get a shock from the Cavs...and one guy has to walk home to LA

Comments

He should have been baned for life. And the thought that he would like to get his kids a dog makes me sick to. If you only saw what he did to these animals what a monster he is.

Posted by: mattgrindberg | February 17, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattgrindberg | February 17, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Awww man get over it...Why should he be banned for life? Were Leonard Little, Ray Lewis, Donte Stallworth? I don't hear anyone crying the blues about what they've done to HUMAN BEINGS, but yet Vick who has paid his debt to society by serving time in a Federal Prison, and devoting his time non stop to the Humane Society to reach out to the youth to educate them on the dangers of dog fighting...While the other players listed have done nothing about their killing of HUMAN BEINGS...So I ask you ((MattGrindberg)), should the other players be banned for life as well??? And if so, why haven't you mentioned them? Why has Vick been ostracised so much more than his league mates who are enjoying a very fruitful life without any mention of their killing of HUMAN BEINGS???

Has a dog's life become so much more important than HUMAN BEINGS? Surely I would hate to think so

Posted by: babycas2000 | February 17, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Maybe mattgrindberg should go back to school and learn how to spell. Also while you are there maybe you should take a civics course which will teach about how debts to society are paid and maybe take an elective class in how to forgive and move forward.

Posted by: Florida_lou | February 17, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why Vick would've agreed to go on the Oprah show on the first place. Her show's demographic certainly isn't sympathetic to the Eagles' QB.

Posted by: randysbailin | February 17, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnFamiliarThought | February 17, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Wow.
Racism at it's finest? Isn't it the black people who are saying that dog fighting is a cultural thing? Thank God there are still civil people out there who will work hard to shut this stupid thing down and for the all the other things you mentioned regarding the horse racing and deer hunting, there are people trying to fix those wrongs also.
For the person who is concerned with the "human problems", what are you doing to help them?

Posted by: bax2010 | February 17, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Pretty much the same thing you're doing to stop and educate people on dog fighting...What people are "trying" to fix the wrongs with horce racing and deer hunting? I haven't heard of them, maybe you can educate us on them.......

Posted by: babycas2000 | February 17, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say that I value the life of a dog any more than that of a human being, but I don't value it any less either. The domesticated dog has been mankind's faithful companion for tens of thousands of years, and when someone deliberately and maliciously attacks that relationship, I see it as an affront on our moral character as human beings. There’s a major difference between those other two (not three – Lewis witnessed a stabbing and was charged with obstruction of justice) players you mentioned earlier, and the actions of Vick. While both Stallworth and Little did drive drunk and kill another person, they did it without premeditation or intent of violence, but I am not defending or condoning their actions in any way. And as long as the NFL has any sort of moral clause on the books, they should all be prevented from playing in the league as well. But Vick is a special case. Vick facilitated a massive dog fighting ring that involved dozens of people, across multiple states, with the sole purpose of seeing harm and death come to the animals unfortunate enough to be within those individuals’ control. Dogs were electrocuted, burned, suffocated, hanged, drowned, shot, stabbed and beaten to death – hundreds of them. Without sympathy or compassion, Vick knowingly subjugated the lives of innocent animals for his own amusement. That’s not the kind of human being I see worthy of redemption.

Posted by: AbqJoe | February 17, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

AbqJoe, I do agree with you on a few things, but the only thing that makes vick a special case was that at that time he was the highest paid player in the league...And to say that Little and Stallworth's killing's weren't premeditated is a little ridiculous...They both had been drinking, and got behind the wheel of a car...There are services for players who are too drunk to drive, to have someone pick them up and take them home...So they knew they weren't supposed to be driving drunk, but they did it anyway knowing the risk they were taking...Lewis got off like OJ, there were witnesses that seen Lewis do it, but that's besides the point...My point being that Vick shouldn't continue to be bashed for things that he's doing now...The guy has served his time, been punished by the law as well as the public...What do you think his kids have to hear? So for people saying that he should still be punished is highly hateful...What would you have him do if he couldn't play football anymore?

Posted by: babycas2000 | February 17, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

AbqJoe, I agree with you. I have two dogs of my own and so it pains me to see someone abuse animals. For me, I think the thing is, if Vick had so little regard for the lives of the animals, then what is the value on a human life to him? I think about that because I read about the ways he killed those dogs.

Posted by: VAtoLA | February 17, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

bax2010 You are a an idiot...I don't know how many people you've spoken with or of what interest they may hold to; but 'black people do not consider 'dog fighting to be a cultural interest' only a fool would think that and a bigger one to say so. After 60 plus years in my community I've not met one dog fighting person or know of anyone who has!

As to the author of this blog: to go on a popular TV show could be more than to say look at me. Please incite conversation not stupidity

Posted by: aypub | February 17, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

In my youth growing up in DC and the MD suberbs, I have sadly witnessed several dog fights. As a young person you experience things and participate in certain things because its accepted by your peers. I think Mike Vick falls into this category. I honestly don't believe he was as personally involved as the media portrays. But, he facilitated the operation and is just as guilty as his friends.

For me witnessing a few dog fights left me heart broke for those poor animals. The owners are heartless. Period!! It takes a cold person to operate in that business. But that goes hand in hand with someone who has to make hard choices to survive (selling drugs, robbery, etc.) That is why it was supposedly accepted in the "young/hip hop/urban black culture".

And when I say "young/hip hop/urban black culture" That represents a very small % of the black population. But that association is what sparked the outrage and anger at Vick. And part of it is flat out racism! That is a fact!

However, Vick paid his dues to society and is complying with all conditions imposed on him. Its over as far as I'm concerned!

Posted by: digger76 | February 17, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Has there ever been a more overpunished person than Mike Vick. The man fought dogs........so what! Don't white people race horses and shoot deer on TV? I see none of them incarcerated or shunned from society. Get off your high horses people. His punishment should have been......to be told to stop fighting dogs.

Two years in prison and the flack he is dealing with now is nothing more than racism at it's finest."

This is stupidity at its finest.

There is also the little forgotten fact that his was a pretty big operation or ring that involved large sums of illegal gambling. Also, he decided to lie to the feds, which probably had as much to do with his fairly harsh punishment as anything else.

So, while I don't feel sorry for Vick, I certainly recognize he has paid his debt to society and I actually like the Vick of today a helluva lot more than before. I also recognize that people who inject race into this topic and many others are idiots. People who try to play the moral equivalency game are equally idiotic.

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 17, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

There lies the racism genius. Racing horses is not illegal because it's a white form of entertainment, so the white legislature will not make it illegal. Sport hunting is white entertainment, so the white legislature will never make it illegal. However, dog fighting is frowed upon by the white majority.....so it's illegal. No more vicious than hunting for sport, hell they'll even put that on TV for kids to watch!

The racism is in the law making. So yeah, I'm aware that two are illegal and one is not. But I wonder why it is that way. Racism my friend.

Posted by: UnFamiliarThought | February 17, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, no it's not racism. It's a law. It doesn't say it's only illegal for black people to fight dogs - that would be racist. You're definition of racism is some made up concoction in your own mind. And, FYI, dogs are protected bc they have been bred for thousands of years to be human companions that require being taken care of by their owners. Fighting them and killing them is immoral. In a civilized society, it is necessary for such to be illegal.

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 17, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

So laws cannot be racist rphilli721? Crack having higher mandatory minimums than powder cocaine is not racist? Even though it's the same base drug? Really?

Posted by: UnFamiliarThought | February 17, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

So you insinuate that the crack laws were racist bc.....? No explaination there bc there are no rational explainations on why those laws were inherently racist. Again, a concoction you made up in your mind to fit your story on what "racism" is. A white dude selling crack was subject to the same sentencing guidlines I am fairly certain. Right?

I can, however, tell you what the purpose of those sentencing guidlines was and, that is, crack became an epidemic that was ruining lives and inciting violenc at an alarming pace due to the cheap highly addictive nature of the drug and the amount of money to be made selling it. The fact that it is the same base drug as cocaine is irrelevent bc they are not the same end product in price or addictability. Neither was the daily level of violence surrounding the distribution and dealing of crack. Were you alive during the crack epidemic during the 80's in DC? If you were, people were fleeing the city in droves and afraid to enter the city for dinner or night life or whatever. There is your answer as to why crack had higher sentencing guidlines. In case you can't deduce it, higher deterrants had to be put in place to stop the epidemic. It eventually worked. Cocaine, in powder form, has been distributed for a long time before and since the crack epidemic without the same impact on communities in general.

By your logic, moonshining is a racist law as well! Right? Or does that not fit your preconcieved story?

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 17, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"Dog fighting is ILLEGAL. Racing horses and shooting deer is not. Got it? Pretty simple.

Posted by: UnFamiliarThought"

Oh, I got it, racing horses is only enjoyed by white people huh? Wow...your ignorance is amazing. Also, last I checked racing horses has nothing to do with the torture, biting, maiming, and death or killing of a domesticated animal for the simple pleasure of sick people. Right? Just basic facts.

Sport hunting? Again, playing the moral equivalency game and losing at every turn. I love how only white people like horse racing and hunt and only black people deal crack and dog fight. You sir are the one with the racism problem. As far as hunting is concerned, I think that has been going on since the beginning of human existence. I don't agree with sport hunting, but then again it's not illegal and it doesn't involve cruelty and torturing of domesticated animals. And, hunters will tell you it is necessary for population control of certain animals. But, that doesn't make it's legality racist.

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 17, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Race never did have anything to do with the Michael Vick story. If Vick was purple it still would be horrible what he and his friends did. Quit using the race card. IT IS THE MEDIA that is choosing who they talk about. Vick's story is just as important as the other sports stars who commit serious crimes. They all need to be addressed. Like it or not kids look up to sports stars and a lot of them are not good role models. They have fame, fortune and adulation, yet a good number of them still do horrible things. It stinks. Getting back into professional sports should be a privilege. Then maybe these guys would think twice about committing a serious crime. Don't try to brush over what Vick and his friends did. They didn't just do dogfighting, they took it to a higher level and tortured and killed dogs and enjoyed watching them suffering as they died. It is so sick and disturbing it is beyond comprehension. I know it is time to move on from this because Vick has paid his legal dues but it is a sickness that still goes on and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of which it is now being taken seriously. There are all kinds of horrible things that are being done to humans and animals on a daily basis and they should be addressed on a daily basis. A lot of horrible things have been done by people who use the excuse that it was the culture they grew up in. People know exactly when they are doing something cruel and no one is forcing them to do it. We probably won't know if Vick gets how sick and twisted he was towards his dogs until he is out of football. Will he show humility and still speak out against animal cruelty. We will have to wait and see if he goes back to his old self as time goes on and he keeps making more money and keeps getting praised for everything. I agree that felons should learn humility for the rest of their lives. Their cockiness is what got them into trouble in the first place.

Posted by: jecornett | February 17, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Trying to make it right.

Posted by: raschenbrand | February 22, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse