Posted at 2:15 PM ET, 02/ 5/2011

Penguins center Evgeni Malkin suffers torn ACL, MCL

By Cindy Boren

Pittsburgh Penguins center Evgeni Malkin tore his medial collateral and anterior cruciate ligaments in a collision with Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers on Friday night.

"Evgeni Malkin had an MRI this morning," Coach Dan Bylsma said, via the Associated Press. "The results show that he has a torn MCL and ACL. At this point in time we are discussing options with the doctors on what to do next. ... Surgery is a possibility. I'm not sure if there is a rehab possibility. But right now I just got the news on the MRI."

Malkin was playing in his first game since missing five games with a left knee injury and sinus infection.

"This is a difficult injury for him," Bylsma said. "It was kind of a fluke situation going into the boards with a guy. That's a tough injury for Geno. We have dealt with games without him. We've managed to find our way without him. That's what we're going to have to look at now."

The Pens are already without Sidney Crosby, who's missed 12 games with a concussion.

By Cindy Boren  | February 5, 2011; 2:15 PM ET
Categories:  NHL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Super Bowl XLV: Ice injures workers; weather messes with Texas
Next: Super Bowl XLV snapshots: Erik Walden ailing; Dorian Brooks activated

Comments

Ouch. Tough break for Malkin and the Penguins. I'm a Caps fan all the way, but hate to see guys get hurt, especially ones as skilled and exciting as Malkin.

But injuries are part of the game, and now we'll see how well Crosby -- when he gets back -- can manage with most of the defensive attention on him.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | February 5, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the Pens will blame the Caps somehow. Sorry to hear about the injury, Malkin has a long rehab road in front of him.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 5, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

may he return soon so that the rest of the league can flip him off in good health

Posted by: j762 | February 5, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

100% Caps fan, but hate to see ANY athlete injured

Posted by: mjwesq | February 5, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

100% Caps fan, but hate to see ANY athlete injured

Posted by: mjwesq | February 5, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Caps fan as well....but I hate to see any athlete go down with an injury like this.

I've blown my knee out like he did, I understand his road ahead.

I do hope he makes it back and into top form...so, we can beat him again...that is satisfaction, beating your rival when they are in top form, not depleted by injuries.

My guess: he's out a solid year for surgery and rehab

Posted by: arioch666 | February 5, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I blame George Bush.

or

Global Warming.

Posted by: hanks1 | February 5, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Long time Pens fan, signing in to give a shout out to the Caps fans, who are always classy at Verizon Center and are showing it in the above comments!

Posted by: erouscg | February 5, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I would be ok with him being knocked out due to a devastating check by Ovechkin, but this is a bummer of a way to go out. No one wants to see a top athlete succumb to such an unfortunate set of injuries. Hopefully he'll be back in time for next season (so #8 can smack him around).

Posted by: 1fasthoo | February 5, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

You want to beat them when they are @ their best & you are @ your best.

Best wishes for speedy recovery Malkin!

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 6, 2011 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Ouch. Nobody deserves knee injuries. I've watched both my folks replace their knees, and that ain't no fun.

Recover soon Geno. Tomorrow won't be near as fun to watch with Malkin and Crosby out.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: jjhare | February 6, 2011 4:06 AM | Report abuse

I hate the Penguins just as much as the rest, but seeing any athlete go down like that is not good. Here's to a speedy and full recovery to both Malkin and Crosby.

Posted by: Ve1ostrummer | February 6, 2011 4:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm a huge Caps fan, but don't like to see any team lose a player like that. We want the Pens 100% healthy when we beat them in the playoffs. Good luck Geno.

Posted by: gs12 | February 6, 2011 7:29 AM | Report abuse

That does suck. Never want to see anybody get hurt like that from any team. Hope for a full and speedy recovery Malkin!!

That being said, f the pens and GO CAPS!!

Posted by: tnand | February 6, 2011 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Diehard caps fan here. Very sorry to hear abouy Malkin. Hope he gets well soon and comes back 100%.

And the same for Sid The Kid. I'm an OV fan but I admit I love watching Sid play hockey. Hope he is back soon too!

Posted by: bushido11 | February 6, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I will take full responsibility for both injuries! Oh, the burden of such powers! Which Voodoo doll should I make now?

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 6, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

going to the game in Red, but would have preferred to see Sid and Malkin healthy and playing.

Posted by: cperks | February 6, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Well, as the only Caps fan here who doesn't like the Penguins, screw Crosby and Malkin. The NHL helped them to cheat their way to a Cup in 2009. I hope they get all the bad luck and injuries they can possibly get. Is it better to beat a healthier Penguins team? Absolutely, but I lose no sleep over their misfortunes. I'm more worried about the Caps turning their game around completely and stringing some wins together.

I hope Malkin and Crosby are out for months, and subsequently, that the Penguins will miss the playoffs or lose out early.

By the way, I'm sick of hearing Steckel being blamed for Crosby's concussion, in part or completely, by the media. Crosby came back and played - which would have been irresponsible on his part, if he had suffered a concussion by Stex in the Winter Classic. Malkin came back after missing several games previously and got injured, by someone I consider to be a big goon. Boo-freaking-hoo.

Meanwhile, Matt Cooke has become a dirty player since joining the Penguins, and continues to run over people, as does Orpik and a bunch of other unsavory characters on the Pens' team. No lost love here.

Posted by: fbutler1 | February 6, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

After the dirty check by Cooke today, I hope we go after Crosby next game -- and hit him legally, just like Steckel did.

Pens suck. Caps rock!

Hope this win bodes well for a Packers win tonight.

Posted by: hanks1 | February 6, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse