Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 1:06 PM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Report: NFL knew seating snafu was possible days before Super Bowl

By Cindy Boren

The NFL knew of a potential problem with temporary seats at Super Bowl XLV as early as the middle of last week but decided not to alert fans, league executives told the Dallas Morning News.

The league, executives said, thought they had "a very good shot" at fixing the problems with the Cowboys Stadium seats and did not know which seats would be affected.

"We made a judgment that it was the right course of action to bring the fans in, rather than to discourage them or create a sense that they wouldn't have the information necessary," Eric Grubman, the NFL's executive vice president of business ventures, told the Morning News.

About 1,250 ticket holders were affected, prompting an apology and promise of further review by Commissioner Roger Goodell. Nearly 850 were relocated to other seats; the rest, who could watch the game on monitors at the stadium, will be given refunds of triple the tickets' $800 face value.

Officials gave no further information, other than to say that icy and snowy weather in Dallas was not an issue. Nor was setting an attendance record -- the game fell less than 1,000 short .

"The attendance record was not the goal," Grubman said. "The goal was to use this great building in a way that showcased the NFL, showcased North Texas and showcased the great players we have in the NFL."

By Cindy Boren  | February 7, 2011; 1:06 PM ET
Categories:  Super Bowl XLV  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Super Bowl XLV was most-watched show in TV history
Next: Jerry Jones issues statement on Super Bowl ticket mess

Comments

" ... Eric Grubman, the NFL's executive vice president of business ventures, ..."

Outstanding last name for a person holding that job title.

Posted by: dcsween | February 7, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

It is unbeleivable that the NFL knew about the "missing seats" and didn't hit the press last week offering refunds at the same rate and then people could have changed cancelled their trip and avoided hotel and air costs. It get more insulting every new detail you hear.

Posted by: tcostant | February 7, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

it was an nfl scam from the beginning---those fans should sue for big money.

Posted by: Socialistic | February 7, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company