Posted at 11:50 AM ET, 02/10/2011

The hits just keep coming over Dan Snyder's City Paper lawsuit

By Cindy Boren

In the continuing fallout over the lawsuit filed by Daniel Snyder against Washington City Paper and its parent companies, every day delivers another headline and, usually, another lead that's a blow to the gut of Redskins fans.

Let's start with a gentle swipe by the New York Times. Toni Monkovic in the Fifth Down blog questions the owner's PR strategy.

It's hard to imagine any American sports owner having had a rougher past two weeks than Jerry Jones, much less a fellow one from the N.F.C. East.
But darn if Dan Snyder of the Redskins didn't give it a try.

Earlier in the week, back when Jones' snafu-ridden Super Bowl was all the talk, David Carr, a former WCP editor who now writes a column for the Times, blistered Snyder:

The complaint manages to sound both haughty and wounded, suggesting City Paper "crossed every line of ethics and decency." What the newspaper seems really guilty of is picking a target with a lot of time and money on his hands. It is the off-season, after all.

The Wall Street Journal's Law Blog questions the lawsuit's allegations of anti-Semitism with this lead:

It's not easy being a Cleveland Browns fan.
But it might be preferable to being a Washington Redskins fan.

Meantime, U.S. News and World Report said Snyder is on the verge of becoming "pro sports' Christine O'Donnell."

As the headlines and links to the original story pile up, the PR abyss deepens (and the WCP legal defense fund grows). Snyder seems perilously close to being at the "it-couldn't-hurt" point of trying any solution. Next stop: Costanzaland, where, "if every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right."

By Cindy Boren  | February 10, 2011; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruins, Canadiens brawl or ... we're gonna need a bigger penalty box
Next: Cam Newton shows the media his skills

Comments

honestly, i have to say that it is getting tougher and tougher to stay loyal to this team...

Posted by: pastorbobs | February 10, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Snyder and Jones are cut from the same cloth and get everything they both deserve.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 10, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Boycott burgundy!

Posted by: bs2004 | February 10, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Snyder is officially a national disgrace. As for comparisions to J. Jones, well, Jones has won 3 Super Bowls and built a state of the art stadium. Snyder? Well, he's made lots of money off Skins fans, but otherwise driven the franchise into a ditch.

Posted by: dbunkr | February 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Umm, Ray, Jones won 3 Super Bowls in his first 10 years of ownership. What were Snyder's accomplishments in his first 10 years? The 2 men are not comparable at all.

Posted by: sleastacks | February 10, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

As Jason Reid pointed out yesterday, even if Snyder wins, he loses. If you would set YOURSELF up in a position that even if you win, you lose...

wouldn't you do the same to your employees? After all, leadership trickles down. Perhaps this theory is wrong. But then again, just look at the teams record.

Signed,

Mr.Hiatus

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | February 10, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

No business struggles more than newspapers these days, not even a sports team...good luck with that.

Posted by: sdtxyz | February 10, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I mean, really. Boycott burgundy. I call on everyone not to purchase Redskins jerseys, boeuf bourgignon, little red Corvettes, blood sausage, and blood diamonds!

Smash Snyder and his media sycophants! Hagiography! Sharia law! Lindsay Lohan!

Yeagh!

Posted by: bs2004 | February 10, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

---posted by 20yrsskinsfan...

Um...The Cardinals won the Super Bowl and their owner has long been known to be inept.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 10, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Just donated $5 to the City Paper's Legal Defense Fund. Hope everyone wh oreads about this in every possibly media outlet does the same. Go David, beat Goliath!

Posted by: DCSec112 | February 10, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

---------
Uh....THE CARDINALS LOST THEIR ONLY SUPER BOWL APPEARANCE TO PITTSBURGH IN SUPER BOWL 43! SORRY!

AND FOR THOSE OTHER SO CALLED REDSKINS FANS THAT WANT DAN SNYDER TO SELL THE TEAM...GO AND BECOME A CINCINNATI BENGALS FAN. I HEARD THAT MIKE BROWN IS THE BEST OWNER AN NFL FAN COULD HAVE....

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | February 10, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 10, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________________

Um...The Cardinals have never won the Super Bowl they did play in it a couple years ago finally. But for the better part of the Bidwell ownership of the Cardinals they have sucked plain and simple. And for the better part of Snyder's ownership the Skins have sucked. Although the Skins sucked even before Snyder bought the team fans seem to forget how bad they were since Gibbs 1 retired.

Posted by: wstclair | February 10, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before, but it bears repeating, let's all get over this notion that "Daniel Snyder is a brilliant businessman who just doesn't know how to run a football team." This is one of the biggest myths in town.

Daniel Snyder is a TERRIBLE businessman who nevertheless, through a combination of timing, questionable business practices (like "slamming") as outlined in the WCP article, and just plain luck, made a billion dollars.

He does not exhibit any understanding any of the basic tenets of business, including asset management, human resources, finance, customer relations, legal, negotiating strategy or communications, just to name a few.

Yes, Dan Snyder has a billion dollars, but I'd wager that most LOTTO winners have more character, integrity and common sense.

Posted by: jksesq1 | February 10, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's revolt against this oppressive regime...seems to be vogue lately!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 10, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I am a fool for actually thinking this monkey Synder would actually make a change for the better. I have been a fan of the Skins and the Ravens... I do not care if the Skins lose per say, but Synder has made a mockery of a once proud organization, the players and most importantly, its fan base. I would hate to leave the skins as a fan, but seriously, this owner is a fool and a half.

Synder - Change the name of the time if you are so worried about "Antisemitism" and racism.

Posted by: fusionrace | February 10, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The best thing for Snyder to do:

Rather than continue to file lawsuits, Snyder should work to ensure that the Redskins become and remain a playoff contender! This strategy worked very well for late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

When he bought the Redskins, Snyder pledged to bring the team back into contention. Alas, sadly, that just hasn't happened...instead all we get is a series of moves aimed at extracting more money out of suffering Redskins' fans. Hence it's no surprise that embarrassing articles keep popping up in the City Paper, etc., not to mention the New York Times. Wonder if he'll sue the Wall Street Journal when something embarrassing gets into print there!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 10, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I favor the George Costanza strategy. Stick with the opposite, Snyder.

Posted by: loux24 | February 10, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has a mental problem.

Posted by: boog44 | February 10, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you with complete confidence that I will no longer do anything that puts even a cent in $nyder's pocket. Perhaps I'll stay a loyal but absent fan and follow Green Bay much closer. That team represents what the NFL should be like. And the team very well may be the next dynasty. It is just getting too hard to support DS and any financial support of the 'skins is doing exactly that. I wish their was a mechanism to ouster our owner. Maybe 800,000 fans each coughing up 2 grand - Damn that man's got a lot of money. I just can't see this team ever being any good with Danny boy at the helm. I think Riggo's really got him pegged and that's a damn shame. Just over 40 years as a die hard fan and I am truly feed up!

Posted by: mgginva | February 10, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Haters, Haters, Haters.....

Posted by: weaverf | February 10, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I have been trying for the last decade to give up on the Skin's because of this idiot... I mean, its not like a coach or gm that I don't like, I can't hope he will be fired. But for some damn reason every year I keep supporting them and trying to pretend he doesn't exist until he does something stupid like this, or otherwise just opens his mouth.

Posted by: soriphius | February 10, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Even rich people are entiled to be treated just like everyone else. I see a lot of transferance, upset with the skins and therefore upset with the owner. If you read the wcp article you would see the author resorts to bashing the owner with truths, lies, and half truths while dragging Snyders family into it merely to make up for a lack of journalistic talent. I've tried three different times to read the whole article but it is so disjoined and haphazard that I lose track of the point of the article. He charges Brett Haber of conflict of interrest, Sonny Jurgersen of incompetence, and probably I for being a bad fan for supporting my home town team.
Mr. Dave McKenna needs to get a real job, one that he can handle since his prior work fails to impress.

Posted by: BAFROG | February 10, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

To quote the infamous Dr. Smith, 'Oh the pain. The pain.'

Posted by: TerpInTime | February 10, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,
Before you get on the bandwagon with Brett Haber and start waving the flag around you should know that Haber's petition was an unmitigated failure. Less than two thousand signatures, may duplicates, more than a few supportting Snyders action, and over ninty percent bashing Snyder and the redskins, not WCP. I beleive you call that transferance, upset over one thing so taking offense over anything else associated with that person.

Posted by: BAFROG | February 10, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

have said it before and i'll say it again..jerry Jones and dannyboy are exactly alike and cannot win because if it....meaning that if the point make, buck stops here is the owner and not a football man, the players know at the end of the day who they really answer to. At least parcells when he left because JJ push TO onto team, left them with anough talent to compete. but there owner insist on weekly/daily press conferences on state of the team, walks the sidelines during games and does a ervything cowboys radio show.. but neither can win as long as they are as close to the team as they are. even with Shanny, the players deep down inside know that he'll only get 2-3 years himself to right the ship and synder signs the checks. You need this scenerio, in this order to win in today's NFL.....

1)Coach/GM
2) GM /coach
3) players that are leaders
4) good ownership

...If 4 becomes before either of the top three, it simply cannot work more then maybe lightning in a bottle, 1 out of 43 years arizona cardinals....Your point man, buck stops here has to be the coach and a gm that knows talent and doesn't look for ways to undercut the coach(s)(insert vinny cerato) but works with coach to get needs/players and not simply names(snyrado)......in other words as we know, we are pretty much hosed as long as this creep owns this team

Posted by: klangley69 | February 10, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I've said in the past and I'll say it again, as long as Danny boy owns the Redskins, they will NEVER win anything, let him rant and rave all he wants, it's his money and he can do whatever he wants, that's what all spoiled kids do.

Posted by: aim19541 | February 10, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I dislike the owner of the redskins slightly less than the media in this area.

Posted by: mikeyva44 | February 10, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Synder is a curse to the Redskins, wish he would just sell the team.

Posted by: instinct227 | February 10, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I been a redskins fan 40 years .Nothin will ever change with him there.I can say after this last year i gave up.Wished the NFL and Washington area could force him to sell. Movin on pull for any one they play.

Posted by: mikes2760 | February 10, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm a lifelong Redskins fan. But you know what? Pitchers and catchers report next week. At this point, I'm looking forward to summer evenings at Nats Park watching Danny Espinosa, Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman help move the team toward respectability. But then, fall will be here and it will time for me to get excited - yet again - about the upcoming Redskins season and their new (fill in the blank with overpaid) players who will help them win the division crown in 2011.

Posted by: dcnationals1 | February 10, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I AM NOT A WITCH! I AM NOT A WITCH!

Posted by: pejochum | February 10, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Washington held hostage 4279 days.

Posted by: VAALEX | February 10, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, please watch those "Costanzaland" comments! Everyone knows George Constanza was on SEINFELD. So, you are edging perilously close to a certain someone's idea of anti-semitism....

Posted by: lovinliberty | February 10, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Dan! For a 6 figure salary, I'll come aboard as your Common Sense Advisor. Come on man. Let's make it happen! ;)

Posted by: Rahwaj | February 10, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

As a born-and-bred Washingtonian (in the City itself, not the burbs), I have of course been a Skins fan my entire life. I fondly remember the glory days of the 80s, the Hogs, the Smurfs, the Fun Bunch, and all the other goofy stuff that made it fun to be a fan, including an owner who didn't meddle.

I am with all of those who have preceded me in saying that I will not go to a game, buy a jersey or anything else, until Daniel Snyder is gone. Money that finds its way into Danny's pocket is money wasted.

I will continue to root for the team because you support your hometown team. Period.

But everyone is right in saying that Snyder sure is making it harder and harder for us to contunue to even root for the Skins.

Posted by: njacobs | February 10, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Let me add one other thing:

Jack Kent Cooke must be rolling in this !@#$%^&* grave as he watches the team he built be systematically destroyed.

Posted by: njacobs | February 10, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunate, it seems from reading some of the comments posted about about Dan Synder vs the WCP do not understand the definition of Libel. While the first Ammendment of the Constitution guarantees freedom of speech, it does not protect publishers from libel. Newspaper and other forms of publications are powerful tools that can do a lot of damage from untruths, and that power is curtailed by the prohibition of libel by publishers or the media. My opinion may be in the minority, but then I don't sound off like some of the readers who appear not have any opinion of their own, and seem to enjoy hearing themselves sound off just for the sake of it or perhaps from envy.
I am fully in support of Dan Snyder suing the newspaper. Enough of the Snyder bashing and ridiculus criticsm of him. No one has the right to castigate Dan Snyder just because he has money. Yes! he's made mistakes about a lot of things, but it cannot be said of him that he does not wish the best for his team. I would like to know how many of these people would be willing to stand and take all of the none-sense that has been written about Dan Snyder simply because they don't like him for who he is.

Enough is Enough. My suggestion for those disgruntled people is to please do the rest of us a favor and get off the wagon if they don't like Dan Snyder. Nobody has the right to deride somebody else and they certainly have no business trying to get anyone else to buy into their opinion or follow in their despicable leads.

Posted by: Labamba2 | February 10, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wstclair | February 10, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Gibbs 1 retired with the Skins losing in the Divisional Playoff game to the 49ers.

Posted by: clark202 | February 10, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link for the City Paper's defense fund:

Posted by: eric22 | February 10, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Gee whiz, Why can't they leave the guy alone? All he wants is to create a winner here. Sure he's made mistakes, but he never fails to put his money where his mouth is!
He is a very smart man, and I'm sure he will do it.

Posted by: sanfordflg | February 10, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet Danny was always chosen last as a kid when it came to picking teams.

Posted by: FLvet | February 10, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Enough is Enough, all you're doing is trying to justify your own miserable lives by breaking down a man, whom none of you have even sat and talked to. If you don't like him or his team then go, leave, stop being a fan. Jump on any bandwagon that makes you feel better. If you can do any better buy a team and stop your complaining.

Posted by: ptown31 | February 10, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptown31 | February 10, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Yo Labamba2:

Before you get on here and lecture people about the definition of libel, why don't you read what legal experts have to say about this topic. Most, if not all, legal experts I have seen quoted on this topic expect the case to get thrown out of court almost immediately. And thank goodness that your opinion on this is in the minority. The last thing this country needs is more people thinking they can act like Dan Snyder and get away with it.

Posted by: bcp76 | February 10, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm a lifelong redskins fan (since the age of 7 in 1972), and I'm ready to start having Reskins jersey burning parties!

Posted by: jeffc6578 | February 10, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSec112 | February 10, 2011 12:44 PM

GREAT! That will pay for a cup of coffee for one of the paper's moving men.

Posted by: peauxsucent888 | February 10, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

jksesq1 - DAMN GOOD POST!!!!

Posted by: oknow1 | February 10, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

HIATUS! Snyder has finally gone too far. He does not own the media!

Posted by: trou8ble | February 10, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Why root for the Redskins when you can root for the Ravens and see all the games free on TV?

Posted by: ftlmikeflorida | February 10, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else think "weaverf" is a Snyder employee/sycophant?

Posted by: jschafin2 | February 10, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick and tired of this crap. Look the City Paper doesn't need help, financial or lip service. The letter they wrote back to the Snyder legal team plainly states they intend to represent the paper and the reporter to the fullest extent of the law.

1) There's nothing that the reporter from the City Paper did IMO that was wrong.
2) Dan Snyder took offense to it, and claims that it was wrong and wants to take the paper to court. It's a free country.
3) Let a judge decide the issue.

If the paper feels it was right, (Dude who wrote the article was dead on BTW), then they'll have their day in court. I don't see what the big deal is.

The only thing I see is that reporters are circling the wagons around the City Paper, because they want the free license to do the exact same thing the writer for the City Paper did, and not get checked on it. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it to. You say things about people, especially about the wrong person, there is a chance you'll get popped in the mouth (figuratively speaking of course).

To Dan Snyder, if you stop acting like an owner and as though you know anything about football, the team would do better. Just come out and say, "Look, I thought running a football team would be like the video game. I'll leave the team in the hands of Bruce Allen." Then Dan go into your hole and come out every Feb. 2 and ask, "How'd we do?" We'll let you know, then you go back into your hole.

I just hate how this thing is playing out and how everyone is coming out into the wood work about Snyder. True Snyder deserves some of the criticism, but there's a limit. I mean, there's a reporter from Cleveland adding his two cents, CLEVELAND, Really? A town who hasn't won a football title since Jim Brown played, let alone been to a Super Bowl. And now I just love how the New York press is carpetbagging the situation. This comes from an area who wants the head of one coach every year, even though he got them their first title since '90, three years ago. They have players who shoot themselves in the leg at night clubs, and have another coach who is torn between football and toe jam. Yes, all pinnacles of excellence in all things football, Cleveland, New York, and Dallas. Yes please, show us the way.

Posted by: clark202 | February 10, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

And how about sanfordflg and ptown31? Toadies.

Posted by: jschafin2 | February 10, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

WSJ had this in an article:
"Virginia congressman Jim Moran, who moved to Washington in the 1970s and instantly became a fan of the team, says the mismanagement and commercialization of the franchise has robbed it of its meaning to him. 'I find it very difficult to root for the Redskins these days,' he says. 'A team should stand for something … the Washington fans are great, but Snyder doesn't deserve them.'"

TRADE SNYDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE, IF YOU'RE REALLY A FAN, SELL THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Mr. Hiatus!!!

"If the leader is a loser, the team will never win. So I deliver you the definition of a new type of fan.

The "HIATUS" fan. This fan is a fan in spirit but not in his/her wallet. This fan will root for the team but won't spend a nickel on it. This fan is consciously sending a message to the owner in 2011 saying ... "when you go...I'll be back". Until then, we're in hiatus..."

Signed,

Mr.Hiatus

Posted by: SF301PG | February 10, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I've got no problem with the way Snyder is handling this. The article was rubbish and full of conjecture. It was uninformative and oftentimes petty. It was clear that it was written by a man with a grudge. I'm only surprised it took Snyder this long to file the suit. With any luck, WCP will go out of business and all the 20-somethings will have to read a real newspaper or get their news from a legitimate outlet.

Now, this does not mean I support the way Snyder has run the Redskins since buying them 12 years ago. It does mean, however, that I am able to separate my disdain for the way the Skins have been run from my views about Snyder's legitimate right to protect himself and his family from falsehoods.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I used to feel sorry for the Raider fans, then I realized most will out-live their owner.

Posted by: wireman65 | February 10, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sleastacks

========================================

That's true but for the first ten years Jones was every much the arrogant, meddling jackwagon Snyder is. My opinion of Jones has mellowed somewhat after he expressed regret over how badly he treated Tom Landry.

Posted by: bbface21 | February 10, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

SMASH THE REDSKIN BANDWAGON! UP THE ANTE! REVOLUTION! PITCHFORKS! TORCHES! SEE YA IN LOS ANGELES! GO, L.A. RED WAVE!

Posted by: bs2004 | February 10, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

WSJ had this in an article:

Posted by: SF301PG | February 10, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

Was Moran drunk yet when he made those comments?

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I am done with Snyder. No more buying anything Redskins related. It's unfathomable how one man can turn the fan experience so rotten so fast. When that monstrosity of a stadium is half empty next year, Snyder might finally get it.

Posted by: John_Keats | February 10, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sleastacks
============================================
They are the same men, the only difference, He was lucky enough to stumble on getting Jimmy Johnson to coach the team. But like egotistical, self-absorbed, control freak that he is, ruined his relationship, and he hasn't done squat since. And the 1 SB he won under Barry was still Jimmy's team.

Posted by: clark202 | February 10, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This is a shining example of why you never take on the media. You just can't win. It doesn't matter if you are right or not. I think it's comical that newspapers use the opinions of other newspapers to back up their position. What is lost is that the WCP did publish a factually incorrect piece about Daniel Snyder and the Redskins. It accused him of a felony. It refused to retract the statement and apologize. You can argue all you want whether Snyder should have gone after them (I tend to think he was extremely stupid for doing it only because it left him open for attacks and gave more attention to the stupid article than it did originally.) or not but don't lose the fact that these media outlets can say anything they want and get away with it. If you found yourself being accused of a felony I have a feeling you would not feel much differently than Snyder did/does.

And, of course, other newspapers are going to defend this kind of behavior. They don't want to have to worry about whether the information they report is 100% true or not. They want to be able to continue printing the accusations in bold type on page 1 and printing vague retractions in tiny type on the bottom of page 6. And they certainly don't want to have to worry about paying monetary damages.

But Danny has done so many things that reflect negatively on himself that people are too blinded by hate to notice that.

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 10, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Everyday, Snyder employees show up on various comment lines to defend the indefensible. See the one above- "he has a legitimate right to protect himself and his family from falsehoods". This is pathetic- where are the falsehoods? Where are the attacks on his family? No need to name names, we can see who the sycophantic toadies are on here.

Posted by: justmike | February 10, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Labamba2
@lingering_lead

Synder is a public figure. To that end, as SCOTUS established in the Sullivan and Westmoreland cases, the threshhold of proof is much higher. For Snyder's suit to succeed, he would have to be able to prove that City Paper knowingly published something they knew to be false.

Having read the article, it seems very well researched and well sourced. Further, the incidents listed in the piece have been in the public for some time and had not previously been disputed. So now, all of a sudden, these stories are false? And even if they are, remember, Snyder has to prove that City Paper KNEW they were wrong and published anyway.

There is next to no way Snyder wins this case.

Posted by: njacobs | February 10, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The Post is not going to print anything favorable about a libel suit against a newspaper. There but for the grace of their lawyers goes the Post. Similarly, no other paper will speak well of it. My guess is that candid interviews with NFL owners would show strong support for him, if it matters to you.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 10, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: justmike | February 10, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

---------------

Dude, I'm no toadie. I'm a frustrated former season ticket holder. But, I have the mental acuity to separate the team's operations from the owner's lawsuit(s). I do not work for Snyder. The WCP article explicitly printed falsehoods (the claim he violated the Maryland Clean Indoor Air Act). It explicitly printed conjecture (wondering aloud if Snyder was behind the fake name Andyman). It took Snyder to task for "not thinking through the simple economics of pro football." Yet Snyder has the highest grossing team and the second richest NFL franchise. All of this amounts to actionable conduct. Snyder took action. Big deal.

But please don't try to denigrate those of us who can actually see through the WashPo and Brett Haber BS.

When you've got a weak brain, your mind is narrow.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

As a Jew, I am embarrassed that Dan Snyder follows all the ugly stereotypes assigned to Jews (money-grubbing, pushy, arrogant).

Please, Mr. Snyder, change religions.

Posted by: password11 | February 10, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

It is a pity that the Post needs to hire people to post comments to defend its own position. Of course, it could be Jason and Cindy, I'm sure the computer people will fake as many names as they want. But poor grammar by some Post defenders, such as justmike, makes me think it is outsourced to India.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 10, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@lingering_lead

Wow. So you are a libel expert and an environmental expert. Impressive.

Posted by: njacobs | February 10, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Boycott the games and don't buy the merchandise. We can walys root from home. Snyder sucks!!

Posted by: mofares | February 10, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Poor grammar! Are you effing kidding me??? And believe me, the Post has no need to pay anyone to dump on Snyder- we are all volunteers. What's funny is that all you Snyder lackeys are pretending to be defending your hero against the Post and the CP, when in reality you are denigrating the 95% of us who feel the same way about him. I ought to sue your ass for libel!

Posted by: justmike | February 10, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@njacobs... While I agree with your sentiment (and I'm not an attorney), I do believe the author's statement that the Montecristo Club is "a clear violation of the law" may get him in some trouble. He had already taken PG County to task several times regarding the cigar bar at FedEx Field. He was told - and reported on it - in July, 2010 that Snyder had been granted an exception from PG County. McKenna didn't like the explanation and spent several articles talking about it. However, I believe because the PG County Health Department was tasked with enforcing the Clean Air Act in PG County, and Snyder was granted an exception from PG County, that McKenna's claim he was clearly violating the law may be misleading at best, and false at worst.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

nobody gets hurt for just watching a football team on tv !
but if you spend time and money on gas,parking,metro,sodas,beer,hotdogs,and memorabilia then it sucks is a waste!
let's just watch! the curse will never end as long as dummysnyder remains the owner nothing will change period

Posted by: GUS2001 | February 10, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I remind all hate-Snyder trolls as follows:

Snyder will be the owner another forty years. He has made the Redskins the second most profitable franchise, and most of that money is in revenue streams you can't touch. Accept it, that if you are over forty, you will never see another Redskins owner.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 10, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@lingering_lead

Wow. So you are a libel expert and an environmental expert. Impressive.

Posted by: njacobs | February 10, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

Thank you kind Sir or Madam. I do appreciate your snarkiness. It must be fun to think of yourself as being above others. I presume by now you've read my more adult response to your earlier comments and perhaps that has shed some further light on my thinking. I will of course, defer to your better judgement.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I get it now. Snyder is above criticism because he's rich. And everyone who doesn't acknowledge that is an internet troll. Wow, in 1776 I guess you guys would have been loyal supporters of King George.

Posted by: justmike | February 10, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Here's a very lengthy analysis of Snyder's unbelievable idiocy:

Posted by: sad_fan-mad_fan | February 10, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 10, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Good I will go to my grave hating the Redskins and not supporting them.

Why should I give a rats ass if they are profitable or not?

Posted by: dcinmd1 | February 10, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Dear Dan.

Thanks for making me look like a reasonable, lovable paragon of sports ownership.

Regards,

Peter Angelos

Posted by: js_edit | February 10, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: justmike | February 10, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

Keep digging. We denigrate those who deserve it. Many times, it's been Snyder himself. This time, it's all you lemmings out there who refuse to stop your blind hatred of all things Snyder from clouding your views of this lawsuit, which is not part and parcel with running the Redskins.

We can keep going back and forth, but I fear your ad hominem arguments will prevent any positive discourse.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Good I will go to my grave hating the Redskins and not supporting them.

Why should I give a rats ass if they are profitable or not?

Posted by: dcinmd1 | February 10, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Well, for starters the 'article' in question stated that Snyder had failed at "the simple economics of pro football."

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Here's some ad hominem for you- your unpleasantness is exceeded only by your arrogance. And with that- adieu!

Posted by: justmike | February 10, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Let's not be surprised when the press finds it outragous when an owned sues the media. I think the law suit is a bad idea to, but no way would hany media outlet as a good idea, even if Snyder was correct. It basic self preservation.

Posted by: tcostant | February 10, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Suggest all Redskins fans at the next home game just start chanting in unison, "Snyder is a fool" and not stop until the game is over. That will probably make him so mad that he just keels over....

Posted by: Revo1 | February 10, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I believe the Cardinal win may be referring to the baseball team and Margaret Schott (sp?).

I believe that all the stories in the WCP had been previously reported in the WP, McKenna just drew them all togethemr. I mean the parking fiasco both are FedEx and the amusement park he owns (or owned). I know he did a great job managing that.

I have to say that he put his money where his mouth is and paid lots of money for some terrible players, it's not like he didn't try to buy success. And Bruce Allen, if it weren't for the name. Problem is in sports there is no way to get instant success, you have to build up and as Redskin fans we're too impatient. I don't even watch the games anymore, why get upset at stupid mistakes.

Posted by: cjride | February 10, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Blah blah blah blah and more blah blah blah. Total nonsense all around!!!

Posted by: ladyredskins | February 10, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know of an article by a Yale economist who, after examining the economics of the NFL, concludes that while the Patriots -- headed by Belichick, an economics major at Wesleyan, a very good school -- do just about everything right, from a fiscal standpoint, the Redskins have done nothing but wrong? And that the fact that the 'Skins aren't bankrupt is a reflection of fan irrationality?

Posted by: sad_fan-mad_fan | February 10, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

How is the helicopter or the guest house a sign of Snyder's failure? How is Smokin' Al Koken's unflattering nickname (Dan-Jazeera) for the Redskins' owner's media operation a sign of Snyder's failure? Why talk about the lawsuit against Pat Hill without talking about how it was dropped? How was Snyder selling his communications company for $3 billion a sign of his failure? It goes on and on. If McKenna had actually just kept his hatred bottled up and focused on the football field, the article would be spot-on. Unfortunately, it fails to do so and the overall product suffers.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

As owner, Dan Snyder decided that he wanted to be active in the team's football decision making rather than stay in the background. For good or bad, this put him in the limelight. Now he can't handle the heat from his poor decisions.

Posted by: jgllo | February 10, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

For a long time, the nastiest, loudest, most egocentric owner in sports was George Steinbrenner.

Then came Peter Angelos -- no more loathsome owner exists, having destroyed one of the classiest franchises in the history of sports.

Now, coming up fast on the inside is DAN SNYDER!

Posted by: JPMcC | February 10, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgllo | February 10, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The only way to deal with Snyder is to boycott the team. Stop buying their goods, stop watching their games. Bring down a tyrant 101. Anything less isn't being serious.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | February 10, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Wish more fans were like this fellow:

Maybe then Snyder would get it ... His mistreatment of people, including fans, is a reflection of his nauseatingly cynical view that anyone can be bought. So no worries over burning bridges to which money can be tossed when needed ...

Posted by: sad_fan-mad_fan | February 10, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Now that the NFL season has ended, reaction to Snyder's lawsuit has become the gift that keeps on giving.

Posted by: BB703 | February 10, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I remind all hate-Snyder trolls as follows:

Posted by: Nemo24601

============================================

If Snyder doesn't sell the team (or at least change his ways) anyone over 40 also won't see another Super Bowl win, good graft choices, free agents who are top-notch or a pleasant fan experience.

Posted by: bbface21 | February 10, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

The best advice I can give Dan Snyder is, just win baby. You'll be stunned by the number of people who will give you credit for becoming a better person if your football team wins more game.

Posted by: sonny2 | February 10, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else wonder if Mr Snyder ever read the complete article:

1. He told the Washington Post about the article, "You can't make fun of someone's wife and her effort for breast cancer awareness as national spokesperson for the National Football League and as a breast cancer survivor." Did any of you read anything like that in the contested article?

2. Shortly thereafter Snyder said he'd drop it if the paper apologized.

3. Yesterday he claimed Tom Wyllie put him up to it.

It's almost beginning to feel like Wyllie told him a bunch of stuff, Snyder went ballistic, spouted off in public and is now .. stuck.

I mean, if a paper really went after your cancer stricken wife, would you back down, accept a simple apology? Hell no.

I'm thinkin' he got way ahead of himself here.

Like any really bad situation, best just to stop the bleeding and get out. Snyder should get out of this now.

Posted by: tslats | February 10, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Snyder surrounds himself with sycophants and mirrors. He can't tell real life from reflections and depends on the toadies for interpretation. Now, he's tangled in a tar baby that would result in further humiliation for a normal person, but it will barely show up on this narcissist's radar. It's enormously entertaining, don't you think?

Posted by: BGJim | February 10, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I would never have even seen this story, except for Dan Snyder's absurd lawsuit. He may be the dumbest rich man I have ever heard of.

Here is the link. Read the story -- it is entertaining and illuminating. This Snyder is a true 'grotesque'.

Posted by: JPMcC | February 10, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Everyone talking about Jerry Jones winning 3 Super Bowls is an IDIOT. Jimmy Johnson won two of those before free agency really set in and Barry Switzer got to ride his coat tails to the third along with Jerry. Bottom line is ever since he took over the GM spot for real, the Cowgirls have been crap, just like the Skins. At leat our owner is startig to understand like JKC you need bomb REAL Football people to build a winner. Skins win another Bowl befor the Cowgirls. TOTALLY!
SUCK THAT YOU BANDWAGON DC COWBOY FANS. 90% WHICH HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO DALLS! YOU SHOULD JUMP ON THE GB BANDWAGON YOU LOSERS!

Posted by: cayes56 | February 10, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

When you've got a weak brain, your mind is narrow.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 4:17 PM
______________________________________
...I do believe the author's statement that the Montecristo Club is "a clear violation of the law" may get him in some trouble. He had already taken PG County to task several times regarding the cigar bar at FedEx Field. He was told - and reported on it - in July, 2010 that Snyder had been granted an exception from PG County. ... However, I believe because the PG County Health Department was tasked with enforcing the Clean Air Act in PG County, and Snyder was granted an exception from PG County, that McKenna's claim he was clearly violating the law may be misleading at best, and false at worst.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 10, 2011 4:31 PM
__________________________________________

The exception -- which amounts to an administrative decision to not enforce -- does not mean the Montecristo Club was not in violation. If he wasn't violating the law, he wouldn't need an exception.

As for "Andyman", if it is _clearly_ conjecture, it can't be libelous, i.e., it could not be confused with an assertion of fact. Frankly, nothing of what you cited was actionable, in that it was either true, or not presented as a fact. To be actionable as libel, there must be an express statement (or clear implication) of fact, and that statement must be false.

Posted by: gbooksdc | February 10, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Dan suffers bad JuJu from killing trees.

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | February 10, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Couple of points here..the lawsuit is a rich,spoiled brat, stomping his feet because someone called him a name. well a few names, he, he!

Anyone's true protest of any product is simply not to buy it.I have even told my wife for years, not to buy me anything "redskins" as a present, I have enough, despite being a fan for 45 of my 51 years. I refuse to pad this guys pocket and will admire my team from afar. hoping for the best... I have stopped defending such a poorly run organization to others. Whats's best, a snyder who spends his money recklessly or jerry richardson who is cheap to a fault. losing is losing but the only difference on the outside looking in is that marty hurney and john fox made most of the football decisions until richardson satrted guarding himself against the labor strike... so they at least had a chance to win over the years.

to say one has been a success in anything because they make money is comparing apples and oranges. yes, he has sold his team to the masses but the reason he has failed is all the fantasy football moves, repeatedly restructuring contracts to stay under the cap to acquire more "has beens" as he robbed the restructured players and therefore the team, of truly having to compete for their money and jobs. they got paid for showing up and thats is it. him always thinking he was one free agent away from being good when in truth, everyone he signed, made us worse because of the getting paid, country club effect it has/had.

I too, used to defend snyder to outsiders as 'doing everything he can' to try and win. problem with that is it's not 'everything he can" . Hiring a Bill Polian and staying out of a professionals way would have been doing everything he can. He is the problem, clear and simple, not the answer. perception becomes truth and how is he and therefore our team, perceived? Everybody, including the refs, watch sportscenter, read the papers and internet sites. it becomes part of others lexicon to look at us negatively. Why? One man, one answer!

The road to hell is paved with good intentions..i'm sure all those wall street rip off artists wanted whats best for their kids too, put them thru the best colleges, at what costs??

perception is truth...Steelers have had what 3 coaches in 42 years, perceived as a winning organization. Redskins, what? 6-7 coaches in 11 years snyder has run the team. perception is truth!

and ending on a personal note, Jim Moran was quoted on morals? really...my ex-wife's mom used to do alot of campaigning for a local politician(Vanlandingham-D , alexandria)...May i suggest, that ole drunken jimbo tried very hard to bed her as he was married as well. ...noticed i said, "may i suggest" and that is my final point. The wording in anything perceived as derogatory is key to what is being said about another. if it is not directly said and accusitory, it is mot looked at as slnderous. Even McKenna is entitled to his opinion(s) and may i suggest, they are the truth.

Posted by: klangley69 | February 10, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Dan makes Al Davis look good.

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | February 10, 2011 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Snyder = Mubarak

Posted by: scollins | February 10, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

You know you've hit rock bottom when Cincinnati fans mantra this offseason is "well at least Mike Brown isn't Dan Snyder." True enjoyment of 'Skins fans - that seeing a winning team, a true Super Bowl contender - will never experience it as long as that petty little man owns the team.

And it's got to hurt because just up the road a ways is a well run NFL team, the complete opposite of Dannys toy.

Posted by: Leofwine | February 10, 2011 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Dan...blueprint for success in the NFL is being displayed annually right before your very eyes in Pittsburgh. Specifically...
- Pick a leader as your head coach with the intent to keep him for the long term
- Stay the hell away from the business and let the experts run the show
- Be very selective in the free agent arena, at most 1-2 low profile free agents per year with most years 0 free agents
- Be ultra-conservative in player contract negotiations, even with your star players. Pay for future performance potential not past performance. Don't be afraid to let a great player walk...i.e. Joey Porter, Plax, etc. They can be replaced in short order by a team that knows how to evaluate talent and develop talent
- Don't trade away your draft picks except in the utmost best of deals. Draft players with personal integrity that want to play winning TEAM football.
- And most importantly...hire coaches that can develop talent. Doesn't happen overnight and it takes in some cases multiple years of effort. James Harrison comes immediately to mind. There are far too many examples to list here.

The Redskins at best are average at a few of these basic philosophies and fail miserably at most and it all stems from the owner.

- And most importantly, get

Posted by: valleccrm | February 10, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins problem isn't only about ownership. It's about coaching and players. I can never understand why coaches get fired for poor player performance; I guess it's easier to sacrifice one lamb rather than many. I'm not an arm chair coach but I wonder can good players win with a bad coach? Can a good coach win with bad players? Can either win with a bad owner? So the problem is not one dimensional. The WCP criticized the Redskins' organization for acquiring an aging quarterback. Something to think about...why did his old team let him go? Did we see something they didn't see during the many years he played there? Has anyone thought about the former Redskin players that went elsewhere and reached a higher playing level than when they played for Washington? Does that point to poor coaching? How could a coach do well for another team then come here and not make a difference? Does that point to bad players? Can a team attract talent if the owner doesn't have deep pockets? Maybe Snyder needs to be less visible and continue doing what owners SHOULD do, fork over the cash. Maybe the coaching staff should do what it should do, devise ways to win even when it seems impossible to do so. And let's not forget the players; maybe they need to catch balls when they ought to, drop them less, get in shape and stay that way and act like football is their job for however many months of the year it is. That way fans can be fans and be proud to call the home team their own.

Posted by: landscapeartist | February 10, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The Egyptian technique may be applicable here. Suppose 100 thousand Redskins fans gather on the Mall and refuse to disperse until Snyder resigns.

Posted by: donnolo | February 10, 2011 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Here's something interesting:

George Mason University WON'T field an NCAA football team--the college administration thinks it would bust the budget--YET they MIGHT JUST get the new Redskins' training camp!!!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 10, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight, a newspaper that carries a libel insurance policy and is owned by a billion dollar hedge fund has asked its readers to pay its legal bills? Who is gaming who here? It looks like Redskins fans are the ultimate losers with Snyder such a jerk and now City Paper reaping the positive PR and reader dollars. Very sketchy.... But I guess the hedge fund business must be hurting like the rest of us these days

Posted by: verrylake | February 11, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Danny boy's best hope is that someone WORSE than him will buy a team.

There is nothing wrong with the REDSKINS that could not be cured by a Synderectomy. Unfortunately medical science has not yet developed that far.

But to be politcally correct we should really treat mentally challenged billionaires politely. After all, what else do they have besides their self-esteem?

Posted by: nardone22 | February 11, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Snyder never ceases to amaze. Just when you think he couldn't become more petty and juvenile, he surpasses expectations and sinks to new lows. Napoleon Syndrome personified. It is truly amazing how a total failure as an owner can still garnish so much attention.

I agree with Hiatus. Gave up my tickets 4 years ago; when invited to games, refuse to go; won't buy the kids Redskin gear (thank goodness for the Capitals!); and won't watch them on TV.

Posted by: slainte1 | February 11, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm afraid that Hosni Snyder is just too out of touch with his "people" to get it.

Posted by: SadDCNative | February 11, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Jones didn't win 3 Super Bowls, Jimmy Johnson did. The only thing Jones did was HIRE Johnson.

Posted by: josdav | February 11, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Some of the sycophant posts are great. How many are in Snyder's employment? ALL!

Posted by: lovinliberty | February 11, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Step right up to the big top Redskins' circus!

See the little man in the center ring jump up and down, slither, and screech!

Watch the crowd throw money at the little man!

Watch the little man destroy a once proud team, while extracting ever increasing amounts of Benjamins from the suckers!

The peanut gallery calls out the little man, watch him squirm, twist, pout, and go into histrionics worthy of a shrew!

"I'll sue, I'll bury you!" Shouts the little man.

The franchise may be worth more since the little man bought it, but it is a loser, and he has not helped.

Give me Jack Kent Cooke any day.

Posted by: rhall2 | February 11, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I was a huge Redskins fan, for years and years. But the last few years, I really don't care about the Redskins. It's like I don't have an NFL team I care about, anymore. I miss "The Squire," even though he was eccentric.

It seems like the only sports owner, in D.C., who is liked, now, is Leonsis -- and for very good reasons.

Posted by: LuvDCArea | February 11, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Verrylake & all those other bozos who think the same. CP never asked for $!!! It was freely offered & they only started the fund because Danny boy haters insisted on it. CP has stated that after they pay their deductible, the balance will go to charity. Hopefully it will go to breast cancer – an even more direct slap in the face for Danny boy. P.S. If you really hate Danny boy, write him and tell him so. His mailing address is 11900 River Rd., Potomac, MD 20854. You can find his house on the internet; it’s the one w/ the heli-pad and chopped down trees so that he can get a better view of the river.

Posted by: MPPW | February 14, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse