Posted at 11:34 AM ET, 03/ 3/2011

Brandon Davies suspended by BYU for breaking honor code by having sex

By Cindy Boren

At other schools, Brandon Davies might have been high fived. At Brigham Young University, he was suspended from the nation's third-ranked basketball team because he admitted to violating the school's honor code by having sexual relations with his girlfriend.

An honor code is an honor code and the one at BYU, a private school affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, requires students to "live a chaste and virtuous life." Students are also required to be honest; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse; and attend church regularly. Davies will be suspended from the team for the rest of the season and, according to BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins, his future at the school has yet to be determined.

"Everybody who comes to BYU, every student if they're an athlete or not an athlete, they make a commitment when they come," BYU Coach Dave Rose said, adding that he thought Davies would play again for the team. "A lot of people try to judge if this is right or wrong, but it's a commitment they make. It's not about right or wrong. It's about commitment."

Davies, who was described as "extremely remorseful, heartbroken," had started 26 of 29 games for BYU (27-2, 13-1 in the Mountain West and ranked third nationally in Associated Press and ESPN polls). He led the team in rebounds with a 6.2 average and was averaging 11.1 points per game. Without him Wednesday night, BYU los 82-64 to New Mexico.

"He told us he was sorry and let us down," BYU guard Jimmer Fredette said. "We told him it's okay. Sometimes in life we make mistakes. We've got to play through it."

Tracee Hamilton: Paying the price for cracking the code

Pat Forde: Respecting the code

By Cindy Boren  | March 3, 2011; 11:34 AM ET
Categories:  College basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NFL lockout: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees would be plaintiffs
Next: Should O.J. Atogwe, or any other Redskins player, wear No. 21?

Comments

Good for BYU. The young man broke his word. He knew what he was getting into. He could have gone to another university. Whether or not other BYU athletes are doing the same thing has nothing to do with Mr. Davies.

Posted by: searay28 | March 3, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Good for BYU and their ludicrous rules that only encourage lying and hypocrisy. Rules is rules. Brandon, you should immediately transfer to Maryland.

Posted by: milfordone | March 3, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Brandon and his girlfriend are the only students at BYU that have sex....................................

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 3, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Whether or not other BYU athletes are doing the same thing has nothing to do with Mr. Davies."

Yes, it does.

The school should have a coffee-tea-and-sex police force, in fairness to all the students. Allowing many violators to go unconfessed and unpunished only breeds disrespect for the honor code.

BGTW, how was his whoopee-making discovered, I wonder.

Posted by: lemmetellia | March 3, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it does.

BTW, how was his whoopee-making discovered, I wonder.

Posted by: lemmetellia | March 3, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet his girlfriend and her family really appreciate him going public. Talk about kissing and telling.

Posted by: hubcityvol | March 3, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The incident was discovered because Davies voluntarily confessed it. Davies is a Mormon and felt guilty.

Posted by: beanlowry | March 3, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The NFL could learn a thing or two from this young man. He has far more integrity than many in the NFL.

Posted by: richard36 | March 3, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Cry me a river. Screw BYU. Biggest bunch of phony's in the nation. All there players are at least two years older than any other players because they have spent 2 years prosthelizing there religion around the world. And I'm sure that this player is going to quit having sex with his girlfriend just so he can come back and play for BYU next year. Get a clue fella, get the hell out of there while you have a chance. Go somewhere that will let you have sex with your girlfriend and still play basketball. It's no ones business what you do behind closed doors with your gal. F BYU.

Posted by: diamond_jim | March 3, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the penalty is for a non-student athlete?

Posted by: ptp09 | March 3, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Teh article says he was suspended from the team but not from the school. So what happens if a non-athlete breaks the code?

Posted by: ptp09 | March 3, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@Diamond Jim- Yes their players tend to be older, but they didnt spend those two years playing basketball everyday of their lives. What your saying is that the players at BYU are so good that they can take off two years and still beat the rest of the country. Also, why "Screw BYU". He had a choice to go anywhere he wanted but chose BYU. Live by the rules or dont but at least he was man enough to admit that he made a mistake.

Posted by: GU_Spokane | March 3, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Surely there would have no penalty, only praise, if he had married her, and surprisingly had a premature baby in 7 months. Almost surely the problem is that he wouldn't marry her.

Posted by: jhough1 | March 3, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I hope it was worth it!!!

Posted by: dmcclure05 | March 3, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I take offense with Cindy Boren's phrase..."At other schools, Brandon Davies might have been high fived."

Way to perpetuate the idea of male dominance and conquest, with men high fiving each other after sex with a woman!! Offensive to say the least.

Do girls high five each other after having sex with man? I hope most of us have more class and caring than that.

Posted by: laura32 | March 3, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, laura32, it kinda depends on the man. If I've just done it with George Clooney, hell yeah, I'm gonna high-five my girlfriends. On the other hand, if I've just hooked up with that geek in Physics Lab, that's a secret I'll take to the grave.

Posted by: 7900rmc | March 3, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

As our society has matured over the last century, the BYU Honor Code comes across at best as quaint, and at worst a product of a Luddite culture resisting advancement. His conduct may be deplored, but the university’s response is disproportionate. If the school suspends or expels him, it is in my akin to a modern version being required to wear a scarlet letter. Reading the BYU honor code comes across as shades of “1984” with elements of secret police, accusations without benefit of confrontation, a school that must inspect and approve every possible off-campus privately owned housing, etc.

Mitt Romney is trying very hard to convince a lot of skeptics that he comes from a main-stream culture and a common background. It is stories like this which makes his claim a tough sell.

Posted by: ak1123 | March 3, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. Like an HOA, if you don't like the rules or want to play by them, then don't go to school there of move there...easy. Good for BYU to stand up for their rules and code. Where most schools work to cover up such things, it's refreshing one school has the courage to lead and do what's right.

Posted by: FedUp8 | March 3, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

BYU's goal is to turn boys into men, to teach them integrity, honesty, how to be good husbands, fathers, and how to raise strong families. In the end it is those things that matter, not a basketball game. He knew the rules, he broke them. Good for BYU for enforcing the rules. Many schools at this level are selling their souls to win games. They lie, cheat, hide, and do anything to get ahead and I think it shows how much integrity BYU has for enforcing a rule that I'm sure is difficult for everyone.

Posted by: J-Man24 | March 3, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Let me be clear...... The television shows watched in the 50's were absolutely not representative of how people actually lived. I love Andy Griffith but I realize that it was a show not real. Mormons taught that all dark skinned people were evil children of Ham until fairly recently and all that crap. Yet they teach that Jesus revealed himself to American Indians. This Puritan ideal that is always at odds with our nature is silly. You try to be a good person , thats it. This kid went to BYU , maybe because he got the best scholarship deal..I don't know. He has to adhere to their rules.....but I think saying "good for BYU" is silly. BYU makes serious cash off this kid. And I am curious about the race of the girlfriend I would guess she is white (based on the fact that this has gotten so much coverage) I live in a very christian area of Central Virginia. Do you know how many "Christians I know who say this everday " I love everbody, but I , uh , I don't think race mixing is right". Religion is killing this country, and it is going to get worse. Gun toting preachers, Pastors who have many gay members against gay marriage.. Stop the BS.

Let me summarize: If you think that your son will be better equipped to determine a marriage partner by being a virgin when he gets married ,your not looking at the divorce rates among young couples who get married early vs those who wait until 28 or so.

Secondly , this idea that you can halt the sexual impulse of the young male is silly. And more evidence to the contrary is abundant. That does'nt mean that it can not be guided in a safe and mature way.

Posted by: RETRACG | March 3, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Did he remove his magic underwear?

Posted by: kt76 | March 3, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I suddenly want to watch the South Park episode about Mormons....

Posted by: VAtoLA | March 3, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

So....there is no forgiveness in Mormon beliefs?

Say what you want about Catholicism; at least we believe we are all human.

Posted by: AustinFitz | March 3, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Yet another instance where religion fouls things up.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 3, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

What a dumb policy. He was just being a guy. Guys can't control their urges, and to pretend otherwise is stupid.

Posted by: bubba110 | March 3, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,
I'm sure you've seen this week's SI. Why is it that the Post's stable of sports reporters turns a blind eye to the "Teflon Coach" and his thugocracy in Blacksburg?

Posted by: MerlinTerps | March 3, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't wait for the 7 wives...

Posted by: Geopolitics1 | March 3, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Organize religion is the worst thing to happen to humans. Having said that,I find this story hilarious. If you put a sandwich in front of a hungry man, he's going to eat it. We are talking about 18,19,20,21 young men. Only God could have resisted the urge. I say good for him. Of all the other reasons to be kick off a basketball team, this is the best one. I say...go get you a little bit more, son.

Posted by: gdcamp | March 3, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

MerlinTerps, I haven't read the story yet...plan to this weekend. I wouldn't say we "turned a blind eye," but it's legitimate to raise a question whenever someone reports something like that about any team we cover. You should bring it up with sports editor Matt Vita or with our new ombudsman.

Posted by: CindyBoren | March 3, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they didn't play basketball for two years on their missions, but the physical maturity that comes with those two years is an unfair advantage. Some of the BYU athletes are in their late 20's. Don't kid yourself, they will do anything to win. If this guy hadn't been busted for having sex, nothing would be said about it. They want all their young men to be sex starved so that they will promptly marry and start throwing out kids. In that church it is seven to get to heaven.

Posted by: diamond_jim | March 3, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

An awful lot of investigation went into finding out whether or not this young man was having sex. All that time and effort can only mean one thing. He was having sex with a "white woman."

Posted by: tiffany3311 | March 3, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

As a former alum of BYU let me just clarify some things for the obviously misguided.

first of all....BYU does not care what color your skin is or who you are or what kind of talents you possess, if you break the rules, your in trouble.

It does not matter 1 bit that he was dating a girl of another race only that he broke the honor code.

And of course mormons believe in forgiveness. but this issue is not about forgiveness, its about the rules of the school and if you break the rules, their will be consequences.

#5 someone posted "Guys can't control their urges, and to pretend otherwise is stupid "

Well all I have to say to that is...no wonder our world is becoming so corrupt and falling apart when people like you believe that they have no control over their urges.

You are the one that decides, you are the one that makes up your mind to break a rule or to obey it.

#6 BYU is a a private Christian school run by the lds church. Its honor code applies to every single person attending the school. Students are suspended all the time for breaking the rules...it just so happens that this is their star player who they were counting on to lead them to the ncaa championships.

It is unfortunate that this player decided to break the rules and that the team will now suffer for his mistakes...but the rules were clear.

I liked this persons post so I will repeat it.

"BYU's goal is to turn boys into men, to teach them integrity, honesty, how to be good husbands, fathers, and how to raise strong families. In the end it is those things that matter, not a basketball game"

Posted by: bbitemee | March 3, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I liked this persons post so I will repeat it.

Posted by: bbitemee | March 3, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse

At least he had the courage to admit he has had sex. Not many college students can say that. I can't tell you the sort of bragging I had to do to convince my college friends that I hadn't had sex.

Posted by: tapedeck | March 3, 2011 11:41 PM | Report abuse

@Diamond-Jim: "Maybe they didn't play basketball for two years on their missions, but the physical maturity that comes with those two years is an unfair advantage. Some of the BYU athletes are in their late 20's. Don't kid yourself, they will do anything to win."

........................................

Diamond_Jim: I want to believe you're really not that dumb, but your words don't help much. I'm not a Mormon, but some things just require a response.

Here are a few things to shake up your gray matter a little.

(1) ANY collegiate athlete of ANY religion can take time away from college athletics to do a religious mission of 18-24 months. If a going on the equivalent of a Mormon mission is such a great advantage, WHY DON'T COACHES OF ALL COLLEGES HAVE ALL THEIR PLAYERS DO IT?

(2) All colleges recruit Mormons. Most colleges other than BYU discourage their Mormon players from doing a mission. What the ____?!!! If it helps so much, why would they do this?!!!!

(3) Most of BYU's "star" players didn't go on missions because they knew it would hurt their games. LOOK IT UP. Steve Young didn't go. Current BYU quarterback Heaps doesn't plan to go. America's sweetheart Jimmer Fredette didn't go. Brandon Davies hasn't gone. WHOA!! WHAT THE ____?!!!!

You can dislike BYU for their arrogant self-righteous attitude (and many of us do), but lay off the "Mormon Mission" crap.

Oh yeah--I'll give you $20 if you can find me ANY starting BYU basketball or football player in his "late 20s." Their bios are all online, so put up or shut up.

Posted by: bubba110 | March 4, 2011 12:27 AM | Report abuse

How's that saying go, oh right:

Religion is the opiate of the masses.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 4, 2011 2:02 AM | Report abuse

bubba110, I do know what I am talking about. There is a guy on the Oregon Football team (defensive end)from a small town in Idaho that is 27 years of age. All the players call him Dad, or Old Man. He served his mission and came back more physically mature than the average kid. The reason great athletes from BYU like Steve Young didn't go on a mission was because the church gave them a free pass so they could go into the Pro's and start making all that money, of which the church gets 10% of everything. It's all about money and power. Steve Young will go on a mission later in life with his wife. It's a natural progression of things in that church. So don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about, bubba110.

Posted by: diamond_jim | March 4, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

No Comment , Radicals will one day stone women if they gonna commit the same behavior .

Posted by: faisalalmutar | March 5, 2011 5:36 AM | Report abuse

We thought this "Davies was dismissed because he violated the Honor Code" story seemed bogus from the get-go.

Turns out it was:

Davies is black. His girlfriend, ASU volleyball star, Danica Mendivil, is white. That, according to Internet sources, was the real "violation." Kinda bizarre for the Washington Post to ignore THAT 800 pound elephant in the room.

And, BTW, BYU does NOT strictly enforce its "Honor Code." That dog won't hunt. Ask BYU alum Jim McMahon and others. So those who praise BYU for sticking to its "values," can go fly a Haley Barbour kite.
_____________

Let's hope Davies and Danica transfer to an area school like Georgetown or Maryland where they can "move and groove" all day long with anyone interrupting them, and enhance its sports program.

Prediction: BYU won't win more than one or two games from now on, as the brothers on opposing teams commit to expose BYU and its Fredettes as a media fraud. Honor Code THAT, BYU.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | March 5, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmmmm. So, broadwayjoe, you are hinting, just a bit, that BYU is racist, and perhaps the LDS Church as well?

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurl_Bailey

Thurl is an inspirational speaker in Salt Lake City. He is LDS. He speaks before LDS audiences. I heard him on one occasion. Good speaker.

(Oh, BTW, his wife is w-h-i-t-e, but don't tell anyone.)

Posted by: bettyandrayterry | March 7, 2011 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I have a few questions. How do we know it was sex? BYU never said what it was. I never read that Brandon Davies said that is what it was. If it was, sex, how do we know it was with his girlfriend who is going to school in Arizona? How do we know what race the girl was? But my biggest question was, if Brandon signed an Honor Code contract saying he would obey the rules no matter how dumb anyone may think they are, and he didn't honor the contract, who with any integrity would question BYU's response to the infraction? That is what should be discussed here. Not whether he had sex or what race the girl was, but how the school treated someone who broke his word. I know that many business people have thought that honor doesn't matter any more. Some of them are in prison now. I think BYU is inadvertently showing the world that honor still counts, that honesty is something to be valued and sought after. If someone at BYU doesn't obey the honor code they should be asked to face the consequences no matter what it is. I think most Christian churches, the LDS church included believes in repentance. To repent, some restitution and sorrow must occur. I believe that if Brandon repents of his wrongdoing, that BYU will let him play again. I believe that the rest of the schools in America should take stoke of their policies and maybe decide that it is more important to have honorable graduates instead of having more money, which BYU will be out a lot if they don't do well during March Maddness and anyone could trace their poor appearance to the loss of Brandon Davies. Of my knowledge of Brandon Davies, he is a fine young man who made a mistake. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. And speaking of money, BYU is getting more publicity than any money could buy.

Posted by: kag3 | March 7, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

What a joke! Seriously, he was having sex and that led to a suspension? Really? Really? A 20-something year old was having sex and he was suspended? These people do a great disservice by making young men and women get married at such a young age before they can have sex. Really. I suspect it drives up the divorce rate, leads to increased bankruptcies and etc. These kids are not 15 or 16. And no 22 year old is ready to get married. I don't care what they think; life is far too complicated to know your partner at 22.

Seriously. Let the kid be a kid.

Posted by: teoandchive | March 7, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

As one who knows the mormon church very well having been a member for over 25 yrs. I find it so sad that a young man who was acting as a man does by nature is being hung out to dry. If any black man new the real history of this church they would leave in a heart beat in fact all would leave if they read the real history of this church and its founders. First off Joe smith took many other mens wives to bed, he had an affair with a 14 yr old Fanny Alger when he was in his 30's. Brigham Young wrote that a man who went to bed with a black person should be killed and any children that came of that joining should be killed as well. {Journel of Discourse} This Church has the nerve to have an honor code that the founder Joe Smith and Brigham Young could never have met. I hope this kid will look into the real history of this church and get the heck out!

Posted by: searingarts | March 8, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse