Posted at 9:24 AM ET, 03/ 6/2011

City Paper lawsuit brings still more bad press for Dan Snyder

By Cindy Boren

The brouhaha over Redskins owner Daniel Snyder's lawsuit may have slowed in volume, but it hasn't lost any venom.

Matt Taibbi brings down the gavel sledgehammer in his regular Supreme Court of, er, badpersonedness blog post at Rolling Stone. (Kind of like this.) You can read the NSFW post here, but the synopsis is that Taibbi's court voted unanimously that Snyder is a bad person for filing suit against Washington City Paper for a story Dave McKenna wrote last fall. (Haven't read it? You can do so here. There's even a WCP defense fund.) Taibbi's court voted unanimously that the Redskins owner is an, um, person in the matter of The People vs. Dan Snyder.

Justice Drew Magary first brought Synder to the Court's attention and, voting to convict, summed up the situation thusly: "The reason the McKenna case is important is because it demonstrates that, if you [tick] off a rich [expletive], he can use a friviolous lawsuit to bankrupt you. You don't have a choice. You have to hire lawyers to defend yourself again and again until your resources have been exhausted. You can be dragged into the legal system against your will by some [expletive] like Snyder and even if he loses, you're still ruined for life."

A little closer to actual lawyers, a professor in a Northwest law school cited the suit in a lecture on Rule 11 and frivolous lawsuits. At New York School of Law, Trevor Timm writes a Legal As She Is Spoke blog post entitled "An Amusing Article Spawns a Laughable Libel Suit."

It's curious that Mr. Snyder sued at all. Washington City Paper is just a small local paper, and he should have known the statements made in the article would be covered by the national media--and read by far more people--solely because of the lawsuit. It seems Mr. Snyder hoped to bury the paper in legal costs and destroy it for good; his lawyer sent the paper a threatening letter before suing, saying, "the cost of litigation would presumably quickly outstrip the asset value of the Washington City Paper." And yet when the paper offered to meet with Mr. Snyder to hear his side of the story and publish an apology if he could provide evidence they were wrong, he refused.
Washington City Paper says it will vigorously defend its article in court. It is entirely possible in the next few months Dan Snyder will be the laughingstock of not only a small alternative weekly paper in his hometown, but Second Circuit case law as well.

By Cindy Boren  | March 6, 2011; 9:24 AM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder, NFL, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wes Leonard, Michigan high-school star, dies after hitting game-winner
Next: Mike Tyson, pigeon fancier, makes his Animal Planet debut

Comments

The WCP offered to meet with that scheister $nyder, listen to his side of the story, and if he could back it up, print an apology? And HE REFUSED?

Just proves what a turd that guy is. I never thought it possible, but due to his ownership, I really can't stomach the Washington Redskins anymore. He's raped all the fun out of cheering for them.

Posted by: Ve1ostrummer | March 7, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

AS Bugs Bunny would say what a maroon.

Posted by: vaparrot | March 7, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

old news, repetitive news, who cares!

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | March 7, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is never getting another penny from me. Oh, the City Paper is getting a check, though. You Suck, Danny.

Posted by: McLobo | March 7, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

It is nice to see someone at the WaPo who isn't on Snyder's payroll. Thanks, Cindy!

Posted by: KDSmallJr | March 7, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

How about EVERYONE SHUT UP about Dan Snyder, and those that dislike him go away and root for the Cincinnati Bengals!!!! I am sure Mike Brown, the owner, would appreciate it!

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | March 7, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | March 7, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | March 7, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I so AGREE with your post Ve1ostrummer. Me being a native Washingtonian, I LOVED the Redskins and couldn't get enough, losing seasons and all until Danny came along. He has ruined it for me for FOREVER~~

--------------------------------

Posted by: Ve1ostrummer

Posted by: smtpgirl08 | March 7, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, right, if a newspaper libels you, you meet with them so you can be libeled so more? Right ...

Frankly, there is no news here. No news at all. The Post would not have printed this if it had been about people dissing Mike Shanahan because it likes Mike Shanahan (or the tone would have been very different anyway). As for Northeastern University law professors, I need only say this: Northeastern University hasn't made the law playoffs in decades.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | March 7, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Nemo go home and play with Elmo and more importantly actually read the article.

Those of you that defend Snyder are lost. His ownership of the skins is a case study in why so many US company are lost at sea. The only sound decision he ever made was to buy the Skins. It has been one never-ending disaster since.

Posted by: 85viking | March 7, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

A man who owns a football team whose very name is an ethnic slur has the temerity to sue a newspaper for reporting on the various silly and stupid things he has done since he bought the club...and modifying his picture in a way that he regards as anti-semitic? Too funny...

Posted by: Naptowner2010 | March 7, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is that I am glad my daughter didn’t attend that law school.

@Ve1ostrummer and smtpgirl08

Allegedly, allegedly. And your source is a reporter quoting a professor misquoting Snyder’s lawyer. Don’t jump in the hate-Snyder bandwagon so quickly, let the courts resolve the issue, I am sure if you were Snyder you will feel differently.

Posted by: hock1 | March 7, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"His ownership of the skins is a case study in why so many US company are lost at sea. The only sound decision he ever made was to buy the Skins. It has been one never-ending disaster since.” - 85viking

HUH? …company lost at sea. … sound decision to buy it?
Well, whatever. Has the Redskins organization increased its value since Snyder bought it? mmm? Oh, I get it. It was lost at sea and Snyder made a sound t decision to salvage it. But, of course, you are only referring to the inferior product it produces and you are buying, and not to the savvy business of the organization.

Posted by: hock1 | March 7, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope he destroys such a trashy paper!!!

"City Trash Paper", I hate it!

And i still say this so called "reporter", went too far...it was not newsworthy story, but more of a personal opinion piece.

Thats the difference, i am looking at.

Posted by: weaverf | March 7, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

My Sister-In-Law gave me a Redskis Fleece Jacket for Christmas and I almost punched her in the nose. Some homeless dude is looking good in it as write this. This is from a Die-Hard Redskins fan that won't support DS but did donate money to the defense fund. Thanks for ruing the team and making us the Charlie Sheen of the NFL.

Posted by: EnzoBigBlue | March 7, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

we are the bengals, metaphorically speaking. i wish snyder would learn to be nice and the redskins win the super bowl...when is the apocalypse!? maybe 2013 on a dirt field with chards of glass and boulders for bleachers.

Posted by: gogolpost | March 7, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Those of you that defend Snyder are lost."...and on The Danny's payroll too!! Just like Mr. PTI Tony The sellout...who DO these marks this they are fooling?

Posted by: nowhine | March 7, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh look, another rag piling on and protecting their own. This is news? Mean ol' Daniel Snyder actually having the gall to take a newspaper to task for printing slanderous allegations. This is like posting opinions of attendees at the RNC to back up your opinion about Obama (or DNC attendeeds what they feel about Palin if you would rather).

Posted by: ouvan59 | March 7, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

If the WPC slander him, he has a right to sue. If they go out of business, it shows journalists that they better be careful instead of piling on. I have no problem with the lawsuit. If there are false statements in the article, he has a right to sue. I hope he sues the Post.

Posted by: BlameGibbs | March 7, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

if any of you actually read the srticle, you would see it isn't slanderous. But then Danny must be paying you, or maybe it's you Danny

Posted by: anti1 | March 7, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a lot of Snyder aliases commenting here. I'm sure that's a sound PR strategy to get DC back behind the skins and Danny boy, about as sound as every other decision made under the regime. As a Cowboys fan, thank you Dan! Sure I'd prefer more success from the 'boys but wow, you make the skins the most entertaining team in football to read about.

Posted by: jtinyaface | March 7, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm barely hanging on as a Skins fan because of Snyder's poor management and ugly behavior. Gave up my season tix a few years ago. Danny will have to pay for his behavior one day.

Posted by: dp3328 | March 7, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

snyder is the stereotypical...he can't help himself.

Posted by: doyouktt | March 7, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EnzoBigBlue | March 7, 2011 1:57 PM |
=============================

Don't believe a word of what is written here! Total BS from top to bottom!!
Why don't you go troll somewhere else and make up your little stories for another audience!!
You are about as Die Hard as your mentioned Sheen is sober!!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | March 7, 2011 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr40

Note to Dan Snyder and his PR firm:

We aren't falling for your fake posts! The more you fight this, the more fans you are going to lose.

SELL THE TEAM!

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | March 8, 2011 3:47 AM | Report abuse

What does "slowed in volume" mean? Help me out here.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 8, 2011 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is a complete turd and incompetent fool. I hope the WCP is able to get a good law firm pro-bono to help run a vigorous legal defense. Given Snyder's many known and lesser known transgressions, he will get so abused during the depositions his underwear will turn brown. In addition, he has a football team named "Redskins", which last I checked there are no other teams in the NFL named "Blackskins", "Yellow People" or "Palefaces".

Besides being a complete failure on the field, Snyder is a horrible person who cares only about money. It's very hard to root for the Redskins with Danny Boy at the wheel. I chose not to renew my season tickets several years ago. I will not put money in this man's pocket for an inferior product and who abuses his customers.

Posted by: youcanthandlethetruth1 | March 8, 2011 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Snyder doesn't know the first thing about running a successful football team but he acts like he is god's gift to Washington fans. What an arrogant azzhole!

Posted by: sjp879 | March 8, 2011 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I HAVE BEEN SKINS FAN SINCE 1941. BEFORE THE NEWBES, WERE HATCHED, DAN SYNDER IS THE BEST.

Posted by: ocbow | March 8, 2011 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Interesting all these Snyder defenders magically appear. Would anyone put it past this sleezbag to have his PR people register and make comments here to counter all the (normal) people that can't stand the little runt? Pathetic.

Posted by: dbunkr | March 8, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr40
___________________________________________

How about you and Dan leave the city!

Posted by: shamken | March 8, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dan, I need a job, I can sound stupid like the other bloggers on your payroll. When can I start?

Posted by: hodgensr | March 8, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

AS Bugs Bunny would say what a maroon.

Posted by: vaparrot | March 7, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

This is why these stories need a "like" button for comments!

Posted by: jredden | March 8, 2011 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I can't believe how obvious it is that a Snyder PR effort is going on with the posts on this article. Anyone who has read the many posts on Snyder's foibles knows that the number of Snyder defenders and how vehemently they defend him, is completely out of synch! He rarely has more than a couple of defenders and they are mostly just defending the Redskins organization as true fans. They almost NEVER slam other posters unless those posts were about changing their loyalties away from the skins. What a joke!!!!

Posted by: Kolchak | March 8, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I think it was Daffy Duck who said "what a maroon." but I could be wrong

Posted by: rmcpks73 | March 8, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Redskin season ticket holders have finally found the alternative need for their ticket money. Dump your tickets and put the money toward the WCP defense fund.

Posted by: jdumb | March 8, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

No worries....Skins fans. The pro Snyder posters are his sales staff most likely. It's comical to see that many defensive posts all of a sudden.

Posted by: jdumb | March 8, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Gosh -- the postings on this board has convinced me that Snyder isn't so bad. Every single skins fan that I have encountered in the last five years thinks he is a wanker who spoiled a great team but must be in the minority. This board seems like a better representaion of what skins fans really think. I will now go about my day thinking that Dan Snyder didn't trash a once great franchise, rendering them a laughingstock.

Posted by: buster5 | March 8, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I think the Danny has outsourced his blog defending sock-puppets to some Sri Lankan call center: the arguments are so similar, they feel scripted. Poor Danny.

Posted by: johnb5 | March 8, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The sales staff has no sales to complete, so to justify their pay, Danny has them troll any message board that is anti Dan (keeps them VERY busy).

I love the idea of having season ticket holders dump the tix and send the money to WCP.

Go away Dan!