Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
2.7%  Q1 GDP    4.57%  avg. 30-year mortgage     9.5%  Unemployment

What if I have more than $100,000 in bank deposits? Is there any way to get more FDIC coverage?

Yes. If you keep your deposits in accounts under different ownership categories, you will be fully insured even if the sum of all the different pots of money exceeds $100,000. There are eight different ownership categories, including single accounts, joint accounts, revocable trust accounts and employee benefit plan accounts.

The FDIC has a tool called the Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator, known as EDIE, that helps you calculate your coverage. The agency debuted a more user-friendly version of it this week on its new web site. You can also call 1-877-ASK-FDIC.

If you don't want to go through all those calculations, you can always separate your money among one or more FDIC-insured banks.

-- Washington Post Staff Writer Nancy Trejos

By Editor  |  September 18, 2008; 6:16 PM ET
Categories:  Your Pocketbook  | Tags: FDIC, bank accounts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How safe is the money I've deposited into my bank account?
Next: What types of bank accounts are covered by FDIC insurance?

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company