Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
2.7%  Q1 GDP    4.57%  avg. 30-year mortgage     9.5%  Unemployment

Chrysler Gets Another $1.5 Billion From Government

The government will lend $1.5 billion to Chrysler Financial to increase the availability of loans for car buyers, the Treasury Department announced today, The Post's Binyamin Appelbaum reports.

The company, which provides financing for buyers of Chrysler vehicles, will create a special entity to receive the funds.

The five-year loan carries a modest interest rate and is secured by the loans that Chrysler Financial makes. Treasury also will get warrants for 5 percent of the loan amount.

The deal requires Chrysler Financial to slash its bonus pool for senior executives by 40 percent, among other restrictions on executive compensation.

Here are the terms of the deal.

The government already has given a boost to GMAC, the auto financing company that makes loans to many buyers of General Motors vehicles.

Chrysler's private-equity owner, Cerberus Capital, owns 51 percent of GMAC, with GM holding the remaining 49 percent.

The Bush administration has now committed about $380 billion from its financial rescue program, including almost $25 billion for the automotive industry.

Chrysler already has received a $4 billion emergency loan from the federal government to stay in business.

-- Frank Ahrens
The Ticker is Twittering!

By Frank Ahrens  |  January 16, 2009; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  The Ticker  | Tags: Big Three, Chrysler, automakers, bailout  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama: My First Job Is Putting People Back To Work
Next: Report: Pfizer Cuts 2,500 Sales Jobs, Leading Black Friday Of Layoffs

Comments

I do not own a car I did not pay for. I paid for all my cars, used cars, in cash. I like to put my money into something that would hold value. Thank you, Government, for deciding to spend my hard-earned money to give it to Crysler, who cannot run a business at a profit, to allow those who cannot afford to have a car, to have a car with my money. Now, do I get an interest on that money of mine that is being lended to Crysler, GM, and the like? Please let me know when I can collect.

Posted by: voiceinthedesert1 | January 16, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company