2.7%  Q1 GDP    4.57%  avg. 30-year mortgage     9.5%  Unemployment

January sales: Ford up 24%, GM up 14%, Toyota down 9%, Chrysler down 8%

UPDATED at 1:52 p.m. with GM, Chrysler, others:

Ford's January sales were up 24 percent compared to January 2009, the company reported moments ago.

January sales reports from other automakers:

-- Toyota reported moments ago saying January sales were down 8.7 percent, as the company struggled with its sticking-gas-pedal issue.

-- General Motors reported January sales were up 14 percent and retail sales were up 3 percent. (The rest is fleet sales.)

-- Honda said sales for the month were up 2.9 percent.

-- Nissan sales were up 16 percent.

-- Chrysler reported January sales were down .4 percent, which the automaker must see as a victory, given the past 18 months it has been through. (CX: Chrsyler's adjusted sales for the month were down 8 percent. Still a victory for the automaker, which was losing 50 percent of its monthly sales last year.)

-- Subaru said sales were up 28 percent, as Legacy and Outback sales made up for lagging Forester and Impreza sales.

-- Mercedes Benz USA said January sales shot up 45 percent in January. Guess the recession's over!

-- Porsche's January sales were up 8 percent, but it's almost statistically irrelevant, as Porsche sells so few cars in the U.S. -- only 1,800 in January.

-- Kia said January sales were essentially flat.

January is a typically weak month for vehicle sales.

Sales of Ford passenger vehicles rose 43 percent and sales of trucks and SUVs were up 15 percent.

It's worth noting that Ford's retails sales -- sales to folks like you and me, off a Ford dealer's lot -- were actually down 5 percent in January, compared to the 18 percent December surge. That means the 24 percent January sales hike came largely from fleet sales.

Sales of the Lincoln badge were up 16 percent and Mercury was up 6 percent.

Ford has been the biggest beneficiary of the financial crisis, as it was the only Big Three automaker not to take government aid and go through bankruptcy. It has taken market share from GM and Chrysler and now appears to be taking some market share from Toyota, thanks that that automaker's trouble with sticking gas pedals.

Ford's U.S. market share now stands at 16 percent, up 2 percent from this time last year.

The big winner in year-over-year sales increase was the Ford Taurus, which was up 121 percent over January 2009. On the other hand, sales of the Ford Flex SUV were essentially flat.

The rest of the automakers will release their January sales numbers throughout the afternoon. Keep checking back here.

Follow me on Twitter at @theticker

By Frank Ahrens  |  February 2, 2010; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  The Ticker  | Tags: Ford, Toyota, auto sales
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stocks rally at midday
Next: Sen. Gregg hammers Orszag on unspent bailout funds

Comments

GM and Chrysler will never recover because people are boycotting their products due to Obama and his UAW thugs' illegal takeover of those companies. As the last independent US company, Ford will be the big beneficiary.

Posted by: pgr88 | February 2, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead, buy a Ford product.

I stopped buying them 20 years ago because they lived down to their decades-old reputation for bad ignition and bad transmission systems. And today my friends with Fords tell me little has changed.

Of course, you have to try to keep Fords on the road to realize that difference. And that'll cost you big time.

Try AAMCO.

Posted by: kinkysr | February 2, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

GM helped by IRS regulations which encouraged the use of gas guzzling SUV's like the Yukon, Tahoe and Suburban are still not selling because they are still only offering gas hogs.

Posted by: metroman76 | February 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

See, I've had the opposite luck. Our '78 Chrysler hit 175,000 miles. The '85 Chrysler hit 225,000 miles before it became too pricey to fix. Since then had a couple Fords (leases at first) and never had a single problem. I've had one Honda Accord, and it was a disaster - transmission, cooling, electronics, emmissions. I freely will say yes, it could have been a fluke car, but left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by: salf | February 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kinkysr
-------------

I've had 3 Fords, all of which I drove over 160K. Never had any tranny or engine problems. I had a Nissan SUV that needed a new tranny at 60K.

I guess my cars weren't as smart as your condoms.

Posted by: anti-elitist | February 2, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I really cannot believe the hostility here over good news for AMERICAN car companies. PGR88, GM sales are UP 24% and their retail sales are UP 3% (please read). Kinkysr you do know about the Toyota recall? If not, google it and read.
Metroman76, GM sales are UP, again, please read. Additionally, GM is building an entire plant to produce electric engines--it was in the news this week, google it and you will see.

Finally, all I have to say is this is great news and as an AMERICAN, who cares about my country, I am VERY HAPPY. I am also happy that by helping the US automakers get through a rough patch, the US government has preserved what little industrial capacity we have left. We really cannot afford to lose any more.

Posted by: Prosperity2008 | February 2, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

So, there are 24% more dumba55es this year than there were last year who don't know how crappily made U.S. cars are.

Oh well, P.T. Barnum was right; there IS a sucker born every minute!

In no time all of these American made cars will be sucking up replacement parts and repair labor. American cars fall apart exactly when the warranty period ends and cost 10 or 20 times as much to maintain as Japanese cars and trucks.

But some people never learn. They keep buying crappy cars and trucks because they don't know any better. It's funny to think that somebody could be so stupid as to not realize that the reason they are always broke and in debt is because they have to throw $500 to $1000 bucks at their crappy U.S. built car every other month.

Posted by: Heerman532 | February 2, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Reading the other comments, I must say that I am incredulous. Not just with the examples cited, but that anybody, anywhere, at anytime, EVER owned an American made car that did not fall apart at 40,000 miles.

I've been through dozens; GMs for many years, fords, dodge trucks, buicks, you name it, I've had one break down on me in heavy city traffic at precisely the worst possible time.

In comparison, I have NEVER EVER been left on the side of the road in a Japanese car or truck. Hell, even when they get nails in the tires they hold enough air for me to get to the gas station. Curiously, some of those tires were American made, so I must assume they were engineered by the Japanese.

Yep, the same (exact) engineers that brought you the pinto, maverick, falcon, gremlin, rambler, skylark, montego and cutlass are now, in old age, bringing you the focus, 300 (don't call it a fairlane), 500, windstar (God what a disaster), and those same old crappy trucks.

Posted by: Heerman532 | February 2, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Wait, where's all the NeoCons screaming about how the numbers aren't accurate because of Cash for Clunkers, or a flippin' full moon on Tuesday, or whatever?
Get used to good news, Righties, and try not to let all the prosperity get you down

Posted by: DAMNEDGENTLEMEN | February 2, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

It's a sign of our times that misinformed and ignorant people generally express their mistaken notions in the most strident and forceful terms. The above comments are the sort of nonsense I run into on a daily basis. As a veteran of both domestic and import car sales for the last 24 years, I can tell you quite definitely that today's new new cars are more efficient, better engineered and much better in terms of build quality than ever. I have a 2010 Chevy Malibu on my show floor fully equipped for $17,999. This car has a highway mileage rating of 30 mpg and you could do better that that with not much effort.In comparison testing this car outperforms the Asian imports in many areas and is better in many more. For the past several years Honda, Toyota and Nissan have had to deal with record warranty claims without an appreciable loss of reputation. Meanwhile, Ford, Chevy and other domestic producers are subjected to the know-nothing drivel from the likes of the previous writers. In the age of Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter it's not important to know what you're talking about--it's more rewarding to express your agenda-driven hogwash loudly enough for the rubes to take it seriously. Some do.

Posted by: tkmullikin | February 2, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

For all of you American car haters posting out there I have to ask what good is a Japanese quality motor if the body rusts away in 10 years.

Posted by: metroman76 | February 2, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I've had two GM's and they have both held up wonderfully (Oldsmobiles no less!). I don't know why people have to hate so much! I plan on buying a Ford next time I need to.

People need to realize, that some Japanese cars are good, some are bad, some American cars are good, some are bad. It's the same all over the world!

Posted by: theleifmeister | February 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I have been buying nothing but Fords since 1989. Contrary to the Dumas below who says 70K, I haven't had a one go under 150K yet and not one of them...not one...has been in the shop for more than routine mx since I owned them. I've got three in my driveway now. I've got a 93 F-150 that still does everything I need it to do. I have a new Fusion Hybrid which is hands down the best car I have ever owned including the two Toyotas I mistakenly bought in the 80s. Ford makes great cars. Don't listen to dumases like kinksr.

Posted by: PanhandleWilly | February 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kinkysr
Of course anyone with the IQ of a condom blah blah blah

**************************************************

This was true a decade ago. It is also no longer the case. I bought my first Ford this June and it is high up on the quality food chain. I believe the numbers had it at #2 over Honda. Yea Toyota was #1.....before the recall. We'll see if I'll get 200K out of it or not. If I don't it'll be my last American car for at least another decade.

But I supported the UAW to keep America strong.....not to put in faulty pedals that drive you off a cliff like those backwards Southern yokels do.

Posted by: theobserver4 | February 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DAMNEDGENTLEMEN | February 2, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

=====================================
If things are so good why aren't the other auto makers doing well? The fact is Ford has products that people want and other car companies don't. As for cash for clunkers, you'll find that Ford didn't get nearly the share of the pie that Toyota, Honda or even Mazda got. When the DOW gets back to 14,500, I'll start singing about prosperity.

Posted by: thensell | February 2, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Heerman532 must own a Honda or Toyota dealership....

My dad is still driving a Ford Explorer with over 300k miles on it, my company car is a Malibu, has over 88k on it and my wife has a Saturn(RIP) with over 90k on it and all are going strong with very little maintenance required. Heerman, try changing the oil every once in a while, it does wonders for an internal combustion engine.

Posted by: sleastacks | February 2, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

God, I almost hurt myself from laughing so hard.

Ok, for those of you who still buy American cars, let me explain the difference in approach between the Japanese and American manufacturers.

1. Cars don't fail entirely, they fail at a component level.
2. U.S. manufacturers make zero effort to engineer components, well they might specify a housing size or bolt-placement, but that's it.
3. Japanese manufacturers continue to engineer quality into the components long, long after the financial return would justify it. That's because Jap engineers have a job for life. Somewhere in Yokohama, a group of engineers is in their 35th year of trying to eke another fraction of a percent of reliability into the Corolla starter motor. In comparison, the U.S. companies had Delco send over the cheapest thing that was on the shelf, said "put the bolt-holes here" and sold it in every GM made.
4. Japanese use Statistical Process Control for everything. vs. Americans, who are basically incapable of applied math - especially the union morons who build cars.

Yes, I've owned both over the last half century, but now I always look to make sure the VIN starts with a "J". I do however keep a Jeep Cherokee around just so I can be reminded every other month of why I don't buy U.S. cars anymore.

Face it, if the Japs every came to understand just how fat Americans are, and made the seats big enough to accomodate your average 350 pounder, the American companies wouldn't sell a single car. The only thing saving the U.S. car industry today is two words: "Bench" and "Seat".

Posted by: Heerman532 | February 2, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Look, every car is different. I brought a 1988 Pontiac 6000 (GM). I sold the car in 2007 to my ex-wife. The car had 225,000. The only problem in that time that I had it was a fuel pump that went bad at 180,000. My ex-wife drove that car for another two and half years (driving from Charlotte, NC to Athens GA every other week). She traded the car in with 304,000 (she only replaced the factory original starter and a battery). My current 1996 GMC Jimmy has 204,000 miles on it. I'm planning to get two more years out of it (maybe 230,000 by that time) before I buy a new GM pickup. So I don't want to hear the bad talk about all American products. I've had friends that have had great Hondas, Toyota's, and Nissan's but, some other friends had some bad experiences with each of those brands.

Posted by: michael1963 | February 2, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Ford....why would we buy another Ford after our experience with my wife's 96 Explorer?

It lasted 11 years and 114,00 miles before getting the boot. In 114,000 miles the transmission died ($2700 to replace), the tinfoil flywheel broke, which killed the torque converter ($2000 to repair) and a head gasket blew ($2000). This was despite maintaining the vehicle by the book. We sold it for a song to someone who rebuilt the heads as well as the bottom end of the engine. he did the labor himself. Parts alone cost him about $3000.

Ford charge my wife $36K when she purchased it in 1996. it incurred another $7K in unanticipated (major systems failing before expected end of service life) repairs over 114,000 miles.

Buy another Ford?

Surely you jest.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 2, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

BUY AMERICAN BRANDS of ANYTHING whenever possible. a bonus if the product has made in USA on it. as for vehicles,how many does one NEED.pi$$ing $$$$ away and then complaining about the economy. keep them until they drop.this is TRANSPORTATION,not a prize to show off.

Posted by: pofinpa | February 2, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thensell

***************************************************

Wow guy the article plainly states that GM is also doing well. You must have skipped over that fact to tear apart the Cash for Clunkers program which has been done and over with before these numbers could be accounted for.

Also I'll be jumping out of the stock market when we see the DOW hit 11,500 if we continue to watch big profits and little employment gains in the US. That just means we're sitting on a bubble. 14,500??? You're nuts!!!!

Posted by: theobserver4 | February 2, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Pofinpa, I agree.

I have lots of cars because I drive alot (30K a year) and have multiple kids that drive a lot. So, besides the fraud of car insurance, cars and related expenses are probably my largest cash expense.

For every car I've ever owned, I would sit down and figure out the cost per mile. I do this both while I own it, and then after it dies or gets sold.

The most cost efficient car in the world is one that's cheap, runs cheap and holds some resale. From my experience the very best deal you can get is with a late model used Jap car. They can be bought for $5K to $8K, run for 60,000 to 80,000 miles and then sold for $3K to $5K. This results in an avg cost per mile down around a nickel a mile plus gas and insurance. Gas is around 28mpg in them.

In contrast, the used late model American cars have higher maintenance, lower mpg (not so much anymore) and ZERO resale.

That's my personal experience.

And, no, I don't own a dealership. And I only buy cars from individuals. I hope all the car dealers on the planet go out of business.

Posted by: Heerman532 | February 2, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I won't even look at a GM or Chrysler. I'm still pissed that Obama forgave a 8 billion loan to Chrysler.

Posted by: FredKnowsBest | February 2, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

kinkysr, you must be driving a Yugo, the car of the year for the Obama Administration. I've had two Chevys, one, a 69 Impala, 350 v-8, ran up to 385,000 miles with two rebuilt engines and the same transmission. My 70 Suburban, 454 hp, is at 225,000 miles, with the same transmission. Eat your heart out, lummox, and stop wearing those condoms over your head.

Posted by: nmg3rln | February 2, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Yonkers, New York
02 February 2010

It looks like GM and Ford are benefiting from Toyota's present troubles.

They had very well take full advantage of it while they can because Toyota's present troubles cannot be permanent.

If former Toyota customers who have shifted are fully satisifed with GM and Ford cars now, then it is quite possible that many of them will stick to them next time around. That will prove a very good break for GM and Ford.

Mariano Patalinjug

Posted by: MPatalinjug | February 2, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

kinkysr said:
"Go ahead, buy a Ford product.
Of course anyone with the IQ of a condom knows that on average an American brand car is finished at 70,000 miles, while a Japanese auto will get you up to 200,000."

I have had a Toyota Supra and a Toyota 4-Runner. Neither were good, reliable vehicles.
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer that I purchased in 1998, have given it great care, and with 170,000 miles it has been a remarkable SUV - never a breakdown, dependable, handles great in snow and mountain passes, comfortable, many amenities, etc.

I think kinkysr is mistaken and does not have good advice.

Posted by: jrinmontana | February 2, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The main problem with American brands is not the craftsmanship, it's the design. Japanese automakers simply design better cars. We have the best-trained autoworkers in the world. What we need now is better people working at the drawing board.

Posted by: cutewithchrisfan | February 2, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I own two Toyota automobiles a 2009 and a 2006, and a Ford truck. Both Toyota's are much better products than the Ford, and not just because they are a lot newer than my Ford.

Posted by: screwjob11 | February 2, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

This report omitted that Hyundai's January sales were up, too.

"January Auto Sales: Hyundai Sales up 24 Percent"

Posted by: TalkingHead1 | February 2, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

pgr88

GM is going to pay back the federal loans by June. Got any more bogus info for us skippy?

Toyota had to be forced by the Dept of Transportation to do a recall. Anybody who'd buy a Jap car now is a fool.

Posted by: _Cowabunga_ | February 2, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I own two Toyotas (2009 and 2006) and a Ford truck. My Toyotas are better than the Ford all around and not just because they are newer vehicles.

Posted by: screwjob11 | February 2, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Nobody should gloat or be happy about Toyota's recent problems.

Fact of the matter is, most Toyota's sold in this country are built in this country. Those are American jobs at stake. Shutdowns in their production are going to severely affect Americans who build those cars for a living.

We are a global economy, many Ford's are built in foreign countries.

Posted by: ctbeachbm | February 2, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Amazing how many Americans hate America.

Posted by: onifadee | February 2, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, Let me see heah, the American Parts
--- Don’t cause unbridled acceleration to your death (oh yeah, except in Toyotas *wink*)
--- American Brakes work when you need them to
--- American computers always give the brake priority (in case your coffee mug wedges the gas pedal down)
--- American Tires don’t Explode

Annnnnd, Japanese parts do the opposite.

OK, I’ll have . . . let’s see heah . . . umm, AMERICAN PARTS . . . in annnn AMERICAN CAR then please!

Posted by: OneEyedViper | February 2, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Ford Super Duty Trucks ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Real Men drive Fords.
Homosexuals drive Toyota

Posted by: AlbyVA | February 2, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Correct Ct;

Many Toyotas ARE built in Amurica!
Camry's - Ohio.
Trucks - San Antonio, Texas

Meanwhile, Los Fords are hecho'd by los mexicanos in Saltillo/Monterrey Meh-hee-co!

Aye Carrumba! No wonder the quality es NO BUENO!

Ford's also have less domestic content than Toyota's do. There's about 60% DC in a Toyota to only 40% in Los Fordos. Most Ford content comes from los mexicanos also.

Posted by: Heerman532 | February 2, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, of course, if we disagree with you about what type of car to purchase, then we hate A-mur-i-cuh.

Got it.

Moron.

Posted by: Heerman532 | February 2, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgr88 | February 2, 2010 1:34 PM -------------------------

What a load of BS!! People don't by GM or Chrysler b.c they make SH!TTY cars! End of story. I would even accept one for free.

Posted by: B-rod | February 2, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha ha ooh ha ha ha, all the doomsayers crying foul, it's BS, all lies, ha ha ha. Toyota going down, ha ha. Time to eat some crow for some of our back seat experts. Due to the brilliance of President Obama and his team our car companies have turned the corner.

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | February 2, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Heerman532:

YOU’RE A BOLD FACED LIAR. All anyone has to do is look at the stickers. Japanese cars typically have 12% or less American content. All the American cars except the 1 or 2 models made in Korea (Aveo) have at least 71% with many in the 80s (out of a dozen I checked recently over this exact argument with another liar like you). The important issue is where the profit for the finished product goes. When you buy a Japanese car, it goes to Japan and stays there.

Japanese car makers subsidized by their government to STEAL market share from AMERICAN makers, directly caused the loss of MILLIONS of jobs and closings of DOZENS of American factories (auto & parts makers). Their 3 factories they built and the handful of desperate workers they put out of work then RE-hired – cheap – so they can cheat and avoid American Tariffs is not “creating American jobs”.

American cars are BETTER than Japanese cars. We all see it with Ford Fusion Hybrid getting 8 MPG BETTER than Camry Hybrid for one and American cars don’t accelerate people to their deaths (and have obvious failsafes that HONDA and TOYOTA overlooked).

You live here, yeah? . . . (or Japan?) You spew all these lies hoping to influence dumb people to build Japan and tear down American Industry. That’s the work of either an idiot or a traitor. You should move to Japan if you want to support your Japanese Masters so badly.

When our industry is gone, it’s GONE like the electronics industry. When autos are gone, we’ll be in a permanent recession like most of Europe with no way out. NONE of us will escape that (if you don’t realize that now, you’re dumb as a rock).

Posted by: OneEyedViper | February 2, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I hear Toyota is having a two for one sale, buy two junks and get one junk free.

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | February 2, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I am always astonished how overall good news for American companies can get trashed out so hatefully and viciously by the same people who claim that Obama is a socialist and a commie for trying to bring health care costs under control.

I wonder if these are the same rightest morons that make speeches and pontificate about the huge deficits, while at the same time fighting tooth and nail against any type of measure that would bring those same deficits under control.

Posted by: reussere | February 2, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Bad for Toyota. The latest news is that TOYOTA MIGHT NOT EVEN REALLY KNOW WHAT'S WRONG with their vehicles. Steve Wozniak, Apple co-founder, stated Toyota's have massive software glitches that can cause rapid and uncontrollable acceleration, anytime. They (Toyota) are just guessing the problem is with the gas pedals or floor mats. Not good for Toyota at all.

Posted by: magnifco1000 | February 2, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Toyota has really been getting a free ride for years. There have been several known engine problems with Toyotas and owners are hot! These problems were known but have been pretty kept a low media profile.

Another problem I just found out about today from someone I work with who had her accelerator get stuck about 6 months ago, she knew what to though, stand on the brakes, and put it in neutral. She did stand but thinks she damaged her engine because because when she put it in neutral the revs jumped past the redline for way to long while getting the car under control. The problem is Toyota does not want to be responsible for any engine damage caused. The car now smokes.

Posted by: BeaverCleavage | February 2, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

GM and Ford have re-extended the Cash for Clunkers program. Trade in your Toyota for a GM or Ford and get a cash back. The Toyotas will not be resold to endanger others but will be crushed and recycled for scrap.

Posted by: matrox | February 2, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Correct Ct;

Many Toyotas ARE built in Amurica!
Camry's - Ohio.
Trucks - San Antonio, Texas

-----------------------
Yep...and the American workers get their share of about $15 an hour and the rest goes back to Japan. Problem now is those workers get nothing because the factories are shutdown. If they had a union they would still be getting paid. I bet those union flyers look pretty enticing at about now.

Posted by: matrox | February 2, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Toyota had to be forced into doing the recall. When they announced it, they acted like they were the ones who spotted problem and were only acting in the best interests of their customers. Screw Toyota, never trust those Jap a-holes.

Posted by: _Cowabunga_ | February 2, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Honda rules.

Posted by: blakesouthwood | February 2, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

HONDAs Don’t have the Failsafe Throttle Override that All AMERICAN cars have either.

Your Honda must not have the same BAD Computer that Toyota obviously has . . BUT, if your throttle ever gets stuck for ANY other reason (something falls down by your feet, the throttle gets sticky over time or from old gas, or any other reason) your HONDA will not stop either. Right here in an article, HONDA said they don’t have the failsafe and actually defended not having it (otherwise, they’d have to spend money and of course money is more important to them then fixing an obvious safety oversight).

Posted by: OneEyedViper | February 2, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

LOL! :-D

Somebody mentioned the Cash for Clunkers...

Let's see;

Best I can recall;

#1 in Clunker related sales: COROLLA!

#4: CAMRY

#5: Prius!

3 out of the top 5 Spots...

Toyota is just Sooooooooooo "Hurting"! :-o

Reality check time folks!

Most Toyotas sold in the American Market,

are made here!

Posted by: SAINT---The | February 2, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I second the comments from panhandelwilly - I have bought only Fords for 25 years. I still kick myself for giving away a Festiva because of an interstate move, then hearing from several owners who had Festivas up to 250,000 mi with only routine maintenance. Ditto for my old Torino and my first Festiva, both lost when other drivers totalled them (their fault).

Now I have a 2003 Focus, 125,000 mi, so far only one new alternator and the timing chain @ 120K of course. I plan to keep that for years along with my brand new Ranger. I don't know where y'all live, but in my 'hood the Rangers and F-series everywhere say it all.

The only vehicle I ever had a big problem with was a 1990 Honda Accord inherited from Mom, auto trans went up at 100K, I was told later a chronic problem with that year/model, followed by an unfindable oil leak. Different brand cars seem to work well for different people, but I surely don't understand the cult-like loyalty to foreign cars over some very well-built, reliable American models.

"I have been buying nothing but Fords since 1989. Contrary to the Dumas below who says 70K, I haven't had a one go under 150K yet and not one of them...not one...has been in the shop for more than routine mx since I owned them. I've got three in my driveway now. I've got a 93 F-150 that still does everything I need it to do. ..... Ford makes great cars....."

Posted by: davidwatching | February 2, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Most are NOT made here. In fact, NONE of them are actually MADE here like a GM, FORD, or CHRYSLER, bolt by bolt in a factory. Toyota pre-assembles modules in Japan, China, and Vietnam, ships them here, then simply "connects" those modules in their 3 factories that replaced the DOZENS of American Factories they caused to close with unfair trade practices.

The ONLY reason they do that is to save money. By assembling the modules here, they CHEAT on our Tariffs, so America LOSES on that as well.

As for all the people who bought DEATH TRAP TOYOTAS using Cash for Clunker money, they deserve what they bought with AMERICAN TAX MONEY. Keep your hand on the shifter and hope you're not approaching a busy intersection or T in the road, or a deer jumps into traffic when you Toyota decides to run Full Throttle.

Posted by: OneEyedViper | February 2, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Not only are Toyotas NOT made here as I pointed out above, but the much more important issue is where the money goes when you buy one.

WHEN YOU BUY A JAPANESE CAR, YOUR MONEY GOES TO JAPAN AND DOES NOT CYCLE BACK HERE. IT'S ==LOST== AMERICAN WEALTH THAT BUILDS JAPAN AND ETCHES AWAY AT OUR ECONOMY. THE ONE ==YOU== LIVE IN.

When our industry is gone (like the electronics industry) it doesn't come back. We have very little industry left. When each goes, we are PERMANENTLY reducing our standard of living here. When enough is gone, we'll be in a permanent recession like most of Europe where psychiatry is the most lucrative profession treating everyone for depression.

Posted by: OneEyedViper | February 2, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

How is this news? Ford is the only one of the big three still breathing. How could Toyota sales not fall in January? The company voluntarily halted all sales of their most popular model cars? Gee - do ya think that might affect sales figures?

Posted by: free-donny | February 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse