2.7%  Q1 GDP    4.57%  avg. 30-year mortgage     9.5%  Unemployment

Consumer confidence rebounds in March, conflicts with last week's data

The March consumer confidence index came in at 52.5, up from 46.4 in February, slightly beating forecasts, the Conference Board said moments ago.

This marks a rebound to January levels, which hit 56.5.

The Conference Board index is one of two prominent monthly measures of consumer confidence, the other being the Reuters/University of Michigan number. That number came out last week and showed essentially no change from February.

So we've got conflicting numbers between the new major indexes. Obviously, each poll has different methodology. The Conference Board's index is based on a monthly survey of 5,000 U.S. households, for instance.

Follow me on Twitter at @theticker.

By Frank Ahrens  |  March 30, 2010; 10:21 AM ET
Categories:  The Ticker  | Tags: consumer confidence
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stocks up slightly at opening following home-price news
Next: NHTSA hires underemployed NASA engineers to figure out Toyota problems

Comments

This data must be a result of creative manipulation.

The Obama administration is getting good at creative manipulation.

Posted by: OldHippie | March 30, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like the red box concept of yours kind of problem. NASA is going to investigate the Toyota black box problem. I got the plumbing for laughing gas and the runaway acceleration.

Posted by: tossnokia | March 30, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"At a moment when millions of Americans are looking for work, Democrats in Washington just voted to spend $2.6 trillion on a health care bill that will make it even harder to create private-sector jobs," he said.

Going forward, Democrats appear to be linking their other agenda items to the economy, arguing -- as Obama did with health care reform -- that pursuing reforms in other areas will ultimately be done for the greater economic good.

Obama pitched financial regulatory reform in his radio address two weekends ago as a safeguard against another Wall Street-driven economic collapse.

"The fact is, it's now been well over a year since the near collapse of the entire financial system -- a crisis that helped wipe out more than 8 million jobs and that continues to exact a terrible toll throughout our economy. Yet today the very same system that allowed this turmoil remains in place.

Posted by: Micholina1 | March 30, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

THEY ARE SO FULL OF C--P! SINCE ELECTRIC AN GAS WENT UP FOR MANY YEARS NOW. IT IS DICTATING ANYTHING ECONOMICALLY WELL THERE YA GO BIG OIL! I HAVE NOT BEEN IN A MALL FOR 12 YEARS NOW! I DON'T BUY GAS WITH GULF, TEXACO, CHEVRON, SHELL, PHILLIPS, 7-11'S. I DON'T GO TOO COMMERCIAL GROCERIES STORES ANYMORE. I GO THE THE BASE WHERE FOOD IS 30% CHEAPER. I BUY MY GAS WITH MURPHY OIL WHOM IS THE ONLY ONE TO SAY NO TO HIGH GAS PRICES. I CAN ONLY SHOP AT DISCOUNT STORES FOR CLOTHING WHEN NEEDED OR SECOND HAND STORE. I NEVER GOING INTO BEST BUY, WAL-MART, TARGET. I NEVER GO OUT TO EAT IN RESTERAUNTS ANYMORE. I NEVER GO TOO FAST FOOD CHAINS EITHER. I NEVER EVER GO TOO HOTELS. ENTERTAINMENT HAS COME TO A COMPLETE STOP. NOW I KNOW I'AM NOT THE ONLY HAS BEEN PUT IN THIS POSITION. NOW ALL YOU A--HOLES TELL THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS ECONOMY!

Posted by: JWTX | March 30, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Funny, I would have sworn my confidence had ebbed even more... my lack of confidence is swelling however... the more billions I see thrown on washingtoon dc is like throwing gasoline on a fire...

Posted by: Wildthing1 | March 30, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

This data must be a result of creative manipulation.

The Obama administration is getting good at creative manipulation.

Posted by: OldHippie | March 30, 2010 10:40 AM

==============

So good they're even able to manipulate privately collected data. Pretty soon they'll be manipulating your brain directly. You need to double up on the layer of aluminum foil in your hat.

Still shorting the equities market? No doubt that has worked real well for you.

Posted by: James10 | March 30, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

And what are the "consumer confidence" numbers for the unemployed?
From what I see, the unemployment rates remain stagnant....How does that help those looking for work?

Posted by: SeniorVet | March 30, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Consumer confidence? What is that? How about consumer ignorance? That sounds better doesn't it? Let me spend over 2 trillion of your dollars and another 2.5 trillion this year and I'll show you an improved economy. For the money they spent, we sure got screwed.

Posted by: mgilbo | March 30, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse