2.7%  Q1 GDP    4.57%  avg. 30-year mortgage     9.5%  Unemployment

June auto sales: GM, Ford down 13%, Chrysler down 12%

UPDATED with more automakers reporting at 1:45 p.m.:

Detroit's Big Three automakers saw June sales drop between 12 and 13 percent as auto buyers pulled back last month.

General Motors' June sales dropped 13 percent compared with May, a sign that the overheated vehicle-sales month of May might have been an aberration.

In some good news for the company, sales were up 11 percent from one year ago, and June sales of the company's four core brands that it is keeping -- Chevy, GMC, Buick and Cadillac -- were up 36 percent over June 2009.

The company, which is still 61-percent owned by the government, is working on its IPO, which is expected later this year or early next.

Ford said June sales also were down 13 percent compared to May, but up 15 percent over last June. Ford is the only one of the Big Three to not take a government bailout and it has been rewarded by stealing market share from GM and other automakers.

Chrysler said June sales were down 12 percent compared to May, but up a whopping 35 percent compared to June 2009. But before you get all excited, Chrysler's 2009 sales were by far the worst of the Big Three.

Here's a surprise: Subaru's June sales were down 9 percent from May. Subaru has been the magical mystery of the auto industry, recording double-digit sales gains each month prior to June. And, indeed, Subaru's June 2010 sales were up 16 percent compared to June 2009.

Korean automaker Hyundai showed a 4 percent sales increase in June compared to May and a 35 percent jump from June 2009.

All major automakers will report their June sales today. Check back for updates.

By Frank Ahrens  |  July 1, 2010; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  Autos
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New weekly jobless claims rise by 13,000, surprising forecasters
Next: Economic data out today suggest economic recovery cannot continue without government help

Comments

Go to a car show. GM makes nothing under $35K that is worthy of buying. And who spends more than $35K on a car when you can buy a used one that's 2 years old that's way more bang for the buck?

Beyond that, you're utterly foolish to buy a car in the next three to five years. The new CAFE standards make everything on the road and anything bought new in the next few years obsolete, period, hybrid or not. The depreciation will be catastrophic, esp if fuel prices go up, so why, if you needed a newer vehicle would anyone buy anything new?

Third reason: tax refund checks have been spent, and the stock market has given folks nothing to pull a few thousand $ out to even think of a big purchase. Until we see more green energy and biotech stocks pop, big purchases are going to be flat-line until Feb-April 2011.

Posted by: NovaMike | July 1, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I see Hyundai is finally getting the respect they deserve. The Sonata is one of the best buys on the market as is the Nissan Altama

Posted by: LDTRPT25 | July 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I quit buying GM cars after the UAW stole 10 billion from the GM shareholders.

Posted by: economy48 | July 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it? I would never buy a US car. Bad quality and more expensive! US car companies need to get real. Why would I pay more for a cr@p vehicle that is made here and should be less expensive!!?? Are they completely nuts? However, I do like US trucks. I have a Ford and I love it. Every US car I owned sucked.

Posted by: dorklord | July 1, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I bought a new Hyundai Elantra in May which was the top rated compact car in Consumer Reports for reliability, and by J.D. Powers for quality. The car is flawless, quiet, comfortable, gets 33 MPG in 50% city driving (better than the EPA rating), and comes with a 10 year warranty. It cost thousands less than a Honda or Toyota and is a better car too I own late-model Toyota too and like the Hyundai better. The Hyundai Sonata is a fine car too. These cars are a steal for the price.

It is no surprise that Hyundai sales are up 35% in a year.

I will never buy a GM piece of junk. Chrysler is not even worth mentioning.

Posted by: screwjob16 | July 1, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"The company, which is still 61-percent owned by the government..."
--------------
Gee, how can that be? I've seen all the commercials alledging they've paid back the taxpayer. More lies, more reason NOT to buy GM.

Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | July 1, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"The company, which is still 61-percent owned by the government..."
--------------

Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | July 1, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Forget about GM and immigration. Obama, you need to work on jobs in the private sector. This democrat will not vote for your party unless I see a sharp upturn in jobs. You keep on working on the wrong things. Stop pandering to the Hispanic vote get with it on jobs. Gee, how stupid can you get.

Posted by: farmsnorton | July 1, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow what a bunch turds you guys are in total. GM sales are up among it's four core brands 36%. That is awesome. As for them not building a decent car for under $35,000, I say Camaro, Malibu, Equinox, Sierra, Traverse, Regal, LaCrosse, Terrain, Silverado, Acadia. All of those are award winning vehicles.
Toyota is recalling 270,000 vehicles because the engines are blowing.
But really by all means keep buying those cars, but when I pass you broken down on the side of the road I will not stop to help.

Posted by: stevepj | July 1, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

dorklord:
"I don't get it? I would never buy a US car. Bad quality and more expensive! US car companies need to get real. Why would I pay more for a cr@p vehicle that is made here and should be less expensive!!??"

US cars are now better (in initial quality at least) than imports.

Posted by: presto668 | July 1, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Obama gets in office and Unions jump for glee - no need for profit we got subsidies!

So next he names a Chairman for GM. And guess what? The newly appointed chairman of GM, Edward Whitacre, Jr., has zero experience with cars -- and he's okay with that. Ed tells the the world with pride: "I don't know anything about cars,"

“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.” - Winston Churchill

Posted by: 2009frank | July 1, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

presto668 wrote:
US cars are now better (in initial quality at least) than imports.

---------------
JD Power is a US owned company by McGraw-Hill another US owned company. Of course they would say this. Especially in this climate of post bail out and failure. Please. In one year US car companies are top in quality since their own demise? For 20+ years they have sucked. Can they really think we are that gullible? I guess?

Posted by: dorklord | July 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Every American made car that I have owned has been a disaster. Everybody I know who has owned an American car has had nothing but trouble and eventually traded it for an import.

Posted by: djrhood | July 1, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

what economy48 said, yea,what he said.

Posted by: 12thgenamerican | July 1, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

My comments about "under 35K" were based on driving them, not reliability, initial quality or whatever. I've driven several American vehicles as rentals, for example, the Chevy Malibu and the G6. They're boats. They float, have horrible visibility and the seating position, and while the controls, etc etc are improved, but I cannot see spending money on a car like that when I can spend less money on a 2-yr old Acura or Honda or Infinity and get a better car. And it will be on par with a Buick AND STILL have a better warranty as cert pre-owned than a new Buick will! And I've driven Kia and Hyundai as rentals. Simple and compliant. I'd rather spend my money on an Optima, Rondo, Elantra than a Malibu or G6; although I will admit the last Sonata I drove wasn't any better... it just costs thousands less. They all do and they do it without trying harder than they should, if that makes any sense.

And ANY new car still will be obsolete by new CAFE standards, let alone market shifts. It just doesn't make any sense to buy a new vehicle for the next few years (if ever).

Posted by: NovaMike | July 1, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

GM's IPO? What astute investor would buy stock in a company that was stolen from its stock holders and creditors by Obama less than 18 months ago? And who would want to own stock in a company that is 39% owned by the UAW?

It is a recipe for financial disaster.

Posted by: mike85 | July 2, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Recently I am attructed by this website,

wealthymingle.NET,

it is the first, largest and most effective site in the world to connect with, date, and marry successful, beautiful people.

Posted by: rexchen5376 | July 2, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Hi,everyone,life is too lonely for most of us.Do you hope your life is more colorful? If you want to make your life more wonderful,
if you want to seek romance or date sb. ,please hit
wealthymingle.net.
Welcome !

Posted by: rexchen5376 | July 2, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I's take the job of one of their CEOs except for the $1.00 U.S. a year salary.

Posted by: deepthroat21 | July 2, 2010 3:42 AM | Report abuse