Tab Dump

The Tim Duy economic analysis everyone is talking about!

Couldn't decide whether to put this in tab dump or not.

Why I'm not renewing my subscription to Cook's Illustrated.

How to improve the Waxman-Markey climate bill.

Also, it's a weekend tab dump, so I'll leave you with a question: I'm in the market for a good, well, book. Wha'choo reading?

By Ezra Klein  |  May 29, 2009; 6:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: You've Got Questions: Health Reform's Cost Paradox
Next: How Should Congress Respond to George Tiller's Murder?

Comments

It's a little old now (say a year) but Ethan Canin's America, America is my start-the-summer book pick. As added enticement, Canin is a Harvard-educated doctor who manages to fit health care and politics into his novel.

Posted by: SaturnSmith | May 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, or if nonfiction is more up your ally, maybe some "Washington's Crossing" by Hackett. Get into the insurgent warfare of those crazy kids from "the Jerseys."

Posted by: Okobojicat | May 29, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"End of Food" by Paul Roberts should be up your alley.

Posted by: tyronen | May 29, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Try Indignation by Philip Roth, I thought it was great.

Posted by: StephenBank | May 29, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

At the moment I'm reading Iceland's Bell by Halldor Laxness and a Thorstein Veblen collection I bought used. If you haven't read that The Panic of 1907 book it isn't bad and kind of relevant to today's events. Also, Ezra, if you like biographies, you should read the Keynes biography by Robert Skidelsky--or if you want some relatively light stuff by the man himself, get a copy of Essays in Persuasion.

Posted by: Castorp1 | May 29, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this is a really wonderful, fun, suprising novel: Measuring the World: A Novel by Daniel Kehlmann

Posted by: Castorp1 | May 29, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm working my way through a pretty amazing recent novel called "The Children's Hospital" by Chris Adrian. It is difficult to say what this book *isn't* about, but for one thing, it takes place in a post-apocalyptic children's hospital. The young author is a pediatrician and a theologian-in-training. An utterly singular and unexpected book!

Posted by: andybrommel | May 30, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

"witness in palestine"
by anna baltzer
a jewish~american woman in the occupied territories

Posted by: jkaren | May 30, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

American Colonies, by Alan Taylor

Posted by: teacher508a | May 30, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

just finished reading "ten days that shook the world". if you weren't forced to read it in college or high school, you should do so now. eyewitness account of the october 1917 revolution in russia. it's inspiring, if, of course, somewhat misguided. moreover, it draws you in to a world and a cast of characters that we should all know better.

Posted by: navins | May 30, 2009 4:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm about halfway through Grimus, Salman Rushdie's first novel. It's so good that I've actually spent several hours of reading time not reading it, but sitting with it in my lap while I think over the ideas that it has sparked in my mind.

Posted by: benjaminstuermer | May 30, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Teacher: American colonies is really great. Since reading it, I think that high schoolers should supplement their textbooks with it when talking about the colonization of North America. It's non-teleological view is refreshing in a book of history aimed at the general public.

Posted by: Castorp1 | May 30, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

some recent good ones: Guests of the Ayatollah, Charlie Wilson's War (much better than the movie, which I thought was pretty good), sort of good and public-healthy was Colony: The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai.

Posted by: ThomasEN | May 30, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

1. The new John Cheever biography is terrific - really a model of the form.
2. Keith Roberts "The Ends of Life" - I'm looking forward to this one since his "Religion and the Decline of Magic' is one of best works of history I've ever read.
3. Robert Wright's new book should be out this week.

Posted by: hsny | May 30, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

You've probably read it already, but _Working_ by Studs Terkel is pretty darn insightful.

Posted by: paladinqb | May 30, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't already, read anything by PG Wodehouse--preferably a Jeeves story. It's pretty much the best comedic writing in existence.

Start with Carry On Jeeves:

Posted by: thedavidmo | May 31, 2009 5:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm currently reading Reviel Netz's Barbed Wire: An Ecology of Modernity. This is a beautiful and stunning book, that tries to understand modernity through the history of barbed wire. Part of what makes this book so stunning is that it takes seriously both the history of people, and our co-joined history with animals.
Anyone serious about understanding the connections of current factory farming practices to the current relationship of Israel and Palestine (along with many other connections) needs to read this book, yesterday.

Its thesis is controversial and clear. Its prose is strong and beautiful. The scope is large and firm. A joy to read.

Posted by: thescuspeaks | May 31, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

thescuspeaks

you did justice to the book, with your fine synopsis.

Posted by: jkaren | June 1, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

"The Yiddish Policeman's Union"

"Lavinia"-by Ursula K. LeGuin--her best book in years. Really wonderful