Tough Calls

I can't decide if the Google Wave seems extremely exciting or extremely annoying. Thoughts?

By Ezra Klein  |  May 29, 2009; 2:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your World in Charts: Debtor Nation
Next: School Segregation and Teacher Quality

Comments

How delightful. All the worst elements of Facebook, Twitter, and Gmail chewed up, choked down and vomited into a square toilet bowl. Google's engineers are technically competent, which is more than you can say for Microsoft's, but they still have absolutely no sense of taste or good visual design. This is why talented graphic designers have been fleeing the Googleplex, and here you see the results.

Posted by: tbomb | May 29, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: scott1959 | May 29, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

How about extremely meh?

Posted by: evenadog | May 29, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me like a potential game-changer in how we communicate on the Internet. Open source, robust, able to blend all the disparate conversations you're having across the web into one common interface. It could really be pretty revolutionary.

OTOH, it could be a complete wash when it comes to scaling and privacy concerns with regards to what data Google might be able to collect through the use of their API.

But right now, from where I'm sitting I'm cautiously optimistic.

Posted by: balerion | May 30, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It looks like an excellent replacement for actually having a clue as to what is going on. It's sort of like copying articles or recording television shows rather than reading or watching them. I'll bet it will help lots of people pretend to be keeping up. It's sort of the way Twitter lets you pretend to have friends.

Posted by: earther | May 30, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

One thing I think makes sense is changing the communication metaphor from "sending stuff back and forth" to "throwing everything into a big bin". Actually I think I would have liked it a lot better if they called it "box" or "bin" or something instead of "Wave". But I guess that's what the marketing folks wanted.

Posted by: thedavidmo | May 31, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse