Setting the Record Straight on George Tiller

Tiller was best known for the abortive services his clinic provided -- in particular, late-term abortions in severe cases where the health of the mother was threatened. But part of the importance of Tiller's legacy was that his clinic was not about abortion. It was about reproduction. Women who wanted to terminate their pregnancy were helped. But women who wanted to have a child, or ensure their infant's health, also turned to Tiller. Loree, a patient of Tiller's, remembers:

In 1980 I was pregnant with my first child. I had no insurance and couldn't afford a doctors appointment until I was approved for a medical card. Mom told Dr. Tiller and he brought me into his office where he examined me, free of charge. I can credit him with the very first picture taken of my son.

The last story I have to share is about my friends who could not have children. Dr. Tiller’s office worked with several attorneys in the Wichita area to provide adoption services for his patients who wanted this option. My friends have a 10 yr. old boy now, who is loved and adored.

It sounds trite, but Tiller's legacy was not about abortion. It was about choice. And so was his murder.

By Ezra Klein  |  June 1, 2009; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lunch Break Goes All Free Culture On You
Next: It Was Lyndon Johnson in the Roosevelt Room with the Tax Cut!

Comments

"... where the health of the mother was threatened."

Does that include depression?

Posted by: ElViajero1 | June 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

imagine...snuffing out a human life, as a way to make a statement about the sanctity of human life.

sometimes, when i lament over the news, i think about what life would be like, if by any chance, mccain and palin had won the election. after all, stranger things have happened.
the fact that sanity prevailed, gives me hope in these grim moments, that all is not lost.

and el viajero....
do you think that depression is sometimes not life-threatening?

Posted by: jkaren | June 1, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I eagerly await the outrage of all those who railed against Obama's weak connection with a domestic terrorist to decry this act of domestic terrorism.

Watching the videos that have popped up around the internet of Bill O'Reilly talking about Tiller has me truly sickened. What a disgraceful human being.

Posted by: Matt40 | June 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Matt40, you will get your chance to see Bill-O comment on all of this tonight on his show, should you need to induce vomiting for some reason.
No doubt Bill-O will insist, ten different ways, that he never advocated for the murder of Dr. Tiller, followed by his new outrage which will be a list of other names of other doctors that he is going to target next.

Posted by: fishermansblues | June 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If Roeder is found guilty the punihment should the same as Timmy McVeighs'.

Posted by: par4 | June 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"...do you think that depression is sometimes not life-threatening?"

Was that required to be demonstrated by a psychiatrist in advance? Probably not.

The "I'm depressed" out is just that ....an out. It's crap.

Posted by: ElViajero | June 2, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I eagerly await the discussion of Muhommed, a Muslim convert, that gunned down two soldiers in broad daylight in Arkansas.
The left will be silent on this terrorism.

Posted by: ElViajero | June 2, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Whitewash! Many abortion providers wont do past 10 week gestation procedures for fear of killing 14 week old fetuses -- under the normal two week error range -- whom they consider to be human beings. When artificial wombs become extant I believe 14 weekers will be recognized as legal persons -- on size alone.

Tiller's specialty was operating one of three clinics in the nation that would kill 20 week and older human babies -- for any excuse. The Roe Court may have drawn the killing line at viability (with no explanation beyond the definition of viability according to the two most quoted liberal law professors in the country: Lawrence Tribe and John Hart Ely) but even abortion providers almost universally draw the line at 20 weeks.

It has been known for 100 years -- due to the history of brain injuries -- that the seat of our motivations is housed in a pea sized structure: the mid-brain or reptilian brain or limbic system. Which pea brain is why a million lawyers will rise for the judge without ever considering: I don't have to salute the flat -- the non-connecting brain. The non-thinking brain is also unable to even imagine a PERSONAL IDENTITY for an individual unborn baby -- which allows us to allow killing without conscience, non-connecting Ezra.

Posted by: DenisDrew | June 2, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse