The State of Play in Finance

Shailagh Murray and Lori Montgomery have a good look at the state of play within the Finance Committee's negotiations on the health care bill. They've cut subsidies and coverage provisions. They're closing in on the magic $1 trillion number. They're undecided on the public plan but focusing on some sort of compromise built around co-ops. The bill is likely to include substantial future cuts in Medicaid and Medicare and a $300 billion tax on employer health benefits. "Prospects for bipartisan support appear to have brightened," write Murray and Montgomery.

By Ezra Klein  |  June 26, 2009; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  Health Reform
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An Insufficient Respect For Charts
Next: A Question of Priorities

Comments

Baucus has cut all the liberal dem senator out of the negiotation. While his "coalition of the willing" might agree to something, I doubt it could get enough votes in the full senate.

Posted by: JonWa | June 26, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

That bill needs to be killed. I do not support increasing taxes without a public plan, a guarantee of increase coverage, and reduced costs - now I pay over $7,000 per year out of pocket for my employer plan. Offset the reductions there by taxes is okay. But to be sure I want to see the taxes contingent on the reductions in out of pocket costs.

Posted by: sailor0245 | June 26, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

They're deliberately hiding the details and making it impossible for anyone to follow what's going on. So I have to settle for a proxy: if it's bipartisan, it's gonna stink.

Posted by: bcamarda2 | June 26, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I think it's smart of Baucus to wait until after the 4th of July recess to reveal the details of his new pared down plan. Releasing it now, if it was ready, would just give opponents 10 days to lobby against specifics. As it is, you better plan to go on a river rafting trip in August, because the TV and radio ads are going to be intense!

Posted by: LindaB1 | June 26, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"The bill is likely to include substantial future cuts in Medicaid and Medicare..."

I'm not surprised that various parties find Medicare a tempting target to free up dollars for healthcare reform. But I'm somewhat surprised they're being so open about it, so early. I can't imagine the politics of this will help the cause of getting a bill through. I mean, it's usually better to have the AARP for you then against you. But then again, I haven't heard much in the way of objections from this quarter, either, which is also surprising.

Posted by: Jasper99 | June 26, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

What a nightmare. Who are these people? This is simply put, a complete set of poison pills that will allow the Republicans to demagogue their way to opposing ANY reform.

Conrad should immediately resign and collect $30M directly from the insurance companies. Halliburton took a much greater risk in paying off Cheney in advance...

Posted by: Dollared | June 26, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse