Memories

I imagine that when Sonia Sotomayor is putting together her scrapbook of memories from the time she was nominated for the United States Supreme Court, this will be a page she'll particularly treasure:

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R., Ala.), seeking to discredit Judge Sonia Sotomayor’s judicial philosophy, cited her 2001 “wise Latina” speech, and contrasted the view that ethnicity and sex influence judging with that of Judge Miriam Cedarbaum, who “believes that judges must transcend their personal sympathies and prejudices.”

“So I would just say to you, I believe in Judge Cedarbaum’s formulation,” Sessions told Sotomayor.

“My friend Judge Cedarbaum is here,” Sotomayor riposted, to Sessions’s apparent surprise. “We are good friends, and I believe that we both approach judging in the same way, which is looking at the facts of each individual case and applying the law to those facts.”

Cedarbaum agreed.

“I don’t believe for a minute that there are any differences in our approach to judging, and her personal predilections have no affect on her approach to judging,” she told Washington Wire. “We’d both like to see more women on the courts,” she added.

By Ezra Klein  |  July 14, 2009; 1:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lunch Break
Next: Spending Like Cats and Dogs

Comments

If only I had cspan streaming...

Link?

Posted by: bdub78 | July 14, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

BURN!!! (In Ashton Kutcher voice)

Posted by: mezcalero | July 14, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Never mind.

Posted by: bdub78 | July 14, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

that must have been a great moment to witness!

Posted by: jkaren | July 14, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Cedarbaum: "I heard, I heard what you were saying. You, you know nothing of my work. How you ever got to be a ranking member of anything is totally amazing."

Posted by: constans | July 14, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Not a particularly brilliant moment. We'd both like to see more women on the courts. ooh, so smart. She has been unable to follow certain questions altogether, such as Orrin Hatch's line of questioning about the status of gun ownership rights under the second amendment. Go back and look at it. He had to explain more to her than to the audience.

Posted by: truck1 | July 14, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Sessions is too oblivious and partisan to ever be embarrassed. He's just a good ole Southern white boy, the heart and soul of the Republican party.

Posted by: glewiss | July 14, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

...And a spectator in the gallery twittered: "PWNED!"

Posted by: theorajones1 | July 14, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Man in Theatre Line: Oh, really? Well, it just so happens I teach a class at Columbia called "TV, Media and Culture." So I think my insights into Mr. McLuhan, well, have a great deal of validity!

Alvy Singer: Oh, do ya? Well, that's funny, because I happen to have Mr. McLuhan right here, so, so, yeah, just let me...

[pulls McLuhan out from behind a nearby poster]

Alvy Singer: come over here for a second... tell him!

Marshall McLuhan: I heard what you were saying! You know nothing of my work! You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing!

Alvy Singer: Boy, if life were only like this!

Posted by: seanmcarroll | July 14, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

truck1 you talking about the business with the nunchucks? Because Hatch didn't even seem to know how a pair of chucks actually work. It's already on youtube being laughed at by thousands.

Posted by: fishermansblues | July 14, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The additional spice here comes from the fact that Cedarbaum and Sessions were both nominated for the Federal bench at the same time. Cedarbaum was confirmed and has had a distinguished career. Senator Sessions was rejected as a racist.

Posted by: ljfamily | July 14, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I have been impressed by Judge Sotomayor's relaxed manner, deliberate articulation of the facts and her views, and sheer presence. I am not a lawyer, but my impression is that her legal arguments are quite sound as well. Against that backdrop some of the senators come across as churlish and somewhat volatile in temperament.

Posted by: pneogy | July 14, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse