Second Try

My editor complained that Optimus Prime's appearance on David Letterman, which I used as today's lunch break, "was really not funny." Hmph. But surely we can all agree that this Transformers FAQ is funny, right?

NOTE FROM EZRA'S EDITOR: I do think that's funnier, but you should be warned that it contains strong language.

By Ezra Klein  |  July 8, 2009; 4:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Praise of Chats
Next: More on Administrative Costs in Medicare

Comments

That was hilarious. Thanks. I saw the movie and enjoyed myself, despite all the ridiculousness. I loved the action, but the comedy and plot were really awful. Although I dont think I appreciated how absurd the movie was until I read this guy's Q&A.

Posted by: JohnN79 | July 8, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

It really bothers me that we have to hear from your editor, whether directly or indirectly. Never happened at your previous employer.

Posted by: scott1959 | July 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post is, like, several thousand years old. It doesn't deal in smut like that link!

More seriously, the Post has copy guidelines about obscenities. Family newspaper and all that. My editor asked if she could put that at the bottom. I could have put it in my own voice if I felt like it, but I thought this, well, slightly funnier.

Posted by: Ezra Klein | July 8, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

why weren't there any lady-voiced transformers? Something for Megan Fox to talk with. (taking over a co-ed's body to use as chum doesn't count)

Posted by: bdballard | July 8, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Ezra, did you seriously kinda-sorta praise this movie the other day? How are we supposed to trust your thoughts on health care or Waxman-Markey when a link from Topless Robot can completely eviscerate another of your blog posts?

Posted by: Chris_O | July 8, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, the FAQ does contain quite a bit of 'everyday' language (I wouldn't call it 'strong, but since WaPo's virginal eyes must be protected - its a PG-13 rating). But I'm sure the FAQ raised more than a few "Oh, My!" cries from the newsroom (and DC geriatric center that Broder runs).

But since your blog doesn't run in the dead trees version of WaPo, we must worry only about those under 13 who surf the content of The Washington Post.com.

If you slam your thumb in a drawer at work, are you allowed to say "damn!"?

Posted by: JimPortlandOR | July 8, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Actually Jim, more than one F-bomb in a movie makes it automatically rated R. It's a very stupid system, but it's the country we live in.

Posted by: Chris_O | July 8, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I thought having the editor's response there was funnier than if ezra had just said it.

Posted by: Drew_Miller_Hates_IDs_That_Dont_Allow_Spaces | July 8, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

forget optimus prime when you can have this with your lunch:-)
enjoy!

Posted by: jkaren | July 8, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

and...
breakfast, lunch or dinner,
you just gotta hear this!!
the great and amazing jessye norman
singing, "joy to my soul."

Posted by: jkaren | July 8, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

and save this for dessert...
just fabulous!!!
wynton marsalis and the incredible kathleen battle
doing "baroque duet."