Tab Dump

Peter Singer on the need to ration health care.

How Spencer Ackerman conquered Hollywood.

The wit and, well, wit, of Thomas Friedman.

CQ profiles Harry Reid.

Felix Salmon and Matt Goldstein liveblogged the Goldman Sachs earnings-call.

I'll be on Rachel Maddow tonight around 9:30 eastern. We'll talk some Sarah Palin.

By Ezra Klein  |  July 15, 2009; 6:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Economics of Suicide
Next: Ben Nelson Does Not Think You're Paying Attention

Comments

Really Peter Singer. The guy is a clown. He is the philosophy equvilant of Glenn Beck. He just says super outrages stuff so people pay attention to him.

Posted by: JonWa | July 15, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I've also never understood Peter Singer - he strikes me as just a grandstanding miserablist. The key sentence is "Health care is a scarce resource, and all scarce resources are rationed in one way or another."
By that definition, housing is rationed, food is rationed, water is rationed "in one way or another" - he's right! Good for him!

Obviously he is just being Mr. Ethics, and would be shocked, shocked to learn that people react differently to the word "rationing" than they do to say, the phrase "we can't afford everything" He gets no pleasure out of sticking a well timed stick into the spokes of the effort to get Americans universal healthcare, oh no, perish the thought.

Posted by: wp11239 | July 15, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

wow, the Peter Singer article is ridiculously bad. It's not that he considers and rejects Dean Baker's arguments for marginal-cost pricing, it's that he seems genuinely unaware of them.

Posted by: roublen | July 15, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Ezra,
I saw you tonight on MSNBC with Rachal Maddow and enjoyed your interview with her.
Could you post the link to your response to Sarah Palin's editorial commentary on cap-and-trade?
I can't find it.
I was especially interested in the way you researched her past and found that she had reversed her decisions.
Thanks,
Judy

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | July 15, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Judy-in-TX. Your interview with Rachal Maddow and supporting documentation was excellent and was by far the best summary of Palin's op-ed piece I have seen thus far.

For more on Baked Alaska and Sarah's Folly, see www.citizenpoet.com