Tab Dump

America's college crisis.

A conservative argues for better, and maybe even higher, taxes.

A food critic comes to terms with his appetite.

A good idea? That's gaining sponsors in the Senate? Unpossible!

Massachusetts moves away from fee-for-service.

I lied in my chat earlier. I said I was going to Palena for dinner. I think I'm actually going to do Two Amy's.

By Ezra Klein  |  July 16, 2009; 6:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Idea That Could Save Health-Care Reform
Next: An Interview With Bruce Bartlett

Comments

Not having heard of "Two Amy's" before, I read that last sentence incorrectly.

Very incorrectly.

Posted by: GhaleonEB | July 16, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Indeed.

If I was 25 years younger I might well have passed up dinner for the opportunity to 'do' even one Amy. But Two?

Ah to be young again! Though mostly gentlemen didn't announce such goals in advance.

Posted by: BruceWebb | July 16, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Talk about burying the lede. You do a huge post on how Wyden's DOA bill is the future of healthcare-reform-with-meaningful-cost-containment-and-system-reform, and then you bury a link to a story that finds Massachusetts, after passing a major health bill that was panned for only "expanding the current system" and focusing too much on the problem of the uninsured and under-insured, is now taking the unprecedented step of beginning to meaningfully address cost containment through system reform.

!!!!!

This is what makes me insane about people who make a living as left-leaning healthcare wonks. The reality is we can't possibly do everything in one bill. For one, it's politically impossible. For two, we don't really know enough about how to contain cost without compromising outcomes to use a tool as blunt as legislation to make it happen.

But the good news is WE DON'T HAVE TO DO IT ALL IN ONE FELL SWOOP. All we have to do is eliminate the option of cost-containment-by-uninsurance, and we'll start to move towards meaningful system change. Why do I think that? Because that's EXACTLY what happened in Massachusetts. It's what we're all primed to expect next. Accountable care organizations, re-admission policies, etc. Everyone knows that's the tip of the iceberg. And we CAN revisit those things every year, and grow them slowly. Yeah, it'll be a slog. But budget pressures won't go away and those options will always be preferable to straight cuts, so they will win.

So, let's shut up and pass the reform that's on the table. It's the necessary but not sufficient first step. And frankly, it's much more important and effective than any of us think it is.

Posted by: theorajones1 | July 17, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

My own tab dump: I'm kinda missing all the anti Israel, trigger fast blame of Israel for everything that went on in that region, holocaust denial and just plain old Jew hatin' that went on on your former blog. I think moving to the Post caused you to clean up your act in that regard -- like senator Byrd was forced to clean up his attitudes about afro Americans, once he moved on up to the senate.

Posted by: truck1 | July 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

On behalf of Amys everywhere, I thank you.

Posted by: ajw_93 | July 17, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse