Tab Dump

Just one today, because I really want you to read it.

Fred Hiatt interviews Barack Obama on the tensions, or lack thereof, between health-care reform and fiscal responsibility.

By Ezra Klein  |  July 22, 2009; 6:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nancy Pelosi on Health-Care Reform
Next: The Problems With the Federal Reserve -- and Its Alternatives

Comments

i still have my huge shepherd fairey poster of obama in my window. he still symbolizes hope and best intentions for me.
as i listen to his press conference, i feel more than ever, that we are blessed to have him as our president.

Posted by: jkaren | July 22, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Fred Hiatt? How will he tie together health care, fiscal responsibility, Bill Kristol and bombing Iran?

Posted by: glewiss | July 22, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I thought the president was pretty good tonight. Not flashy, but he was smart, educated on the issue, and did a good job separating some of the signal from the noise that's been making it's way around on TV and the internets.

Posted by: MosBen | July 22, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Karen, I'm with you. Every time I hear him speak I find myself marveling at the fact that we get to have a plainly competent and intelligent president again.

Posted by: MosBen | July 22, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm all about having a smart guy be president - it's a lovely change after the last 8 miserable years - but I think Obama needs to get real simple real fast on health care. That interview with Fred Hiatt gave me a headache. This part particularly:

"Now, the second idea, which is the one that got more attention, even though Elmendorf, I think, has emphasized the benefits of a MedPAC board, as well, was the elimination of the tax exclusion [on employer-provided health insurance]. And I've been very clear on my position that I think to add additional costs to families right now when they're already seeing their premiums doubled is not the kind of health reform that I'd like to see, but I believe that there may be ways of getting at the same principle.

For example, you could conceivably set up an index of some sort that makes sure that health care inflation -- or to make sure that the exclusion only accommodates a certain amount of health care inflation -- as opposed to 8 percent or 9 percent, or what have you -- without burdening current plans, but over time assuming -- if we're assuming that health care inflation is going to continue to be a problem, that you could get at the problem in that way."

Bees are on the what now?

We need some "with us or against us" messaging or we're this movement is going to be overrun by the very simplistic screeching that's coming from the other side.

Posted by: eRobin1 | July 22, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

regarding last week's post about "robin hood" films in recessionary times...
if you are so inclined, and suffer from insomnia, you can catch errol flynn and olivia de havilland, in "the adventures of robin hood" on turner classic movies tonight!

Posted by: jkaren | July 22, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse