Tab Dump

• You always hear about the really good health-care systems of other countries. But what about the really bad ones?

Pico Iyer on the Dalai Lama.

Did overconfidence cause the financial crash?

Making good hummus. (Actually, I've found that I prefer hummus made with toasted walnuts rather than tahini.)

Was Medicare a tactical error?

By Ezra Klein  |  July 23, 2009; 6:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Conditions for Cuts in Defense Spending
Next: The End of Bipartisanship?

Comments

"You always hear about the really good health-care systems of other countries. But what about the really bad ones?"

Three market-based muckups and a looney bin.

We're in such great company.

Posted by: pj_camp | July 23, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

It's difficult to believe that a good recipe could come from Cook's Illustrated. I find they tend to favor the bland, Yankee-infested tastebuds of Chris Kimble. There have been a handful of things I've tried that are quite good, but most of them are like library paste only not as tasty.

Equipment reviews are good, though.

Posted by: pj_camp | July 23, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Russia, China, Turkmenistan and Us! I'm so proud.

Posted by: eRobin1 | July 23, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, that's hilarious that you mentioned making hummus with toasted walnuts just two weeks after we did it at my house. I was dying for some homemade hummus and didn't feel like driving into town for tahini. But I had everything else. So my wife goes in the freezer and pulls out half a bag of walnuts, half a bag of hazelnuts, some sunflower seeds and some soy nuts. We threw them all in the toaster oven for a while, then ground them up with a little oil and voila, nut butter. Not only did it make a uniquely flavorful hummus that we inhaled, but we had a big jar of nut butter left over for spreading on crackers and apples for the rest of the week. Yummo.

Posted by: Rick00 | July 23, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

But what about the really good ones?

Why not write about them?

Posted by: lensch | July 24, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Believe it or not, natural peanut butter works for hummus nicely. It has the advantage of always being in my pantry along with the lemon, olive oil, garbanzos, and garlic.

Posted by: mcnichba | July 24, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

That ridiculous article calls the US private insurance market "under-regulated". Maybe mis-regulated, but we're certainly not under regulated.

Isn't a little presumptuous to even call what we have a system? It's a marketplace with a distorted third party payer system.

Why don't we try for a combination of high deductible catastrophic care coverage and the health care equivalent of food stamps? We need to have some kind of system where the high price of care actually puts downward pressure on demand. Right now we have a huge market distortion because most care is prepaid and consumers of health care have the incentive to spend more of everyone else's money, not less.

Posted by: staticvars | July 24, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse