The End of Crocs?

PH2009071503943.jpgThere aren't a lot of bright spots amid this recession, but here's one: The company that produces the nightmarishly ugly footwear known as "Crocs" looks to be headed toward bankruptcy.

I'm worried, however, that we're looking at this the wrong way: It's not that the crash signaled the end of Crocs, but that Crocs signaled the coming of the crash. Looking back, the fact that people bought 100 million pairs of the ugliest footwear ever made, and then began buying charms in order to add additional gaudiness to what were essentially pastel hospital slippers, should have been evidence that the amount of money sloshing through the economy had made us lose our minds. And the economic models break down in moments of societal insanity.

Photo credit: Charlie Neibergall -- Associated Press

By Ezra Klein  |  July 17, 2009; 3:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Delay Caucus
Next: Late Lunch Break

Comments

Crocs are the new Earth Shoes

Posted by: MerrillFrank | July 17, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

So, as Pets.com (thanks, Dean Baker) is to the dot.com bust, Crocs is to the current nightmare.

Posted by: eRobin1 | July 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Ugly but oh so comfortable.

Posted by: scott1959 | July 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Gawd, those things are indeed hideous. Good riddance!

I blame Crocs, along with the wearing of trainers while not actually engaging in sport, for the utterly dreadful way so many women walk when they put on high heels.

I think about fashion shows in the 70's and 80's, both the observed and the participated-in, and I don't remember models wiping out on runways while wearing heels the way they routinely do these days. Of course, so many of those girls are actually...girls. As in, fifteen or sixteen years old. *sigh*

Posted by: litbrit | July 17, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I never got the Crocs thing...though I never tried them on either.

Posted by: michaelterra | July 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I think crocs are hardly the ugliest footwear around, but I never have liked them. I'm proud to say I dissuaded my wife from buying a pair for our 2 year old daughter last week. The kid has a pair of sandals already! (Teva knockoffs -- now there's something that's uglier than crocs imho.) So what that the sandals are a bit too large. Paying money for new shoes for a 2 year old, shoes that look like they are nothing more than foamed crude oil with pink pigment, well, I just can't abide that.

litbrit: ugh! Sorry, but the fact that wearing comfortable footwear by day makes it harder for women to walk around in high heels with proper style come evening time is just more proof that high heels are evil and should go to the dustbin of history alongside foot binding.

Posted by: JonathanTE | July 17, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I own one pair of Crocs, without the perforations. They are quite handy when I work in the operating room to keep my feet from getting soaked in blood, and they are easy to clean. But I would never dream of wearing such ugly shoes outside of the hospital.

Posted by: drdr2 | July 17, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

They're glorified OR clogs, and hospital staff have known about them for eons. I buy an off brand -- two pair for $20.00. -- from a medical supply house. Good beach shoes, or to slip on to go down to the mailbox. I'll even wear them to work (i.e. to school) if I have a gout flare-up.

Posted by: davis_x_machina | July 17, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

do not leave your crocs in hot sun.
they shrink.

Posted by: jkaren | July 17, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

The company will go bankrupt, but the machines, designs, and brand will go on.

Posted by: albamus | July 18, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Would somebody please explain why I supposed to care if they're ugly and long as they're one of the most comfortable shoes made. Same with Teva. I wear clothes for comfort, and to my everlasting shame, I don't really care what you think about how I look.

Posted by: mzgir | July 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Really, really sloppy typing. Sorry.

Posted by: mzgir | July 18, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I've got a pair of Crocs, as well as a pair of their flip-flops.
They will shrink if left in the sun, but they're incredibly comfortable - especially the flip-flops. Quick drying, beach-ready footwear may not make sense inside the beltway, but here in the Florida Keys, many will mourn the loss of Crocs if they go under.

Do not judge a man until you've walked a mile in his ugly shoes.

Posted by: airmon | July 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope Life Is Good and the North Face join Crocs on the road to bankruptcy and extinction!

Posted by: Notsofastmyfriend | July 19, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I do not understand all the passion Crocs generate amongst people who otherwise never comment on anything fashion. And, it seems to me, it is always ``intellectuals'' make such comments.

What is it? Snobbishness? What?

Posted by: dmeburk | July 20, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse