Whatever Became of Biden?

The Los Angeles Times offers a much-needed update on the doings of Joe Biden. The story is upbeat on Biden's growing role in the administration, even as everyone who is quoted sounds a bit condescending of the vice president. So Biden appears to be doing quite a bit better than poor Hubert Humphrey, but it did remind me of this classic song:

By Ezra Klein  |  August 18, 2009; 11:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Health Care Does Become a Negotiation
Next: The Evolution of the Public Option

Comments

Joe's an old fashioned Democrat of the good kind. Wordy, a bit overimpressed with himself, but his heart is the heart of a man proud of his working class roots and sympathies. Nothing elitist that is objectionable. He's the aging family dog whose loyalty can't be questioned. So if he pees on the rug occasionally when he's excited, so what? Maybe he's past the point in age, experience and longtime friends that would make him the usual VP attack dog of the administration, but once again, so what?

I like Joe. I feel Joe's a friend of mine. He's neither the Dickish Cheney, nor the ignored Humphrey. Joe's a progressive Democrat, unabashedly.

Posted by: JimPortlandOR | August 18, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

First, let me say that I happen to like Joe Biden.

But Biden is easy to agitate and usually doesn't do a good "mad". If I were a Republican strategist, I'd try to get both Biden (and Dean) to speak often.

If I were a Democratic strategist, I'd suggest Obama be more professorial, less "campaigny", and try an "Old Coke, New Coke, Coke Classic" approach. If one tastes Old Coke and New Coke side-by-side, one notices a difference in taste; however, when New Coke is interjected, Coke Classic tastes just fine.

Posted by: rmgregory | August 18, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels that recent events cry out for Tom Lehrer's take.

Posted by: bean3 | August 18, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Poor Joe. I like the guy, but you can't deny he sticks his foot in his mouth too often.

I'm glad he's playing a big role in the administration, even if it's only behind the scenes.

Posted by: SteveCA1 | August 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Who is today's Tom Lerher? I would like to hear the Republican healthcare Waltz.

To the tune of the blue danube.

"No health care today, no, no, no, no
No public option, no, no, no, no
No health care today, no, no, no, no
No insurance regs, no, no, no, no
No cost saving steps, no, no, no, no
No logic to this, no, no, no, no"

etc...